PDA Software Suggestions

magical_memories

I am currently using GPX Spinner and Plucker. Lately Plucker has been freezing up while spinning. I went to report the bug to Plucker and found that another cacher had already reported it so I added my comments to that bug report.

Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a workaround?

If you use GPX Spinner, what do you use to load the cache pages to your PDA.

I tried Mobi Pocket a while back and did not care for it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You didn't say if you used a Palm or PPC based PDA. IF you are a Palm user then Cachemate would be the way to go and only costs 8 bux, a great deal. I'm not a PPC user but have heard that Mapolis is used by many PPC users. Also GSAK is probably the best cache management tool around. Hope that helps. Haffy6

Bigtime n00b here when it comes to the PDA/paperless caching. I just was provided with a Treo 650 (my boss loves me). I decided to play with it and low & behold I have it almost figured out. Lurking around here for quite some time I decided to give cachemate a try. Got what I needed on the CPU/phone and downloaded some .LOC files and sent them to the phone. Guess what it worked.

I guess the point I am trying to get to is that I am somewhat CPU stupid and if I can fudge my way through all this technology and get what I want (well GPX is the next step) just by pushing some buttons and clicking anyone could do it. I do not know any other software so I can't give any fair input but cachemate was pretty easy.

You didn't say if you used a Palm or PPC based PDA. IF you are a Palm user then Cachemate would be the way to go and only costs 8 bux, a great deal. I'm not a PPC user but have heard that Mapolis is used by many PPC users. Also GSAK is probably the best cache management tool around. Hope that helps. Haffy6

I don't think that Cachemate vs mapoplis is a fair comparison. Cachemate vs GPXSonar might be a closer comparison for PPC users. Though I must admit that I have no direct experience with mapoplis, I have tried GPXSonar and it is very similar to Cachemate.

Thank you for posting these links! :D I have been wanting to go paperless for a while now but didn't have a clue how to go about it. These sites were very helpful. I've already gone to ebay to find a pda and I've already downloaded GSAK so I can play around with it for a while before my pda arrives...

Sue

Edited by The Fat Cats

right from my second find I decided paperless was the way to go. I looked at all the software and tried it all too and settled on Cachemate and GSAK over the free route.

GSAK is not real user friendly to start but the forum there solves everything quickly. Clyde himself usually answers your ??? right away.

cachemate is just plain simple and does everything you can think of for paperless.

I really like how gsak automatically loads the cachemate file for the next sync

I'm using the PocketPC but haven't found programs like GPX Sonar and Cachemate to be all that useful for me. Main reason is that I also use my PPC for GPS, and found that BeeLine GPS does an awesome job of this. The beauty is that it has paperless built in - so on the map showing all the caches around you, you can simply tap an icon and bring up the info.

I also found that one of the best and easiest methods to just browse caches is to use GSAK and have it generate HTML. While it may be a pain to copy the 2-5mb of html files to the device, the setup of the files is awesome. This takes much less memory than programs like GPX Sonar (which would lock up if I loaded it while BeeLine GPS was loaded).

-al