Cachemate 4.1

Sorry for the lameness of this question, but: how do I enter the registration code?

- I have the code.

- I have a Palm IIIxe.

- I start up Cachemate. (It's version 4.1.1.)

- I select Cachemate -> Option -> Register.

- The registration dialog pops up, prompting me to enter the code.

- Here's where the problem is: characters I write in the Graffiti pad are ignored, and when I tap the little abc-dot in the corner of the Graffiti pad, it just beeps angrily at me rather than popping up the on-screen keyboard.

Graffiti and the on-screen keyboard work fine in other applications.

I'm at a loss as to how to get this registration code in. I'm sure I'm just doing something really stupid... any ideas what?

edit: typo correction

Edited by the hermit crabs
Sure would be nice if the Cachemate 'L' screen could be longer (even if one has to scroll).

2048 characters isn't enough? That's what you can put in there now (yes, it'll scroll) and, from what you're talking about, it seems like that should be more than enough.

Well, there ya go. I was confused because I saw the last line under 'L' was 'TB'.

I guess I was looking for a word like 'Other' or 'Notes', I didn't realize I could bring up TB and do a carriage return and then put my data there, this is a good thing. Thanks for the making me aware of this feature I didn't even know existed.

Exactly. I didn't know it existed either until now. Sheesh. I wish I knew this months ago. <sigh>

Wondering if I can do this:

I have types of caches

found = logged online

Need to log= found but not logged on line yet

Virgin = where I put my new PQ's of unfound active caches

Is it possible to get a number when I log the paper logbook at the cache of what number of find it is while using Cachemate or do I also need to load a "clicker" program to do that function?

I think he'd like an automated display of how many finds he has when logging it in CM?  I agree, hard to parse. :D

If that's the case, whether categories or separate databases (overkill, probably) were used, a record count would be really easy to find. For categories, there's a Record Count option in the Record menu of the list view, and the Select Database popup will give you a per-database record count.

I think he'd like an automated display of how many finds he has when logging it in CM?  I agree, hard to parse. :D

If that's the case, whether categories or separate databases (overkill, probably) were used, a record count would be really easy to find. For categories, there's a Record Count option in the Record menu of the list view, and the Select Database popup will give you a per-database record count.

Just wondering if there was a more elegant way to know in the field what find a cache I was logging was. Present options are ether

leave the cache "pages" go to the database list and do a "Record Count" then return to the cache "LOG" page or

use a freeware counter program set to my "find" count, and use that program to keep track. Ether way is very doable. But as a future feature I would like to seer would be to add a field for a record count on the "Log" page that would increase by one every time you clicked on the "Found" check mark.

I'm using a Zire 21, so I know of the space limitations. If you changed the line that says; Date of Hunt |XX/XX/XX|

to Date |XX/XX/XX| #|XXXX|

Ether updated by the database or just a manual counter, just something I would like to see.

I downloaded CM 4.1 and cant seem to get caches loaded like I could before with 4.0.1. When I use the CMConvert, I now have to use a drop down option from the File to load file. I load the file then select all,again from the drop down and it tells me that 200 waypoints have been loaded. Now I dont know how to go ahead and convert them. I dont have any buttons to do so like I do with the 4.0.1 version. Have I done something wrong?

I think he'd like an automated display of how many finds he has when logging it in CM?  I agree, hard to parse. :rolleyes:

Just wondering if there was a more elegant way to know in the field what find a cache I was logging was. Present options are ether

leave the cache "pages" go to the database list and do a "Record Count" then return to the cache "LOG" page or

use a freeware counter program set to my "find" count, and use that program to keep track. Ether way is very doable. But as a future feature I would like to seer would be to add a field for a record count on the "Log" page that would increase by one every time you clicked on the "Found" check mark.

I'm using a Zire 21, so I know of the space limitations. If you changed the line that says; Date of Hunt |XX/XX/XX|

Ether updated by the database or just a manual counter, just something I would like to see.

You may want to try what I set-up this past weekend for my first day of caching with CacheMate. First of all I made a new category called "Found Today". Then when in any cache's "log page" choose "view options" in the top pull-down menus. Checkmark "Set category" and choose "Found Today". Now when you log a cache as found it "moves" from whatever category you had it in to the found today category. A quick glance at this list will tell you how many and the names of your cache finds so far that day.

Cheers, Olar

I think he'd like an automated display of how many finds he has when logging it in CM?  I agree, hard to parse. :ph34r:

You may want to try what I set-up this past weekend for my first day of caching with CacheMate. First of all I made a new category called "Found Today". Then when in any cache's "log page" choose "view options" in the top pull-down menus. Checkmark "Set category" and choose "Found Today". Now when you log a cache as found it "moves" from whatever category you had it in to the found today category. A quick glance at this list will tell you how many and the names of your cache finds so far that day.

Cheers, Olar

What I have always wanted to see was something like an "autonumbering" ability when the "Found?" button is tapped on the (L)og page. In other words, click on "Found" and CacheMate moves the cache from whatever category you originally placed it in to the Found category, and then tacks on a number to the cache name, like "001-", "002-", "003-" and so on. Not only will the Find category show the number of caches you have found (by the added "cache number" at the beginning) but it will also keep them in "found order" for the day.

When we go out for a geogeek day marathon (where we plan to hit perhaps 50 to 80+ caches in one day), we have the route pretty much figured out before we go. We know which caches we're going to hit. But before we head out, I manually add "000-" to the beginning of all the cache names. It makes it a bit easier to tap and select on the "000" characters and edit them while we're bouncing around in the car heading for the next cache (trying to get the cursor to sit just before the letter "I" if it's the first character of the cache name, for instance, is almost impossible in a moving car!!) Anyway, as we find the caches, I manually number them in sequential order -- when I get home, I have a record of the order we did them. I'm just that way, I guess.

But if CacheMate could "autonumber" them for me as I find them, that would really be great.

I just figured out that the catagory matching function (loading a PDB file with catagory name) is case sensitive.  I couldn't figure out why the 'today.pdb' would not load into the 'Today' catagory.  Not a big deal, but does it need to be this way?

Perhaps the fact that Palm OS category names are case-sensitive? :P

Not that most people would try that sort of thing, though, but it's possible.

But if CacheMate could "autonumber" them for me as I find them, that would really be great.

Well, I might have a solution for when you get home.

I do like Olar does and when "found" is checked, the cache moves to a "Log It" category. When I get home, I choose "Export Logs" and they go into my "Memo Pad".

I then sync my Palm and when I look at the Memo Pad list they are all in order of finds and I can just scan through each entry and look for notes / TB etc and if need be cut and paste from there into the log.

Maybe that is a work around you need?

I see from the GSAK thread you are using that, check out the File=>Load CacheMate logs and finds. This can sort you finds by date and time. If it's too confusing I can share a macro of mine that does this (it also numbers them in order).

I don't know, maybe cachemate already does this. If it does can someone explain to me how? If not it might be something to think about for future updates.

It would be nice if after a day of caching a person could just pull down a screen that lists all the caches visited that day.

Some days my memory is not all it should be. Thanks for your help. Al

I must be missing something. it would seem at times easier to search for a cache by entering the code for a cache rather than the coordinates.

is there a way to pick between the two for a search. If not is it something we could expect in the not to distant future? :lol:

In the Palm version (at least - don't know about the PPC version), tap on the "Wpt" box at the bottom of the list view. Then enter the code in the Graffiti area of your PDA, and the list will scroll to the code as it's entered.

Edited by Kai Team

I must be missing something. it would seem at times easier to search for a cache by entering the code for a cache rather than the coordinates.

is there a way to pick between the two for a search. If not is it something we could expect in the not to distant future? :lol:

In the Palm version (at least - don't know about the PPC version), tap on the "Wpt" box at the bottom of the list view. Then enter the code in the Graffiti area of your PDA, and the list will scroll to the code as it's entered.

You learn something everyday. I've always used the Palm's search function to find the name or waypoint number and didn't even realize this function was here.

I now have a second Palm on my computer. It is an old M500 that I am going to let my 10 year old daughter learn to use while geocaching. It is working fine and I have even loaded the Cachemate software to it. I created a second user on my computer so I can load her Palm separately from mine. Problem is that Cachemate on this second Palm will not accept my registration code. I am not clear from the Cachemate web site that I need a second code for this second Palm. Do I? If yes, do I go through the request page at Cachemate support? I looked at that and it seemed to be saying that my original code would work 5 times?

Thanks for clearing up exactly how I should do this.

I am not clear from the Cachemate web site that I need a second code for this second Palm. Do I?

Yes.

If yes, do I go through the request page at Cachemate support?

Yes.

I looked at that and it seemed to be saying that my original code would work 5 times?

You misread. Each registration, signified by an order number, is good for 5 registration codes.

Whenever I make a new CacheMate database, the categories are the default ones. Because I use the same custom categories in all my db's, the first thing I have to do after making a new db is edit the categories. Is there any way to have a new db automatically include my categories so I don't have to manually enter them in each new db?

Edited by Cheminer Will

Whenever I make a new CacheMate database, the categories are the default ones. Because I use the same custom categories in all my db's, the first thing I have to do after making a new db is edit the categories. Is there any way to have a new db automatically include my categories so I don't have to manually enter them in each new db?

Not really, no. Do you delete and recreate databases that often?

Actually, it would be a nice feature to have. If you are caching alot and have a large area covered in your PQ's (I have about 125 miles) you are deleting and reloading your DB's a lot. It's the only way to clean out the archived/not available caches, at least effectively. I do it about once a week.

I have been using the canned categories, however it would be great if I could seperate out things out a little more.

I do, but that may not be the way the majority does it. In addition to the long trips with multiple db's, if I am going caching for the day in an area away from my main db, (main db is within 50 miles of home), then I do it this way. I create a GSAK db for the area I am going to. Then I load the waypoints I want to the GPS'r and export the corresponding information to a Cachemate file which goes on the Palm into it's own db.

I just thought I may have been missing a place to set this. What I can do to make it work for me is to keep a db on the Palm that I just clear of previous waypoints and rename each time. Not a big deal, and much easier than recreating the categories each time. Plus, because I use GSAK, it's real easy to move data around.

Thanks for the reply. And the great program!

Edited by Cheminer Will

Is there anyway for a future version of Cachemate to add a DNF folder...

Unless you deleted it, there's a "Not Found" category. If you did delete it, you can always recreate it.

...or, on the Log Page to have another check mark area for DNF, which then sends it to a DNF folder. This is the one feature I would love to see added to this program. :P:D

The main problem there is cramming it into the UI... there's simply no room at this point, either for the checkbox or the config options to configure the automatic actions for it.

I am helping someone go paperless. I bought then a Palm IIIxe and am now needing to buy cachemate for them, so I can load it on there palm. My question is, they don't have an Paypal account, so I am going to purchase it for them, but I want to set-up there info for them when I buy it for them. Can I buy it with my paypal account and plug in there info on your site, so that they may get the updates and reminders in the future?

I know the hotsync name and everything. I am just getting them set-up.

Thanks

I am helping someone go paperless. I bought then a Palm IIIxe and am now needing to buy cachemate for them, so I can load it on there palm. My question is, they don't have an Paypal account, so I am going to purchase it for them, but I want to set-up there info for them when I buy it for them. Can I buy it with my paypal account and plug in there info on your site, so that they may get the updates and reminders in the future?

Short answer: Yes, and you can do it all from the Smittyware site.

Long answer: The updates mailing list isn't tied to the Paypal store in any way at the moment, so that's a separate trip to the "Mailing Lists" part of the site. The order will initially be tied to your email address, but switching it to her email account is no problem... that's one possible use of the email change form in the support area of the site :wub:

Hi,

- Selective decoding of hints by highlighting text to decode

I am just trying out CacheMate and I'd like to have the hints per default encrypted. Only if I like to see them, I want to have them decoded. Is it possible to add such a preference?

Also I have seen, if I decode only a part of the hints, this will be still the case if I get out of the cache and get in again. Therefore it might get confused if the decoding do not fit anymore.

I am using 4.1.2.

Thanks

Volkmar

Hi,

- Selective decoding of hints by highlighting text to decode

I am just trying out CacheMate and I'd like to have the hints per default encrypted. Only if I like to see them, I want to have them decoded. Is it possible to add such a preference?

Also I have seen, if I decode only a part of the hints, this will be still the case if I get out of the cache and get in again. Therefore it might get confused if the decoding do not fit anymore.

I am using 4.1.2.

Thanks

Volkmar

If you are loading CacheMate from GSAK this is easily done. Just UNcheck the "Decode hints by default" box on the dialog.

If you decode part of the hint, just tap the same button again to encode it after reading. That way everything is the same coding.

From the site:

Release - CMConvert 1.9.4

This release improves support for HTML entities in cache descriptions. It also improves support for zipped GPX files... now, all GPX files in a ZIP file are processed, instead of only the first.

Enjoy!

...or, on the Log Page to have another check mark area for DNF, which then sends it to a DNF folder. This is the one feature I would love to see added to this program. :D:D

The main problem there is cramming it into the UI... there's simply no room at this point, either for the checkbox or the config options to configure the automatic actions for it.

I have a suggestion about how to do this: Make the "Start" text a button to set the start time and make the "end" text into a button to mark the end. Remove "Mark Time" button and move the "Clear" button next to the date. Bingo, now you have room for a DNF check box. In fact, you might have enough room to also create a "Note" check box. (actually since only one should be selected, they should probably be radiobuttons)

My palm database has accumulated a lot of deadwood, caches that no longer exist etc. I don't want to overwrite the entire database since I have quite a few notes for various caches that I have found or am in the process of finding/decoding etc.

It would be nice to have an "import notes" option that loads exported notes back into the database. Then i could export the current notes, reload a clean database with just the caches I want, then import the notes back into the database.

Perhaps it's already a feature and I've just missed it, but it seems like it would be a handy feature to have around.

It would be nice to have an "import notes" option that loads exported notes back into the database. Then i could export the current notes, reload a clean database with just the caches I want, then import the notes back into the database.

Time to step outside that box...

- Go into Preferences and turn off the "Preserve old item category" option

- Create a new category to put the caches you want into

- Import the file of caches you want to keep around, specifying the newly created category

When you do that sequence of steps, something interesting (and entirely predictable) happens. All of the cache records you have in the import file will go into that category. If they already exist in the database, the notes will be preserved and those existing records will also be moved into that category.

Once that's done, you can batch delete everything in all the other categories, and turn the option to preserve item categories back on (if it was on before). Once that's done, you can move the records that are in that new category wherever you want, and delete that category.

I read the documentation on the CacheMate site about memory card support, but am unclear on this question:

Can I move db's between the SD card and Palm without using the laptop as an intermediary? I am going on a long trip and all the db's I have exceed the Palm's memory. I can use my laptop and GSAK to move db's around as the trip progresses, but would also like to be able to do it when I am not connected to my laptop.

Just to be clear.... I don't want to use the db's when stored on the card. Just store them there and switch the currently needed one to the Palm as the trip moves along.

Thanks!

Edited by Cheminer Will

Can I move db's between the SD card and Palm without using the laptop as an intermediary? I am going on a long trip and all the db's I have exceed the Palm's memory. I can use my laptop and GSAK to move db's around as the trip progresses, but would also like to be able to do it when I am not connected to my laptop.

Just to be clear.... I don't want to use the db's when stored on the card. Just store them there and switch the currently needed one to the Palm as the trip moves along.

There's nothing about that in CacheMate's documentation because it falls outside the scope of its own memoy card support. It is possible to do that, though, using a file manager program for Palm OS such as Filez.

One new plugin, and a few updated ones, all available here.

CacheNav - Support added for Garmin's Mobile XT software

iQueMapping - Support added for Garmin's Mobile XT software

NMEAQuery - Fixed a crash that occured on some devices when the serial/Bluetooth port was busy

And now for the new one...

MagellanSD - Exports a UPT file to an SD card inserted in the PDA. Symbols are as configurable as they are with the Magellan serial transfer plugin.

Enjoy!

Edited by Maeglin

I have the Garmin 60CS and I use GSAK to send the gc waypoint code (dropping the redundant "GC"), the container, the difficulty and the terrain (%drop2 %con1%dif=1%ter=1 in GSAK) as the 10 character waypoint name, and the cache name as the "waypoint description" (this shows up in the "comments" on the 60C/S and can contain up to 30 characters).

where does one find the syntax that can be used? The %dif=1 is a bit obscure as is the %drop2

TIA,

Jim