Off Topic..space Cadets

The whole point is to show how thick the contestants are - I confess I am enjoying their stupidity. My favourite bit was where one described the idea of going into space as "Like Chessington World of Adventures times 10,000!" Even the actors planted among them seem pretty dim - even forgetting it isn't for real!

There is of course a theory that it is all a big joke on the public and it will turn out the contestants are all in on it - but they would have to be bloody good at acting stupid to have got this far.

The mistakes are deliberate I gather - one/several of the "whittle down the contestants" methods were tests of their suggestibility and willingness to believe almost anything despite all the evidence to the contrary.

The spoof is on the contestants, the viewers are in on the gag. The gag is better the more things we notice, so well spotted on the helicopter.

I'm enjoying it because there is something really wrong about shattering people's dreams :lol:

Its believable in the fact that they've chosen contenstants who know absolutely nothing about space/aviation & i guess wouldn't notice a non-russian helicopter in the dark against a russian one.

The Russian "meeter & greeter" was unbelievably over the top though :lol:

There is of course a theory that it is all a big joke on the public and it will turn out the contestants are all in on it - but they would have to be bloody good at acting stupid to have got this far.

It's funny that you should say that, that is Exactly what I was thinking this morning. I must admit having studied psycology i'm already hooked.

I know they picked the contestants for their 'suggestability', maybe the viewers that continue to watch also have this quality as well! :lol:

I think it is the viewer here that is being fooled and they will really go into space.

Not sure if the budget would run to that, but I was certainly fooled by "Michael Aspel fathered all these celebs" and, although I didn't see the programme, the story of "Dale Winton married Nell McAndrew". (Y'all did know that both of those were hoaxes, right ?)

Anyone spotted any others ?

Too many to list.

The Sqn Ldr, who's been retired for 8 (or was it 9?) years greeting the contestants in "Russia" (actually, the former RAF Bentwaters) in RAF uniform.

An ATR42 flying from the UK to Petropavlovsk, or wherever the hell the cosmodrome is supposed to be. Never mind the 12 idiots in what is clearly a turboprop singing "leaving on a jetplane".

As already noted, the SK-61. Russia is thick with Russian helicopters, but not many if any Sikorskys. For one thing, the rotor baldes go the wrong way round!

The idea that a space tourism outfit would charge the passengers less than $25,000,000 a head for a ride. C'mon, people!

The gobbledegook about the orbital height being so low that they will not be a micro-gravity ("zero G").

The list is too long.

I just wondered if I'm a greater idiot than the carefully selected idiots (by psychologists, if you please) for watching that daft pile of crap.

My biggest laugh was when one girl said something to the effect of "Ooh I can't believe we're going to Russia, not landing in Brighton or somewhere" (not her exact words, but she did say something to that effect).

Endolmol did well to hoodwink the sleepwalking British public into watching that fatuous Big Brother crap. They'll do even better if they can fool those 12 dozy specimens into believing the scenario for more than one or two episodes.

One of the other channels had the last laugh last night: they aired a re-run of Capricorn One. I particularly enjoyed the bit with OJ Simpson wearing gloves!

Will I watch the "space cadets" tonight? Hom hum, prolly I will. What a mug I am!!

I don't think that all of the "contestants" are actors. Although it's possible to try that scam, the risks are huge because every other TV station and newspaper would just love to be the one to blow the whistle when they found out and you can bet thet they're checking.

Here's a funny take on space cadets (contains some strong language though  :lol:  )

Very funny :lol:

Here's another space-based spoof, Alien in 30 seconds, re-enacted with bunnies. Contains mild peril, a chest-burster wearing rabbit ears and a 'goddamn'.

I've managed to miss all of Space Cadets thus far, but I will be tuning in to spot the errors as I'm a bit of a space cadet myself. :lol:

SP

Edited for spooling

Edited by Simply Paul
The plane didn't take them to the cosmodrome - it took them to Volgograd as part of the journey. Even so - the tailwind must have been impressive! Did they have any way of telling the time? You could easily fly someoen for three and a half hours in the dark and tell them it was five and a half and no-one would notice.

They confiscated all watches/mobile phones before they got on the plane.

Edit: And presumably all GPS devices which surely would give the game away straight off.

Edited by AriExplorer
Media can't "do" aviation - you only have to look at that current series on aircraft accidents to know that.

Last night there was a corker. A 737 had landed on a short runway (Rwy 31C at Midway, Chicago, known to pilots as "skidway") in a snowstorm with a tailwind component, with the predictable and understandable consequences.

The reporter on Faux News said something to the effect of: “By all accounts the airplane ran off the end of the runway, through the fence and through the sound barrier.” (The barrier he was referring to is an acoustical deadening barrier fence at the perimeter of that heavily urban airfield), showing a rather sad looking SouthWest Airlines 737 sitting with its head down on a crumpled nosegear at a city intersection.

The dizzy bimbette 'journalist' in the studio replied: “The sound barrier, isn’t that really fast? Why were the pilots flying that fast on landing?”.

:lol:

The dizzy bimbette 'journalist' in the studio replied: “The sound barrier, isn’t that really fast? Why were the pilots flying that fast on landing?”.

;)

This is my favourite... can you spot the deliberate mistake? Or perhaps they have the truth about why it broke up?

cnngetsitwrong.jpg

Edited by kbootb

I can't say I'm impressed. From this side of the screen it looks like 'Let's get a bunch of not very bright people together in a room and take the p*ss out of them' - which doesn't seem very big or clever television to me. I'm shocked no one has cottoned on yet, but as Christof says in The Truman Show, "We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented"... and one in 20 people is in the bottom 5% of intelligence, of course.

SP ;)

never watched big brother, celebrity or any of this garbage. too many people trying to get their 15 mins of fame by doing dumb things.

populated by open mouthed oxygen theives!

confiscated all their watches etc and presumably gps's? these muppets owning gps's why? to find the local chippy or pub? ;)

i would love to think there's a twist in the tale but i think we'll find it was just a scam on the contestants....

I always thought the bottom 5% of intelligence were there for our amusement anyway! Or are they just there to watch eastenders? :huh:

That 5% isn't there to watch Eastenders, they write it. :P

If I had access to a room full of idiots I'd not play dialysis with them. The very least I'd do is get them to give me all their money. If you'd like to know more about how I'd do this -or you could- just send a cheque or postal order for £20 to cover registration to Paul Smith c/o PO Box....

SP :huh:

The whole point of the show is to feed them as much false information as possible to see how far they can push them. Yesterday they more or less said they where still in the UK, but no one cottoned on!

If it is all true then they are really gullible, and so are we for watching it (that includes me).

If they do pull it off, they will get a large lump sum payment, get taken to Russia, trained correctly to fly on the Zero Gravity Flight, and then get to go on the flight. That alone would be worth it all.

One thing that is completely correct though, is that they are undoubtedly SPACE CADETS!! :(:(

Thw whole show is a hoax I think the one with the dreadlocks Ryan saved Gordon Ramseys life according to the blood donation people http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/flashAdvert5L.htm

Wow, that's a hell of a likeness (and you have a hell of a memory).

However, I just checked Ryan's bio page and either Channel 4 have very imaginative writers - including writing the lamest April Fool's "joke" you could imagine - or else he really is just a total and utter, um, candidate for employment here.

I always thought the bottom 5% of intelligence were there for our amusement anyway! Or are they just there to watch eastenders? :D

That 5% isn't there to watch Eastenders, they write it. :D

If I had access to a room full of idiots I'd not play dialysis with them. The very least I'd do is get them to give me all their money. If you'd like to know more about how I'd do this -or you could- just send a cheque or postal order for £20 to cover registration to Paul Smith c/o PO Box....

SP :unsure:

Cheques in the post Paul.......Doh!

Watching that load of nonsense this evening, for the first time in several days, I realised that it has strinking similarities with three other hoaxes.

It reminds me of Orson Wells's War of the Worlds radio show hoax in the 1930s.

It also reminds me of the WMD hoax by Halliburton, TBLiar et al, in which they hoodwinked tens of millions into believing that we ought to go and pinch the Iraqi oilfields.

What I'm now wondering is just how few (and which) people in the show are not "in" on the big hoax.

I don't think the "actor" in the passenger compartment is in on it and I don't think the three females in the studio who appeared as friends/relatives of the passengers were in on it, though I think the male on the (screen) left of those four was a stooge.

The one individual whom I have not yet decided is in on it is the presenter. If he is, then he deserves an Oscar. He certainly appears to believe the that scam is working on the three apparent mugs. He seems to be wide-eyed in amazement at the double bluff that the the three "passengers keep repeating that they don't believe it's not for real.

The hoax creators have very clearly taken some very skilled professional advice from one or more clever psychologists in devising the illusion. The protracted and elaborate nature of the hoax reminds me so much of a devious hoax by a skilled and very expensively trained psychologists who has hoodwinked many people (including myself, for a while) by the same tricks which manipulate people's perceptions to create a totally false illusion. <Edit by Lactodorum>

For me, the fun of this prog will be seeing how and when Endomol 'fess up and show the audience that the dupes are the viewers and perhaps the "actor", not the three hired actors who are pretending to be IQreducer-wearing thickos.

Chalk one up for the tricky psychologists (again!). They've pulled a fast one.

Edited by Lactodorum
It reminds me of Orson Wells's War of the Worlds radio show hoax in the 1930s.

The Orson Wells broadcast was not a hoax, it was a mass hysterical misunderstanding due to -

The radio listeners, apparently, missed or did not listen to the introduction, which was: "The Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations present Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 'The War of the Worlds' by H. G. Wells."

They also failed to associate the program with the newspaper listening of the program, announced as "Today: 8:00-9:00--Play: H. G. Wells's 'War of the Worlds'--WABC." They ignored three additional announcements made during the broadcast emphasizing its fictional nature.

There was however a similar broadcast done in Caracas, Venezuela in 1950, it was so effective a mob burned the station down when they discovered it was a hoax. Some of the station personnel actually died.

Simply Paul Posted on Dec 17 2005, 05:47 PM

(Haggis Hunter @ Dec 17 2005, 04:39 PM)

(Matrix @ Dec 17 2005, 02:41 PM)

Well I got that wrong and I was so sure it was a double bluff

Stopped watching it a few nights ago due to work, what was the final outcome?

They didn't go into space. It was just a hoax :lol:

Oh well- I just lost £500 at Ladbrokes then :o