Snide Remarkes About Your Cache

Hi all; Into our second year now and still having a super time. We wanted to get some feedback about people who log caches finds or no finds with snide.nasty remarks. Makes you feel bad that someone can't have fun and enjoy your cache. Anyway is it better to just move on and say nothing. I have a bad feeling that if I answer that it will just get worse so we have been just not paying any attention to this person. Sure love the hobby and have trouble understanding how anyone can go geocaching in a bad mood. Well thanks so much for this forum I feel better already. The best to you. Ron

"Snide and nasty" usually amounts to "bored and stupid" and we are old enough and smart enough to ignore stupidity like that. Online logs as such can be removed and paper logs are just reminders to the people who find your log later of just how stupid some people can be.

Blow it off. If that's the best thing they have to do with their free time, you might even take a moment or two to pity the poor little pieces of carp.

:P

I'm pretty sure I found the log in question. It's a little snide, but not horrible. I'd just let it slide.

Just an aside, since they did complain about the ratings, I gotta wonder if they might possibly have something? 1.5/1 on a 4-stage multi? With those ratings I would expect to have to spend no more then maybe 5 minutes searching for any one stage; and I would be able to do it all from a wheelchair. If that's not the case I could see someone in a bad mood griping a bit.

First, even if inarticulately or not very nicely said, look at the remark and see if there is a reason for it that you can fix. Often a snide remark is made with a reason. Even if unpleasent to read, learning from it and addressing it can't hurt. Next just brush off the way the remark was made. Some people don't express concerns as well as others. But if the concern is valid, you will still want to address it. Some also just don't like certain caches, yet find and log them snidely anyway. It happens. There are all sorts of personality and writing types out there. The logs speak for themselves and if a local tends to be snide, for better or worse they will get a reputation for that. Maybe that is OK with them and maybe not, but that is their business and I would just let any personal hurt feelings go. No reason to let a bad log get you down. Just look and see if there is something to address and then carry on appropriately and be happy. :P

Edited by carleenp

Yeah well, right or not, it's out of line. (for you and me). Before I consider someone's criticism they have to show some intelligence, culture and tact. (Contrary to popular television).

Let it go, it'll happen again. No point in worrying about every a**hole living in this world.

Thanks so much you guys. Great help' We did set up the cache so that it would be easy. First part is just right under the bench and several people have found it already. Yes it could be done by someone in a wheel chair. We went down right away and checked to see if the first clue was there. It was and right under the seat part of the log where the last cacher left it. Just so you will understand our feeling better we have even had nasty emails sent to us by this person critizing us for the way we geocache so this is not the first time. I could change the rateings but this was set up for little kids to do and we would not want to discourage any familys. Again thanks for all the great information. Ron

Sounds like you should def let it slide then, Ron.

I've had a few of those "easy ones" stump me. One, after looking for at least 30 minutes, I logged a DNF. The owner ran right out and assured me it was there. After returning a few days later I spotted the cache in 15 seconds. I SWEAR it wasn't there when I looked the first time!

Me thinks the shame they feel when they DO find how easy yours is will be worth ignoring the snide remarks now. BTW, after looking at the hint, it's obvious where it is.

Sounds like you should def let it slide then, Ron.

I've had a few of those "easy ones" stump me. One, after looking for at least 30 minutes, I logged a DNF. The owner ran right out and assured me it was there. After returning a few days later I spotted the cache in 15 seconds. I SWEAR it wasn't there when I looked the first time!

Me thinks the shame they feel when they DO find how easy yours is will be worth ignoring the snide remarks now. BTW, after looking at the hint, it's obvious where it is.

I had one just this weekend where I couldn't find it and then gave up fairly quick and went to an event where the owners were there. They got a kick out of my DNF! Boy did they have fun laughing at me a bit (I had fun too)! :P I went back after the event with a hint and my friend found it in about 30 seconds. I had checked the place the first time but didn't try quite enough (it was inside something that needed a harder pull than I gave it first time around) . Such is life! Of course l found it all fun though and it made the log more fun! :P Sometimes others get frustrated though.

Well, hello neighbour! Welcome to the forums!

I get down a bit sometimes with the way some people act, too. But then I realize that with the sheer volume of people from all over that geocache, you're bound to get all types. It's actually a pleasant suprise that the majority of them are actually fun, nice people to get to know. :P Thinking about that helps me when I come across people who aren't as nice.

The one cache of yours that I went to was great, and I know that the geocaching community appreciates you. :P

Wildhorse folks 

Posted: Jun 20 2005, 08:16 PM

Thanks so much you guys. Great help' We did set up the cache so that it would be easy. First part is just right under the bench and several people have found it already. Yes it could be done by someone in a wheel chair. We went down right away and checked to see if the first clue was there. It was and right under the seat part of the log where the last cacher left it. Just so you will understand our feeling better we have even had nasty emails sent to us by this person critizing us for the way we geocache so this is not the first time. I could change the rateings but this was set up for little kids to do and we would not want to discourage any familys. Again thanks for all the great information. Ron

I took the time to look this whole thing over...... I think you can just "consider the source," and be done with it. :lol:

You have to wonder about people, tho'.

I read the log and I agree, it's out of bounds. The sting comes from knowing how much time and effort you put into a cache and that how it is received by the caching community is the pay-off.

Logging such sophomoric drivel is...well...sophomoric. I do not validate tantrums from a child - in an adult it is particularly unattractive and deserves to be ignored. :lol:

(edited for spelling)

Edited by ATMouse

Being rude is one thing. But letting a cacher know what the overall opinion is of their cache is another. We had a couple of recent caches - placed by the same person - that their cache items were all cut-out copies of "zeroxed" things. Both caches were regular size (one was even larger then most); thus, the caches could have easily supported typical trade items. In our group, the kids are the ones who do the trading, so this was a bit of a dissapointment to them. We left a subtle note implying as much, something along the lines of -"the kids were alittle disappointed to open up such a big treasure chest, only to find "zeroxed" gold"? If the cacher who placed the caches didn't want to spend a little extra stocking his cache in the first place, then why not list it as a micro to begin with? So should we have even said anything or just kept our mouths shut?

Edited by ZillahBillies
Yeah well, right or not, it's out of line. (for you and me). Before I consider someone's criticism they have to show some intelligence, culture and tact. (Contrary to popular television).

Huzzah!

I agree entirely. I will even say that outright insults, as well as criticisms, should show some level of care in crafting the jab. I admire people who respect the intended audience enough to carefully word their comments. I suspect a lot of posters on the internet get a little testy, and post without pausing to read what they actually have written, instead of what they believe they wrote. I am certain I have done that in the past myself.

If someone posted a note critical of one of my caches, and it was true, I would have no problem with it at all, and try and correct the problem. I spent some time reading the logs for my caches, but couldn't find a note that was out of line. I think cachers in New England must be nicer folks than those in other areas. (Insert smiley here.)

One cacher did leave this in a Found It log

You evil, evil, evil bastard.

Which does not bother me at all because people say it is true, but I think I only deserved a rating of one "evil". Some people even give me a rating of zero "evil", and skip directly to the "bastard". Anyone is welcome to flatter me all they want.

This recent post really made me smile because the cache was specifically placed for kids, and I keep it well stocked with kid stuff.

This was our first cache! The kids loved finding it! Thank you!

Those kinds of posts are why I place caches in the first place, and will help me ignore posts by critical dolts that are bound to come my way.

We had a guy fail to find one of our caches in a public park. He felt it was important to point out to us that the location was in his eyes inappropriate and to futher go so far to link AND quote the placement guidlines on the subject.

I have no problem with someone expressing their opinions about these things in private, but by posting them in a note (not even having the guts to DNF) just makes them look silly to the cachers who loved the cache.

Wulf

let it go-the

smashed word broken

open vow or

the oath cracked length

wise-let it go it

was sworn to

go

let them go-the

truthful liars and

the false fair friends

and the boths and

neithers-you must let them go they

were born

to go

let all go-the

big small middling

tall bigger really

the biggest and all

things-let all go

dear

so comes love

e.e. cummings

We wanted to get some feedback about people who log caches finds or no finds with snide.nasty remarks.

Hi there.. we haven't been caching long, but I don't think I've ever seen anything really snide or nasty in a log (except for 1 this past Fathers Day that we found, some stoners had found the log book and written lots of nasties in it!)

We posted a note in the log that the cache was in terrible shape, It had been completely ruined by water and people who had stumbled upon it accidently. Nothing snide, but we wanted to let the owner know.

Now I'm wondering, what do you consider snide?? When you find a cache in bad shape do you consider it snide or nasty to tell the owner so?

~Liss

Again we thank all of the answers and will sure pay attention to the advise given. We have found several caches that were in really bad shape. I sure would not concider it out of line to let the owner know that the cache needed some help. We found many this winter in Arizona that were soaked and in bad shape with all the rain last winter. I fixed what I could and made a nice note to the owner when we loged the find. Good question tho (what is snide) I guess something said to hurt and make someone feel bad is the way we think of it. You do the work to set up a nice cache and then get the bad feeling that comes when someone leaves a negative type post. You guys are great. Thanks Ron

I think all areas has their own person who makes you realize just why abortion is legal. We have a fellow in this area who is hung up over micros yet he continues to log them and post snide remarks about them. I usually get my laugh in a log following his. One such log is: "We hear ya and hear ya and hear ya. When's the subscription over cause I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of the issues. Yet another quick and easy find while working in the area. Thanks for a quick smiley."

At least it gives the cache owner and some area cachers a good laugh.

One cacher did leave this in a Found It log
You evil, evil, evil bastard.

Which does not bother me at all because people say it is true, but I think I only deserved a rating of one "evil". Some people even give me a rating of zero "evil", and skip directly to the "bastard". Anyone is welcome to flatter me all they want.

YES! That, dear sir, is AWESOME.

It's possible that the cacher couldn't find the cache and was trying to be cute, failed but tried. I have a very dry sense of humor and lots of times my wife and kids think I am being angry when I am trying to be funny.

Or maybe the guy is just a jerk.

Either way blow it off and enjoy the comments from cache finders that like the cache.