Forums

codeman3

I recently have placed a cache in Pa. Since it was my first one, i had lots of ques. that weren't all in the handbook or whatever it was. So I posted 4 thats rite 4 threads that were more of ques. And i got responses. Now I thought that was part if what the forums were rite? But recently in an argumental thread lets say, i was told by an monitor not mentioning any names, said most caches arnt even posted on the forums? i was just wandering whats up with that?

ThanQ

I applaud your exitement about hiding a new cache, thanks for putting one out. If it was a question about your cache ask away. If it was just a general announcement that you placed a new cache I can see his point. Most people don't post to the forums when they hide a cache. If they did, with the amount of caches hidden every day the forums would be loaded with "Check out my new cache" threads. :o

I applaud your exitement about hiding a new cache, thanks for putting one out. If it was a question about your cache ask away. If it was just a general announcement that you placed a new cache I can see his point. Most people don't post to the forums when they hide a cache. If they did, with the amount of caches hidden every day the forums would be loaded with "Check out my new cache" threads. :o

yea but the only reason that i posted my new cache is because where the cache is, is a very remote area and nobody had placed a cache in over 1 year i think it was and someone might have some how missed it.

yea but the only reason that i posted my new cache is because where the cache is, is a very remote area and nobody had placed a cache in over 1 year i think it was and someone might have some how missed it.

We dovoted cachers rarely if ever miss a new cache placed within our normal caching areas. Also keep in mind that less than 5% of cachers ever drop by in the forums.

We dovoted cachers rarely if ever miss a new cache placed within our normal caching areas. Also keep in mind that less than 5% of cachers ever drop by in the forums.

Yeah, and 90% of those don't need a warning meter ... :o

I've read your thread for that cache. The single thread for a new cache in a remote area is fine, but I wouldn't push it farther than that. I have 11 caches placed and never needed to post in the forums about them. Most cachers do not use the forums, so your are only targeting a small audience anyway.

I've read your thread for that cache. The single thread for a new cache in a remote area is fine, but I wouldn't push it farther than that. I have 11 caches placed and never needed to post in the forums about them. Most cachers do not use the forums, so your are only targeting a small audience anyway.

I would disagree with that. Consider the number of caches that are posted each day, and how many people would also think that they, too, have special circumstances that warrant an announcement of their cache in the forums.

There are already notification systems in place. The weekly mailing already lists all new caches within a hundred mile radius. Pocket Queries can give cover an even larger area.

so why dont we or they create a new forum for "caches"?

make it a forum for posting new ones, and asking ques. about placeing them.

that way when its not in the "book" we can ask it there in that forum.

A forum for posting new caches isn't needed because of pocket queries, search features, and new cache notification emails, etc already covered in this thread.

A forum for asking questions about cache placement isn't needed because you can do that here already.

While it is uncommon to announce your cache on the forums it is not unheard of. Sometimes, in the Getting Started section, a newbie will post how exciting it is to place their first cache. The thread may result in a bunch of messages welcoming the person to geocaching and discussing how much fun it can be to read the logs as people find your cache. Other times the thread turns into a discussion of whether there should be a requirement to find some number of caches before you hide one. Sometimes a cacher hides a cache they think is unique or perhaps a particularly tough puzzle. This may result in people from outside the area putting the cache on their watch list. Puzzle caches are sometimes solved by people who may never get to the area where the cache is hidden. Sometimes, people announce their caches in a thread on a related topic. I've listed my caches in threads on caches that go unfound, and several times I've listed the cache I have with a "trade down" theme in threads on why people leave junk in caches. I think we would be on a slippery slope to ban announcing or promoting caches in the forums. In most cases, this would just result in a thread that drops down the list rather quickly, so I don't see the harm in doing this.

Forums are for discussing anything even remotely geocaching related.

That includes any and all caches and it includes trade rags like El Diablo's.

It's not common to discuss an individual cache before it's listed but it seems to go over better than discussing it after it's been rejected for listing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

so why dont we or they create a new forum for "caches"?

make it a forum for posting new ones,

There is simply too many caches to post about individual ones.
and asking ques. about placeing them.

that way when its not in the "book" we can ask it there in that forum.

In "Getting Started" you can ask general questions, or use the SEARCH function to find old threads which deal with the topic. If you go to a local caching group, your questions about individual caches would be seen by more people who would know more details about the area. You are in Lancaster PA, try www.sepag.us

With the GC forums being International posting a specific cache won't get noticed. If you state / area has a "society" I would work with the forums in the group. I know I get most of my cache information at my local "club". That way you are targeting the people who would most likely hiding the cache.

I guess the regional section of these forums would do too... I don't go there much.

I was told by an monitor not mentioning any names, said most caches arnt even posted on the forums? i was just wandering whats up with that?

With hundreds of caches listed every week, if everyone started posting their caches in the forums pretty soon the pages would be filled with those kinds of posts. There are so many ways for people to find out about new caches that posting in the forums isn't necessary.

If there is something about a cache that is particularly interesting, you will sometimes see an announcement in the regional forums, but its the exception rather than the rule.

It depends on how you present it. If you just come out and say, "Here is my new cache." - That's bad form.

However, if you have some sort of a rationale and apologize all at the same time, then you can get away with it.

Like this, "I know this is a rather shameless plug, but I thought those of you who have thought this particular area to be completely void of caches might be interested in knowing there is finally a cache out there - called Finally a Cache"

Most times you'll get a pass, especially if you're humble announcing it. :anicute:

Oh, and keep it in the regional forums.

Edited by Alan2