Ethical Geocaching

I would be grateful for some advice.

Last year I purchased a German Geocoin which I released (in replica) in a new cache with the mission of visiting caches near RAF/Luftwaffe sites. ( TBMMZ3 )

The FTF took it for his cache bash the following week at the end of October 2005. This was OK by me, and when I emailed him to congratulate him on his FTF I asked if he could pass it on to someone soon who would keep it moving.

Apparently, it was passed to a local experienced cacher from the event cache but he's held on to it ever since, despite him knowing I wanted it placed back in a physical cache. Despite my (courteous!) emails, nothing has happened until last month when he's logged it onto an event cache that was due to take place in 5 weeks time! This will mean he will have hung on to it for over 4 months, presumably so that he can have the kudos of turning up at an event with an unusual coin.

This seems to cut across the whole idea of keeping TBs moving, and is nothing to do with the coin's mission. I wanted the coin to circulate in physical caches, so as to encourage other people out and about to visit historical sites. I e-mailed the 2nd geocacher several times to ask him to actually drop it off in a regular cache, but he is not responding. I think it's fine if people want to keep their own geocoins in store and just give them an airing at event caches, but it seems pretty mean to do that with other people's coins contrary to the owner's wishes.

What do other cachers think?

I agree with you. Taking it to the event was fine. However it should have left the event with someone ready to go caching so they could leave it in a cache. It's a simple enough at an event to find someone who can best help a coin/tb towards it's goal.

However some TB # Whores don't really play that game. They have another version.

I'd be peeved in one sense, but phlegmatic in another: once a TB / Coin is out in the wild then candidly anything can happen to it. You did the right thing to chivvy it along, and repeated chivvies may have the desired effect - but dont lose sleep about it. My UK Heritage GeoCoin is now in South Africa: doubtless it will at some stage reappear in the UK.

I can't see the point in taking a replica German geocoin to an event. It's not like genuine German geocoins are particularly unusual either, so I say try to stick to a coins mission and place it in a cache at least, especially when the coin page says "no events".

I would be grateful for some advice.

Last year I purchased a German Geocoin which I released (in replica) in a new cache with the mission of visiting caches near RAF/Luftwaffe sites. ( TBMMZ3 )

The FTF took it for his cache bash the following week at the end of October 2005. This was OK by me, and when I emailed him to congratulate him on his FTF I asked if he could pass it on to someone soon who would keep it moving.

Apparently, it was passed to a local experienced cacher from the event cache but he's held on to it ever since, despite him knowing I wanted it placed back in a physical cache. Despite my (courteous!) emails, nothing has happened until last month when he's logged it onto an event cache that was due to take place in 5 weeks time! This will mean he will have hung on to it for over 4 months, presumably so that he can have the kudos of turning up at an event with an unusual coin.

This seems to cut across the whole idea of keeping TBs moving, and is nothing to do with the coin's mission. I wanted the coin to circulate in physical caches, so as to encourage other people out and about to visit historical sites. I e-mailed the 2nd geocacher several times to ask him to actually drop it off in a regular cache, but he is not responding. I think it's fine if people want to keep their own geocoins in store and just give them an airing at event caches, but it seems pretty mean to do that with other people's coins contrary to the owner's wishes.

What do other cachers think?

Name and shame.

For what it is worth I have tried to contact this cacher regarding a missing cache and have never had a reply. It could be that he just does “not do email” rather than being avoiding you. It is annoying but do we want to make responding to email compulsory to hold a GC.COM login?

As for holding on to the coin IF he knew it was against your wishes, I agree it is totally unacceptable. I notice the coin is going in to the London event now. Perhaps you could make contact with someone trustworthy who is attending to have a POLITE word, retrieve the coin and get it back in circulation.

all my coins i drill a hole in them and put a laminate with this on

I set this coin out to visit caches with a hole in it to make it worthless to collectors as I understand that these coins are often perceived as collectable, but please do not keep it as it spoils it for other cachers. The rules of the game are up to the individual, but I feel swapping tracking numbers by email to get the logo is isn't really part of caching, so I'd prefer it if you'd only log my coins if you've actually seen them in person. Thanks :o

I really dont want my coins logged at events as i want them to travel around and if they were i would be very tempted to delete the logs but thats my personal opinion :ph34r:

As for holding on to the coin IF he knew it was against your wishes, I agree it is totally unacceptable. I notice the coin is going in to the London event now. Perhaps you could make contact with someone trustworthy who is attending to have a POLITE word, retrieve the coin and get it back in circulation.

I have met and know this cacher, and I hope to also be attending the London Event. I'll do my best to get hold of it there and place it quickley. Can't promise a 'themed' cache though, if thats OK.

Oh, and we're pretty trustworthy!

If "the polite email" or the "gentle nudge" does not work then perhaps we should have a "name and shame" attitude towards them.

We all release TB's and Geocoins in the hope to see them travel, and i think most if us can accept when one goes missing due to a cache being "muggled".

But, when "one of our own" picks it up and will not release it, then i think that this is very wrong...........NAME AND SHAME them. :ph34r:

Name and shame probably isn't going to get you anywhere... I have found in the past that when faced by a problem like this if you post a note on one of their cache/bug pages that often gets a result.

Remember there may be a genuine reason why your email messages are not getting through, so try another form of contact before going down the name and "shame" route. This is only a game after all, lets try and play nice.

I'm really grateful to the caching community for offering their views on this on the forum, and those who emailed me privately.

Apparently, peer pressure works! The person in question has obviously read this forum, and has now decided to drop it back into circulation via one of his local caches.

Thanks to everyone.

I'm really grateful to the caching community for offering their views on this on the forum, and those who emailed me privately.

Apparently, peer pressure works! The person in question has obviously read this forum, and has now decided to drop it back into circulation via one of his local caches.

Thanks to everyone.

BINGO!!! Boy that's what I call a result, well done everyone. :D