Frapper Geocachers Map

Crusso

Ok, it's not a google link but it also doesn't hit up the Geoacaching Site.

I started a test map for the NE Geocachers, but it seems to have caught on and become a general cacher's map. Unfortunately I can't change the name of the map so even though it says "Northeast", everyone feel free to play around with it.

Check it out and see if you like the idea.

If so, we could do one for each regional group and one HUGE one for all Cachers!

It's free so what the hey. Plus others see the maps and maybe we pique some interest!

Cachers could even do individual ones for all their finds or hides or events, etc.

AND, If everyone posted their caches to one single one, we'd have one big mess...oops.

Hey, This should be a stickie!!

North East Geocachers on the map!

Edited by Crusso

I was intending this as a NE map for starters but we might as well make this one the general Geocaching map test.

Please just put your HOME ZIP CODE for now till we see how it works.

Then we can see about breaking down into regions if we get enough interest. Remember, anyone can start thier own map for caches, finds, etc. If we get enough interest (and TPTB approve) maybe we can have a seperate forum for "Members Maps" for everyone to post links to thier maps.

Edited by Crusso

I don't feel this is a post that needs to be pinned. If there is sufficient interest in the topic, it will pin itself as people respond to it.

Since your topic has changed to include all geocachers, not just those in the Northeast, you should consider editing your original post, if it will let you, to state that. I would also edit the name of the map you created to be inclusive of geocachers nationwide in order to avoid confusion.

If you want it to remain as a Northeast map, this topic should be closed in favor of the one you already started in the Northeast forums.

Edited by Quiggle
Well since the map shows everything from Nebraska and Texas to Labrador and Fla  its more than just a Northeast thing.

Actually this is pretty neat. You can see the terrain around where people live.  Thems a lot of farms by you Cybret!!!!

When I was a kid, all this was farm land...as far as the eye could see.

Now...ummm....uuhhh......they put a convenience store up....over there.

Actually, this is pretty cool. I might consider replacing the guestmap on my site.

Bret

Edited by CYBret

IMHO, I think it is a solution going somewhere to happen. Really don't see what it offers over what we already have at our fingertips.

We have great maps and satellite pictures now. We have GSAK for sorting caches 10 ways to Tuesday that sends them to be viewed on professional maps and Google Earth. We have export programs for sending waypoints to Palms and Pocket PC's for use in the field.

Really don't see what it offers over what we already have at our fingertips.

Uhhh, because it's fun and kinda cool...

I would also edit the name of the map you created to be inclusive of geocachers nationwide in order to avoid confusion.

As I said this was just a test to see if people were interested or there were any responses. I tried to re edit the map title to remove the "Northeast" but once a map is initiated you can't rename it. I suggest that individual regions start their own map in their individual forums and use this one just to play around with.

Edited by Crusso
I started a test map for the NE Geocachers, but it seems to have caught on and become a general cacher's map. Unfortunately I can't change the name of the map so even though it says "Northeast", everyone feel free to play around with i

Just a small suggestion:

Since it caught on BUT since it is still just a small group, perhaps you want to create a new map with a now-more-appropriate name? Sign up is so easy that I'd sign up again. So would others, methinks.

:( It gives us a second chanec to come up with a kewler "shout out! :(

What do you think, Crusso?

(I know - perhaps this would just create more confusion.)

Ah Ha, I'm running 98SE. I bet you get a blue screen saying windows is busy. I have to give it the 3 finger salute and reboot every time. I'm a little disappointed cause that was a cool map. I might find a way around it though.

----------------------------

Hey CR, I think I found a way around the problem. (No guarantee.)

If you were doing like me you left the browser open to the forums, and used the new pop up window to look at the map. Close all windows of internet explorer while using the map, and when you get done, close explorer. (You may be able to go back to the forums using favorites, I didn't try that though.)

Edited by Airmapper
QUOTE (Crusso @ Oct 13 2005, 11:36 PM)

I started a test map for the NE Geocachers, but it seems to have caught on and become a general cacher's map. Unfortunately I can't change the name of the map so even though it says "Northeast", everyone feel free to play around with i

Just a small suggestion:

Since it caught on BUT since it is still just a small group, perhaps you want to create a new map with a now-more-appropriate name? Sign up is so easy that I'd sign up again. So would others, methinks.

It gives us a second chanec to come up with a kewler "shout out! 

What do you think, Crusso?

I think it's a splendid idea! But since I started the original map I think someone else should go in and start a new one. Just goto the Home page and start one. I think renaming it just "Geocaching" would be fine. I'll then go and lock mine and eliminate the logo so there is no confusion and to allow the NE group to start a new one if they want.

Crusso, I have just started a map on Off Topic named Geocahers of the world unite!

You must mean "Paying Member Geocachers of the World Unite" We can't see Off Topic forums, we have no idea what your doing and therefore can't participate. If you really want to see "all" geocachers on your map, give us some kind of link here in the geocaching threads.