NAVSTAR Geocoin

crake

Well, its finally here. I started this project in December - 20 art iterations and 2 sets of dies later, I present...

NAVSTAR!

NS_2006_Web.jpg

1.75" Nickel/24k Gold

GC Trackable with custom icon

Reservations can be made at http://crakephoto.com/coins/NAVSTAR/reservation

I'm going to place the mint order on May 1 so any reservations by then will be filled when the coins arrive in mid-May. Reservations/orders placed later may have to wait until after GW4.

Enjoy!

Edited by Eartha

Its coming down to the finish! Apparently everyone and their uncle are trying to use the laser etcher at the same time :D

In the event that I don't get these in time (which would result in a sad, lonely drive to Dallas), those who selected GW4 for pickup will have their orders mailed afterwards.

Bought a NAVSTAR Geocoin at GW4, very pleased with this one! Took a few minutes to explain about NAVSTAR to my parents after they looked at it:)

That's awesome - this is actually one of the main reasons I did the coin, since its the heart of geocaching :rolleyes:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these coins! All domestic preorders and most international are now shipped, and there still remains a small stack of international awaiting postage and then all orders. I plan to be cleared of all pending orders (or at least have all acounted for) by Saturday.

I got my 2 geocoins today. They are great!!! :)

Love the way you package them to :) Takes a few minutes to open but your coins are always in good shape when they arrive.

LOL - I know what you mean. When I mispack an order and I need to get the coins back out of the mailer, it takes a lot of effort and some really sharp scissors. No torn mailers here :(

So, what's the connection with USNO? Sure, they're a user, but they don't run GPS. I'm a bit confused.

The USNO's Master Clock is the official time keeper for the GPS. The Composite Clock of GPS is directly linked to the UTC(USNO), with a varience allowed of a microsecond or less. The USNO is more than a user; they are the linchpin of the whole system. If the timing gets out of whack at all, there can be no surety that any measurements are accurate. Check out this website: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/gps.html; click on the second link down for more info. The first link has a number of sub-links that are records of all kinds of mathematical data accumualted on variances, smoothing, comparisons of World UTC to UTC(USNO), etc. Kind of dry, but also interesting if you like math :laughing:

Edited by chaosmanor

The USNO is more than a user; they are the linchpin of the whole system. If the timing gets out of whack at all, there can be no surety that any measurements are accurate.

Okay, I was too simplistic in my question. Sure, USNO provides timing corrections to provide UTC from the GPS time. So yes, they are more than just a user.

To me, "US Naval Observatory NAVSTAR GPS" implies USNO is running the show. From my knowledge, GPS is a product of the DoD and is run by the Air Force.

I got all excited when I saw there was a NAVSTAR geocoin, but I'm thrown off by the inclusion of USNO. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing or if it's just misleadingly titled.

NAVSTAR GPS is a Joint Program and managed by the 50th Space Wing's 2nd Space Operations Squadron at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. The US Coast Guard operates the Navigation Information Service which is the civillian interface for GPS. The US Naval Observatory is the official time keeper.

It may be a little misleading I admit. I was focused on time keeping (came of the heels of the Tracking Time geocoin) and USNO's role in the matter.