San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Nice map! Does that topo software let you see the a plot of the distance vs. verticals of that route? That would be a good chart to see! :laughing:

Ask, and you shall receive. From the west to the east. Note the 2962 elevation gain and 3948 descent. We should also try it from east to west!

Fyi, the ElCap1 & 2 and just trail markers for when I download coords, as is 001.

NOTE: add 2.5 miles for the roundtrip to GCDA06, the red track line on the map. That cache does not show up on this chart. I'll add it tonight.

8439983c-dec7-4dc3-af3e-b7b2eeec5dd5.jpg

Thanks Chuy! It looks a little harder than doing Woodson from Blue Sky, which is about 5 miles and 2500 feet (one way). The main difference looks like that 500' hump we have to go up and down at the 3.5 mile mark. By the way, which way did Flagman and everyone else go?

:anitongue: I've done the round trip hike in June and in August. The August trip was wicked, but it was training for the Grand Canyon..if we survived they were gonna let us go with them rim to rim. We survived....but the deceiving thing is that you are constantly gaining and losing elevation so it's up and down in both directions. The one-way trip would require some logistics and travel prior to as we'd have to stage cars at boths ends. We're game either way. The park hours are officially 8am I think so if we go earlier we can't park at the trailhead!! :laughing: Does anyone have a preference which day of the 3 day weekend we go?? I think Chuy is tied up Sunday.
I checked the long-term forecast and Saturday is supposed to be a high of 71! It looks like rain is moving in and Sunday will be wet. Not sure about Memorial Day...
Yes, those are the correct coordinates, but my "Google Invitation" said 8:30 . . . :anitongue:

Well now you get to sleep in for 30 more minutes! :laughing:

See ya at 9am.. I will have Radios on channel 11 in case I get lost. :laughing:

I am taking my radio with me. Will turn it on in a couple hours.

Yes, those are the correct coordinates, but my "Google Invitation" said 8:30 . . . :laughing:

Well now you get to sleep in for 30 more minutes! :anitongue:

See ya at 9am.. I will have Radios on channel 11 in case I get lost. :laughing:

I am taking my radio with me. Will turn it on in a couple hours.

Sorry guys! Something came up that I cant avoid, I cant make it. :laughing: I hope everyone has fun.

A few of us decided that we want to hike up Viejas Peak next Saturday.

There is a geocache, a terracache and a benchmark at this peak!

The hike to the peak is ~2 miles with ~1600 feet of vertical.

6bd87946-07c9-4921-bcc6-6b2bcff309ff.jpg

* A little trivia: Viejas Mountain (4101') is 426 feet taller than El Cajon Mountain! :ninja:

** GCTKQ7 is at the trailhead. How about meeting at the trailhead at 9AM next Saturday? :)

Edited by TrailGators
Sorry guys! Something came up that I cant avoid, I cant make it. :) I hope everyone has fun.
We missed you out there Paul! We had fun just getting to the meeting spot. :ninja: Blonds Run Amuck, Drexotic and I all were routed the wrong way by our GPSs. Drexotic and I eventually figured out that we were supposed to take the 3rd right off Lyon's Valley road once I got a hold of TFTC. :D Anyhow, we had more fun once we got there! :D

Here is our group, from a low angle through the mustard plants . . . :ninja:

3db16d4c-eb51-4fe2-bd11-f7525ab2d193.jpg

Here is the track for my portion of the hike. It was 5.4 miles long and took us almost 3 1/2 hours.

5b3346af-d680-4ee7-ac4f-d9809572086b.jpg

It was great fun . . . and that was just the right length hike for me. :D

Thanks everyone, for visiting my lonely caches . . . :)

It was great fun . . . and that was just the right length hike for me. :)

Thanks everyone, for visiting my lonely caches . . . :ninja:

Thanks for visiting and relocating No Boundaries! I'll be waiting for the new coords to update the web page.

Edited by Chuy!
A few of us decided that we want to hike up Viejas Peak next Saturday.

There is a geocache, a terracache and a benchmark at this peak!

The hike to the peak is ~2 miles with ~1600 feet of vertical.

6bd87946-07c9-4921-bcc6-6b2bcff309ff.jpg

* A little trivia: Viejas Mountain (4101') is 426 feet taller than El Cajon Mountain! :ninja:

** GCTKQ7 is at the trailhead. How about meeting at the trailhead at 9AM next Saturday? :)

How funny...we're doing Viejas with PCwoody via ATT tomorrow ( to make it longer). Ok..I'll put another cache there just for you!!!! r/ jodi

Chuy, j&j, Pat, etc: for El Cajon/El Cap hike I would prefer Monday (going diving on Saturday so the elevation would be bad for me on Sunday). If we started at the other end, not the official trailhead, would we be able to start earlier? Then just leave one (big) vehicle at the other end to return us to the starting point. Not sure it makes a lot of difference hiking wise, but maybe better to get the steeper bits over with early, and on the way up than the way down?

Chuy, j&j, Pat, etc: for El Cajon/El Cap hike I would prefer Monday (going diving on Saturday so the elevation would be bad for me on Sunday). If we started at the other end, not the official trailhead, would we be able to start earlier? Then just leave one (big) vehicle at the other end to return us to the starting point. Not sure it makes a lot of difference hiking wise, but maybe better to get the steeper bits over with early, and on the way up than the way down?

Hi Toby, after thinking about it a lot I decided not to do El Cap this weekend. I know that I'll definitely be sore after doing that hike and I have a business trip the next week. So I don't want to be hobbling around that week. I can just see myself trying to run to my connecting flight in Dallas on Tuesday while my thigh muscles are throbbing in pain. No thanks! :cry: So anyhow, it's up to you, Chuy, J&J, Duganrm, Miragee, etc. It sounds like a few people prefer Monday. I myself will wait until the temperature is in the 50s/60s to do that hike. A bunch of us are going to do Viejas Peak on Saturday if your diving doesn't work out. Viejas would be a good tune-up for El Cap! :)

Hi Toby, after thinking about it a lot I decided not to do El Cap this weekend. I know that I'll definitely be sore after doing that hike and I have a business trip the next week. So I don't want to be hobbling around that week. I can just see myself trying to run to my connecting flight in Dallas on Tuesday while my thigh muscles are throbbing in pain. No thanks! :cry: So anyhow, it's up to you, Chuy, J&J, Duganrm, Miragee, etc. It sounds like a few people prefer Monday. I myself will wait until the temperature is in the 50s/60s to do that hike. A bunch of us are going to do Viejas Peak on Saturday if your diving doesn't work out. Viejas would be a good tune-up for El Cap! :)

Yep - if the diving trip doesn't pan out, or is moved to Sunday or Monday instead, I'd be up for doing Viejas mountain. Don't think I'd want to do both mountains in the same weekend though!

What is the elevation for that hike to Viejas? :D

Per the Tax Freedom cache page, it is about 2 miles and ~1600 feet of vertical to the peak. But Flagman's stats for the hike show it to be a little bit easier than the cache page says:

1.86 miles to cache

1:14 hours total time to cache

58 mins moving time to cache

1366 feet total ascent to cache

2:20 houts total round trip time

1:53 hours moving time round trip

1438 total ascent round trip

3.74 miles odometer round trip

The peak is at 4101' so the views should be great! Don't worry about being left behind because I will be moving slowly up the trail like a gator! :D

If DaMoores come along on Saturday I'm sure we can expect some more entertaining logs like their logs for McGinty this weekend:

Log Date: 5/21/2006

Still on the way up to to top.. Miragee explaned to us why she placed each. She's was a great guide, How...huff....much....huff...further...hufff!!!!

Gasping for breath.........Huffff....Huffff.....The only thing going through my mind was when FATBOY yelled to our MTRP group last week.... YA'ALL GONNNA DIE!!!!

I THINK I CAN....I THINK I CAN.....I THINK I CAN.....I THINK I CAN....I THINK I CAN.....I THINK I CAN..... got me all the way up here. It's all down hill from here!!!!!!! YIPPPEEEEE!!!!!!

Edited by TrailGators

Hi Toby, after thinking about it a lot I decided not to do El Cap this weekend. I know that I'll definitely be sore after doing that hike and I have a business trip the next week. So I don't want to be hobbling around that week. I can just see myself trying to run to my connecting flight in Dallas on Tuesday while my thigh muscles are throbbing in pain. No thanks! :cry: So anyhow, it's up to you, Chuy, J&J, Duganrm, Miragee, etc. It sounds like a few people prefer Monday. I myself will wait until the temperature is in the 50s/60s to do that hike. A bunch of us are going to do Viejas Peak on Saturday if your diving doesn't work out. Viejas would be a good tune-up for El Cap! :D

Per the Tax Freedom cache page, it is about 2 miles and ~1600 feet of vertical to the peak. But Flagman's stats for the hike show it to be a little bit easier than the cache page says:

1.86 miles to cache

1:14 hours total time to cache

58 mins moving time to cache

1366 feet total ascent to cache

2:20 houts total round trip time

1:53 hours moving time round trip

1438 total ascent round trip

3.74 miles odometer round trip

The peak is at 4101' so the views should be great! Don't worry about being left behind because I will be moving slowly up the trail like a gator! :D

If DaMoores come along on Saturday I'm sure we can expect some more entertaining logs like their logs for McGinty this weekend:

Still on the way up to to top.. Miragee explaned to us why she placed each. She's was a great guide, How...huff....much....huff...further...hufff!!!!

Gasping for breath.........Huffff....Huffff.....The only thing going through my mind was when FATBOY yelled to our MTRP group last week.... YA'ALL GONNNA DIE!!!!

I THINK I CAN....I THINK I CAN.....I THINK I CAN.....I THINK I CAN....I THINK I CAN.....I THINK I CAN..... got me all the way up here. It's all down hill from here!!!!!!! YIPPPEEEEE!!!!!!

:):D You guys will have a blast hiking Viejas. No one has to worry. I know all of you and you'll do just fine. Just watch for snakes. The trail is steep, but not bad at all. We did it yesterday, but added a bit before and after to make a 11.99 hike. If you finish and still have energy you can alway go get Flagman's Flume cache along the ATT. Park off Peutz Valley Road turn off....it's nice also..r/jodi

:):D You guys will have a blast hiking Viejas. No one has to worry. I know all of you and you'll do just fine. Just watch for snakes. The trail is steep, but not bad at all. We did it yesterday, but added a bit before and after to make a 11.99 hike. If you finish and still have energy you can alway go get Flagman's Flume cache along the ATT. Park off Peutz Valley Road turn off....it's nice also..r/jodi
RocketMan, Kawikaturn and I were FTF on Flagman's Flume cache! It was RocketMan's 1000th cache! We also hid one not too far from that one called Flume Bay'ed. :D That one never gets found...I should know! :cry:

The only day I can do the hike is Saturday. Sunday, we have a block party, and Monday is recovery day.

The one disadvantage about climbing first (aside from the 23% grade for 2.8 miles) is that you are starting at 550'; whereas, from Wildcat Canyon, you're starting at 1550'. This is a big bloody difference. Maybe not for a skinny brit, but it is for a cornfed Lakesidian :cry: .

The one disadvantage about climbing first (aside from the 23% grade for 2.8 miles) is that you are starting at 550'; whereas, from Wildcat Canyon, you're starting at 1550'. This is a big bloody difference. Maybe not for a skinny brit, but it is for a cornfed Lakesidian :D .

:):D:D:cry:

Edited by TrailGators

The only day I can do the hike is Saturday. Sunday, we have a block party, and Monday is recovery day.

The one disadvantage about climbing first (aside from the 23% grade for 2.8 miles) is that you are starting at 550'; whereas, from Wildcat Canyon, you're starting at 1550'. This is a big bloody difference. Maybe not for a skinny brit, but it is for a cornfed Lakesidian :) .

:cry: We're good for Saturday. I think we better stick with a route we know. My rock climbing friend doesn't guarantee we can make it to the top his way...that's a hike for another day don't ya think???

:D:D You guys will have a blast hiking Viejas. No one has to worry. I know all of you and you'll do just fine. Just watch for snakes. The trail is steep, but not bad at all. We did it yesterday, but added a bit before and after to make a 11.99 hike. If you finish and still have energy you can alway go get Flagman's Flume cache along the ATT. Park off Peutz Valley Road turn off....it's nice also..r/jodi
RocketMan, Kawikaturn and I were FTF on Flagman's Flume cache! It was RocketMan's 1000th cache! We also hid one not too far from that one called Flume Bay'ed. :D That one never gets found...I should know! :D

:cry::) Oh yeah..now I remember your logs and pictures!! Pat, Can we hike to Flume Bay'ed or do we need to go via water craft? We'll try it some day soon.

:antenna::D You guys will have a blast hiking Viejas. No one has to worry. I know all of you and you'll do just fine. Just watch for snakes. The trail is steep, but not bad at all. We did it yesterday, but added a bit before and after to make a 11.99 hike. If you finish and still have energy you can alway go get Flagman's Flume cache along the ATT. Park off Peutz Valley Road turn off....it's nice also..r/jodi
RocketMan, Kawikaturn and I were FTF on Flagman's Flume cache! It was RocketMan's 1000th cache! We also hid one not too far from that one called Flume Bay'ed. :D That one never gets found...I should know! :D

:cry::) Oh yeah..now I remember your logs and pictures!! Pat, Can we hike to Flume Bay'ed or do we need to go via water craft? We'll try it some day soon.

There may be a way to hike to it but we rented a boat. It was actually kind of fun! If we hadn't rented the boat Gecko Dad would have had the FTF! :D We were doubly cruel to GD that day - all by total accident. First we rob him of the FTF on Tom's cache by renting a boat and then we go place Flume Bay'ed while he is logging STF. We didn't see him until we were coming back from Flume Bay'ed. We couldn't catch up to him because the boat was so dang slow. So we watched him jog up that hill and disappear. :antenna:

Edited by TrailGators
I'm up for a boat ride. Will it also help to get close to the puzzle?

Why don't you just give me the coords and I'll check for myself :) .

I need that book, any one have an extra copy. Is it in the library?

Yes Chuy, the boat can easily hit both caches! The book is awesome! Every geocacher/hiker in San Diego county should own a copy! BTW Father's Day is coming up! :D

The one disadvantage about climbing first (aside from the 23% grade for 2.8 miles) is that you are starting at 550'; whereas, from Wildcat Canyon, you're starting at 1550'. This is a big bloody difference. Maybe not for a skinny brit, but it is for a cornfed Lakesidian ;) .

Muhh! Didn't spot that, and wouldn't want the extra 1000' up either! Depending on my dive trip, might have to try another time for El Cap then, but will be there if the diving falls through. Maybe do something else on Monday instead then....?

Instead of participating in the other "fun" hike :D Saturday, some of us are going to hike up Viejas Mountain.

This is a map my Unfound caches in the area, and my caches along the Boulder Creek Road. The Viejas hike is only three miles, so we should have lots of energy left to to find other caches . . . won't we? :laughing:

2811c232-1615-49ae-8b0e-0744077d48b9.jpg

I've been wanting to get to the Carveacre Wind Cave cache, the one that is highlighted. Anyone want to join me for that hike? :lol:

Also, my BCR series is pretty lonely . . . :lol:

Instead of participating in the other "fun" hike :lol: Saturday, some of us are going to hike up Viejas Mountain.

This is a map my Unfound caches in the area, and my caches along the Boulder Creek Road. The Viejas hike is only three miles, so we should have lots of energy left to to find other caches . . . won't we? :laughing:

2811c232-1615-49ae-8b0e-0744077d48b9.jpg

I've been wanting to get to the Carveacre Wind Cave cache, the one that is highlighted. Anyone want to join me for that hike? :lol:

Also, my BCR series is pretty lonely . . . :D

I would prefer to head back north and do the BCR series on the way back..... :D

The one disadvantage about climbing first (aside from the 23% grade for 2.8 miles) is that you are starting at 550'; whereas, from Wildcat Canyon, you're starting at 1550'. This is a big bloody difference. Maybe not for a skinny brit, but it is for a cornfed Lakesidian :lol: .

:laughing: We're good for Saturday. I think we better stick with a route we know. My rock climbing friend doesn't guarantee we can make it to the top his way...that's a hike for another day don't ya think???

Right, my diving plans have been pushed to Monday, so I'll be there for El Cajon Mtn on Saturday - let me know the time/place/parking plans. I'm going to the ballgame on Friday night so can't guarantee I'll be at my most sparkling early on Saturday, but I'd rather be a bit sleepy than be roasted alive a couple of hours later. I'm happy to do it as a guaranteed there-and-back rather than end up bushwhacking an unknown canyon as the sun sets....

Now the next question is, how are the views from the top? Is it worth lugging my big DSLR camera up there?

The one disadvantage about climbing first (aside from the 23% grade for 2.8 miles) is that you are starting at 550'; whereas, from Wildcat Canyon, you're starting at 1550'. This is a big bloody difference. Maybe not for a skinny brit, but it is for a cornfed Lakesidian <_< .

:( We're good for Saturday. I think we better stick with a route we know. My rock climbing friend doesn't guarantee we can make it to the top his way...that's a hike for another day don't ya think???

Right, my diving plans have been pushed to Monday, so I'll be there for El Cajon Mtn on Saturday - let me know the time/place/parking plans. I'm going to the ballgame on Friday night so can't guarantee I'll be at my most sparkling early on Saturday, but I'd rather be a bit sleepy than be roasted alive a couple of hours later. I'm happy to do it as a guaranteed there-and-back rather than end up bushwhacking an unknown canyon as the sun sets....

Now the next question is, how are the views from the top? Is it worth lugging my big DSLR camera up there?

:lol: I visited the trail head today. The parking lot is closed. The are is being used by the company doing the road construction on Wild Cat Canyon Road. By tomorrow there will be barricades preventing anyone from parking there. There is a parking arae across the road at Oakoasis or soemthing like that. Now what time is all we need to decide.

I'd like to start by 6a, earlier if possible, but after reading each log of the Sea to Sea cache, I'm convinced I don't wanna start alone; so, I'll join the earliest group of cachers to head up.

Hopefully, the Oakasis lot will be open this early; it wasn't when the Splashes dropped their caches last year. If it's closed there is some parking north of the road about 200 yards. The other thing we can do is park in Lakeside and carpool to a parking area. A good place to park would be at the Sheriff substation on Woodside just south of Winter Gardens.

I'd like to start by 6a, earlier if possible, but after reading each log of the Sea to Sea cache, I'm convinced I don't wanna start alone; so, I'll join the earliest group of cachers to head up.

Hopefully, the Oakasis lot will be open this early; it wasn't when the Splashes dropped their caches last year. If it's closed there is some parking north of the road about 200 yards. The other thing we can do is park in Lakeside and carpool to a parking area. A good place to park would be at the Sheriff substation on Woodside just south of Winter Gardens.

:lol: John and I are willing to go at 6am ..but what about the others? Who is going?

:lol: John and I are willing to go at 6am ..but what about the others? Who is going?

I will be there to start at 6am too. Can someone email me (or post here) cellphone numbers and coords (or a nearby cache) for the starting spot? I can see a few trails going east of Wildcat Canyon, are we going past Flagman's Rescue? My number is 858-699-3486.

Sorry to intermingle events but for those of you that are interested in a moderate hike tomorrow, Miragee, Radio Racers and I are going to hike up Viejas Peak. The hike up the the peak is about 2 miles and 1400 feet. The plan is to meet at J&J's Viejas Trailhead cache at 9AM. J&J were also nice enough to place a new cache up there last week! This cache has Delaware geocoin which I'm looking forward to "discovering" now that GC has that new TB feature! :laughing: So if you plan on joining our group please chime in so we don't head up the trail without you! :laughing:

0d57c2e2-a5fa-4ef9-bde2-b4915ef52898.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Sorry to intermingle events but for those of you that are interested in a moderate hike tomorrow, Miragee, Radio Racers and I are going to hike up Viejas Peak. The hike up the the peak is about 2 miles and 1400 feet. The plan is to meet at J&J's Viejas Trailhead cache at 9AM. J&J were also nice enough to place a new cache up there last week! This cache has Delaware geocoin which I'm looking forward to "discovering" now that GC has that new TB feature! :laughing: So if you plan on joining our group please chime in so we don't head up the trail without you! :laughing:

Don't forget to drive up the road a little ways and get our other cache...."it's a walk right up to it cache"

<snip>

After hiking more than 12 miles yesterday icon_smile_tongue.gif . . . I'm a bit tired and sore today. But, I'm planning on being there. :blink:

Does anyone want to hike to the Carveacre Wind Cave cache with me tomorrow afternoon . . . if I have any energy left?

After hiking more than 12 miles yesterday icon_smile_tongue.gif . . . I'm a bit tired and sore today. But, I'm planning on being there. :laughing:

Does anyone want to hike to the Carveacre Wind Cave cache with me tomorrow afternoon . . . if I have any energy left?

Bummer on not knowing about your MTRP hike last night because I could have gone. :blink: I took today off because I'm getting close to my limit on vacation time. Oh well maybe next time...

I would but J&J just DNFed that one.... :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

I guess this post by Team Adelos about the MTRP got lost with all the other "events" . . . :blink: My participation was very last minute. I thought I was only going to do the FTF attempt out here on the new cache at Horsethief Canyon. Now I can't even get FTF in my own area. :( cegrube has expanded his territory . . . :blink:

About the Carveacre Cache . . . Yup . . . I know. I'll have to check with 3cd's, and/or the cache owner, before making that hike I guess . . . :laughing:

However, the area is really cool. I love all those tumbled boulders on Gaskill. :laughing:

I guess this post by Team Adelos about the MTRP got lost with all the other "events" . . . :laughing:
Yes it got lost for me. That's why I posted a reminder post for Viejas tomorrow! But as it turns out if you guys were meeting at 5PM, I couldn't have made it because my son had his hockey playoff game last night at 6PM. Unfortunately, they lost to the #1 team from RB High 4-3. :laughing:

:laughing: John and I are willing to go at 6am ..but what about the others? Who is going?

I will be there to start at 6am too. Can someone email me (or post here) cellphone numbers and coords (or a nearby cache) for the starting spot? I can see a few trails going east of Wildcat Canyon, are we going past Flagman's Rescue? My number is 858-699-3486.

Mr. Pete Weintraub (PC Woody?) responded to an email Jahoadi sent out yesterday. He replied 7A is fine with him. I responded 6A is better for me. I haven't heard back from him. I believe Duganrm is set on 6A as well; so, I'll be there at 6A.

These are coords to Oakoasis entrance, N32 54.733 W116 53.099. El Cap entrance is across the street just past this entrance.

Neptune's Daughter expressed an interest in going as she is training for a Mt Whitney hike; she has not committed but will be there at 6A if she can make it.

The head count I have is Jahoadi and John, Dr. Boggis, Duganrm, myself, and PC Woody, if he makes it at 6A. GD Ginger will not make it; Mrs. Chuy is taking her to Dog Beach.

My cell is 619-921-4850.

Team Geogeeks is going to try and do this event tomorrow morning. We have to be back up in Escondido by 1 for a 50th Wedding Annivesary, maybe if we're a little late they won't mind. :blink:

If we're not down there by a little after 9, go without us. (you were probably planning on doing that anyways.) :blink:

We'll bring Roxy.....she's a TB. We'll probably end up carrying her most of the way. She likes that.