Aviation Related Caches And Fellow Pilots?

I fly an old C182 out of HLG and have used the plane for many fun caching days. For transportation from the airports, I cut an old 24" bike apart and made it so that I can pin it back together.

I even did one, "Starve Island", in lake Erie where I had to fly into Put-In-Bay airport and sneak down to the lake with my inflatable kayak and paddle over to another little island to get to the cache. I also landed at Kelleys Island right next to Put-In-Bay and did 3 caches there the same day.

Any time you can mix flying and caching together it will be a fun day!!!!

Skyraider.

Alot of my cache finds in other countries then where I live are because I have flown there. I have only hidden on cache from where I landed. Foggy Hilltop was placed after we shot an approach into Cluj, Romania and had to do a go around. The fog was to thick so we landed on top of a hill a little ways from the airport. I placed a cache where we landed. I think flying is a great way to see other countries, and logging finds. I know there was a thread about posting caches near airports. Here is the tread

Oh, I fly UH-60 Helicopters

Sorry to say I sold my last airplane, a Piper Archer about 15 years ago. I was getting to the age (now 80) that I felt maybe I should be doing my traveling on the ground. Made five trips to Alaska and several back to Illinois from our home here in Bremerton Washington. Camped out in some of the smaller airports. Would have been wonderful if there had been a cache there. There are several small airports here in Washington that have caches within walking distance. There is one near the airport in Forks but you do have to climb a hill to get to it. My whole family are pilots. My son Tom is a captain on a 747-400 for Atlas Air and lives in Alaska where he flies a super cub for fun. Sure miss flying and it would be great to fly across country and stop at little airports and look for caches. Dick, W7WT

I fly single-engine Cessnas and the Piper Cherokee 180 our aviation club has at an airfield south of Cedar Rapids, IA. We've used one of the planes on occasion to Geocache. Pilot courtesy vehicles are sometimes available at airports we visit. A plane ride makes for a great Travel Bug log as well.

We've also been to Kelly's Island and cached as told in a previous log. We were on a vacation motorcycle trip around Lake Erie at the time.

Tim of Timber&Bear

We have a '63 Beech Musketeer and fly out of Scappoose OR, near Portland. DH is the pilot (officially) but I fly and often navigate (though with the GPS it's not quite as important). Right now our plane is grounded, but we hope to have it back in the air by summer of 06. We should be cache experts by then. :lol:

I was actually talking to him about this - we belong to a flying club and I though it would be a total hoot to create an air tour for caching. Every other year the club does an air tour through the northwest anyway, and most of us have GPS units (albeit, some are permanently mounted)...but perhaps next year we will include this with our typical tour.

I was a Metro Nashville cop assigned to their aviation section (hence the handle)...now I'm back on active duty Army working as a Counterdrug Aviation pilot. So I travel quite a bit...

I'm trying to find a way to incorporate the myriad FBOs into caches, but I keep running into snags such as finding the right person to talk to and the fact that I can't actually maintain the caches.

But I'm not giving up. Hell, I might post my first one tomorrow.

OK, so how many of you fly and do you hide caches near or at airports? (For those flying in to rural airports without transportation other than their feet)

Are there any policies / preferences I should be aware of?

I must've missed this topic when it was first posted. Sorry about that. The OP asked if there were any policies to be aware of. Please note that the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines specifically cover airports in the list of areas that are off-limits for the placement of traditional caches. This includes not only the airport property, but also the immediate surrounding area. It is best to find a park, etc., that is a half mile away from the airport.

I worked as a pilot for a few years. 9-11 and the generally dismal available-pilot/available-job ratio led me to seek work outside of avaition. I haven't flown since but my wife and I have been talking about buying or building a plane of our own at some point in the future. One of the reasons we'd like access to a plane again is so we could seek caches that are farther away.

Please note that the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines specifically cover airports in the list of areas that are off-limits for the placement of traditional caches.

I visted one today that was on an airport property. Small airport, and it's apparently there with the airport manager's approval.

:unsure: I fly a lot on regular carriers. I get to the airport in the early hours of the morning and late at night. Even on hot afternoons in Phoenix, the local police are using their dogs to find stuff at the airport. The security is tight even though you may not recognize it. I do not recommend putting caches at any airport regardless if it is at a major hub or rural location due to security issues.

Putting a cache out there could endanger the sport, people that follow it, and in a sense, national security.

I think that the best thing you could do is to search using the zip code of the airport you plan on visiting and look for the nearest caches. I work in the aviation law enforcement field and let me tell you the first call that we get for someone snooping around the fence or parking lot with a GPS would be the last. Some folks are "keyed up" when they travel and if they see something that does not sit well with them they come running. The greeting you get may not be that plesant. Groundspeak has developed some very fine rules to keep everyone safe. There are some virtual aviation related caches that a pilot could log as well as many benchmarks such as the tower beacon or ILS antenna. Just be careful and play by all the rules (Groundspeak and FAR's)

I will hopefully be placing a cache near a small airport soon (with the manager's approval, of course) with an aviation theme. It should be pretty cool.

For those that might be interested in an introductory flight at a local airport, check out www.beapilot.com/ For $49, participating flight schools will take you up for a flight where YOU do most of the flying! It's a great, inexpensive way to see if you might like it. FWIW, I am in no way associated with this organization. I am just a geocacher that used the services, got hooked and am now a geocaching pilot.

OK, so how many of you fly and do you hide caches near or at airports? (For those flying in to rural airports without transportation other than their feet)

My husband and I just got our Sport Pilot licenses! :( So now we can talk about going out for the "hundred-dollar cache"! As for geocaches near airports, the only one I've seen so far was on an abandoned airfield.

However, I am thinking of asking permission to put one on the other side of the street from our local airport, perhaps with the stipulation that it be visited during daylight hours only. We'll see what happens!

Jodie

P.S. Is this the only post relating to geocaching aviators? Are there really that few of us?

My husband and I just got our Sport Pilot licenses! :( So now we can talk about going out for the "hundred-dollar cache"! As for geocaches near airports, the only one I've seen so far was on an abandoned airfield.

However, I am thinking of asking permission to put one on the other side of the street from our local airport, perhaps with the stipulation that it be visited during daylight hours only. We'll see what happens!

Jodie

P.S. Is this the only post relating to geocaching aviators? Are there really that few of us?

There is a thread around here somewhere that has a link to a bookmark which contains a long list of caches near airports. That includes a virtual cache that I found in Frankfurt that is *in* the terminal. Read the guidelines about caches near airports. You've got to take extra care to make sure there are no homeland security issues. Stipulating that be visited only during daylight hours isn't enough. Unfortunately some will still ignore the request and some my look for the cache without reading the listing first.

Jodie

There is a thread around here somewhere that has a link to a bookmark which contains a long list of caches near airports. That includes a virtual cache that I found in Frankfurt that is *in* the terminal. Read the guidelines about caches near airports. You've got to take extra care to make sure there are no homeland security issues. Stipulating that be visited only during daylight hours isn't enough. Unfortunately some will still ignore the request and some my look for the cache without reading the listing first.

Some airport caches that flew into turbulence:

GC4D38

Log from November 1, 2004: "The Los Angeles International Airport Police, in whose custody I just spent the last four hours..."

GCG1N6

Archival note of June 27, 2003: "I was contacted by the Phoenix Police at the airport..."

GC6FB1

Archival note from June 24, 2003: "It was removed by the bomb squad as a possible security threat to the Airport near by."