The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Right then, My question...

The movie GET CARTER, starring Micheal Caine was set in the North East of England and is the subject of a number of themed caches which take you to the various places around the city where the film was shot.

I would like to know what are the christian names of the two Carter brothers?

Sorry for the delay in setting a new question? Too many parties at this time of year. :anitongue:

An easy one for this New Years Eve but don't try and get me to confirm the answer 'cos, you guessed it, another party.

A favorite film of mine (and starring Michael Caine) is the Ipcress File. In the story there is a frequently repeated phrase that's used during the brainwashing of agents/spys.

I want the phrase.

Good Luck and a Very Happy New Year to All...............

from - Carlos and the Birdie Crew

Sorry for the delay in setting a new question? Too many parties at this time of year. :anitongue:

An easy one for this New Years Eve but don't try and get me to confirm the answer 'cos, you guessed it, another party.

A favorite film of mine (and starring Michael Caine) is the Ipcress File. In the story there is a frequently repeated phrase that's used during the brainwashing of agents/spys.

I want the phrase.

Good Luck and a Very Happy New Year to All...............

from - Carlos and the Birdie Crew

Just a guess... :anitongue:

Could it be......

"You-are-getting-sleepy"

Cheers

Dave

OK a couple of clues.

Actor who quoted the phrase is Nigel Green.

Phrase has four words.

Three of the words (mixed up) are;

To Me Now

Find one word and the correct order and you win, yay!

Carlos

Well if the three words are mixed up I would guess they should read

Now ????? to me

so I'll have a guess at one of:

Now listen to me

Now speak to me

Now come to me

Now give it to me Matron :D oops sorry that must be a Carry On film.

I know this one...

Monty Hall is a game show host and the problem involves a game show with a yacht and two goats hidden behind three doors. You choose a door but before it is openned Monty opens one of the other doors to show you a goat. The question... to have the best chance of winning the yacht, should you stick with the door you chose or change to the other door that is closed?

I think the problem may become the next question :rolleyes:

Helen

Edited by T-girls

yacht and two goats hidden behind three doors. You choose a door but before it is openned Monty opens one of the another doors to show you a goat. The question... to have the best chance of winning the yacht should you stick with the door you chose or change to the other door that is closed?

You stand a 50:50 chance whichever you choose.

We should probably wait until MartyBartfast says that the answer is correct but I can tell you that is the wrong answer to the Monty Hall problem. It is the intuative answer but then probabilities are not always intuative :rolleyes:

To expand on the question... you need to answer the problem and explain why it is so,

Helen

We should probably wait until MartyBartfast says that the answer is correct but I can tell you that is the wrong answer to the Monty Hall problem. It is the intuative answer but then probabilities are not always intuative :rolleyes:

To expand on the question... you need to answer the problem and explain why it is so,

Helen

DING to T- Girls, although I think it was a car & not a yacht.

DONG to NickPick, if you stick you have a %33.3 chance of winning, if you swap you have a %66.6 chance of winning (i.e. you double your chances by swapping).

For an explaination and examples do a google for Monty.Hall.Problem

T-Girls - your go.

After some quick discussions we have come up with another probability question to keep the theme going...

What is the minimum number of people required in a group for the probability of two people sharing the same birthday to be greater than 1 in 2?

The answer may or may not surprise you :rolleyes:

Helen and Carolyn

After some quick discussions we have come up with another probability question to keep the theme going...

What is the minimum number of people required in a group for the probability of two people sharing the same birthday to be greater than 1 in 2?

The answer may or may not surprise you :rolleyes:

Helen and Carolyn

random guess.... 17!

Aaaah, the Birthday Problem! Answer is 23 people needed to have a probability greater than 50% :ph34r:

Well done Dorsetgal & GeoDog... We thought it may have lasted a bit longer. Most people expect it to be higher. It is a standard question in schools since the average class size is sufficient so if the teacher asked it as a bet it would be in his favour.

Next question please B)

Well done Dorsetgal & GeoDog... We thought it may have lasted a bit longer. Most people expect it to be higher. It is a standard question in schools since the average class size is sufficient so if the teacher asked it as a bet it would be in his favour.

Aye, but I AM a retired maths teacher :D

Ok next question.

Who died in a mysterious accident over the Thames estuary on this day in history.

I'd like the year and the persons name please.

Nay we don't have a daily newspaper ..

it's just one of those things I remember from too many management course trivia quizes . :lol:

Do I now need to set a question ?

Well here goes:

Who owned the Trucking Company that Elvis Presley once work for?

Bill

Edited by t.a.folk

it's just one of those things I remember from too many management course trivia quizes . :lol:

Well he goes:

Bill

A complete guess: 'Colonel' Tom Parker

it's just one of those things I remember from too many management course trivia quizes . :D

Well here goes:

Bill

McDonalds?

Apologies if we have posed a question with more than one answer .

We used two sources of reference when posing the question .

( 1) " The trucking company that Elvis worked for as a young man was owned by ? "

(2) "Elvis Presley once worked at a trucking company that was owned by ?"

Each source had the same famous entertainer as being the owner "?"

Sum total of our knowledge ,

Should we retract the question ?

Edited by t.a.folk

( 1) " The trucking company that Elvis worked for as a young man was owned by ? "

Tell us who you think is the owner... :)

DorsetGal came up with the answer that he drove for Crown Electric, My mum :anicute: said it was owned by Joseph Barry, after getting a no,no from T.A. Folks I found the answer of "Jim / Glady's Tipler"

If you have a definite answer then let the quiz continue (with a hint ;) ), but if you're not sure, then............... :huh:

Edited by Nediam

Tell us who you think is the owner... :huh:

DorsetGal came up with the answer that he drove for Crown Electric, My mum :anicute: said it was owned by Joseph Barry, after getting a no,no from T.A. Folks I found the answer of "Jim / Glady's Tipler"

If you have a definite answer then let the quiz continue (with a hint ;) ), but if you're not sure, then............... :)

It looks to me that the spirit of the quiz is being lost.

The original post set the ground rules of no googling and the level of questions to be "pub quiz" level.

It seems that recently neither of these guidelines are being followed.

a.

Tell us who you think is the owner... :huh:

If you have a definite answer then let the quiz continue (with a hint ;) ), but if you're not sure, then............... :)

Happy to and

for someone else to set a different answer ..please !!!

Origin of our question was we saw "(2) quote in a book book "A year with YOURS 2007 your essential handbook " (aimed at oldies !)

We then double checked answer by googling and found quote "(1)"

Answer = Frank Sinatra both times

Happy to and

for someone else to set a different answer ..please !!!

Origin of our question was we saw "(2) quote in a book book "A year with YOURS 2007 your essential handbook " (aimed at oldies !)

We then double checked answer by googling and found quote "(1)"

Answer = Frank Sinatra both times

Just Googled the "The trucking company that Elvis worked for as a young man was owned by" phrase and the two top hits fitted it best.

First hit was "Sixty Amazing-but-True Facts!" - Claims it to be true....but some of their other facts seem too bizarre :huh: e.g. "Every Labrador retriever dreams about bananas."

Second hit was "Are These True Facts? These are NOT true facts, but they sound good!" - Claims it to be made up....

Looks like it may have been a made up "fact" :anicute:

Edited by Nediam

I'll be cheeky and nip in with a picture round question :huh:

Below are 10 partial images taken from classic rock albums. I want the artists name and the album title for each picture. The "winner" will be whoever posts the last missing answer :anicute:;)

Coversquestions.jpg

(I have blatantly :) ripped off another quiz I've been "working on" recently and will post a link to the full on-line quiz once all the answers are revealed :wub: )

Edited by Nediam