New Twist On Paypal Spoofs

MO Outdoorfamily

Just a heads up since I know we all use papypal so much to order coins. I just got a paypal email that was not legit. This was not the usual "We suspect fraud so please verify your information or your account will be suspended".

This looked very similar to the email you would get after making a payment to someone. It showed I had paid for a watch at nearly $400. Which wouldn't have surprised me because my husband has been known to splurge on such things on occassion and pay them back to the credit card over a couple months with his money.

I immediately opened my paypal account in a totally different web browser, checked the history and noted this payment does not show on my paypal account (therefore my husband didn't buy anything and forget to tell me last night). Then I looked more carefully, on my main email screen it showed the sender as "PayPal", they usually say "Service@Paypal" when I get hte legit emails. I also noticed near the bottom of an email was a "Dispute this charge" link which usually doesn't appear in the legit emails either, I scrolled over to it and it went to some address with a .uk extension in it, I didn't click it to find out where exactly it went.

If you see any email of htis nature you should immediately forward them to spoof@paypal.com

I've received those also. Except mine was showing like I paid for an engine.

Even the link looks close. However the big thing to notice is if you move you mouse over the hyperlink it will start http://paypal.xx.x.xx instead of httpS://paypal.xxx.xxx.

Your advice is the best. If you receive ANY type of e-mail about any type of account you should log into it on aseperate browser and NEVER use the links in the e-mail.

Here is yet another that I was made aware of today.

There was a recent ebay auction by one of our forum members that raised a lot of money for a good cause. I guess some of the bidders that didn't win received "Second Chance Offers" with a link to pay in it. The only problem was this offer came from someone other than the original seller!

If you have OutLook Express you can set it up so the email message is viewed in the lower window pane. This way you can view the message without opening the email. You can then do a right click in the upper pane on the email (which will not open the email) and go to properties. You can view the details of the email account it came from.

Happy Caching

Thank you so much for posting this thread!

Not only can the bidder be deceived, but the seller of the auction could be disgraced wrongfully!

Just last night I got emails from several of the bidders of the PA Black Nickel coin, who got these bogus "second chance" spoofs. What makes this situation so horrible is that there was only the ONE single Black Nickel coin available!!! The spoof's suggestion that there were multiple coins available just wasn't possible and went against the entire premise of the auction, and there I am looking like a liar and having to explain to bidders who trusted me. That's BS, and I want answers from eBay.

I'm outraged that this could happen. I want to know how the heck are these hackers getting the bidders email addresses that are supposed to be so guarded by eBay? Is this some kind of inside job? eBay has always been a target, but man...somebody hacked them big time here, and I can only hope nobody lost any money over this.

Not only can the bidder be deceived, but the seller of the auction could be disgraced wrongfully!

Just last night I got emails from several of the bidders of the PA Black Nickel coin, who got these bogus "second chance" spoofs. What makes this situation so horrible is that there was only the ONE single Black Nickel coin available!!! The spoof's suggestion that there were multiple coins available just wasn't possible and went against the entire premise of the auction, and there I am looking like a liar and having to explain to bidders who trusted me. That's BS, and I want answers from eBay.

I'm outraged that this could happen. I want to know how the heck are these hackers getting the bidders email addresses that are supposed to be so guarded by eBay? Is this some kind of inside job? eBay has always been a target, but man...somebody hacked them big time here, and I can only hope nobody lost any money over this.

I didn't click any of the links in that spoof email, but I hovered the mouse over them and they all looked like legit ebayl links. I think the only way to have gotten taken is to actually reply to the sender's email address.

No ill feelings from me YemonYime :blink:

Just last night I got emails from several of the bidders of the PA Black Nickel coin, who got these bogus "second chance" spoofs.  What makes this situation so horrible is that there was only the ONE single Black Nickel coin available!!!  The spoof's suggestion that there were multiple coins available just wasn't possible and went against the entire premise of the auction, and there I am looking like a liar and having to explain to bidders who trusted me.  That's BS, and I want answers from eBay.

I made a post about this exact issue almost a month ago.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1875220

I'm outraged that this could happen.  I want to know how the heck are these hackers getting the bidders email addresses that are supposed to be so guarded by eBay?  Is this some kind of inside job?  eBay has always been a target, but man...somebody hacked them big time here, and I can only hope nobody lost any money over this.

What the scammers do is look at the list of bidders by clicking the # of bids link. Then they e-mail each of the bidders through Ebay. The sender makes up some story about why their account doesn't match the sellers, then goes on to explain that the original bidder backed out and they can buy the item. This scam is more popular the higher the dollar value of the auction item. Be sure to report the person to Ebay so they can suspend the account. Read the info on the following link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-un...ail-misuse.html

Just last night I got emails from several of the bidders of the PA Black Nickel coin, who got these bogus "second chance" spoofs.  What makes this situation so horrible is that there was only the ONE single Black Nickel coin available!!!  The spoof's suggestion that there were multiple coins available just wasn't possible and went against the entire premise of the auction, and there I am looking like a liar and having to explain to bidders who trusted me.  That's BS, and I want answers from eBay.

I made a post about this exact issue almost a month ago.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1875220

I'm outraged that this could happen.  I want to know how the heck are these hackers getting the bidders email addresses that are supposed to be so guarded by eBay?  Is this some kind of inside job?  eBay has always been a target, but man...somebody hacked them big time here, and I can only hope nobody lost any money over this.

What the scammers do is look at the list of bidders by clicking the # of bids link. Then they e-mail each of the bidders through Ebay. The sender makes up some story about why their account doesn't match the sellers, then goes on to explain that the original bidder backed out and they can buy the item. This scam is more popular the higher the dollar value of the auction item. Be sure to report the person to Ebay so they can suspend the account. Read the info on the following link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-un...ail-misuse.html

The email I received did not appear to come through Ebay.

I was a recipient of the bogus 'second chance' email on the Pennsylvania Black Nickel that YemonYime auctioned off. Altho it came through a Yahoo email account, the body of the email was an excellent replica of eBay presentation. Since I am an eBay innocent (basically never use it...until recently for danged geocoins), I didn't immediately grasp it was a spoof - what made me suspicious, however, was that I KNEW that DancesWithMoose was the confirmed winner (congrats again, gal!) and had paid. My thought was - huh? Did they decide to sell a second coin to further help the family? So (blush) I did reply and ask what the story was. They responded, with no confirming info but with request for my info (and claiming eBay secure transaction would commence), which told me it wasn't legit. So I did what I shoulda done first thing...emailed the seller through eBay, and of course YemonyYime (as I like to think of him) told me it was ca-ca.

No worries, YY, I never thought ill of you for a second. The info in this thread has been very helpful (as has AtlantaGal in email) in providing further tutelege on this stuff. I have never gotten an eBay spoof before, unlike the ones y'all describe, so this was new to me.

In case you're curious, below are the initial email I received, and the reply.

fabd6d21-06f7-4503-8e0e-c05ec8eed199.jpg

081425bc-4887-4d7b-a497-60ac9c08f0de.jpg

Interesting times....