Gorillapod - Compact/portable Camera Tripod

I ran across this portable tripod while looking for a good portable and small tripod for my geocaching jaunts. It's called the gorillapod. I was just wondering if anyone has used one or has heard how well they work?

Also any suggestions on a small portable tripod are welcome. I'm thinking of something that will fit easily in a day pack. Thanks ahead of time. :lol:

I cache alone and use an UltrapodII for those self portraits my family thinks are another example of my lack of sanity (as if geocaching weren't enough). Sometimes I find myself in a place where I want a picture with me in it. The Ultrapod can be strapped to a tree. Small fits easily in backpack.

I too use an UltrapodII - pretty sweet small tripod that easily fits into the pack, and velcro wraps around small trees.

However, this gorillapod thing looks sweet. You don't need a flat surface, or the proper sized branch. Might have to pick one of these up! Thanks for the link!

The Gorillapod looks pretty cool but a bit on the large side. I've used an Ultrapod and Ultrapod II for years with good results. I like that they can be used like a regular tripod, or fastened to tree branches or poles. The regular Ultrapod fits in the palm of your hand and the Ultrapod II isn't much bigger. I think I might check out that Gorillapod though.

82060.jpg82059.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I have a folding mini-tripod that's very similar to the Ultrapods, but lacks the swivel head. I see that REI.com has the Ultrapod I for 10.00 and the II for 15.00. When my 'pod gets lost or broken, I'll snag one of these as a replacement--they look great!

The Gorillapod (20.00 REI) looks clever, but I wonder if it isn't a solution in search of a problem. I haven't caught myself wishing that I could wrap my tripod around a tree branch; I've always been able to find some surface I could stand it on or velcro it to.

I too have an Ultrapod and love it, but that Gorillapod looks awfully interesting.

I have a mini tripod and I have troble getting a level picture whil balancing it on a rock, tree stump, whichever. I think I will try the gorillapod to see if it can balance better in wierd positions and uneven surfaces.

Gimmick alert.

Sorry folks, any tripod can stand on an uneven surface, that's why they have three legs. Three is the magic number because you can describe a plane using any three points in space.

Seems like 'ease of leveling &stablizing' is the issue. Sure and three legged tripod can balance ya', but how easy is it to modify leg length to get level? Seems like this would be a lot easier than flipping a lock, trying to position it and relock it.

Gimmick alert.

Sorry folks, any tripod can stand on an uneven surface, that's why they have three legs. Three is the magic number because you can describe a plane using any three points in space.

Ah, theoretically correct, but in the real world, that doesn't mean much. It's very easy to flip a small tripod with a camera on it if the plane of the legs is not flat and/or the camera weight is not evenly distributed. The gorrila pod would allow easy manipulation of the legs to counteract this problem.

Gimmick alert.

True, but you can't easily attach a normal tripod to a tree limb. :P Personally, I kinda like the versatility ofthis thing. Might have to get me one.

I saw the Gorillapod mentioned on another forum, and it received good reviews there. I plan to get one for an upcoming trip. Amazon has them for just over $20.

I wonder if my G3 is over the weight limit though. It's kind of a big camera.

Since this thread is a few months old... has anyone here got and tried a Gorillapod?

Jamie

I have owned and used a gorillapod since about a week after the OP last year...it is way better than any other tripod that I have owned/used/seen.

It weighs a couple of ounces, takes up a negligible amount of space (perhaps a touch more then the one the briansnat showed), and can set up and support your camera on surfaces that simply would not work for an ordinary tripod...it is infinitely adjustable as regards levelling.

The hidden bonus is that the legs are bendable enough, and rubberized enough, to grab onto vertical stuff like trees, vines, poles, etc....thus making picture possible in places where there aren't other things to rest an ordinary tripod on up off of the ground...the perspective makes lots of my shots look as though there is another person with me, taking the picture.

All in all, a great geocaching accessory.

Jamie - NFA

I wonder if my G3 is over the weight limit though. It's kind of a big camera.
My S3 is on the heavy side for the regular pod. They have a heftier version I'll be picking up as soon as I get a little extra. It's about twice as much as the regular.
If yours is on the heavy side, there is no way it could handle my 20d. Edited by sbell111
My S3 is on the heavy side for the regular pod. They have a heftier version I'll be picking up as soon as I get a little extra. It's about twice as much as the regular.

Nikon Coolpix S3? Fuji Finepix S3? Canon Powershot S3?

Jamie

I suspect that they mean the Canon. The Fuji Finepix is way too heavy. According to the B&H catalog, it is 26 ounces. The Canon is 14.5 oz. The Nikon is small enough at 4.8 oz. The Gorillapod has a load capacity of 12.5 oz.

There is an SLR gorilla pod that holds my Nikon D70s just fine (provided I don't try to extend it really far sideways)

I also use an ultrapod II for hiking and such since it folds up nice and small (and flat!) - the gorilla pod is nice but bulky... for those long hikes to a cache site, try the ultrapod II

Nikon Coolpix S3? Fuji Finepix S3? Canon Powershot S3?

Jamie

I didn't realize there was more than one. It is the Canon S3 IS.

Looking at the GorillaPod site, I see they now have 3 versions. The largest will handle an SLR with a zoom lens. I will need the middle one for the Canon S3. My Canon A75 could use the smallest one.

Run .. don't walk, to go buy this. I was fortunate that the store I was looking for a trekking pole/monopod in didn't have what I want. The salesperson suggested the gorillapod. I tried it on a chain they had as a divider and it worked perfectly. It takes up a little more room than the mini tripod I had been using but will work anywhere .. and I mean anywhere. Its legs have rubber all along its length so it is very grippy. I attached it to a fence, used it as a tripod on a rock, and even used it on my gear s***. This thing works! And it feels very solid.

You will thank yourself for buying this. I do. Thank you Chris.

Keep an eye on ihavetohavethat.com. Every now and then you'll find a smaller cheaper version of the gorilla pod on sale there...usually priced two for one.

I've bought several and used them as give aways at events. They work great with small digital cameras.