Avoiding Dangerous Animals

Since I am new I am going to ask a dumb question. When you come upon a cache in a hole and it's not entirely visible, what is the best way to get it out without risking a bite or strike? We live in an area with alot of porcupines, skunks, etc. and safety is somewhat important. What about in the desert? How do you go about reaching in and avoiding snakes, scorpions, etc.? I realize that common sense plays a big role, but then again sticking your hand into a hole in a tree isn't really sensible, is it? Do you personally use inspection mirrors, gloves, flashlights or something else?

Always bring gloves (very handy) for reaching in holes, shifting rocks, etc. Walking sticks are also great for poking around with. Two garage-type tools that were recently pointed out to me that could be handy are the little mirror on the telescoping rod and the little claw-on-stick for pickin up dropped nuts and bolts. Both collapse to the size of a ball point pen and will probably go in my swag back soon.

I bring gloves, flashlight and inspection mirrors. The hiking staff/trekking pole makes for a great pokey stick to poke into questionable areas before I get close. They also make for a great tool to knock down those spider webs spanning the path or trail to catch that unspecting hiker. :rolleyes:

I've often wondered if those rattlesnakes really do exist in Michigan, because I've never seen one after years in the outdoors and dealing with all kinds of snakes. I don't know anyone who's ever came across one either. :rolleyes: They must be extremely rare, I'd love to see one one of these days though.

The most dangerous critter I've messed with in Michigan was a snapping turtle that nearly took my fingers off while fishing. For some reason, they don't like being picked up by their tail :P

I've often wondered if those rattlesnakes really do exist in Michigan, because I've never seen one after years in the outdoors and dealing with all kinds of snakes. I don't know anyone who's ever came across one either. :rolleyes: They must be extremely rare, I'd love to see one one of these days though.

The most dangerous critter I've messed with in Michigan was a snapping turtle that nearly took my fingers off while fishing. For some reason, they don't like being picked up by their tail :P

I've seen them in Ontario, near Tobermorey and in Georgian Bay area. As well there are lots of Black Bears in the central part of the province. Some bears have even been seen within 60 km of Toronto.

there isn't any dangerous animals in Michigan, lol

I honestly have never thought about this while out caching.

I have seen dogs go into stumps and come out full of quills. I can't even imagine sticking my hand in a hole and grabbing a porcupine. Aside from that the most dangerous thing that might hide in a hole here is a skunk or other rodent. We have plenty of wolves, bears, coyotes, moose and even a few cougars in the Upper Peninsula but those don't bother me. It's the ones you can't see that I'm worried about finding.

We are going out to the Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon in Nevada in two weeks. That's where I'm worried about snake encounters.

I've spent the last several years building up an immunity to most neuro- and tetrodotoxins.

Including iocaine powder?

Inconceivable!

:D

Kindly re-read the forum guidelines, paying closer attention to the section prohibiting direct references or allusions to The Princess Bride.

inigo.jpg

You keep using that word. I do not believe it means what you think it means.

(OK, I'll stop now. That was just too good to resist. We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic)

Personally, I've gotten nervous at a few caches when they were in drain tubes and such once or twice. But the worst thing we have around here is generally going to be things like spiders. I need to get a walking stick, that's for certain- once I start hitting up a few areas on the Columbia River further out from my home environs, I imagine the chances for a close encounter will go up dramatically.

there isn't any dangerous animals in Michigan, lol

I honestly have never thought about this while out caching.

We have plenty of wolves, bears, coyotes, moose and even a few cougars in the Upper Peninsula but those don't bother me. It's the ones you can't see that I'm worried about finding.

We dont have those kind of critters in Houston, the gators eat them.... :D

Edited by One of the Texas Vikings

Always bring gloves (very handy) for reaching in holes, shifting rocks, etc. Walking sticks are also great for poking around with. Two garage-type tools that were recently pointed out to me that could be handy are the little mirror on the telescoping rod and the little claw-on-stick for pickin up dropped nuts and bolts. Both collapse to the size of a ball point pen and will probably go in my swag back soon.

Nah, too much to remember and carry. I just bring along a couple of M-80's for the smaller holes and quarter stick for the bigger ones. :ph34r::P:D:)

Actually, this brings up something I was thinking about last night- I'm going to be going after some survey markers on the Columbia River, some of which are pretty far out in the sticks. I'm concerned less about animals than I am humans. Some areas have clandestine marijuana fields and meth labs out in the woods. I don't carry weapons and wouldn't on a survey mark hunt, but I'm looking at bringing a friend along and making sure I've got a satellite phone or something in case of running across some less than desirable elements out there.

Some areas have clandestine marijuana fields and meth labs out in the woods. I don't carry weapons and wouldn't on a survey mark hunt, but I'm looking at bringing a friend along and making sure I've got a satellite phone or something in case of running across some less than desirable elements out there.
Two words: flame thrower!
Some areas have clandestine marijuana fields and meth labs out in the woods. I don't carry weapons and wouldn't on a survey mark hunt, but I'm looking at bringing a friend along and making sure I've got a satellite phone or something in case of running across some less than desirable elements out there.
Two words: flame thrower!

Yeah, because starting a fire in the woods at a hazardous waste site or booby-trapped marijuana field is a good idea.

I kind of like the bring a friend or family member one. Unfortunatly most of my friends run faster than i do. Then i learnt that running triggers most attack instincts in bears, wolves those sort of creatures. I encourage my friends and kids to run away from me. Now if you want something really scary then avoid close encounters with moose. The best bear attractant is a dog annoying it. Why is it dogs like to annoy big creatures with teeth and then hide behind you.