The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

OK. What's the connection between blue, white, 1926 and a very bad memory.

The last time Chester Cty FC won anything that resembles silverware?

*hazel Runs......!!!

That's a vile slur! Chester were Debenhams Cup Winners 1976/77. They're still trying to win the saucer...

At the start of the FA cup final, the cup has two sets of ribbons tied on it (unless both teams normally wear the same colour). Did they forget to remove the ribbons representing the losers of the FA cup before presenting it to the winners?

Nothing to do with Scotland, Zoomlens.

Part of it does relate to the FA Cup, but not the cup itself or the ribbons.

Well the 1926 FA Cup final was Man City (Blue shirts I think) and Bolton Wanderes (White shirts I think).

Did one team forget to bring the right strip, and so both had to play in their second strip?

No, it's not related to a team that played in the FA Cup.

So if it's not the cup or a team.......how about a ground/stadium? Is it to do with Wembley?

I didn't say it wasn't a team :(

It's not related to a ground.

Edited by Pieman

So if it's not the cup or a team.......how about a ground/stadium? Is it to do with Wembley?

I didn't say it wasn't a team B)

It's not related to a ground.

B)B):)

Right, So it has something to do with the FA cup and a team, but not a team that played in the FA cup.

Is it still a football team?

If so, is it a team that for some reason didn't qualify for the cup? B)

B)B)B)

Right, So it has something to do with the FA cup and a team, but not a team that played in the FA cup.

If so, is it a team that for some reason didn't qualify for the cup? :)

Right in everything except the last sentence (it is a football team), which should be the clue that does it. An extra point if you also point out the particular relevance of the colours.

Edited by Pieman
:D:D:D

If so, is it a team that for some reason didn't qualify for the cup? :)

Right in everything except the last sentence (it is a football team), which should be the clue that does it. An extra point if you also point out the particular relevance of the colours.

So, did the ol' Blue & Whites qualify then forget to turn up so didn't play? (Or not turn up until 1926 ie nearly 4 1/2 hours after kick off :D )

O.K., how about:

In 1926 QPR adopted the blue & white strip, but it must have addled their brains 'cos they forgot to enter the FA cup.

and yes I did Google, and Wiki'd

CORRECT! :D

Blimey! his questions are as hard as his caches!!!! :):D:D

I even consulted our local football genius/encyclopedia and he didn't have a clue..............he is now sacked! :D

Come on then Marty lets have another :D

Edited by Nediam

Since Marty technically cheated to provide his answer, all I need to say to claim the Ding is, "In 1926 QPR adopted the blue & white strip, but it must have addled their brains 'cos they forgot to enter the FA cup." - I did not consult any illegal online resources to bring you this answer :):D

.....but someone else found it for you....

Since Marty technically cheated to provide his answer, ...

Be honest, if I hadn't cheated then we'd still be guessing next Christmas, and at least I confessed my crime!

Anyway what connects the following, and who's missing:

A fictional detective.

One of he three kings of the Nativity.

A particularly old bloke.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Be honest, if I hadn't cheated then we'd still be guessing next Christmas, and at least I confessed my crime!

A fictional detective.

I wish I could grow a tache like Magnum

I wanted to be Balthasar in the nativity - i was just a stable boy :)

"Methusela lived nine hundred years"

They all liked the bubbly, certainly. Along with Jeroboam, Rehoboam, Salmanazar and my old mate Nebuchadnezzer (that's 20 bottles!!!!)

A fictional detective.

They all liked the bubbly, certainly. Along with Jeroboam, Rehoboam, Salmanazar and my old mate Nebuchadnezzer (that's 20 bottles!!!!)

Well that didn't last long.

DING.

A fictional detective.

DING.

That probably says more about my drinkning habits than it says about you!

Ok - an easy one. If you were to find yourself in space without any form of protection, how would you die?

A fictional detective.

DING.

That probably says more about my drinkning habits than it says about you!

Ok - an easy one. If you were to find yourself in space without any form of protection, how would you die?

Asphixyation.

Since Marty technically cheated to provide his answer, all I need to say to claim the Ding is, "In 1926 QPR adopted the blue & white strip, but it must have addled their brains 'cos they forgot to enter the FA cup." - I did not consult any illegal online resources to bring you this answer :):D
But that's not against the rules. Marty makes a very good point about 'otherwise we'd be here til next Christmas' though :D

Anyway, I was rereading 2001 last night and suspect the answer ZL's looking for is Hypoxia.

Hmmmm

actually, this quesiton is a little rubbish - technically speaking it should be hypoxia, not asphyxia...

Provided you breathe out, you won't explode. But then it's all down hill from there. Some bloating will occur due to water held in the muscles and so on, although the skin will stop you from going bang.

After that you will start to asphyxiate, and your skin will go blue. After this point, your blood pressure drops to a level where it starts to boil (the bends, but worse), causing your heart to stop.

Hypoxia is what you die of.

Anyone else fancy setting a question with a more specific correct answer?

But that's not against the rules. Marty makes a very good point about 'otherwise we'd be here til next Christmas' though :D

Anyway, I was rereading 2001 last night and suspect the answer ZL's looking for is Hypoxia.

Ding, by the way.

Darn cross-postage! Anyway, staying with space accidents, who originally said, "Houston, we have a problem"?

Hmm... why do I feel like I'm heading for a QI Style alarm here - One of the guys from Apollo 13... although trying to avoid the buzzer, they didn't actually say that. They said something along the lines of "Houston, we've had a problem here"

Ok then,

Staying with Apollo - where was he born, why was he born there, and who were his parents?

edited as last part was unclear.

Zeus & another - doesn't narrow it down much - ?Leda, was this the swan thing, so born on a lake as Mrs Zeus had had enough of him playing away and banned a home birth :)

Staying with Apollo - where was he born, why was he born there, and who were his parents?

Zeus & another - doesn't narrow it down much - ?Leda, was this the swan thing, so born on a lake as Mrs Zeus had had enough of him playing away and banned a home birth :rolleyes:

Me thinks you mean Zeus and Leto. Apollo was born on the floating island of Delos because some of the other gods were jealous (in particular Hera, Zeus's sister/wife who was always "T"ed at Zeus for his extramarital activities as Archer4 pointed out) and put a curse on Leto so that she couldn't give birth on land or on the sea, so old Zeus conjured up this floating island that got around the problem and he then anchored after Artemis and Apollo (they were twins of course) had been born.

Interestingly enough Artemis is the trade name of a line of sight range & bearing positioning system, which is where I first came across the story of the mythical twins and their mobile birthplace. Of course getting away from NASA's Apollo programme their is also an ESA Artemis space programme which I think has some link with the WAAS dgps corrections.

EDITED - raided Boba's Greek Myth book to find out more about Mrs Zeus aka Hera, daughter of Cronos and Rhea.

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Interestingly enough Artemis is the trade name of a line of sight range & bearing positioning system

A lovely system, and one of the few which is not at all obsolete as a result of DGPS. It is still a very useful for Dynamic Positioning close to reflective structures such as platforms and dockside. At short ranges (<600m) it's resolution/accuracy is just 10cm, which gives even the best DGPS systems a good run for their money. It's so good that in the early days of GPS we used to fool DP systems into accepting GPS data by smuggling it in under the guise of pseudo-Artemis.

DING DING DING.

OK so what word, which misleadingly sounds like it might be from Greek mythology, conects a the following three things:

• cross channel navigation on 3 June, 1944
  • rolling stones
  • the American way of death

Time for some hints I think (although for those in the know The Forester and my previous comment should set the pattern to get you to the correct answer :o)

• the first is neither Knickebein nor Lorentz
  • the second invoves the infamous rejection of some mis spelt coleoptera
  • the third was neither Nancy nor Daisy though she may well have loved cold climates

Oh yes and if that's no help then try increasing things by a factor of ten :o

OK so what word, which misleadingly sounds like it might be from Greek mythology, conects a the following three things:

• cross channel navigation on 3 June, 1944
  • rolling stones
  • the American way of death

OK so the next days hint, given that no one remembers which record company famously did not sign the Beatles and signed the Rolling Stones instead:

mono, di, tri, tetra, penta, hexa, hepta, octa, ..., de***