Would You Climb a steep rock cliff

Would You Trek Through Thick Vegitation

Would You Go Through A Simpel Cave System

Im Planing The Best Extream Cache Ever

Done it: a view of little sluggers

Done it: The Pinicle of our day

Done it: The Longest Mile

Done it: Left or Right? (offset cache)

Sluggers was a short climb. Pinicle almost killed the last cacher making the attempt. My own attempt was very scarry. Longest had very tall grass. And Left or Right had bats. Of these only the Pinicle could have easily killed me or the others. I won't be going there again.

To find the best places for the legs of this multi cach. I was thinking of having the legs located in diffrent arieas,,

Ex.

Part 1

the Tree would be at site A where there are good trees but no caves, Thick vegitation

Part 2

would be at site B where there is thick vegitation and steep rock clifs...

Ext....

Would cachers be willing to drive/walk/hick to diffrent locations...no major tralvling but some

This cache would take some time to do because i want to find the pefrect locations for the legs of It

-------

This would also be part day/night time cache.

---

Does any one have any outher cool ideas for an extream cache

I am also concidering part water. and a leg where the box is burried.

Would you Climbing a tree for a part of a multi cache

Would You Climb a steep rock cliff

Would You Trek Through Thick Vegitation

Would You Go Through A Simpel Cave System

Im Planing The Best Extream Cache Ever

yes,

yes,

yes,

and uh...

yes.

gosh i hope your cache is near me. I am SO DOWN!!!

ok i read the rules

sidenote is there any rule that says you can not suspend/hide a cache in water..

iv got a really good water proof container in mind

the cache would be anchored in water no higher than 5'

would be suspended under the water any where from 6" to 2' where a clip would hold and relice it to float to the surface where you would retreave a laminated sheet of instructions

Setting up a good multi-cache that doesn't become an archival risk two weeks after it's listed takes a lot of planning, research, and experience.

It would probably be a good idea to put the multi-cache idea on the back burner for now and go search for a couple of multi-caches in a wide area around your home coordinates.

If you've never found a multi-cache before, you haven't gotten a feel for the type of hides or the types of problems that regularly occur with multi-caches.

Having the firsthand multi-cache experience will help you avoid some of the pitfalls as you develop the cache, and less problems in the long run once the cache is listed.

Once the cache is listed, the logs your first few finders leave are going to be the single largest guide for cachers when they decide whether or not to search for your cache. If cachers start reporting DNFs because of poor coordinates, muggled containers, or treacherous conditions that they weren't warned about in advance, it will turn a lot of cachers off to using their few free hours to search for it.

You've noted my Juliett 484 mystery cache and the number of positive logs and the number of cachers watching the cache, something that I am glad to see as my mystery caches each took about a month to set up.

So, for what it is worth, I think that if you get a good base of previous finds for the type of cache that you'd like to set up, and spend some time working on each stage individually, you'll be starting off from a good foundation.

Good luck!

Caches that were placed prior to the rule are "grandfathered" in. Keeping that cache around for historical purposes makes it worth keeping in place. If I were the cache owner I might put something on the page that states that permission to dig was obtained and that this is no longer the norm for caches.

Because it's against the rules. Caches cannot be buried...ever. Even a little bit. If you have to dig to place or find it...it's against the rules.

Read the guidelines before you place youe cache.

edit: read the guidelines.

You are not supposed to bury a cache, however, you may utilize a depresion already present. If you fill in this depression around your cache, or cover it over with something, it would be sort of buried.

EDIT: According to the guidelines, a cache would be allowed if buried in beach sand, as no pointy tool would be required to hide or find it. I recall it used to say something to that effect a long time ago.

Edited by Criminal

Im just re posting the orignal question so I

dont have to scroll up and down to see what

ansewr corresponds to what question......

-Would you Climbing a tree for a part of a multi cache?

-Would You Climb a rock cliff? <-- changed from steep rock cliff!!

-Would You Trek Through Thick Vegitation?

-Would You Go Through A Simpel Cave System?

-Im Planing The Best Extream Cache Ever

----NEW QUESTION ----

Would you go in water probaly 5 feet deep to get a cache?

Edited by RAIDER 1

The questions asked so far have been (all to seek a cache):

-Would you climb a tree?

-Would you climb a steep rock cliff?

-Would You trek through thick vegetation?

-Would You crawl through a simple cave system?

-Would you go in water probaly 5 feet deep?

My answer to each is yes. And, to the questions above, I would add the following, since these situations ARE encountered in the caching world:

--Would you be willing to trek cross-country and off-trail in rough forested mountain terrain for over 3/4 mile?

-Would you be willing to retrieve a cache placed near a rattlesnake den (year-round presence of rattlesnakes, except for winter) with lots of bears around as well?

-Would you crawl out on a rusty beam under an abandoned railroad bridge over a 66 foot river gorge?

-Would you climb a utility pole or a sign post?

-Would you dive to a depth of about 15-20 feet to retrieve an uderwater cache which takes six seconds of work to remove?

And, my replies are yes to these as well.

My suggestion for an extreme cache is to go find some more caches -- 5/5's, notorious extreme caches (Tube Torcher, etc) or your own area's well-known extreme cache (for my area, it will be "Cary Mountain"). Only then you will know what is the true form of extreme.

And my personal suggestion for making it as extreme as can be -- not letting other people know what to expect. Those have always been the most extreme for me -- being caught off guard.

Good luck with your cache!

As far as placement in caves-it depends. I am assuming you have permission from the landowner/land manager to do this. In caving circles we have a saying- "The landowner is God" Personaly I would NOT do it. Caves are a fragile ecosystem that can be damaged by the masses. Bats may use the cave during certain months for hibrnation or maternity rooms. Broken formations will not regenerate in your lifetime. They can be damaged by the simple touch of your finger.

Even when trying to cave with as little impact as possible I have done damaged or negatively impacted flora and fauna inside. I balance that against the need to acurately locate,map and quantify the cave so that it can be part of the larger body of information on how to protect it.

There do exist some caves that do not require such a gentle hand. I don't believe in the concept of a dsposable cave however. I sadly have lost close personal friends while caving and have had a few stressfull moments myself. The friends I lost were both properly equipped and trained.

Another point to make and I'll step off--You should never cave alone, always have 3 sources of light, wear a helmet and always notify someone outside of your location. A ground or air search will not find you should an accident occur. Caving is best left to those who are properly trained and equipped. If you are interested in learning more or would like some help locally contact the National Speleological Society and they can help find someone locally to help you.

Setting up a good multi-cache that doesn't become an archival risk two weeks after it's listed takes a lot of planning, research, and experience.

Multi caches are not that hard to maintain. Of the closest 100 to my house 60 are Multi and 4 Mystery, and the rest single. Alot of the Multi-caches are over a 3 mile walk. One I found recently had 15 points, and you had to find 12 other caches to find the first 12 points of the 15 original.Hanskes Hidaway was one of the most enjoyable caches I have found. With that said I agree that you should get some experience finding multi's. If nothing else, it gives you new ideas

The questions asked so far have been (all to seek a cache):

--Would you be willing to trek cross-country and off-trail in rough forested mountain terrain for over 3/4 mile?

-Would you be willing to retrieve a cache placed near a rattlesnake den (year-round presence of rattlesnakes, except for winter) with lots of bears around as well?

-Would you crawl out on a rusty beam under an abandoned railroad bridge over a 66 foot river gorge?

-Would you climb a utility pole or a sign post?

-Would you dive to a depth of about 15-20 feet to retrieve an uderwater cache which takes six seconds of work to remove?

And, my replies are yes to these as well.

No,

No,

Insta-death,

yes,

ARE YOU FRIGGIN CRAZY???

-alex

Ok how about this what is the most dangerous thing you have done to get a cache?

Statistically, Drive.

Although I think a more proper answer would be: sending my son under a bridge to get a cache not knowing that finders that came not to long after us would photograph a rattler coiled up beside the cache a little later. The damage my wife layed into me because I sent the kid in to do the dirty work was nearly fatal after she learned that the cache was located in a rattler nest.

We would do any and all of the above!!! The underwater ones are intriging, there happens to be one near us that you "Should" be a liscenced scuba diver to get to. That sounds like fun, and boy do we wish we were scuba divers!!! Prefer not to drive all over the place though, especially with ever rising gas prices! Anyway, hope that helps!

If thats what it takes to get to the cache........................... Let me think about it.......................

still thinking.......................

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!