The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Decca!

DING!! DONG!! MERRILY!! ON!! HIGH!!

Ah done, I take it the give away was the fact that one of the GEE/Decca slave stations was at Ventnor on the IoW. Anyway for those less well versed in the history of radio navigation than Dorsetgal & GeoDog:

• one of the first applications of what became Deccca Navigator was the sailing overnight of an armada o arrive off Normandy on the 3 June, 1944
  • The Decca Gramaphone Co (who also built the above navigator) turned down the Beatles instead signing the Rolling Stones. Interestingly DECCA was invented to combine their original name of the company with "Mecca" as in Achme
  • Jessica "Decca" Mitford, the only left wing sister wrote the seminal work on the funeral industry "The American Way of Death"

And now for something completely different:

What's the name and location of this building ...

quiz.jpg

;):santa::)

It's the Barclays HQ in Poole, don't know if the building has a specific name though,

EDIT - Perhaps HQ isn't the right word, but they have/had one of their main datacentres there & I worked in it for a day, & if I was going to name it I'd call it "The Ace of Clubs" 8-)

Edited by MartyBartfast

Ding Dong, Ding Dong for Marty!

Yes, it is Barclays House in Poole.

poole1.jpg

Occupying a prime location in the heart of Poole. Built in 1976 and has a current occupancy of approx 2600 staff.

I used to work for a Barclays subsidiary and had to go here for a 1 day meeting years ago, I'm pretty amazed that I recognised it!

Anyway, in keeping with the festive season (sort of), and there's no need to google, as I'm sure someone will have the answer after lunch tomorrow :-

What do you call someone who makes clothes for rabbits?

BTW Merry Chrimbo & all that ...

What do you call someone who makes clothes for rabbits?

Making clothes fromrabbits I would say would be a Conyer, as there certainly were Conyers (you drive past a village named after them on the way from Bury to Diss and of course Norwich City's training ground is at Colney Lane.

I'll have to wait for the crackers though to find out about about making clother for rabbits; obsessive maybe? :laughing:

3 (1+2)

6 (1+2+3)

10 (1+2+3+4)

15 (1+2+3+4+5)

21 (1+2+3+4+5+6)

28 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7)

36 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8)

45 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9)

55 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)

66 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11)

78 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12)

Total 364.

Edit to fix the final row as the 10 was missing - The line totals and final number remain unchanged.

Edited by Simply Paul

:lol: Hmmmmm. It rather depends on whether you would consider the partridge and the pear tree as two presents on the first day. If so, then the sum becomes 2+4+7+11+16 etc = 376

Personally, I'd have that bird plucked and stuffed and into the oven roasting, while I went out into the garden to get the pear tree planted before dark :)

MrsB :)

376? (Thats counting the partridge and the pear tree as 2 items)

Given that the partridge in a pear tree represents the propitiatory sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, then the idea of the partridge and the pear tree as two separate gifts is a non sequitur. Given that johnmelad is sitting back watching us all run around in circles, here are my thoughts.

Basically it depends:

• theologically (after all we are talking about a Christian catechism) the answer is one as God the Fathers gift of his Son is the supreme gift.
  • however in its use of the 364 individual items the catechism is driving home the concept that God's grace to the individual Christian are beyond bound; hence God's gifts are infinite.
  • then again some of the gifts make no sense as individual items, for instance the nine lords a leaping are the gift (singular) of the Spirit and so are not 9 separate gifts (plural), but represent at least 9 different ways that the the gift of the Spirit expresses itself.

Could ramble on some more but I've got a Christmas Pudding to serve and Creme Anglais to make. :)

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

[*]then again some of the gifts make no sense as individual items, for instance the nine lords a leaping are the gift (singular) of the Spirit and so are not 9 separate gifts (plural), but represent at least 9 different ways that the the gift of the Spirit expresses itself.

(Ten Lords a Leaping)

A common interpretation of Nine Ladies Dancing is ...

The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peace, 4) patience, 5) kindness,

6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control. (Galatians 5:22)

3 (1+2)

6 (1+2+3)

10 (1+2+3+4)

15 (1+2+3+4+5)

21 (1+2+3+4+5+6)

28 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7)

36 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8)

45 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9)

55 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)

66 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11)

78 (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12)

Total 364.

Edit to fix the final row as the 10 was missing - The line totals and final number remain unchanged.

DING[/color]

Wendy gets the Ding, although Caeser may have helped :o:D

There's over 400 recognised breeds of dog, but as they can all interbreed (in theory. Not sure there are too many Great Dane/Pekingese hybrids out there) they're all one species. I've always thought this was a strange definition of species, because Lions and Tigers are clearly different species, but can produce Tigons and Ligers... Anyway, over to you Wendy!

Edited by Simply Paul
On the other hand, it may not be, the tower is too rounded...
Yep the tower is too round, like a football. This fella is from Berlin and is called Fernsehtum, I think?
tn-berlin-towering.jpgtn-berlin-tower-night.jpg

Click a picture to see a bigger version. The football pattern is a give-away. It was like that for the World Cup, which makes it Germany, which makes it Berlin, which does make it the Berliner Fernsehturm (your spelling close enough!) or more simply 'The Television Tower'. Built in 1969, at 365m (1197ft) tall it's the second tallest free-standing structure in Europe and looks just like a Bond villain's lair inside. There's a veiwing platform at 666ft and a rotating restaurant which turns every 30 minutes above it. So, a big ol' Ding! to Carlos & The Birdie Crew. Over to you!

Edited by Simply Paul