San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

I agree with TrailGators...don't use the Arc... even for a long trip...I take the 40 to OKC once or twice a year...I like to filter out anything farther out then 2 miles....If i use the ARC...it drops caches that are a few feet off the road and gives me some that are 10 miles out....and the 40 is fairly straight...but that is just my opinion.

RocketMan gave a bunch of info on filters in the main SD forum last year....He is the Man!

I found his specific thread on that, and used Mapsource to make my route and GSAK to make an arc filter from that. I don't think it's going to miss any caches because it's using the actual route, not just a couple of points. Normally I just keep the caches within 10 miles from home (ok, I have a LOT of caches to find still) in the GPSr and many times I'll find myself somewhere with no nearby caches loaded in the GPSr. I'm sure that becomes less of a problem once you've found 1000+ caches! I collect all the caches in San Diego out to the Salton Sea in my regular PQ's, so it's nice to make sure any that I might pass by are in the GPSr even if I stray off the planned route by a few miles. So in this case, an arc filter is exactly what I needed! Works well! Thanks to RM for the info! Edited by TFTC
I agree with TrailGators...don't use the Arc... even for a long trip...I take the 40 to OKC once or twice a year...I like to filter out anything farther out then 2 miles....If i use the ARC...it drops caches that are a few feet off the road and gives me some that are 10 miles out....and the 40 is fairly straight...but that is just my opinion.

RocketMan gave a bunch of info on filters in the main SD forum last year....He is the Man!

I found his specific thread on that, and used Mapsource to make my route and GSAK to make an arc filter from that. I don't think it's going to miss any caches because it's using the actual route, not just a couple of points. Normally I just keep the caches within 10 miles from home (ok, I have a LOT of caches to find still) in the GPSr and many times I'll find myself somewhere with no nearby caches loaded in the GPSr. I'm sure that becomes less of a problem once you've found 1000+ caches! I collect all the caches in San Diego out to the Salton Sea in my regular PQ's, so it's nice to make sure any that I might pass by are in the GPSr even if I stray off the planned route by a few miles. So in this case, an arc filter is exactly what I needed! Works well! Thanks to RM for the info!

I agree that the arc filter has a good use. I just never use it because the more I cache the less likely I am to stop to get a guardrail cache or an LPC. Once you seen one thousand of them....you still haven't seen them all! <_< Anyhow, what I have been starting to do is to make a favorite cache map file that has others favorite caches. Many people are maintaining lists like this so I can download their lists quickly and dump them into a special map file. So then I load that file into my geepus each time I flush it and reload a new PQ. I also do the same thing for puzzle caches that I've solved! So if I happen to get near a favorite or a solved puzzle, I'll go get it! :P

Do you still need a carpool for Saturday?

Miragee, You can also ride with us. I think we will leave at 0700..not sure how long it takes to get there and we don't want them to leave without us <_< I think you have the coords to our house. :mad:

I kept her out late so I don't know if she will check the forum tonight. She should respond if you emailed her though.

Anyhow, what I have been starting to do is to make a favorite cache map file that has others favorite caches. Many people are maintaining lists like this so I can download their lists quickly and dump them into a special map file. So then I load that file into my geepus each time I flush it and reload a new PQ. I also do the same thing for puzzle caches that I've solved! So if I happen to get near a favorite or a solved puzzle, I'll go get it! <_<
Depending on how early I get up, I may just try to catch the 395 caches and meet you at 76/15.
Anyhow, what I have been starting to do is to make a favorite cache map file that has others favorite caches. Many people are maintaining lists like this so I can download their lists quickly and dump them into a special map file. So then I load that file into my geepus each time I flush it and reload a new PQ. I also do the same thing for puzzle caches that I've solved! So if I happen to get near a favorite or a solved puzzle, I'll go get it! <_<
Depending on how early I get up, I may just try to catch the 395 caches and meet you at 76/15.

Me, Historia and Infinitee (my kids :mad: ) will be there also. Looking forward to the fun.

Me, Historia and Infinitee (my kids :mad: ) will be there also. Looking forward to the fun.

Should be fun! You may want to bring your sleds! :mad:

And here is my camera's version of that same picture.

065b520b-bba0-457d-ace7-3679a5f41c1c.jpg

What a very, very fun day that was. Where does the SDCET go next? :bad:

Man, that tree is massive! The one branch on the left is almost 6 feet across!

Some ideas would be Hollenbeck, Indiana Ed, Stone Ruinations, Couch series and the Iron Mountain Elle Lane Loop. I also want to get up to Casper's Park someday! That area is very cool!

Do you have any ideas?

By any chance did anyone bring the Dora 2 TB back from At the Top?

I've been busy getting ready to go to England and only this evening thought about Dora. :bad:

I've been watching here but have not seen any activity from her in weeks! Then, what do I see but the SDCET geocachers logging her out and back into caches in Palomar! :o

Well, If anyone has her or can get a hold of her by next weekend, will you please let me know so I can take her with me to England. I'm leaving Tuesday 4/18. :o

Thanks, Jeff

Edited by drexotic

I've been busy getting ready to go to England and only this evening thought about Dora. :bad:

I've been watching here but have not seen any activity from her in weeks! Then, what do I see but the SDCET geocachers logging her out and back into caches in Palomar! :ph34r:

Well, If anyone has her or can get a hold of her by next weekend, will you please let me know so I can take her with me to England. I'm leaving Tuesday 4/18. :o

Thanks, Jeff

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Dora's still At the Top. Palomar is a very cool place to go so maybe with the schools out this week, someone might go up there and get it! Good Luck! :o

I've been watching here but have not seen any activity from her in weeks! Then, what do I see but the SDCET geocachers logging her out and back into caches in Palomar! :o

Thanks, Jeff

I am not sure where it ended up but I know Infinitee had her and thought about taking her. You might want to email her and/or Team Adelos and see if they ended up with her.

I've been busy getting ready to go to England and only this evening thought about Dora. :anibad:

I've been watching here but have not seen any activity from her in weeks! Then, what do I see but the SDCET geocachers logging her out and back into caches in Palomar! :anibad:

Well, If anyone has her or can get a hold of her by next weekend, will you please let me know so I can take her with me to England. I'm leaving Tuesday 4/18. :anibad:

Thanks, Jeff

I am not sure where it ended up but I know Infinitee had her and thought about taking her. You might want to email her and/or Team Adelos and see if they ended up with her.

Thanks! Sounds like you had a great time up there. Sorry I missed it!

I spent the day moving furniture and medical equipment while my Hospital got it's floors waxed and polished. <_< Jeff

I've been busy getting ready to go to England and only this evening thought about Dora. :anibad:

I've been watching here but have not seen any activity from her in weeks! Then, what do I see but the SDCET geocachers logging her out and back into caches in Palomar! :anibad:

Well, If anyone has her or can get a hold of her by next weekend, will you please let me know so I can take her with me to England. I'm leaving Tuesday 4/18. :ph34r:

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks! Sounds like you had a great time up there. Sorry I missed it!

I spent the day moving furniture and medical equipment while my Hospital got it's floors waxed and polished. <_< Jeff

Jeff come to think of it Richard is right! I also now remember that Infinitee might have taken it! I remember her talking about a TB that was stuck up there. :anibad:

Edited by TrailGators

Oh, we could go to the Boulder Creek Road series . . . :anibad:

?

Here is the map of those caches:

19705069-c019-4f44-8784-78099b4b8e39.jpg

All but one of them is very close to the road. <_<

If the group decides to do those, it is only a few more miles down Japatul Valley Road and Lyons Valley Road to more caches, in particular, SMOKEY's great "Valey Pillar via Quail Oasis," Ghost Corral, and cAMMO Can.

d093e5b0-8fa3-464f-917a-3d41a6caebe7.jpg

That is a wonderful hike . . . :anibad:

Another four-mile loop takes you to the very amazing Latitude 32's Treasure Trove and Night Hunter's That Man Stole My Horse.

Very well-graded. There is one low place, with cement, where water goes across the road . . . at my "Proceed With Caution." I went across it easily, but slowly, with my Toyota Matrix.

If the weather is clear, you will be amazed at the views! <_< You get to see the mountains from a whole different perspective.

Great! Thanks for the info! I haven't tried this yet, but for some of these events, we should be able to create a bookmark list of target caches and share it so we can all easily download a gpx file and scope them out in our favorite mapping program.

On edit - actually it was pretty easy - I just loaded Google Earth and the GC browser and created a bookmark list right from there. SDCET - Boulder Creek Road Tour. I guess if we want the waypoints, we'd create a pocket query from the bookmark page.

Edited by TFTC
Excellent idea about the Pocket Query for the caches we are going for. I don't know why I missed some from Saturday's excursion, because I thought my filter would include everything . . .

But it didn't . . . <_<

However, it did have "Chuy's Cache." :D

My recommendation is that before you head out to go caching load a PQ with 500 caches centered on the area you are going to. If you go a little outside of the area you are still covered. You can also trim out the areas that you know that you won't hit before uploading to the GPS from the map program. When you get home reload whatever you normally keep on your GPS. :huh:

a93fb0e8-12c4-40cd-8042-91007bccf5ad.jpg

I've been busy getting ready to go to England and only this evening thought about Dora. <_<

I've been watching here but have not seen any activity from her in weeks! Then, what do I see but the SDCET geocachers logging her out and back into caches in Palomar! :D

Well, If anyone has her or can get a hold of her by next weekend, will you please let me know so I can take her with me to England. I'm leaving Tuesday 4/18. :(

Thanks, Jeff

We have Dora #2.. We will put her in a cache near an airport. My daughter picked it up but I guess she forgot to log it. We should have it moving soon. :huh:

It sound like you guy/gals really had a good time. ;)

Just wait for the reports of ticks, poison oak, and the smell of fresh cow patties. ;)

So is anybody scratching yet?

I got 5 ticks but no poison oak! Did you get poison oak?

Well here's the first Poison Oak report from last Saturday: John has it around his EYE..it's all swollen this am and I see the blisters forming on his eyelid....YUCK!!!! He remembers lifting his head and saying S$%^^!

It sound like you guy/gals really had a good time. ;)

Just wait for the reports of ticks, poison oak, and the smell of fresh cow patties. ;)

Well here's the first Poison Oak report from last Saturday: John has it around his EYE..it's all swollen this am and I see the blisters forming on his eyelid....YUCK!!!! He remembers lifting his head and saying S$%^^!

Bummer. Let's see a photo....

It sound like you guy/gals really had a good time. :huh:

Just wait for the reports of ticks, poison oak, and the smell of fresh cow patties. :huh:

;) Eeuuuwwwww! That sounds awful! :D;)

Has he gone to a doctor?

It sound like you guy/gals really had a good time. :D

Just wait for the reports of ticks, poison oak, and the smell of fresh cow patties. B)

:D Eeuuuwwwww! That sounds awful! :lol:B)

Has he gone to a doctor?

B) Yup..Doc gave him antihistamine, salve, eye drops and motrin for the bruised tail bone he got bushwhacking at Duganrm's new micro near the rattlesnake. dang..can I take him anywhere? r/ jodi

It sound like you guy/gals really had a good time. B)

Just wait for the reports of ticks, poison oak, and the smell of fresh cow patties. :D

B) Eeuuuwwwww! That sounds awful! B):lol:

Has he gone to a doctor?

B) Yup..Doc gave him antihistamine, salve, eye drops and motrin for the bruised tail bone he got bushwhacking at Duganrm's new micro near the rattlesnake. dang..can I take him anywhere? r/ jodi

:DB)

:lol: Yup..Doc gave him antihistamine, salve, eye drops and motrin for the bruised tail bone he got bushwhacking at Duganrm's new micro near the rattlesnake. dang..can I take him anywhere? r/ jodi

The micro isn't mine! That one belongs to The Dillon Gang. B)

Sorry to hear about all the pain John is in. It sounds like you might want to keep him on urban micros for awhile.