Law & Order Tonight!!

Team Shibby

Thanks for the reminder. The main thread is here and there's also a separate thread active in the general forum for those who wish to debate whether such TV exposure is a good thing or a bad thing. To keep the number of threads manageable, I am closing this duplicate.

I have re-opened this topic, now that the Law and Order episode is airing. A buried cache in Harriman State Park is featured in the plot line, and the geocacher who found it is looking like the prime suspect for a murder (or the person being "framed" as the murderer).

Please limit discussion in this thread to those issues specific to the fact that Harriman State Park is involved in the plot.

Edited by Keystone Approver

BLECK! Now i realize I why don't watch the the show. Anyway, I believe that burying a cache, with a shovel, is against geocaching policy. I think the episode may significanly hurt he opinion of Geocaching in a park system which appears to already think we are destroying the environment. Very poor timing and portrayal of caching.

Before anyone bothers looking, there is no cache called "Footbridge" in Harriman.

PS- I'm scared that they can now track me through my GPS "TRANSCEIVER" TRANSmitter / reCEIVER. I guess they didn't look into the technology too much. Anyway, the exposure was kinda cool.

Well, if the Harriman rangers think that L&O is "real life", I think we need to be more concerned about that and not that a cache might be buried.

I flipped to the show for a second and caught a scene in a police station with Harriman and geocaching being mentioned. I'll watch it tomorrow night.

Did they happen to show scenes of Harriman?

Well, if the Harriman rangers think that L&O is "real life", I think we need to be more concerned about that and not that a cache might be buried.

I flipped to the show for a second and caught a scene in a police station with Harriman and geocaching being mentioned. I'll watch it tomorrow night.

They showed a "cache site" not sure if it was really harriman.

They showed a "cache site" not sure if it was really harriman.

It may or may not have actually been in Harriman, but the terrain was typical of the park (at least they got THAT right).

I thought the butler did it. :blink:

Atleast it didnt portray cachers as a bunch of wierdos that covet small plastic toys. :unsure:

Avroair is correct, other than showing the website on tv it didnt really help establish the game/sport/hobby as a world wide phenomenon.

I actually wouldn't mind keeping it that way. Some exposure would help keep the pesky park rangers off our backs.

Plus, If someone ever buries a cache I am looking for, we are gonna have words.

Jerseytrex

Not to get on my "we need a lobby" kick again, but...we need a lobby. While we're being protrayed as litterers and park damagers, the mountain biking association I belong to (IMBA) has just secured expanded trail use opportunities on NPS lands.

IMBA spends a great deal of time educating the parks and land owners. They donate time to help with trail building and money to help participate in securing natural lands for recreational use. They also have a trail patrol service that watches for abuse and helps hikers, bikers or others in need of assistance on the trails with first aid, directions or park information. While I know many geocachers aren't too fond of mountain bikers, they are working much harder than we are to promote a good image and self regulate their members.

We remain essentially invisible until someone "discovers" us and unfortunately, in the case of a land manager previously unaware that multiple caches have been placed on their property, the reaction is usually negative. We could do a LOT better.

Weird thins I noticed:

1. They didn't sign the log book.

2. No rocky crevices

3. The cache in question was south of Seven Lakes Drive and west of Tioratti Circle which puts it in Cache Ninja territory, yet the detectives were able to read the description in plain english.

4. Floopy hadn't already logged the cache.

5. She had receipts for parking in Harriman. How do you get that? Parking in that area is free and usually alongside the road.

Not to get on my "we need a lobby" kick again, but...we need a lobby. While we're being protrayed as litterers and park damagers, the mountain biking association I belong to (IMBA) has just secured expanded trail use opportunities on NPS lands.

IMBA spends a great deal of time educating the parks and land owners. They donate time to help with trail building and money to help participate in securing natural lands for recreational use. They also have a trail patrol service that watches for abuse and helps hikers, bikers or others in need of assistance on the trails with first aid, directions or park information. While I know many geocachers aren't too fond of mountain bikers, they are working much harder than we are to promote a good image and self regulate their members.

We remain essentially invisible until someone "discovers" us and unfortunately, in the case of a land manager previously unaware that multiple caches have been placed on their property, the reaction is usually negative. We could do a LOT better.

Are you coming on Wednesday Kevin. :unsure:NNJ Geocachers Group meeting

(Sorry it kinda off topic KA, but it is tangental).

4. Floopy hadn't already logged the cache.

That solves it. It wasn't a geocache. Couldn't have been if Floopy hadn't been there!

5. She had receipts for parking in Harriman. How do you get that? Parking in that area is free and usually alongside the road.

On a serious note, parking is NOT usually free. it is $6 at the booths if you happen to have a park ranger there. And parking along the roadside is prohibited in Harriman (although people do it all the time). :)

They should have had the cast find a 14 stage multi rather than a traditional! :unsure: I missed the end, Rose wanted to watch Desperate Housewives... was he caught?

What was the deal with the body still laying uncovered, on the sidewalk the day after the murder? And the people were passing by in the background as if there was nothing going on. I know New Yorkers are a jaded, "I've seen it all" bunch, but you'd think at least a few of tourists would have gathered around to gawk.

What was the deal with the body still laying uncovered, on the sidewalk the day after the murder? And the people were passing by in the background as if there was nothing going on. I know New Yorkers are a jaded, "I've seen it all" bunch, but you'd think at least a few of tourists would have gathered around to gawk.

All the cachers had not logged the crime scene as an event cache so they kept it "open"

-OR-

Brian and Mark et:al were still drinking at the bar so the event was still in progress.

It seems that the cache in question was near Anthony Wayne -- funny how everyone hiked in dressed all casual and the like.

I have been all over Harriman, and I have never seen a bridge like the one described.

My wife (who doesn't quite understand the obsession) just laughed at me as I am shaking my head . . . .

It seems that the cache in question was near Anthony Wayne -- funny how everyone hiked in dressed all casual and the like.

I have been all over Harriman, and I have never seen a bridge like the one described.

My wife (who doesn't quite understand the obsession) just laughed at me as I am shaking my head . . . .

HAHA! Yep, as I was freaking out by how poorly they portrayed geocaching, all my wife could do was roll her eyes. She's gotten used to doing that. However, today she did come caching with me AND it's our 7 year anniversary too! That was my present. :mad:

.. Now, maybe if the killer hacked up his victim and placed body parts in various caches, that would've kept our interest! ...

I remember a couple years ago, someone put a prosthetic forearm in a cache. Anyone else remember that? There was a picture with the log too. It was pretty bizarre.

I'm not sure if the guy that took it traded evenly, I mean what would you leave for that? :lol:

As for the L&O:CI, it was exactly what I expected. After all it is a story about crime investigation, not geocaching. I can't believe how upset everyone is about it. It pretty funny, the same people in the main forum that are wigging out about the portrayal of geocaching, completely butched the stories plot and characters. What's worse?

When it comes to Geocaching, you either get it or you don't. No point in trying to teach a pig sing.

Also, for the record, The Family Guy is a much better choice for you Sunday night viewing. Choose wisely next weekend. ;)