San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Hmm, I notice that you left out "Miramar #1."

Probably wont get that far west. I had the larger photo first, but I cropped out the area I could not reach. That cache is calling me every pass on the 52 also!

Don't be too hasty. It's a simple matter to get to "Miramar #1" from "Far Star"... (and if you want you can go on to "Uppa the Hill, Downa the Hill" while you are at it...)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

(Seriously, though, I've done it. It's not that bad, but it's a good idea to have Google Earth printouts with you...)

Hmm, I notice that you left out "Miramar #1."

Probably wont get that far west. I had the larger photo first, but I cropped out the area I could not reach. That cache is calling me every pass on the 52 also!

Don't be too hasty. It's a simple matter to get to "Miramar #1" from "Far Star"... (and if you want you can go on to "Uppa the Hill, Downa the Hill" while you are at it...)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

(Seriously, though, I've done it. It's not that bad, but it's a good idea to have Google Earth printouts with you...)

Now that I've started this Miramara #1 discussion I should comment on it from recent experience. Coming this way does give you a chance to catch up on the North Fortuna caches.

The easy way to score that cache is to start at the MTRP Portobello trailhead and then use the wildlife-corridor tunnel that goes under Highway 52. Of course this approach means that you must ignore the "Keep Out" and other prohibitive signs that surround the tunnel. I would never encourage you to ignore the signs.

That said then know that when you come out of the tunnel on the north end you will be 0.36 mile from the Miramar #1 cache. There's a deer trail that loops first west and then east to follow the highway fenceline. Almost no uphill except south of the highway and right before the cache.

That leaves the issue of where the tunnel is located. When you drive Highway 52 near the summit look for a pair of solar-array poles with large green electrical boxes directly across the freeway from one another. There's also a large drainage grate that empties into the tunnel and is located in median between the two poles. The tunnel runs from right under one pole to the other.

There's a tubing-gate affair at the north end of the tunnel to restrict passage. However, one wide-space gives access to large wildlife such as deer. This calls for a bit of crawling through in order to twist shoulders and hips as needed for passage.

If you happen to be amply girthed then just stay stuck in the gate opening until the other members of your party bring the logbook back to you for signature. None of that in-absentia logbook stuff y' hear?

Coming at the cache from the east while scoring all those other north-of-52 caches on the same day ain't for seesies.

O yeah, Cegrube oughta be shot for "Uppa the Hill Downa the Hill."

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I just checked Schad's book. It is 12 miles roundtrip from Gunn Stage. There are 3 equally high peaks of whick the northern one is the only one that is doable because of thick brush. So the way to do it is the way that those guys gave and RocketMan plotted!

c6272442-6e3c-4855-b8c3-916d34880e5f.jpg

We are planning to do this hike on Saturday.

We will meet at the parking coords provided on here at 8:30AM.

Gower: N33 00.121 W116 46.027 @8:30AM tomorrow! ;)

DocDitto, you copy?

I told him this would be a good place to post since Admin closed his "Hey San Diego Folks...." thread, even though it has more replies than half the non-San Diego threads.

Maybe Admin didn't lilke the cowboy jokes ;) .

Edited by Chuy
I can't commit yet; probably not till Saturday afternoon.

If I can manage it, I will leave my house circa 5:30a; my turnaround will be the caches at the border, Stone Ruination #3--Wort Breath .  But I don't want to get there before dark as that will look pretty suspicious to the Border Patrol.  So, I'll stop by a few easy ones down the 94. 

We can meet at the Steele bridge at 6a, or any other area you suggest.

Chuy, We've done most of the ruination ones, but not the 2 way East. I'll see how many others are out that way and see if it's do-able. There are 2 or 3 we missed near dangling balls though. Have you done any of the ruination ones? Is danoh coming? It is nice out there...roads were ok for our little CRv ( for the most part) I'll check here tomorrow afternoon.

It may also be helpful to bring forum printouts as well... lets see, can we dl them into cachemate?!!! I guess I could just add a note to the cache description myself with a quote of a quote!, then generate a new PQ. Or, the fun way, just follow the arrow! Nice forum, I feel like I have a new computer or something!

What goes on during one of these mini gettogethers? I'll take it that were picking up trash along the road, But what else? Any geocaching that can be done from a 2wd minivan? I think the wife would go nuts all over me if I tried to take her van offraod.

Gene

We just go out seaching for caches. This morning 4 of us met at the base of Gower and spent a few hours hiking looking for caches (and possibly placing others :D) In the afternoon 3 of us did some of the park and grabs around Ramona.

We just go out seaching for caches. This morning 4 of us met at the base of Gower and spent a few hours hiking looking for caches (and possibly placing others :D) In the afternoon 3 of us did some of the park and grabs around Ramona.

:D Oh great, another SDCE breadcrumb cache....... :D

Edited by PassingWind

Anyone interested in tackling Snakes and Ladders next Sunday, February 12th?

Need some good puzzle solvers included.

Not the greatest at puzzles but I have overheard some hints for that cache. :huh: I should be able to show up.

I could go but then you'd be done in about 30 seconds! :D

We just go out seaching for caches. This morning 4 of us met at the base of Gower and spent a few hours hiking looking for caches (and possibly placing others ;)) In the afternoon 3 of us did some of the park and grabs around Ramona.

:lol: Oh great, another SDCE breadcrumb cache....... :D

You mean cacheS! :D

If I can manage it, I will leave my house circa 5:30a; my turnaround will be the caches at the border, Stone Ruination #3--Wort Breath .  But I don't want to get there before dark as that will look pretty suspicious to the Border Patrol.  So, I'll stop by a few easy ones down the 94. 

Chuy, We've done most of the ruination ones, but not the 2 way East. I'll see how many others are out that way and see if it's do-able. There are 2 or 3 we missed near dangling balls though. Have you done any of the ruination ones? Is danoh coming? It is nice out there...roads were ok for our little CRv ( for the most part) I'll check here tomorrow afternoon.

I think Ruination #1 was definitely 4WD from either direction. However, as I recall, it wouldn't probably be a huge walk from the place where it gets rough north of the cache. That is where the road splits, one fork going to R #1, and the other going to dhsundance's cache and my cache.

Parsa

I think Ruination #1 was definitely 4WD from either direction. However, as I recall, it wouldn't probably be a huge walk from the place where it gets rough north of the cache. That is where the road splits, one fork going to R #1, and the other going to dhsundance's cache and my cache.

Parsa

Yes...Stone 1 is 4WD..don't be dumb like Jahoadi and john....walk...some of the ones off Marron Valley Rd are ok by 2WD.

Meeting time is still flexible as long as the first number is at least an 8! B)

Sheesh! I had to change my password before I could get back into the forums.

I need to do those caches too. 8:59?

Me too! it's cause it's completely different software. I'm still getting used to it.... Anyhow, I was thinking more like 8:30. Wear long pants because we'll have to bushwhack out to Meadow's edge!

DocDitto, you copy?

I told him this would be a good place to post since Admin closed his "Hey San Diego Folks...." thread, even though it has more replies than half the non-San Diego threads.

Maybe Admin didn't lilke the cowboy jokes :lol: .

Heh, took me long enough but I fnally got here. I'll need to keep an eye on some of these long-term San Diego threads. I'm going to try to find that thead someone posted before about the San Diego favorite caches. Need to check out the ones mentioned.

Is there still a desire to get a small group together for the Southwestern Most cache in the US on Wednesday, March 15? I know I'd be up for it.

DocDitto, you copy?

Heh, took me long enough but I fnally got here. I'll need to keep an eye on some of these long-term San Diego threads. I'm going to try to find that thead someone posted before about the San Diego favorite caches. Need to check out the ones mentioned.

Is there still a desire to get a small group together for the Southwestern Most cache in the US on Wednesday, March 15? I know I'd be up for it.

I may be able to take some time off work and go.

DocDitto, you copy?

I may be able to take some time off work and go.

:D:lol: I should be able to go and hopefully John.

Anyone interested in tackling Snakes and Ladders next Sunday, February 12th?

Need some good puzzle solvers included.

We will be out there most of the day starting in about an hour if anyone wants to come laugh at us or help. :anicute: Just look for the people holding the GPSrs and looking confused.

Can't cache Saturday; I'll be taking my daughter's birthday ensemble to the movies to celebrate her 10th birthday. Someone shoot me now! :P

I may escape Sunday morning, down the 94 again.

What does'nt kill you will make you stronger.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me :P

Thinking about doing McGinty this Saturday! Anyone game?! (I can't go Sunday)

Figured we could hit those 12 caches and then hit a few more puzzles in the area! :D

I'm game. How many Gatorades will you drink that day?

I'll probably be riding my mountain bike back up Orosco Ridge again on Sunday. :D

Not sure how many Gatorades I'll drink.... :D But I think McGinty will be easier than the hike we did to Gower's three peaks and the lower peak where I placed the Three Amigos cache....

As far as Orosco.....you can drive fairly close to the new one and walk to it from the second gate! I'm still curious if there's a back way into that area from Lake Wohlford.....The Splashes may explore the area and find out...

Figured we could hit those 12 caches and then hit a few more puzzles in the area! :(

I'll probably be riding my mountain bike back up Orosco Ridge again on Sunday. :(

Not sure how many Gatorades I'll drink.... :huh: But I think McGinty will be easier than the hike we did to Gower's three peaks and the lower peak where I placed the Three Amigos cache....

As far as Orosco.....you can drive fairly close to the new one and walk to it from the second gate! I'm still curious if there's a back way into that area from Lake Wohlford.....The Splashes may explore the area and find out...

:( What time are you starting Sat? Where will you meet? Can we join you? Our others plans sort of got canx. Is this rain or shine? Do we need to bring gatorade?

Figured we could hit those 12 caches and then hit a few more puzzles in the area! :(

I'll probably be riding my mountain bike back up Orosco Ridge again on Sunday. :(

Not sure how many Gatorades I'll drink.... :) But I think McGinty will be easier than the hike we did to Gower's three peaks and the lower peak where I placed the Three Amigos cache....

:( What time are you starting Sat? Where will you meet? Can we join you? Our others plans sort of got canx. Is this rain or shine? Do we need to bring gatorade?

Sure! The more the merrier! :huh: How about of meeting around 9AM at the trailhead up to McGinty? I don't have the coordinates for that spot but will find out and update later....I think there are about 12 caches we can hit and yes......bring some Gatorade! :)

Sure! The more the merrier! :huh: How about of meeting around 9AM at the trailhead up to McGinty? I don't have the coordinates for that spot but will find out and update later....I think there are about 12 caches we can hit and yes......bring some Gatorade! :(

You Can Cache (GCPMXD) is at the parking area Miragee recommends.

Sure! The more the merrier! :D How about of meeting around 9AM at the trailhead up to McGinty? I don't have the coordinates for that spot but will find out and update later....I think there are about 12 caches we can hit and yes......bring some Gatorade! :laughing:

0900? Did you get your numbers upside down and really mean 0600? Just kidding.... :D:D

Sure! The more the merrier! :D How about of meeting around 9AM at the trailhead up to McGinty? I don't have the coordinates for that spot but will find out and update later....I think there are about 12 caches we can hit and yes......bring some Gatorade! :laughing:

0900? Did you get your numbers upside down and really mean 0600? Just kidding.... :D:D

Unlike some of you South County folks, us North County folks like our sleep! :D Plus we have a long drive to get there!

So we will meet at You Can Cache (GCPMXD) at 0900ish....

Here is the recommended route up McGinty:

89684b19-22b4-421b-8a29-ed24170e69b9.jpg

On our way back down, we'll take a shorter but steeper route and hit "Just Showin' the Way" and "Agave Grande" caches.

The "Peg Leg Mine Mine" cache is in that area as well, but is off the trail. So we'll approach that one from a different parking spot off Peg Leg Mine Road when we are done with the other McGinty caches.

John and I placed 9 caches this weekend for the mini-campout. The reviewer asked me to ensure him that I adhered to all park rules for placing geo-caches. I can't find specific cache rules for Anza Borrego Desert State Park. We abided by all normal rules, no private property , no closed areas, etc, but I want to make sure we didn't miss any "real" rules specific to ABDSP. Do any of you know of a list or website with anything specific?

John and I placed 9 caches this weekend for the mini-campout. The reviewer asked me to ensure him that I adhered to all park rules for placing geo-caches. I can't find specific cache rules for Anza Borrego Desert State Park. We abided by all normal rules, no private property , no closed areas, etc, but I want to make sure we didn't miss any "real" rules specific to ABDSP. Do any of you know of a list or website with anything specific?

I don't know all the rules off the top of my head, but I know from the ranger talks that we have had at the campout events that I went to, they are particularly concerned about people placing caches at archaeological sites (don't do it). I think they also added a rule about keeping caches near existing trails or roads. Send an e-mail to WestCoastAdmin for more details.

RM

I don't know all the rules off the top of my head, but I know from the ranger talks that we have had at the campout events that I went to, they are particularly concerned about people placing caches at archaeological sites (don't do it). I think they also added a rule about keeping caches near existing trails or roads. Send an e-mail to WestCoastAdmin for more details.

RM

Here are the details:

The cache must be placed in compliance with one or more of the

additional guidelines set forth by the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP) management.

1. Caches must be placed within 50 feet of authorized trail.

2. No caches permitted within 200 feet of an historic or archeological site.

3. No caches permitted in, on or under any building, structure or manmade

object.

4. Caches cannot be buried. (*per gc.com policy)

5. No cutting or modification of vegetation.

6. No modifying of geologic features, i.e., no moving rocks, hiding under rocks

or creating cairns.

When placing cache in ABDSP always post a note to the review stating the cache follows the above guidlines.

PassingWind

RM

Here are the details:

additional guidelines set forth by the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP) management.

object.

or creating cairns.

When placing cache in ABDSP always post a note to the review stating the cache follows the above guidlines.

PassingWind

I didn't know the cairn rule....don't quite undertand that one.....but the rules are the rules....

Anyhow those rules are why fake rocks, fake animals and fake plants (cactus) work so well out there. Of course there are numerous spots that can support ammo cans or larger containers too.

RM

Here are the details:

object.

or creating cairns.

PassingWind

I didn't know the cairn rule....don't quite undertand that one.....but the rules are the rules....

Anyhow those rules are why fake rocks, fake animals and fake plants (cactus) work so well out there. Of course there are numerous spots that can support ammo cans or larger containers too.

:(:P;) Well...I think we adhered to most of these. One may be cutting it close..we hung one in a tree near an old Indian Village, but not in the village just beside the road before the sign... and we did move a couple of loose rocks to cover an ammo can. If anyone finds one of ours next month and they think we have violated the rules please tell us and we'll disable it.

B.R.A. has just come out of their coma.....any "meet-up" plans prior to theTemecula Event this Sunday? :(

I plan on heading up in the morning to spend the day caching(leaving Ramona around 8am). I have started working on some of the puzzles in the area to keep them as options too. I haven't gotten any firm plans out of anyone else.

B.R.A. has just come out of their coma.....any "meet-up" plans prior to theTemecula Event this Sunday? :(

I plan on heading up in the morning to spend the day caching(leaving Ramona around 8am). I have started working on some of the puzzles in the area to keep them as options too. I haven't gotten any firm plans out of anyone else.

I might go to but I want to get home at a decent hour. The event starts at 4PM.