Cache Cash Outlay

MOphoto

In the process of putting together my first cache I've come up with a question. I will have about $50 spent on this cache. That includes container (ammo box), a Travel Bug, log book, and all the assorted swag to fill it. I don't feel I've gone overboard on the goodies, but it has added up to a little more than I had anticipated.

What is the average amount you've spent on a normal size cache? I know some put in really cool, and occaisionally expensive, FTF items. I'm not really talking about that, but the normal, everyday trade items you fill your box with. Am I in the ballpark for average? a skinflint who is worrying too much over the cost? Or have I done too much for a hide that I'm sure will deteriorate in time to McStuff, and rocks and other assorted items?

At $50 I'd say you're over the average BUT hopefully this will inspire others to not only trade fairly but to put out other caches like it (good stuff).

So....hope for the best, lead by example, but don't be surprised if it does deteriorate.

And let me be the first to say thanks for putting out a high quality cache.

On "special" caches I have put in quite a bit of money. For the "average" cache it is hard to say since I tend to buy things when I see them and pile them up for future caches. I would guess around $10-20. I have started checking dollar sections of stores all the time for trade items and cache stocking items. Sometimes it is junk and I don't buy, but other times I have gotten cool stuff. Because of that I have a ready supply now of items. For containers, a 6 pack of .30 cal ammos cans is $18 from cheaper than dirt and I have occasionaly bought lock-n-locks on sale. I get note books and pencils at the dollar store.

I've just placed 12 caches for an upcoming event. All are in ammo boxes (about $3-$4 each on eBay). They contain 6-8 goodies, none of which cost more than $2, although none came free with cereal either.

My total spend on the event so far has been just over $400 (excluding gas money and phones, etc). About $140 of that was spent on clue and puzzle components, prizes for the event, etc, but the rest, say $270, went on the caches. So perhaps a little over $22 each. Hey, that's less than I thought - but anything times 12 adds up!

Here's a tip for cheap goodies: get to Claire's Accessories and look for either (a) a clearance stand, perhaps at the back of the store, where they price items which were previously $4-$5 down as low as 25 cents; or (<_< their "surprise bags", where you get five or six items for a buck. This stuff makes your caches look "family-friendly" and generally pretty, for very little money.

And another tip to keep your cache neat: pack the log book, pencil, etc in a plastic VHS cassette box. The pencil just pokes holes in a Ziploc.

Here's a tip for cheap goodies: get to Claire's Accessories and look for either (a) a clearance stand, perhaps at the back of the store, where they price items which were previously $4-$5 down as low as 25 cents; or (<_< their "surprise bags", where you get five or six items for a buck. This stuff makes your caches look "family-friendly" and generally pretty, for very little money.

And another tip to keep your cache neat: pack the log book, pencil, etc in a plastic VHS cassette box. The pencil just pokes holes in a Ziploc.

I will be sure to check Claire's next time I am at the mall! I like to pick up a mix of boy and girl kid items and then add a few adult items like levels or tools or fridge magnets etc. Claire's would be great for the girls. I notice that necklaces and such tend to get traded out quick. I recently got some cute nail polish sets and other items at the Target dollar aisle and thought it would be a good place to regularly check when I am in the store.

I like the VHS box suggestion. I might try that!

I have and will continue to place caches that have nothing but a log and I have also spent 80 bucks on a cache that has yet to be placed just to get it ready to place. Another cache is going to set me back about 400 out of pocket just to get it placed though not all of that will end up at the cache. It depends on what you want to do.

When I place the 400.00 one I predict that BadAndy will be FTF and will have spent 100.00 finding it just to keep a dollar trinket he will prize above all other treasures because he will apprecaite what kicked my muse into gear. <_<

Edited by Renegade Knight

Thanks for the replies so far. I find the reference to Claire's particularly interesting, as the cache I'm preparing is geared specifically to females. Since I routinely go caching with my 2 daughters, ages 6 and 8, I thought it would be a good idea to place one with trade items that would interest girls. Based on all the posts I've seen from single guys in the sport, maybe I'm doing future generations a favor by encouraging some female involvement!

Anyway, our booty so far consists of hair accessories, bath items, a "girlie" day planner, and various other sparkly, flowery, and frilly goodies.

1. Buy an ammo container at the surplus store ($5.00)or save all those plastic containers your used to throwing away (laundry soap, etc.) and find some pocket notebooks, usually in the dollar store, then remember to grab all the free pens and pencils at events/expos/conventions you come across.

2. Clean your house, clean off your desk, clean out your families junk drawer in the house; and fill up the container.

3. Hide cache full of goodies.

4. Cost: $10.00 maximum? :anicute:

I actually have held off placing more traditional caches because I want to be proud of the ones I put out, and money's tight at the moment. I have only 8 traditionals out, but spent $80 to $100 on each and spend maybe $25 a month restocking them.

It's strictly a personal thing with me - I hide easy-to-find family-friendly dry-boxes from Acadamy Sports in interesting places, and stock them with good stuff for both kids and adults.

I will tell you this - don't spend what you can't afford to lose! You will soon get frustrated! I have had two dissapear, and the ones that have stayed in place degraded to McToys in 90 days or less and have to be restocked.

You'll see a lot of stuff like "Trade fair or don't trade" on cache pages by folks hoping to keep the quality up, but the bottom line is, it won't work.

Stock nice stuff because you like to, not because you expect it of others!

Most of all, have fun,

Ed

1. Buy an ammo container at the surplus store ($5.00)or save all those plastic containers your used to throwing away (laundry soap, etc.) and find some pocket notebooks, usually in the dollar store, then remember to grab all the free pens and pencils at events/expos/conventions you come across.

2. Clean your house, clean off your desk, clean out your families junk drawer in the house; and fill up the container.

3. Hide cache full of goodies.

4. Cost: $10.00 maximum? :anicute:

Perfect. Thank you.

I tend to use things I have gotten from other caches, or I recycle cache containers. My caches have ranged from 10 dollars (small cheap containers with cheap toys) to 30 dollars (fully stocked ammo box with brand new trading items). I don't tend to rate caches on how much money was spent with them, but a broken cache with useless junk gives it a low rating.

One of my caches, Ghost Dance cost in the range of $100. I found the spot for this cache and knew I wanted a nice cache there so I searched for quality items to stock it with. The Main two items were a Native American style choker, hand made by myself out of bone and buffalo horn beads, brass beads, nickle beads and three jade beads, it contained $30.00 worth of material. The second nice item was a hand carved stone Zuni bear, $10.00. I then stocked the cache with Totem Stones I am very pleased with this cache the cache and location has gotten the reactions I hoped they would.

Another cache that required a 2 mile hike cost in the $50.00 range and was taken by a cache thief after only one find. I had always wanted to place a change exchange for old coins so it had about $30.00 worth of coins in it.

Many of my other caches have been placed for about $10 to $20.

My most recent cache was placed for about $3 Geocaching ROCKS(members only) Is a rock themed cache and I collected 90% of the contents myself. It was $3 if you don't count the cost of the trips to California, North Carolina, Utah and Arkansas.

After getting 4 new caches stolen in Shawnee National Forest I am not sure about putting out expensive caches again.

I am thrifty and I have been ruining across some really good deals on $3 to $10 items for around 25 cents. I bought 220 sunbeam personal mosquito repellers for 25 cents each, 200 1973 Elvis Fan Club tokens for 25 cents each, I got a few boxes of new, old stock, Baseball cards from the 1960s to 2000, I place 7 cards in a ziploc, total cost 13 cents per ziploc. I am getting ready to place a new cache "Thank You Betsey Ross" I have about 100 flag themed pins, buttons, magnets and bracelets, average 10 cent each. My two Signature Items, Golden Mouse & Spirit Stones, cost about 3 cent each but have great stories that make them great items.

The last two cache that I replaced for someone in Shawnee National Forest including a waterproof Lock n Lock type box and 8 trade items, log and pen cost about $1.50 each. Gas to place the caches $15.00 :blink:

If you are creative you can place a cache with $50.00 or more worth of trade items for very little cost to you. First, I make chainmail balls as my trademark item. These balls normally sell for $5.00. For a new cache I will often leave a chainmail pouch that normally sells for $20.00. Next, do a spring cleanup day at your house. We found a ton of stuff that we would normally try to get rid of at a yard sale that I plan to use to stock caches. Things like walkman radios, snow globes, costume jewelry, and small statues. All of these thing are better quality trade items that what two thirds of the cachers out there leave when they find a cache. Finally, keep your eyes open for deals on good trade items. If you see a store has a sale on compasses then you might pick up a couple to use to stock caches. If you use your head you can place a very good for very little cost.

One of my caches, Ghost Dance cost in the range of $100. I found the spot for this cache and knew I wanted a nice cache there so I searched for quality items to stock it with. The Main two items were a Native American style choker, hand made by myself out of bone and buffalo horn beads, brass beads, nickle beads and three jade beads, it contained $30.00 worth of material. The second nice item was a hand carved stone Zuni bear, $10.00. I then stocked the cache with Totem Stones I am very pleased with this cache the cache and location has gotten the reactions I hoped they would.

Another cache that required a 2 mile hike cost in the $50.00 range and was taken by a cache thief after only one find. I had always wanted to place a change exchange for old coins so it had about $30.00 worth of coins in it.

Many of my other caches have been placed for about $10 to $20.

My most recent cache was placed for about $3  Geocaching ROCKS(members only)  Is a rock themed cache and I collected 90% of the contents myself. It was $3 if you don't count the cost of the trips to California, North Carolina, Utah and Arkansas.

After getting 4 new caches stolen in Shawnee National Forest I am not sure about putting out expensive caches again.

I am thrifty and I have been ruining across some really good deals on $3 to $10 items for around 25 cents. I bought 220 sunbeam personal mosquito repellers for 25 cents each, 200 1973 Elvis Fan Club tokens for 25 cents each, I got a few boxes of new, old stock, Baseball cards from the 1960s to 2000, I place 7 cards in a ziploc, total cost 13 cents per ziploc. I am getting ready to place a new cache "Thank You Betsey Ross" I have about 100 flag themed  pins, buttons, magnets and bracelets, average 10 cent each. My two Signature Items, Golden Mouse & Spirit Stones, cost about 3 cent each but have great stories that make them great items.

The last two cache that I replaced for someone in Shawnee National Forest including a waterproof Lock n Lock type box and 8 trade items, log and pen cost about $1.50 each. Gas to place the caches $15.00 :)

;) And All Of The Fun You Had Doing All Of It : PRICELESS :)

The problem I see is there is somuch TNLNSL, it is almost dishearting to spend bug bucks on a cache. One I have, now it was a theme cache, I bet ther orgional itmes are in it. I don't know some time. Then as there is mentioned cache theives. Here at present we have a cache thief/destroyer so it is somewhat dishaerting to spend any thing on a cache that might be destroyed or stolen. One friend ahd spent about 30 bucks on a container and someone that couldnt get it open smashed it with a hammer destroying the lock mechanism and the container. So now I don't know. I have plans but i'll have to see.

cheers

In some respects, TNLNSL is a good thing. We are about to place three themed caches. In the past, cache owners have sometimes complained about other cachers not respecting and sticking with the themes of their caches. Actually, I'd rather have someone TNLNSL if they cannot/will not support the theme of the cache.

One of our themes cost us about $20, and the other two were over $50 each.

I'd say my cost usually ranges between $20 and-$30 for full sized caches, including the ammo box and between $5 and $15 for micro and small caches.

I have placed almost 120 caches so far so, shhhhhh, please don't tell my wife ;) .

I won't tell yours if you don't tell mine.

When you start hiding more and more caches you start to buy things in bulk. Check out ebay for large lots of swag. Also, oriental trading has some decent stuff. And don't underestimate Dollar Stores for certain things as well.

I think there are already too many caches full of crap nobody wants. Around here we have a guy who trades old golf balls that he finds in the woods. ;) He has more balls than I have. ;) And if I find one more McDonalds toy in a cache, I'm going to McBarf. :D

I try to put some thought into my caches:antenna: and I try to put similar effort into the trading items I start out with. My Boston Marathon caches all have (or at least had) running-related stuff in them. A cache I placed last Fall was tough enough that I put a twenty in there for FTF. A cache I'm working on now is going to be extremely difficult, and I'm seriously considering a $100 bill for the FTF.

I realize not everyone is this serious about their caches, and I have set out low-cost caches too, but lack of ready funds is no excuse for lame trading items, either from the cache owner or the finders. One of my favorite things to find in our area is little origami items. The cacher who puts these out has taken the trouble to learn the (simple yet graceful) skill of Japanese paper folding. It costs very little, and it's really cool. :D Plus s/he occasionally tucks a Where's George dollar inside the folded paper item.

Wish I'd thought of that!

I think there are already too many caches full of crap nobody wants. Around here we have a guy who trades old golf balls that he finds in the woods. ;) He has more balls than I have. ;) And if I find one more McDonalds toy in a cache, I'm going to McBarf. :D

I try to put some thought into my caches:antenna: and I try to put similar effort into the trading items I start out with. My Boston Marathon caches all have (or at least had) running-related stuff in them. A cache I placed last Fall was tough enough that I put a twenty in there for FTF. A cache I'm working on now is going to be extremely difficult, and I'm seriously considering a $100 bill for the FTF.

I realize not everyone is this serious about their caches, and I have set out low-cost caches too, but lack of ready funds is no excuse for lame trading items, either from the cache owner or the finders. One of my favorite things to find in our area is little origami items. The cacher who puts these out has taken the trouble to learn the (simple yet graceful) skill of Japanese paper folding. It costs very little, and it's really cool. :D Plus s/he occasionally tucks a Where's George dollar inside the folded paper item.

Wish I'd thought of that!

Amen, I've said it before and I will say it again, I'm so sick of McToys and plastic unicorns, yes I know this a family activity, but I now have a hard time getting my 7yr old to go because she is sick of "cheap toys" If I want a McToy that bad I'll go to Mcdonalds and get a happy meal, at least that way I get the burger and fries. :)

I don't know about all that...

For me, a cache isn't about what type of pricey goodies I can pick up, it's about the location. Where your bringing me in the first place and why its cool or important.

As far as I'm considered, the cache swag is a bonus to help convince my 3 year old she likes to go caching B) So the McCrap is good for us!

Crystal

For our family - it's all about the hunt... the going out and about on a nice day... getting away from the TV and the video games. So it doesn't matter what is in the cache. Yes, we've picked up a few toy cars, a pretty rock, a marble and sometimes, we don't take anything at all, but always try to leave a little something. My pre-teen sons just enjoy going out on an adventure with their ol' mom! There can't be a better "prize" than that! :laughing:

When I started geocaching I kept my eyes out for 1-3$ items everywhere I went. And I have to say I had some nice stuff for trading, just look for the red cleance tags at wal-mart or the yellow ones at lowes, you can get some nice stuff for little $$$$$ if you really look. However, now my swag bag is full of mctoys and other crap from trading, so I am considering just TNLNSL from now on.