Cache Promotion

Why is promoting ones own caches considered as bad form. Those in the know do it in a round about way anyway. It can be helpful to cachers looking for a certain type of cache and would it be any worse than all the congratulation threads.  B)  :huh:  B)

Because the forums would become clutter with Have you seen my new cache post

Edited by Moote

What they said :huh:

Actually there's nothing in the general forum guidelines to prohibit it but it is etiquette which has developed over the years in this forum.

I know there are some instances where people have circumvented this in subtle or not too subtle ways. Some I let go, some I don't but in general you shouldn't expect to be allowed blatant cache plugging here.

as people have said - starting a thread to promote a new cache would create havoc in the summer. :huh:

However, personally, I don;t see a problem if someone has asked a specific question in a thread, then referring to one of your caches as an example could be very helpful (as Mark demonstrated earlier in a thread about jazzing up pages).

Everything in moderation, as they say B)

as people have said - starting a thread to promote a new cache would create havoc in the summer. B)

However, personally, I don;t see a problem if someone has asked a specific question in a thread, then referring to one of your caches as an example could be very helpful (as Mark demonstrated earlier in a thread about jazzing up pages).

Everything in moderation, as they say :lol:

B)B):huh: You mean like this post i made on the FTF thread????????

We have a local cacher who leaves really nice wood turnings as ftf prizes in the caches he sets and there is usually a bit of a race to get there first to get the first pick.GCP3YY

Isn't the forum already cluttered up with congratulations and childish squabbles anyway? Surely we want to read about caching  B)

Do you know - I wondered when we would have this discussion/argument again :huh:B)

Yep true, some people like congratulation threads (which is very much about geocaching) and others don't, for those that don't there is a Greasemonkey script to get rid of them.

As for squabbles, you'll get them everywhere, just because it's online doesn't mean we are immune to it?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving

And reolving at nine thousand miles an hour.

It's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,

'Round the sun that is the source of all our power.

Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,

Are moving at a million miles a day,

In the outer spiral arm, at fourteen thousand miles an hour,

Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way...

sorry :blink:

Why doesn't someone bite the bullet and make a single dedicated cache plug thread? I'm sure everyone would love to trumpet about their own caches and it can't be any worse than all those gosh-darned congratulations threads.... :ph34r:

Note that I leave the responsibility to someone else.... :D

Edited by The Golem
Why doesn't someone bite the bullet and make a single dedicated cache plug thread? I'm sure everyone would love to trumpet about their own caches and it can't be any worse than all those gosh-darned congratulations threads.... :ph34r:

Note that I leave the responsibility to someone else.... :D

Are you egging Mr Mischeveous on here?

A dedicated thread would just legitimise the practice and it would be impossible to keep it only in one thread.

I'm sure the other forum users would have something to say about it if the practice strayed out of the thread.

Wouldn't you like the opportunity to plug your own caches, Learned Gerbil?

Edited by The Golem