The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

I am going to accept that for the DING principly because I thought all the details were going to be easy for all you soccer buffs, and clearly it wasn't as easy as I thought! :lol:

Ted McDougal scored a triple hat trick in the FA Cup first round in November 1971 against Margate, and the final score was 11-0.

I know, cos I was there supporting the Cherries! :lol:

Over to you Sharpeset.

I am going to accept that for the DING principly because I thought all the details were going to be easy for all you soccer buffs, and clearly it wasn't as easy as I thought! :blink:

Ted McDougal scored a triple hat trick in the FA Cup first round in November 1971 against Margate, and the final score was 11-0.

I know, cos I was there supporting the Cherries! :laughing:

Over to you Sharpeset.

Thanks Dorsetgal - (from an ex-Dorsetboy, Weymouth to be precise)

Apologies for delay in setting question, but Big Brother doesn't allow access to 'hobby' websites at work.

Keeping to a sporting theme, who can tell me the names of the four Horseracing courses in England whose name doesn't include any of the letters from the word R-A-C-E. Shouldn't be too difficult...

Ding goes to the supplier of the fourth one....giddyup!

Pete

That's the one, over to you....

Thought so, my sister works for the Tote :blink::laughing:

Right, next up something a little different:-

Spot the Difference!

std4.jpg

There are six differences to be found.

To give your answers you can either describe the difference or use photoshop etc to highlight it.

Not sure how this will work but we'll give it a go.

Ding goes to whoever gets the last difference

Edited by Nediam

lever knobs are different colours, red in one blue in the other,

The left hand pictures has some little coloured squares where the right hand one has some screwheads

The knobs to the left of robots left shoulder are just cicles in the right picture

his helmet has yellow bits in the right pic but grey in the other

me thinks Nediam is struggling with various quizzes so is posting them on here so we get the answers for him :laughing:

Edited by The Nutters

The left hand pictures has some little coloured squares where the right hand one has some screwheads

The knobs to the left of robots left shoulder are just cicles in the right picture

That's 4 out of the 6 :huh:

me thinks Nediam is struggling with various quizzes so is posting them on here so we get the answers for him :P

:P:laughing::blink::huh:

Edited by Nediam

That's 4 out of the 6 :huh:

me thinks Nediam is struggling with various quizzes so is posting them on here so we get the answers for him :P

:P:laughing::blink::huh:

the keyboard on the right has two extra buttons;

to the left of the robot's hip there are graphs. In one the red line is above the blue, in the other the blue is above the red...

Edited to say "Darn, just too late!"

Edited by Sharpeset

Ding!

Well done Dorsetgal & GeoDog :huh: Over to you for the next one....

Bad luck Sharpeset, pipped to the post by 1 minute :laughing::P

By the way, it took me ages to notice the red and blue wavy lines! :huh: (I blame the cheap monitor :blink:)

Edited by Nediam

Okey dokey, on your marks, get set, go!

Name the largest natural harbour in Europe for the DING please.

Vigo (Spain)? I seem to remember our tour guide boasting when we there in '95....

Edited: I'm reminded by my other half that Vigo is the deepest... and with Poole on her doorstep I'm sure Dorsetgal is using her local knowledge so I defer to Forester!

Edited by Sharpeset

I suppose the Sea of Marmara is technically the largest as it is absolutely huge and a vast area of it is used by Instanbul's shipping as a harbour, but half of it is actually in Asia, so I'll stick with my Poole answer.

Anyway, I think someone called Dorsetgal might just have her own ideas what merits a ding on this! Onne of those qustions where there's a clue in the question.

Ding for Helen!

It was a trick question. There has never been a saint by the name of Kilda. The islands are called St Kilda, not Saint Kilda.

The vikings called the islands Skildur which means shields because the shape of the islands looked rather like their own shields.

St Kilda is a Gaelic or English corruption of the name "Skildur" into the spurious separation into two parts, "St" and "Kilda". Nothing to do with Saint or St at all.

Good guess.

Royal Air Force pilots did fly, with distinction and some victories, against Argentine aircraft during the Falklands campaign, but they flew Sea Harriers belonging to the Fleet Air Arm which is a subset of the Royal Navy, not the RAF.

The RAF's Harriers were being shipped out there aboard Atlantic Conveyor which was sunk by Argentine Exocet before the aircraft could be offloaded.

No RAF pilot shot down any enemy aircraft with any RAF aircraft at any time during the Falklands campaign.

The version of the origin of the name St Kilda which I believe is the Scandihooligan one, but that's perhaps 'cos I have Scand roots myself and speak Norwegian.

There certainly are a phenomenal number of islands around the Scottish coast which have Norse names to this day. As a general rule, any island whose name ends with "ay" or "oy" is usually an Anglicised version of a Norse name, as the word Øy means island in Norse/Norwegian.

Modern Icelandic is the Scandiwegian language which is closest to Old Norse and vikings would be able to converse with a modern Icelander without any difficulty.

Another reason why I'm inclined to believe the Norse theory of the St Kilda name is that vikings would quite certainly have seen and perhaps investigated those islands and would quite certainly have given them a collective name and perhaps individual names.

Yup, that's a ding for Carlos. Correct in every particular.

Quite surprising that the RAF haven't shot down any enemy (they have shot down one or two of their own!) aircraft at all in almost 60 years. Makes you wonder why we're spending Billions buying super-expensive Typhoon fighters when we don't seem to have much use for that sort of thing.

OK while we are touching on planes, heres mine. A none googleable one methinks.

I once worked at Stanstead Airport and in late 86 early 87 (can't remember exactly) Rolls Royce went public.

RR had a day of RR engined planes throughout the company's history. Every one either landed or took off that day, except one. Now guessing the one would be too easy so I want the first plane that did a take off /flyby /landing and the one that didn't touch the Stanstead runway on that day.

Carlos

PS Confirmation ding will be in the morning cos I'm off to the land of nod :laughing: