New To The Hunt Gps Question

Redmond Family

Hello all,

I am sorry if this has been asked in the past but I couldn't find it so I thought I would ask. We are new to Geocaching, we have found 4 caches just because we knew the area and they were really easy finds with the hints etc. but we have a question and we were hoping some of you would show us the way.

We do not own a GPS yet. we really want to buy one but we are concerned that because we are so new that we would just be throwing away money on a poor choice. That brings us to this... if you could start all over again would you go for broke on your first GPS? or buy old and upgrade later?

I have heard nothing but good things about the Garmin 60cs and we have looked at it and we really like the features but are we justified in spending that much on our first GPS? we want to know if it is a good solid purchase? we will be using it alot with some of our other hobbies and we have been looking for a while at getting a GPS we just don't know if we should spend so much for our first one.

My personal thoughts are that I would get alot of use out of it and not need to upgrade in less then a year. if we went with a cheaper one would we outgrow it soon and want to upgrade anyway?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appericated.

Thanks for the Adventure,

The Redmond's

I don't think you can throw your money away on a poor choice as long as you stick to one of the big 2 (Garmin & Magellan). More money only gets you more features, not much in additional accuracy , so if your only planned use for the GPS is for geocaching, an $89 yellow eTrex will do the job and do it well.

Personally, I started with an eTrex Legend and it served me well for about a year. I upgraded to a Vista only because I had the extra money at the time and to a 60CS because my wife accidently broke my Vista (which I've since had fixed) and felt guilty and bought me the 60CS.

The 60CS is a very nice GPS and I'm extremely happy with it, but things like the color screen, auto routing and geocaching mode are all nice things to have, but not necessitys for me. They may be for you and if they are it would be an excellent choice.

You're going to have to figure out for yourself what features you need, which ones you would like and and which ones are unimportant. Don't pay extra for features that are unimportant to you. If the color screen and 56 megs of memory in a 60CS aren't important to you, you can save some money by going with a Map 60, or if auto routing is not important, an eTrex Vista, or Legend may do the job.

If you travel often lot and widely, you would want a GPS with more memory, so a 60CS or 76CS might be a good choice, but on the other hand if you're going to mostly geocache locally maybe an eTrex Legend with only 8 megs of memory would be sufficient.

Also remember that a mapping GPS is only really useful if you buy the mapping software ($100 - $140 additonal). If you aren't going to purchase the software, it doesn't make sense to buy a unit that has a ton of map storage, auto routing etc...

Edited by briansnat

It is a matter of what to spend for lots of people. If you can afford it, go for it. I have heard nothing negative about the 60CS and have lots of positives. It is the one I drool over. You can't go wrong with that one.

I have two Garmins: Emap and Etrex Legend. It is nice to have two. One stays in the car attached to the cigarette lighter power cord. The Legend goes with me to the cache. The Emap is easier to see while driving. The Legend has a Navigate screen that I like.

if you could start all over again would you go for broke on your first GPS? or buy old and upgrade later?

I would not spend to much on my first gps, but I also would not buy a old one.

My first gps wa a Garmin Legend and I have been very happy with it.

If I was starting all over again I would pick the Legend again. Still a great gps, but even cheaper then what I paid for it last May.

Get something new, but not something that is going make you go broke.

If you do want to upgrade down the road you can always keep it as a back up unit or sell it here in the forum or on ebay.

My advice is to reach a bit for the best model you can afford. Even if you lose interest in geocaching (yeah, it happens), you state that you have other outdoor hobbies where a GPS would be useful. Heck, with an autorouting unit, it's useful each time you're driving the car in an unfamiliar area.

When I started in June 2002, the Garmin V was the top of the line. I decided to buy that, I've found more than 1000 caches with it, and I've never regretted it. Nor have I felt the need to upgrade, even though it's not quite top of the line anymore. It's still pretty close. You would likely feel the same way about a 60CS in three years.

Others decide to buy a "starter unit" first, and then upgrade later once they're hooked. That is fine, too. You would then have a backup unit to use when hunting with a group, sharing with a newbie, etc.

Like Brian said, you really can't go wrong with any current model Garmin or Magellan. Just buy something and find some more caches already. Have fun.

Well, in my opinion the "big THREE" GPS manufacturer players on the market are Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance :blink:

Check them out. Lowrance puts to market some very powerful and innovative GPSr receivers. Their iFinder Basic is one of the cheapest mapping units on the market today, yet still supports upgrading & expansion via memory card support. The iFinder Map&Music not only incorporates an MP3 player (which is probably not important to a Geocacher), but it also supports voice recording. So once at a cache site you can TALK into the unit to record your thoughts & information about the cache, that can be later played back when you're logging your find.

If auto-routing naviagation is important to you, their iWay 100m is the ONLY handheld GPSr on the market that is capable of guiding your trip with VOICE command turn-by-turn instructions, yet is robust enough to be used outdoors.

Give Lowrance a look-see, you won't be dissapointed :lol:

As others have stated, you do not need much for geocaching. I started out with a Garmin e-trex (Yellow). I then went to a Magellan meridian gold for the map display, do I need a map display No, I could print out paper maps with my TOPO

National Geographic software that is better than any topo map made by Magellan or Garmin. Now that I am cacing furthur from home the auto routing offerd with Magellan Direct route saves me lots of time in cities I am not familar with.

Make a list of all the features that are offerd, then look at each feature and decide if you really must have that feature.

For myself, I have no need for a megnetic compass in a GPS, for what they add to the price of a GPS you can a real compass for a lot less. Brunton, Suunto and Silva all make a good product.

I do not have a need for and altimeter in a GPS, it is not really much help in finding a cache.

A color screen is something else that I do not see a real need for unless you are thinking of resale value in the future.

If you can live without the bulit in Magnetic Compass, Altimieter and color screen you will save quite a bit of money that you may want to put toward mapping software or other things you are going to need.

you can find caches with a geko 101 or a 60cs just as well. One is the VW the ohter a BMW. I think the 60CS is more of a status symbol. Yes it is nice but you can do just as good a job with a Etrax. I would get a Etrax Yellow, and a PDA, POCKET PC. You will be able to upload gpx files to the PDA and Yellow and your be set. If you have old eyes then a 76 has a bigger screen. But do you need mapping capabilites NO. I would make sure what ever you get it can contect to you PC so you can load waypoints.

cheers

. I would get a Etrax Yellow, and a PDA, POCKET PC. You will be able to upload gpx files to the PDA and Yellow and your be set. If you have old eyes then a 76 has a bigger screen. But do you need mapping capabilites NO. I would make sure what ever you get it can contect to you PC so you can load waypoints.

Though the yellow eTrex will do the job, once you add in the cost of the PC cable, you can get an eTrex Legend for about the same price. The Legend comes with the cable as standard and its an add on with the yellow. So for roughly the same price you can get mapping, WAAS and a higher resolution display by buying the Legend.

Brian and Lep pretty much said it all.

I would add that you might find a great deal on ebay once you decide on a model. I've bought several yellow etrexes for gifts for around $50 each some of these even came with the PC cable or auto power cable.

I bought my Garmin 3+ on ebay for $140 about 4 years ago. It has done a terrific job for me, never giving me an excuse to upgrade.

. I would get a Etrax Yellow, and a PDA, POCKET PC. You will be able to upload gpx files to the PDA and Yellow and your be set. If you have old eyes then a 76 has a bigger screen. But do you need mapping capabilites NO. I would make sure what ever you get it can contect to you PC so you can load waypoints.

Though the yellow eTrex will do the job, once you add in the cost of the PC cable, you can get an eTrex Legend for about the same price. The Legend comes with the cable as standard and its an add on with the yellow. So for roughly the same price you can get mapping, WAAS and a higher resolution display by buying the Legend.

Yes the ledgend if it comes with the cable is good. Tought you can get cables musch less then Garmin sells them for. Basically I was saying the 60cs isn't the be all and end all.

cheers

It sounds as though cost is not your major concern. Go for the 'good' one. If you later decide that you really don't enjoy cache hunting and do not have other important needs for the unit, then type this into your browser's address line: www.ebay.com By the way, if you can hold off for a bit, Magellan is coming out with the absolutely hottest GPSr's on the market. The eXplorist models 400, 500 and 600. Go the their www site and check it out: http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/pro...asp?PRODID=1073

Garmin is sweating, trust me. LOL

P.S.

Not quite: "Brian and Lep pretty much said it all." Beautiful. ;-)

Edited by Team cotati697
By the way, if you can hold off for a bit, Magellan is coming out with the absolutely hottest GPSr's on the market. The eXplorist models 400, 500 and 600

I've wondered why so many people are raving about these when nobody, outside some Magellan employees, have even seen one, let alone tested it in the field.

By the way, if you can hold off for a bit, Magellan is coming out with the absolutely hottest GPSr's on the market. The eXplorist models 400, 500 and 600

I've wondered why so many people are raving about these when nobody, outside some Magellan employees, have even seen one, let alone tested it in the field.

I was reading the page and thought it was looking good, until I got to the power part......Li-ion battery pack. Ok, so when that dies on the first day of a weekend or longer trip what do you do? No thanks, I'll stick with a unit that uses AA's.

I was reading the page and thought it was looking good, until I got to the power part......Li-ion battery pack. Ok, so when that dies on the first day of a weekend or longer trip what do you do?

This battery question comes up over and over again. You have the option of putting in another Li ion battery, Magellan will be sell them, you also have the option of using a 12 volt adapter while driving.

explorist

I am going to try the 400 or 500, Like I have said, I do not see a need for a color screen that the 500 has, but if I decide to sell it is a sales feature.

My two cents on this topic?

You should start out geocaching by using a yellow etrex with an interface cable or an Etrex Legend.

For geocaching, that will be all you ever need. However, like most of us, you will soon wish to have the GPS provide you reliable guidance to the cache site. This is where I deviate from many on this forum...

Instead of getting a highend hand held GPS that can do road navigation, get a really good, dedicated road navigation GPS like a Garmin 2610 with maps of all USA and Canada included. It is not cheap (about $650) but it will give you perfect voice turn-by-turn guidance to the cache sites...you literally can throw away paper maps. I have one and I'm so happy with it. It also comes with a remote control and user-interface is via touch screen.

A high-end handheld GPS may cost a lot less than something like a Garmin 2610, but after you buy the navigation maps and other accessories, the money you save may not be that much. In return, the handheld units are very limited in capabilities (small screen, lack of voice guidance, etc.).

I started backwards by owning a Garmin 2610 (first GPS I ever owned) and then a handheld GPS but imho it turns out to be a correct decision for me.

Hank

http://home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/SP26X0U...tedFeatures.htm

I was reading the page and thought it was looking good, until I got to the power part......Li-ion battery pack.  Ok, so when that dies on the first day of a weekend or longer trip what do you do?

This battery question comes up over and over again. You have the option of putting in another Li ion battery, Magellan will be sell them, you also have the option of using a 12 volt adapter while driving.

explorist

I am going to try the 400 or 500, Like I have said, I do not see a need for a color screen that the 500 has, but if I decide to sell it is a sales feature.

Yeah, and I'm sure those will be cheap......like I said, I'll stick with a GPS that uses AA's.

The solution to your dilema is: DO NOT WAIT A BIT. Sheesh!! When someone says that a company is 'coming out....' it doens't mean that the company is gay. Though with the ownership being based in FRANCE, that might also apply in this instance. What it for sure does mean is that the company is developing a new product line and wants its current and potential customer base to be aware of it. If the company then doesn't make a reasonable delivery they will suffer in the free market place just as God intended. As usual, time will tell. Relax, no one is going to force you to purchase any of their product. And by the way, how do YOU happen to know that these units have not been field tested?

Unit envy? LOL

Edited by Team cotati697

...Instead of getting a highend hand held GPS that can do road navigation, get a really good, dedicated road navigation GPS like a Garmin 2610 with maps of all USA and Canada included.  It is not cheap (about $650) but it will give you perfect voice turn-by-turn guidance to the cache sites...you literally can throw away paper maps.  I have one and I'm so happy with it.  It also comes with a remote control and user-interface is via touch screen. 

A high-end handheld GPS may cost a lot less than something like a Garmin 2610, but after you buy the navigation maps and other accessories, the money you save may not be that much.  In return, the handheld units are very limited in capabilities (small screen, lack of voice guidance, etc.).

The handheld Lowrance iWay 100 cost $400, and that includes all the accessories and software needed for voice guided navigation.

A dedicated in-car navigation system may have a larger screen, but it will forever remain "in car". The iWay's screen is one of the largest in the handheld market though.. and serves quite well as a real "all in one solution". No need to buy 2 systems :lol:

Different philosophies fit different people. I followed the philosophy to buy the most I could with a single purchase. Others like to test the waters with their toes before getting their feet wet.

The best thing you can do is to go to your regional forum and ask to meet up with folks in your area to get an idea of what they use and why. It is a good idea to list out what you might think you will use the GPS for. That way folks can help you narrow down your research.

A great resource for information on the different models and their capabilities will be www.gpsinformation.net.

Edited by TotemLake
Though with the ownership being based in FRANCE, that might also apply in this instance.

As oposed to Garmin which is based in the Cayman Islands, sounds like a corporte tax dodge.

Garmin

I couldn't resist

Edit to add:

Both Garmin and Magellan have a habit of posting new products on their web pages months before they are in the stores. I remember when the Garmin V made it to the dealers it was almost 5 months late, not through any fault of Garmin, one of the key componets of the circuit was also being used in a Nokia phone and the company making the chip decided Garmin would have to wait because the Nokia order was much larger.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Though with the ownership being based in FRANCE, that might also apply in this instance.

As oposed to Garmin which is based in the Cayman Islands, sounds like a corporte tax dodge.

Garmin

I couldn't resist

Edit to add:

Both Garmin and Magellan have a habit of posting new products on their web pages months before they are in the stores. I remember when the Garmin V made it to the dealers it was almost 5 months late, not through any fault of Garmin, one of the key componets of the circuit was also being used in a Nokia phone and the company making the chip decided Garmin would have to wait because the Nokia order was much larger.

"Both Garmin and Magellan have a habit of posting new products on their web pages months before they are in the stores." Interesting how that seems to bother some folk so much. Strange.

I also started with the Garmin Legend, and I'm still using it. (Just over 4 months so far though). I don't feel a need to upgrade, I can do everything I have to with this one. I'm on a Mac, and there are a couple of software hurdles to jump through to be able to upload and download the geocache data, but no software had to be purchased, just a "Serial/USB" adaptor cable for about $35.

I will upgrade when a Garmin USB comes out that connects to the Mac, and lets me upload the maps that are optional. Then I'll go the color route because it's brighter and crisper.

But not to worry, if you get a Garmin legend for about $160, I think you'll be happy with your decision. (And I like the blue color!)

--Marc

March 18, 2005 @ 10:22 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Garmin

I couldn't resist

Edit to add:

"Both Garmin and Magellan have a habit of posting new products on their web pages months before they are in the stores." Interesting how that seems to bother some folk so much. Strange.

It really drives the retailers nuts, I remember dealing with people calling all the time or comming into the store to complain that we did not have the newest Magellan or Garmin in stock that they had read about in the web. No matter how many times we would tell them that the new ones would not be in for a few months, they would call of come back every week.

It really drives the retailers nuts, I remember dealing with people calling all the time or comming into the store to complain that we did not have the newest Magellan or Garmin in stock that they had read about in the web. No matter how many times we would tell them that the new ones would not be in for a few months, they would call of come back every week.

So, if they could FIND it on the internet to look at, what was stopping them from ordering it as soon it was availible (alot of times vefore stores have it)?? Morons. I buy from the net first, then laugh when Walmart or something has it for 15-50% more.

I started with the Magellan SporTrak Pro which is a fine piece of equipment. I recently upgraded to the 60CS and have had no complaints. I use this unit for more than just geocaching though. Since I travel in my work I find the auto routing feature to be invaluable.

Now that I have the unit I find that Auto Routing is also a great help when trying to find a cache. I can't think of how much time I used to waste trying to figure out how to get close enough to a cache to park and start my trek. Now it is automatic.

If I were to purchase today I would get the 60C since I haven't used the compass and barometer enough to warrant the increase in price. I also bought the auto kit which includes several forms of mounting brackets and the City Select software for $149. This was a good buy as far as I am concerned. Look on Ebay for good deals.

:P

So, if they could FIND it on the internet to look at, what was stopping them from ordering it as soon it was availible (alot of times vefore stores have it)?? Morons. I buy from the net first, then laugh when Walmart or something has it for 15-50% more.

Because there are some people that do not like to by online or mail order.

Some people like to get a feel for the ergonimics of a GPS before they buy one.

Some people like to purchase in a store so that if they have a question on how to use a particular feature in GPS they can go back to that store with their questions and get the needed help at no charge.

As a matter of fact in the store that I was working in we matched online prices, so in our store price was not an issue, in large chains like Wallmart, and REI you are not going have them offer to match a price due to thier corporate policy.

Then it would be nice if Magellan and Garmin would post there new products on the same day they started shipping them to the retailers. It does not take much time to change a web page.

So, if they could FIND it on the internet to look at, what was stopping them from ordering it as soon it was availible

just because an item is listed on a companies web site that does not mean it is available, if you go back an read earlier threads you will see that is an issue.

From the time Magellan and Garmin I have seen it take 3 to 6 months for itmes to be available. Being able to place an order online does not mean it is available for shipping, you might still have to waite several months before you recieve your order.

the problem you may of have with placing an order for an item that is not being shipped for several months is that if that online dealer goes bankrupt in the meantime you lose all your money.

Morons.

So in your eyes someone that buys an item in a store rather than online is a moron?

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Although I buy some things online, I agree with earlier posters in that I like supporting the old brick and mortar stores when prices are similar. I don't have to put up with out of stocks, shipping delays, etc. Also I like people and interacting with people. To top it off, I like being to hold the product in my hot little hand and see how if feels and performs, something that the best Macromedia Flash demo uitilities cannot provide. I don't think I and others are "morons" for not wanting to do all my shopping online.

Thanks,

You all have had some really good advice, thanks. I am activly involved in other outdoor events like, Camping, Hiking, Four Wheeling, Model Rocket Launching, Traveling, Sight Seeing, etc. so the auto routing would be nice. I also think if I were to get the feature of auto routing I would spend the extra and get the mapping software. I really appericate the advice. I am stating to concider the Lowrance. do any of you have any other comments on this line of GPS? it looks like they may have a good product going at comparable prices. my concern is ongoing software support. any help would be great.

Thanks again,

The Redmonds

Yes if you believe auto-routing is an important feature for you, then the Lowrance iWay 100 would be an excellent choice. It's ability to give voice guided driving instructions puts it on top. You really don't want to be glancing away from the road down onto a GPS screen for directions while driving like you would have to with most of the other brand handheld GPSr's. Unless of course you have a passenger/co-pilot willing to read the navigation instructions to you as you drive.

Lowrance has been in the GPS/sonar market for a long time, and their software is quite good.

Edited by IVxIV

1. Sorry Johnny.

2. I said 'when it was availible'

3. If only Wallyworld or someplace I could find a good selection of GPSs had a price match guarantee.

4. I went to several stores and checked out different models and asked questions. Then I went online and got the competition.

Trust me, I would much rather buy locally. It's just cheaper online. I don't doo all my shopping online, only the gadgets that are either new, cheaper, or hard to find locally. Sorry for my earlier outburst. It was early.

Edited by Marcie/Eric