Geocoin Question - W'as Up With This?

Nomenature

Hello all!

We just received a couple of coins we got from Coins and pins.com. In the little envelopes that come with this coins, there are instructions as how to activate each coin - which involves going to TravelTags.com But it also says that to track the progress of the coins, to go this same TravelTags.com website.

We wanted the coins to use in Cache's listed on this website. Am I missing something? Can we use these coins and leave them in cache's listed on this website? Does this website "hare info" with traveltags.com?

Help! we are confused and do not want to anger the GC Gods in anyway!

Muchas Gracias,

Nomenature

I have never seem a coin in a cache out here.

And you likely never will. They have a higher theft rate than travel bugs.

You will find one now and then. I've picked up three (and I've seen a couple others that I didn't pick up) and since they all had requests to keep them traveling I've treated them like travel bugs. One stalled about four months after I passed it on, one is still traveling, and one is still in my hands since I only found it last week and haven't been out caching again. But they do seem to go MIA quicker than regular travel bugs. At least as often as white and/or yellow jeeps.

If you want to collect them, buy them. Otherwise move them on into another cache.

Are geocoins allowed in caches I thought they were to be brought to events for everyone to get the number and log. I hope I don't start a fight with that.

Yes they are allowed in caches... I think thats the whole point of making them trackable :)

Of course coins are expensive so people don't often use them as travelers, and when they do they have a high(er) rate of going missing (vs. a TB). But yes finding them in caches does happen sometmes.

Are geocoins allowed in caches I thought they were to be brought to events for everyone to get the number and log. I hope I don't start a fight with that.

We find a lot of geocoins here in North Carolina in caches. They seem to be everywhere. I have found one myself as a FTF prize and acctivated it and placed it in a cache.

nvcw

After 4.5 years and almost 300 finds - I have seen only 1 real coin in a cache. 5 xerox copies of coins being passed around in caches. 2 log notes with trackable coin numbers in a cache and a long list of coin numbers in another. At events, I have seen well over 500 different coins being passed around. Usually in protective sleeves or in notebooks. Something wrong with that somehow. A GC.com tracking number seems only to say "I saw it".

At any rate - back to the OP - you will have to follow the coin's short life on the other web site.

Coins are starting to show up in caches. I have 3 right now that I got out of caches. Another one that was mailed to me to put into a cache. And 2 more that got mailed to me by mistake that I am getting ready to put out by request.

So they are becomming more common. At least here in the Grand Rapids MI area.

Team Sand Dollar

Hello all!

We just received a couple of coins we got from Coins and pins.com. In the little envelopes that come with this coins, there are instructions as how to activate each coin - which involves going to TravelTags.com But it also says that to track the progress of the coins, to go this same TravelTags.com website.

We wanted the coins to use in Cache's listed on this website. Am I missing something? Can we use these coins and leave them in cache's listed on this website? Does this website "hare info" with traveltags.com?

Muchas Gracias,

Nomenature

If you buy coins which arent tracked on geocaching.com, they are more likely to disappear. You have a higher rate of them going missing.

As for coins in caches, I have over 20 out there and more going out. I know of people who have over 50 in caches.

Good Luck.

Hello all!

Muchas Gracias,

Nomenature

You probably bought the Micro Mini geocoins, which aren't trackable on geocaching.com. So they won't be listed in caches that you drop them into. If you do register them on travelertags.com, they'll show up there. Geocaching.com and travelertags.com do not share geocoin info with each other. Hope that helps.

I tried registering at travelertags.com but had some problems. I sent them many emails, but they never once replied back so I gave up.

--Marky

I have a few travelers registered over there and have noticed that if you try and login and type even one letter wrong in either field you will not be able to get in without asking for a new password. I've learned to just cut and paste my pass and haven't had any problems since. Hope that helps :anicute:

On my main account, I have 38 USA coins out and 18 are still moving. I think six are in cacher's hands to log their travels. So, I am guessing about a dozen are still active. Most have been out since 2003. I have several out in three other accounts and most of those are gone, not all were stolen though. Several have gone MIA in caches that were destroyed by construction, fires, rock slides, etc... I have several other coins out, probably 30 or so in other accounts and I think they are all gone. Glen