International Shipping Charges

Bambi&Thumper

Depending upon the coin size you can ship 5-10 coins in a small flat rate Global Priority mailer for $5.00 US. The mailer is free from the post office and the customs form 2976 is very easy to complete.

Downside is that you usually have to take it personally to the post office and in some areas that can be very time consuming so people are adding a handling fee to cover the hassle.

Hey, but what if you order 40+ coins and you are being charged $2 a coin, that is unfair, surely cost should proportionately decrease; I know of people that have been charged $80 for 40 coins now I would be looking at around $25 max for that, what do the others think?

Moote

yeah, that was when I began with coin collecting, so I didn't know about the normal shipping fees and I really wanted those coins and I paid, I should not have done so. Because if people do pay others do charge! doh ... :ph34r:

Edited by Pumabert
yeah, that was when I began with coin collecting so I didn't know about the normal shipping fees and I really wanted those coins and I paid, I should not have done so. Because if people do pay other do charge! doh ... :ph34r:

But no matter at what stage you are at with you collecting you should be treated with respect, you are just the same as anyone else, you would not expect to pay more for stamps from a Post Office if you had just started collecting them!

I say; Give us respect, and don't treat us like fools.

do you want it insured and/or tracked? or do you just want it sent?

to repeat whats already be said,

Those global flat rates can usually be a good deal, the small is only like $5(us). You'd still have to package most things so they don't damage themselves or even launch free of the package... but thats a given.

The problem is that I don't think you can insure or track those, and even if you could it adds up quickly! You also have to wait for the person doing the mailing to have time to go to a post office in person and get the right envolope,stamp,paperwork etc.

To give you an actual answer, I'd say s/h more than the price of a coin, is probably more then enough.

Edited by welch
Just moments ago I sent a package of 27 coins from Canada to Germany.  Parcel Post was $16.51, Air would have cost $41.

That's just an example.

I ussually fugure on $2 for the first coin and then 25-50 cents per coin after that.  Seems to always cover it.

That looks reasonable, :ph34r: more like the costs that I would be expecting which is approximately $25 for 40 coins. Shame that all posters are not as good as yourself.

Moote

Edited by Moote

Based on experience mailing out the 2005 Alaska geocoins:

Air Letter Post: $0.80 per ounce. First coin is two ounces due to weight of envelop, each additional coin adds about another ounce. So, one coin is $1.60, 2 coins is $2.40, 3 coins is $3.20 for postage. Some of the larger/heavier coins like New Mexico and Pennsylvania may cost more. Padded envelops purchased in bulk quantites cost between $0.25 and $0.50 each.

Global Priority Mail which theoretically gets things across the pond a little faster costs between $5 and $9, depending on the size and weight of the envelop. I haven't used this option because Air Letter Post is only a few days slower and I haven't had to do bulk overseas shipments.

If one wants the shipment insured, then the rates jump up because the coins have to be mailed Global Express $15.50 plus $1.30 for each $50 in value of the contents for insurance.

I've yet to have an insured or an uninsured package go missing in over 500 mailings during the past six months.

If you have any doubts about what you are being charged, ALL US Postal international postage rates may be looked up at: USPS International Rates.

Hope this helps, because I, too, have been perplexed at times about the wide variability of shipping charges for coins, both domestic and foreign, when I know from personal experience what the actual costs are/could be/should be.

With reference to Bambi's and Thumper's question about paying for people's time in a post office queue...for me, this is still a hobby and I don't expect compensation. I spent a total of five hours in line at the post office for the 2005 coins without compensation. I've since learned about PayPal's tools and other resources that will make the mailing/posting process go a whole lot smoother. Unfortunately, there is no apparent way around having to present international packages to a person at the post office for the customs form stamp.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I was shocked ney horrified at one person on ebay that has a calculator for shipping costs....when i entered the UK I got the silly ammount of $18.00 per coin...

NOW !!! tell me thats fair .....needless to say i did not use that person to help with my coin collection..

We need fair play in this shipping game..

Ps..this $18 bucks was NOT for an insured package..

B.

FYI, the large Global Priority Mail envelopes are $9.

But again, GPM cannot be insured and you have to physically go to a post office, which is a pain, but I don't charge extra for it. Either envelope will hold a padded envelope inside the USPS provided envelope.

Time in transit is a factor, IMO. With Global Priority Mail, you at least have some idea how long it will take. Parcel post can take weeks.

Highest quote I've seen personally is about $23 to send 3Lb from US to Germany, Global Priority Mail, variable weight rate, 4-6 days. Parcel post was $18.25 and would take 4-6 weeks. I suggested flattening it out into two large GPM envelopes, $18.

Keep in mind, some sellers may choose to price themselves out of the international shipping business, just to avoid the bother, not saying anyone has, just that they could. It is extra work. I know because I just packaged up about 15 international orders for the 2006 GOWT coins, requiring a lot of handwritten forms and 2 trips to the post office. To top it off, we forgot to charge extra for Int'l shipping, so we generally ate between one and four dollars postage on each package. Our own fault though, so we didn't ask anyone for extra shipping after the fact. One or two buyers, God bless them, included a few bucks extra on their own accord!

Edited by Spencersb
I was shocked ney horrified at one person on ebay that has a calculator for shipping costs....when i entered the UK I got the silly ammount of $18.00 per coin...

NOW !!! tell me thats fair .....needless to say i did not use that person to help with my coin collection..

We need fair play in this shipping game..

Ps..this $18 bucks was NOT for an insured package..

B.

Sounds to me that we are being Taken for a ride. I personally think this is the act of A Highway robber. We might live in little old quaint England but that does not mean that we have not progressed along the evolutionary path. WE HAVE BRAINS YOU KNOW

Moote

I order a lot of coins for the UKCC I have being paying what I thought was a reasonable amount for postage until it was brought to my attention that shipping was included in the cost of the coins.

From reading another forum post I think the figure was $1.75-1.85 per coin S&H so on a coin order of 40 coins I am already paying $74.00 or more and then have paid another $25.00 + depending on coin and person making the coin

So it cost me $100.00 for them to go to the post office and mail a parcel for less than $30.00 NO INSURANCE mind you when they had a month to get labels printed, fill in the necessary customs forms etc. They are the ones I am angry with. Where is the HONESTY?????

I have been sending e-mails this weekend asking for some sort of refunds on this outrageous shipping and believe that if I am going to be paying for shipping separately that the price of the coin needs to come down.

So far I have heard back from one person offering a refund. Thank you and I shall get back to you within a day or so when I find out what the others have to say

Is this going to be a game of NAME AND SHAME or will you please respond to emails sent

Lynn

Is this going to be a game of NAME AND SHAME or will you please respond to emails sent

Lynn

I hope I am not included in your list. :ph34r:

We did include shipping in our price, however we did ask for an additional $2.00 per order for out of country shipments. We will probably be ok with the smaller orders, but for the larger orders like yours, we will be digging into our pockets to make up the difference.

Hey, don't they call The Good Old USA The Land of the Free; well it certainly does not look that way when it comes to Postage and Packing, more like The Land of Extortion!

;) Moote

We're still trying to make up for all of that tea tax 200+ years ago. :ph34r:

Don't send me an angry face...I'm just joking. :D

Yes, hit a raw nerve!

:D Moote

Should I be expecting to pay just the postage? Or costs for envelopes and people standing in queues too?

I've never done any coin mailing but I would say your expected to pay for postage and packaging material (unless these were already included somewhere else). I figure when someone offeres a coin they're volunteering to visit the post office a dozen time... :ph34r:

But then again you have little choice over that, either you buy a coin or you don't (at least from them, maybe later you can trade or buy from someone else). You probably have limited influence on how the person(s) doing the mailing does their function. Did shop for the bulk envelopes or just walk into walmart? Have they researched the best ways to ship the coins themselves? (From bookcrossing experience if you just walk into the Post office and tell you want to mail this to Westchester they're likely to ring up that dang global 'Variable Weight'. You may have to specific the shipping method, some may deny they have anything like that ;):D )

Cornerstone

If you think that $52.00 shipping and handling fees is going to put you out of pocket then when I receive the parcel if the cost is more I will fully pay it:) without any problems. I do not want to see anyone cheated.

That is if we are talking about the same parcel.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I am not sure if we are talking about the same package or not.

I was referring to your club orders for the Screw Coins.

We figured in $1.00 for the price of each coin for S&H. Your original order was for 20 coins, and I added $4.00 total for extra postage. Then, when you added more coins to your order, I didn't ask for any addtional fees.

I didn't think I was committing an international crime with that setup, but please let me know if you disagree. I wouldn't want to "Screw" anyone. :ph34r:

Is this going to be a game of NAME AND SHAME  or will you please respond to emails sent

Lynn

'Twern't me! I charged you (I think) $10 and spent $9 on GPM!

(BTW, Lynn, I'll mail your coins tomorrow. I ran out of Customs labels and had to go get more from the PO) :ph34r:

Hey Spencer,

From reading this you sound like a great guy, I'm glad that you have proved me feeling incorrect. I'm sure that you understand that I was not attacking all Americans, just the sharks that are around, we have them over here also.

Moote ;)

Hey, don't they call The Good Old USA The Land of the Free; well it certainly does not look that way when it comes to Postage and Packing, more like The Land of Extortion!

;) Moote

We're still trying to make up for all of that tea tax 200+ years ago. :ph34r:

Don't send me an angry face...I'm just joking. :D

Yes, hit a raw nerve!

:D Moote

Nope, no raw nerve here.

I didn't realize how upset you were, so I tried to make light of the situation. :lol:

My aplogies, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. :mad:

Cornerstone

I am sorry, that was not the order I was referring to at all and thought the shipping on the screw coin was good. I never noticed that you failed to charge me on the extra coins and appreciate that:) If we ever trade I'll owe ya one:)

It is very possible that you had nothing to do with the order I am questioning and if that is so my sincerest apologies.

Lynn

Cornerstone

I am sorry, that was not the order I was referring to at all and thought the shipping on the screw coin was good. I never noticed that you failed to charge me on the extra coins and appreciate that:) If we ever trade I'll owe ya one:)

It is very possible that you had nothing to do with the order I am questioning and if that is so my sincerest apologies.

Lynn

No hard feelings!

I have enjoyed emailing back and forth, and I just wanted to make sure you weren't upset!

At least by reading this thread, I found out I can do the customs forms online! That will save some time this week!

Dave

Who paid? You or the person who was receiving the coins? In a swap, I assumed it was usual for the senders to pay (that way they are both encouraged to find sensible shipping costs), but what happens if the coins go stray? Who is responsible?

In a sale, I guess the buyer pays, unless the postage is included in the cost of the coin. But how do you tell? Some of these coins sell out so fast that if there isn't any warning, you don't have time to ask the seller in advance :lol:

Bambi.

Edited by Bambi&Thumper

Pay what you think is fair, and if you don't think it's fair, then don't get the coin. Having sent out hundreds of coins I can say that it is a real pain to ship internationally and so I sympathize with those that are charging extra. What's too much? Kinda depends on what a persons time is worth. It takes me at leas a 1/2 hour to get something international sent out (yes, our post office is painfully slow).

If it's a trade then each person generally just pays the shipping of their own coin. If it's a sale, then packaging, postage and handling should all be paid for buy the buyer, IMO.

(BTW, Lynn, I'll mail your coins tomorrow. I ran out of Customs labels and had to go get more from the PO) :lol:

Hi spencer,

you can print customs forms online now. On the USPS site.

It saves loads of time and they are much neater than hand writing them.

Alex.

I thought so too, but I must have clicked the wrong link. It took me to the USPS store where I could order 100 of them to be mailed to me! :D It was easier to just go to the post office and get some, especially since I had to hand deliver 7 domestic Priority Mail boxes, even though they were already paid for online, just because they were over 16oz. :mad:

Depending upon the coin size you can ship 5-10 coins in a small flat rate Global Priority mailer for $5.00 US. The mailer is free from the post office and the customs form 2976 is very easy to complete.

Downside is that you usually have to take it personally to the post office and in some areas that can be very time consuming so people are adding a handling fee to cover the hassle.

Does a customs from need to be filled out to go from the us to Germany?

I shipped a coin to Germany today and the post office didn't say anything about a customs form. If was on a gray Global Priority envelope shipped flat rate $5.

Based on experience mailing out the 2005 Alaska geocoins:

Air Letter Post:  $0.80 per ounce.  First coin is two ounces due to weight of envelop, each additional coin adds about another ounce.  So, one coin is $1.60, 2 coins is $2.40, 3 coins is $3.20 for postage.  Some of the larger/heavier coins like New Mexico and Pennsylvania may cost more.  Padded envelops purchased in bulk quantites cost between $0.25 and $0.50 each.

Global Priority Mail which theoretically gets things across the pond a little faster costs between $5 and $9, depending on the size and weight of the envelop.  I haven't used this option because Air Letter Post is only a few days slower and I haven't had to do bulk overseas shipments.

If one wants the shipment insured, then the rates jump up because the coins have to be mailed Global Express $15.50 plus $1.30 for each $50 in value of the contents for insurance.

I've yet to have an insured or an uninsured package go missing in over 500 mailings during the past six months.

Exactly those are my experiences by coin mails USA -> Germany :lol:

You dont need to fill out the 'full' customs form. Just the short one which still makes you declare value, put in the name/address, etc.

You even have to do this sending packages to APO addresses!

The girl at the USPS counter didn't say anything about the customs form, my husband used to sell US Mint coins on ebay and had to ship to GPM before and was told if it was under a certain weight it didn't need it). I know for the future to fill the form out, I certainly hope the coin I sent today makes it there w/out problems.

The girl at the USPS counter didn't say anything about the customs form, my husband used to sell US Mint coins on ebay and had to ship to GPM before and was told if it was under a certain weight it didn't need it).  I know for the future to fill the form out, I certainly hope the coin I sent today makes it there w/out problems.

When you do fill out the customs form, make sure that you don't put down coin(s). Use something else, like token. Saves problems with people wondering what kind of coins are in the package.