San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

June 8th, Thursday, finkbr and I are thinking about hitting Iron Mountain. Anyone is invited to join us. I know most of you hit it already, but I like groups. The planned path should hit about 11 geocaches. I also plotted a route that is just under 7 miles. The map shown below only show a one way total. Anywho, We are planning to meet at "END OF THE LINE...." (GCH7J2) around 4:30pm if weather permits. Is there parking near or at there?

Raw elevation will be 1000' climb over 3+ miles, down hill on the way back, 3+ more miles. :anibad: It seems to be a gradual climb for most of it. Any tips from those that have been there?

Paul

Links:

Map/Route (300kb)

Iron Mountain GPX (1.5 Miles @ GCH7J2)

This is still on.. The above file does not include the two new caches so you may want to add them. So far, this appears to be the list of cachers going:

Team Adelos (me)

finkbr

jahoadi and john (Not sure about john)

Miragee

June 8th, Thursday, finkbr and I are thinking about hitting Iron Mountain. Anyone is invited to join us. I know most of you hit it already, but I like groups. The planned path should hit about 11 geocaches. I also plotted a route that is just under 7 miles. The map shown below only show a one way total. Anywho, We are planning to meet at "END OF THE LINE...." (GCH7J2) around 4:30pm if weather permits. Is there parking near or at there?

Raw elevation will be 1000' climb over 3+ miles, down hill on the way back, 3+ more miles. :blink: It seems to be a gradual climb for most of it. Any tips from those that have been there?

Paul

Links:

Map/Route (300kb)

Iron Mountain GPX (1.5 Miles @ GCH7J2)

This is still on.. The above file does not include the two new caches so you may want to add them. So far, this appears to be the list of cachers going:

Team Adelos (me)

finkbr

jahoadi and john (Not sure about john)

Miragee

One of Barbados Sam's new caches is on your planned route. The other cache is just past "I Can See Iron Mountain". At this point, I hope to take tomorrow off work and get some other caches earlier in the day also (will depend on Rogue). I plan to be there for the hike but I will finish "Ballot Box" and both of Barbados Sams' caches since they are the only ones I still need out there. I figure I can leave the group to grab them if necessary.

It's supposed to be cooler ths Saturday with a high of 76! :P So we could do South Fortuna (finally)! I'm not sure of the best route to take so maybe one of you others can propose a route....

The best route would be to start at Clairemont Mesa Blvd and go past all the caches I haven't done yet. :blink:

It's supposed to be cooler ths Saturday with a high of 76! :P So we could do South Fortuna (finally)! I'm not sure of the best route to take so maybe one of you others can propose a route....

The best route would be to start at Clairemont Mesa Blvd and go past all the caches I haven't done yet. :blink:

Where is the map showing the route and stats with all the caches? :ph34r:

From the Clairemont Trailhead, I think duganrm and I have cleared most of the caches. However, there is another trailhead that goes to the North and ultimately to North Fortuna and another one of those <ah hem> caches. :blink:

Here is a map with part of our previous track, and the endpoint of a Multi we didn't finish on our last trip up there:

7873ee9d-e311-4e7e-a858-2da0c22bf9cc.jpg

It is cool and cloudy out here today, so the Stone Ruination caches, and Indiana Ed's Subterranean could also be put on the potential agenda. :P

From the Clairemont Trailhead, I think duganrm and I have cleared most of the caches. However, there is another trailhead that goes to the North and ultimately to North Fortuna and another one of those <ah hem> caches. :blink:

Here is a map with part of our previous track, and the endpoint of a Multi we didn't finish on our last trip up there:

7873ee9d-e311-4e7e-a858-2da0c22bf9cc.jpg

It is cool and cloudy out here today, so the Stone Ruination caches, and Indiana Ed's Subterranean could also be put on the potential agenda. :P

Can you show the caches on your previous route? Also did you get to the peak of South Fortuna.

It looks like Saturday is bad for me. We have a graduation party to attend so I'm only going to be free for half the day. That means I won't be able to drive 50 miles south. I am thinking about going out in the morning and placing an <ah hem> cache. I think I can maybe go Sunday but would need to check with the boss.

I haven't cleared out the other side of MTRP however. Wanna see that map? :blink:

I figured you had cleared out that side near the Visitor Center.

I hit a bunch over there but I don't think it's possible to clear out any area. I really don't care about clearing out areas anymore. I like to do certain types of caches if you know what I mean. It was so retarded to find a vitamin bottle stuck under a lamppost cover behind some fast food restaurant last weekend. I couldn't help but think "What the heck am I doing this for!!! This is stupid!!" To be honest <um hum> caching is starting to look better and better... :P

Edited by TrailGators

I haven't cleared out the other side of MTRP however. Wanna see that map? :blink:

Please don't use the words "cleared out" especially in or around MTRP it will just cause more caches to be activated!! :P:ph34r::P

What are you using for your maps showing the waypoints? I have several apps, but I like your topo best.

Paul

It looks like Garmin's Topo!

What are you using for your maps showing the waypoints? I have several apps, but I like your topo best.

Paul

It looks like Garmin's Topo!

Thanks.

I haven't cleared out the other side of MTRP however. Wanna see that map? ;)

Please don't use the words "cleared out" especially in or around MTRP it will just cause more caches to be activated!! :(:(:(

Say what? ... all the caches have been cleared out you say?

I haven't cleared out the other side of MTRP however. Wanna see that map? :laughing:

Please don't use the words "cleared out" especially in or around MTRP it will just cause more caches to be activated!! :laughing:B):o

Say what? ... all the caches have been cleared out you say?

NO! Turn up that hearing aid! NOT CLEARED OUT! :laughing::laughing::rolleyes::lol:B)

Kinda late notice, but we just finalized plans - sort of.

Joahaodi and John, and I believe PC Woody, are kayaking to El Cap Reservoir tomorrow morning. Duncan!, Duganrm, GD Ginger and I are renting a boat. There be four caches for me to grab, including The Flume puzzle, and the yet unfound, Day at the Lake.

The kayakers are starting at 0700; the boaters haven't decided on a time - maybe 0730-0800.

If anyone wants to join either group, let us know.

Edited by Chuy!

Joahaodi and John, and I believe PC Woody, are kayaking to El Cap Reservoir tomorrow morning. Duncan!, Duganrm, GD Ginger and I are renting a boat. There be four caches for me to grab, including The Flume puzzle, and the yet unfound, Day at the Lake.

The kayakers are starting at 0700; the boaters haven't decided on a time - maybe 0730-0800.

Thanks for posting that Chuy! Unfortunately, I can't make it tomorrow. The boat ride is fun for those of you that haven't done that! Have fun! :P

Edited by TrailGators

Thanks for posting that Chuy! Unfortunately, I can't make it tomorrow. The boat ride is fun for those of you that haven't done that! Have fun! :)

We were thinking of taking one of the Splashboats up there on Sunday, probably the Jet boat.

Splashman is not into rowing anything........ :D:D:P

Thanks for posting that Chuy! Unfortunately, I can't make it tomorrow. The boat ride is fun for those of you that haven't done that! Have fun! :D

We were thinking of taking one of the Splashboats up there on Sunday, probably the Jet boat.

Splashman is not into rowing anything........ :P:):D

The boat they rent to you has a high-powered motor! We had the wind in our hair! Of course if the wind hadn't been blowing the hair on our heads wouldn't have budged a bit! :) That boat was darn soooo slow! The boat maybe did about 2 knots at full throttle! :D

The boaters are meeting at 0730 at the Lake Jennings park n ride. The kayakers are meeting near the boat ramp at 0700.

Trailgators, here's a silly question, how do we get to the boat ramp? Is it through the road that goes under the I8 off Dunbar exit?

Tnx.

The boaters are meeting at 0730 at the Lake Jennings park n ride. The kayakers are meeting near the boat ramp at 0700.

Trailgators, here's a silly question, how do we get to the boat ramp? Is it through the road that goes under the I8 off Dunbar exit?

Tnx.

RocketMan drove that day but I think we took I8 to Lake Jennings Road to El Monte.

We're hiking up Iron Mountain tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in joining us. I know there were just a couple of goups that just did this but I wasn't able to go.

If you want the company we'll be at the trailhead at 8:15ish.

haven't you people ever heard of sleeping in on weekends?!?!? I may try to make it. I have to finish the Ballot Box multi.

We're hiking up Iron Mountain tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in joining us. I know there were just a couple of goups that just did this but I wasn't able to go.

If you want the company we'll be at the trailhead at 8:15ish.

Hi Jerry, I just rolled out of bed and I am scrambling so I can join you guys! :blink:

Thanks guys I thought we were going to do this together :lol:

They placed at least one new one, and since I didn't think I could paddle my kayak that far, I didn't go. Therefore comma I still need to find them. :lol:

I'm sure we can get another group to go on the adventure someday. :)

I'm game, although not this coming weekend. Birthday, Fathers Day...you know how it is.

:) Sorry Gobolts!...this was one of only 2 FREE days the whole year..no permits, no entry fee...it was perfect. We had so much fun we'd go again!!!

:) Sorry Gobolts!...this was one of only 2 FREE days the whole year..no permits, no entry fee...it was perfect. We had so much fun we'd go again!!!

Not blaming you just the two cachers that agreed to do it with me. :)

They placed at least one new one, and since I didn't think I could paddle my kayak that far, I didn't go. Therefore comma I still need to find them. :lol:

We would be interested also.. :) As long as we are in town anyways.. Summay is about here.

They placed at least one new one, and since I didn't think I could paddle my kayak that far, I didn't go. Therefore comma I still need to find them. :)

We would be interested also.. :) As long as we are in town anyways.. Summay is about here.

Me too! :) What does "Summay is about here" mean? :lol:

They placed at least one new one, and since I didn't think I could paddle my kayak that far, I didn't go. Therefore comma I still need to find them. :ninja:

I'm sure we can get another group to go on the adventure someday. :D

We would be interested also.. :D As long as we are in town anyways.. Summay is about here.

Me too! ;) What does "Summay is about here" mean? :ninja:

hmm.. me and my typos.. summer works better there. :):drama:

They placed at least one new one, and since I didn't think I could paddle my kayak that far, I didn't go. Therefore comma I still need to find them. :huh:

I'm sure we can get another group to go on the adventure someday. B)

We would be interested also.. :lol: As long as we are in town anyways.. Summay is about here.

Me too! :lol: What does "Summay is about here" mean? B)

hmm.. me and my typos.. summer works better there. :lol::mad:

Paul, I see that you are now putting puzzles in your forum posts too! :unsure:

Thanks guys I thought we were going to do this together <_<

:o Sorry Gobolts!...this was one of only 2 FREE days the whole year..no permits, no entry fee...it was perfect. We had so much fun we'd go again!!!

Not blaming you just the two cachers that agreed to do it with me. :angry:

Sorry Dave, I was invited to join the kayak group, but I knew Duncan! wanted to take a boat, and I couldn't go without inviting him, and since you were out of town, we gambled on your wrath :D . We'll find a way to compensate; you know we're good for it.

Good to have you back.

Thanks guys I thought we were going to do this together <_<

:o Sorry Gobolts!...this was one of only 2 FREE days the whole year..no permits, no entry fee...it was perfect. We had so much fun we'd go again!!!

Not blaming you just the two cachers that agreed to do it with me. :D

Sorry Dave, I was invited to join the kayak group, but I knew Duncan! wanted to take a boat, and I couldn't go without inviting him, and since you were out of town, we gambled on your wrath :angry: . We'll find a way to compensate; you know we're good for it.

Good to have you back.

Spankings and then ....:angry:... then more spankings! lol Thanks

Edited by GoBolts!
:) Are there any "Events" planned for this weekend? :)
Not that I know of. It's 95 degrees up here today. :D Sunday is Father's Day.

Same here.. but Thursday is something to think about. I have not talked with finkbr yet.. We will have to look at some areas to go to. maybe urban.

Yup. It's hot out here, too. According to my outdoor thermometer, which is in the shade, it is 97°. :D

Looks like I should get out the kayak so we can do "Whale Poop Island" and "Gateway to the Submerged Forest" one one of these "Event" days.

Looks like I should get out the kayak so we can do "Whale Poop Island" and "Gateway to the Submerged Forest" one one of these "Event" days.

Kayak? You don' need no stinking kayak...

Ms. LLOT and I have been thinking that this might be "The LJ/PB Time to Get Wet Weekend"

There's Whale Poop, there's the new "Scuba Steve" caches, there's "Who's Getting Wet?", there's "Gateway..." (which Ms. LLOT swims out to all the time -- we just haven't made it official) and "Blackbeard's Grotto". There's also "Duck Diving" but this is one we've already grabbed...

Oh, almost forgot...another that I've heard is "under water" :rolleyes: is "Water, Water, Everywhere"

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Kayak? You don' need no stinking kayak...

Ms. LLOT and I have been thinking that this might be "The LJ/PB Time to Get Wet Weekend"

There's Whale Poop, there's the new "Scuba Steve" caches, there's "Who's Getting Wet?", there's "Gateway..." (which Ms. LLOT swims out to all the time -- we just haven't made it official) and "Blackbeard's Grotto". There's also "Duck Diving" but this is one we've already grabbed...

Duck Diving is out of action at the moment anyway - they removed the buoy it was attached to! There are 4 "Scuba Steve" caches around Mission Bay now - 2 very easy (Kiddie Pool and Grandma), one moderate (Pass the Grass) and one difficult (First Time). I haven't got the two most recent ones, or Whale Poop, which has been my closest cache to home for AGES. Tomorrow morning (9-12?) would work for me, so if this becomes a last minute event, let me know. Hope someone has a car they don't mind getting wet!

There are 4 "Scuba Steve" caches around Mission Bay now - 2 very easy (Kiddie Pool and Grandma), one moderate (Pass the Grass) and one difficult (First Time). I haven't got the two most recent ones, or Whale Poop, which has been my closest cache to home for AGES. Tomorrow morning (9-12?) would work for me, so if this becomes a last minute event, let me know. Hope someone has a car they don't mind getting wet!

Our plan is to be at "First Time" around about 8:50am. This is a close to the low tide for tomorrow. We'll probably play things by ear after that (taking in the rest of the Scuba Steve caches and Whale Poop as well as a few others...) Anyone that wants to hook up with us is welcome to do so. Zap us an e-mail if you want our phone number.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer