Benchmarks In Canada

QC_hiker

Oh goody! I hope they are every bit as exciting as the US Benchmarks.

:P

I guess I will find 'one' and unless I'm really bored.... that'll be about it LOL.

:blink: The Blue Quasar

Ah c'mon BQ!! It's the thrill of the hunt isn't it? :P

All kidding aside, I'm betting there are numerous that will be quite challenging to find. I tried a few two years ago and purposely chose ones that were in wooded areas near hiking trails. Can you imagine trying to find the brass thingy that was placed in 1932 and had not been visited since 1957? We may have to take Murfster's lead and utilize a metal detector. :P

I do agree with you though that a lot of them will be quite boring to find somewhat like a few caches I've found.

Cheers, Olar

I tried a few two years ago and purposely chose ones that were in wooded areas near hiking trails. Can you imagine trying to find the brass thingy that was placed in 1932 and had not been visited since 1957?

So did you find any? You were probably looking for the same ones I was and I struck out. :lol: I get enough DNFs searching for regular caches! :lol:

I tried a few two years ago and purposely chose ones that were in wooded areas near hiking trails. Can you imagine trying to find the brass thingy that was placed in 1932 and had not been visited since 1957?

So did you find any? You were probably looking for the same ones I was and I struck out. :huh: I get enough DNFs searching for regular caches! :huh:

Checked my old files. Looks like I had the coords for 22 of them. The day I went out I tried four that are up above Kelso Lake in Milton. One I found (693608) was on the side of a road in the ditch. It was quite easy as it was up out of the ground about two feet. Number 11305xx is probably gone as the coords are in the middle of a stone quarry. 773085 is just off the Bruce Trail and all I found was a steel post with markings on it at the published coords. I poked around and down about 6 inches but no luck. Another on the Bruce, 613508, took me to a pile of medium size rocks. No luck with that one either.

Having Canadian Benchmarks organized by gc.com will give us something to do on rainy days so to speak just like when we get the odd urge to do a virtual or locationless occasionally. I like the idea of using them as a stage or two of a multicache like the one Murfster talked about. At least you wouldn't have to worry about it disappearing like some micros that have a tendency to.

Cheers, Olar

773085 is just off the Bruce Trail and all I found was a steel post with markings on it at the published coords.  I poked around and down about 6 inches but no luck.  Another on the Bruce, 613508, took me to a pile of medium size rocks.  No luck with that one either.

You may have found them :huh:. For connoisseurs of benchmarks in Canada the "Historical general instructions of the Surveyor General" make interesting reading. Early benchmarks were often marked trees, mounds of earth, stone etc. For example:

11. IRON POST IN STONE MOUND (1913-1915)

" On rocky ground where the iron post cannot be

driven in, the stone mound should be so built that the post

stands in the centre of the mound."

Shortly after I started geocaching and finding all the caches close to home by bicycle, I started hunting for nearby benchmarks, just as a destination for a bike ride. I found it to be very enjoyable as there can be some sleuthing involved in finding them. The co-ordinates posted are sometimes way off and you have to hunt by the description given. I've found them in building foundations, bridges, near a Mennonite cemetary and along roadways. Many have vanished over the years due to construction of buildings and new roads, so each hunt may not be successful. I'm looking forward to being able to log Canadian benchmarks, and since I didn't record any of my earlier findings, I'll be starting all over again! :huh:

all becnhmarks in Canada are very easy to find, provided you get a list (report) as to where they are once i do a search of the database. and provided they still exist. Most of them do

I did and got rewarded with a very extensive list of benchmarks in my immediate area of Canada, but those were the parameters i had chosen thouh

we can discuss on how to get the if you are interested

e-mail me and i'll try to help you out

Clément

I am new to the geocaching sport. I studied surveying for three years and worked across Canada, back in the 70's and 80's.

Interesting to see the references to geodetic survey markers. I have seen many across the country.

Some of the survey markers that I have come across over the years are:

4x4 post with a point on top

rock pile, top rock being the point

cut crosses in stone or in sidewalks

Across the priaries we used the top of microwave towers as references.

A friend recently travelled to the Torngat Mountains in Labrador and on top of old smoky was a geodetic marker...

My son has discovered how much fun it is to know exactly where you are and where you are going.

Good luck all in finding the markers.

There will be an option soon for benchmarks in Canada.

The Option has arrived. Time for someone to step up to the plate and propose the category - it will get my vote. And while we're at it this may be time to revive the Tim Hortons project :)

The Tim Hortons project is a perfect idea. Someone should propose to manage that category.

There will be an option soon for benchmarks in Canada.

The Option has arrived. Time for someone to step up to the plate and propose the category - it will get my vote. And while we're at it this may be time to revive the Tim Hortons project :P

The Tim Hortons project is a perfect idea. Someone should propose to manage that category.

This is great! having the Timmies project set up would certainly help my Travel Bug along!!

The Timmies Project TB

Some cachers have started putting virtuals or multis at the survey markers. I think that's a good idea to tide us over until there is a Canadian section for the markers.

:laughing: That seems to be okay for now, but a Canadian benchmarking section would be nice. Maybe a category for Waymarking or virtual Geocaching?