The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

OK, a bit more down to earth...

There are only 4 countries in the world that have only one vowel in their name.

No googling or looking at maps to begin with please as three of them should be fairly easy. Just to make it clear Y does not count as a vowel.

A ding will be given for the fourth correct answer submitted...

Helen

Edited by T-girls

No googling or looking at maps to begin with please as three of them should be fairly easy. Just to make it clear Y does not count as a vowel.

Helen

Chad

Egypt

Cuba

Does Japan count as 1 vowel or 2?

[EDIT must be 2 otherwise there'd be loads]

Edited by MartyBartfast

Helen

Chad

Egypt

Cuba

Does Japan count as 1 vowel or 2?

[EDIT must be 2 otherwise there'd be loads]

Cough, cough, word in your ear.....Cuba has 2 vowels :huh::huh::huh:

Mh lets see we have Chad, Egypy and Cyprus - so given the "y" hint that must leave:

Kyrgyzstan

Just had a chance to look over the answers; C and I have been in tears reading them :huh: It is amazing how you can suddenly become vowel blind :huh: Are you sure you didn't look at any maps :huh:

Ding ding ding ding...

Over to Jango & Boba Fett...

Helen

PS Sorry Bongtwashes I did mean the english versions of the names; my fault.

Ding ding ding ding...

I have been keeping an eye on thunderbird30's facinating series of caches called The Water of Life - .... Now I am currently based on a Scottish Island which is less than 40 miles from the only Scottish isle which forms a distinct region directly related to thunderbird30's cache series. So the question is:

To which island do I refer and can you provide at least three names that might feature in future thunderbird30 caches on that island.

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Ding ding ding ding...

I have been keeping an eye on thunderbird30's facinating series of caches called The Water of Life - .... Now I am currently based on a Scottish Island which is less than 40 miles from the only Scottish isle which forms a distinct region directly related to thunderbird30's cache series. So the question is:

To which island do I refer and can you provide at least three names that might feature in future thunderbird30 caches on that island.

I take it that we are allowed to use the internet on this one? Else it's gonna be real tricky :huh::huh:

I take it that we are allowed to use the internet on this one? Else it's gonna be real tricky :huh::huh:

Obviously you will need to check up on thunderbird30's cache series to see what the theme is, but from then on it should be an internet surfing free zone. However you may find it quite usuful to visit a local hostelry in search of inspiration, often found on shelves behind the bar. :huh::huh:

Is it the "Black Isle" a region famed for whisky production, but not actually an island?

With regards to more names that could feature - thunderbird30 seems to have a lot covered. I don't know that many whiskies but did visit the Glen Ord distillery, not sure if it's part of the Black Isle though.

As I'm currently reading Hamish Haswell-Smith's excellent book, The Scottish Islands, A comprehensive guide' I think I can answer this. Not least as there's a map of island distilleries on page 500 (there's a LOT of Scottish islands, obviously!) - My money's on Islay, as that's the only one with at least three. Take your pick from Bannahabhain, Bruichladdich, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg.

Edit - I just noticed Caol Ila too. It looked like it was on Jura, but that has only one, called Craighouse. I say this as a non-drinker :huh:

Edited by Simply Paul

.....I take it the names of the distilleries don't correspond to the name of their produce?

I think a lot of them do. I've only visited a few distilleries and they all called their whisky by the name of the distillery. The different drinks were usually denoted by their age (12 year old, 15 year old, 25 year old etc) or sometimes, if they produce it in a slightly different way, they may give it an extra name, such as Bowmore "Dusk" which is stored in ex bourbon casks and then finished in an ex red wine cask.

Another distillery I went to was Glen Ord who simply call their whisky "Glen Ord" :huh:

Edited by Nediam

As I'm currently reading Hamish Haswell-Smith's excellent book, The Scottish Islands, A comprehensive guide' I think I can answer this. Not least as there's a map of island distilleries on page 500 (there's a LOT of Scottish islands, obviously!) - My money's on Islay, as that's the only one with at least three. Take your pick from Bannahabhain, Bruichladdich, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg.

Edit - I just noticed Caol Ila too. It looked like it was on Jura, but that has only one, called Craighouse. I say this as a non-drinker :huh:

Ding Ding, Time Please

And of course you could memtion some of the silent distileries too such as Port Ellen and Lochindaal amoungst several other silent distilleries.

Ding-a-roonie! Well done chizu. As the Bongtwashers said, from one side of the Earth you can see a little way onto the moon's far side, and from the other side, more again. And then there's the wobble... It all adds up to an extra 9% over the 50% you'd expect to be able to see.

Wow I really didn't expect to get that.... ok, what TV show is my sig line a quote from (chosen since I went to school with one of the stars in it)? No googling please!

Ding-a-roonie! Well done chizu. As the Bongtwashers said, from one side of the Earth you can see a little way onto the moon's far side, and from the other side, more again. And then there's the wobble... It all adds up to an extra 9% over the 50% you'd expect to be able to see.

Wow I really didn't expect to get that.... ok, what TV show is my sig line a quote from (chosen since I went to school with one of the stars in it)? No googling please!

Guess: Coupling.