Phony Geocaching Permits

Capaldo

I've seen various 'permits', signs and soforth that cachers have come up with to fool muggles into thinking they're on official business. You know, signs for the dashboard, badges, etc. In particular, I remember seeing a USGS (United States Geocache Survey) sign that was pretty neat. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

Do I want to share? I'll send them to anyone because I do not know how to post them here. I take no credit for them, they are other peoples work and just something I've saved.

Again, I'll send them to anyone, and if someone can put them up here with a link that would be great!!!

Team Teebow

There are penalties for impersonating an agent of a number of government agencies. Be very careful how you design and word any sort of "phony permit." The phrase itself already gives me bad vibes.

If you want to look important, a hard hat, clipboard, and safety vest works well without any phony permit displayed.

That, or just grab a plastic sack and pick up some trash in the area.

Jamie

true, but USGS is generally interpreted as United States Geological Survey. at least by me. ;)

Vest works good, trash bag works good. Looking like you belong where you are doing what you're doing? Even better.

Being able to talk the talk if necessary is fairly helpful as well, and has gained me access to some really cool, non-public spots. (National Map Corps kicks a**!!!) Just being able to convince people you're harmless is enough to open up a lot of opportunities, behind the scenes tours, insider info about some neat spot, fishing holes, etc...

i was trying to explain geocaching to my dad recently, and he brought up the similarities between gaining access to fishing holes and the types of places we like to stick caches. now i just need to get him one so he can find me some cool spots to visit when i'm down home!!!

These are cool, and could be very helpful. Since I cache alone, it seems like a very good idea to have one of these on my dash to let people know where I am.

Here are the images. The originals are .pdf files.

Geocaching.jpg

GeocachePermit.jpg

I got these images by doing a "Print Screen" of the .pdf file.

i think i like the second one a bit better. after having my car broken into in FRONT OF MY HOUSE.. ;) the last thing i need to do is let some hoodlum know exactly how many hours i'm going to be traipsing off in the woods..

but i'm just bitter...

nice job and thanks for posting them!!

This is a cool one. I picked it up in Seattle from a well known cacher (if my memory serves me, it was Era Seek). I appologize for the poor quality; I'm not a geek and I don't play with my scanner often.

As you can see, it is designed to hang on your inside rear view mirror. Unfortunately, I ride a bicycle, but I'm thinking of just having it stenciled on my bike. ;);):mad:

21695962-b2ce-439a-8f7a-27564009f3fd.jpg

This is a cool one. I picked it up in Seattle from a well known cacher (if my memory serves me, it was Era Seek). I appologize for the poor quality; I'm not a geek and I don't play with my scanner often.

As you can see, it is designed to hang on your inside rear view mirror. Unfortunately, I ride a bicycle, but I'm thinking of just having it stenciled on my bike. :D:D:D

I've got this one too. Funny, it came from the same area. Of course, it's hanging from our bedroom door right now until I get around to laminating it.

I'm still not sure how I feel about using it. I don't usually knowingly park illegally or enter a park after hours, so I don't see any pros to informing people I'm gonna be away from the car awhile, and lots of cons.

I got what I was looking for - Thanks!

I didn't intend to start a discussion on the merits of using this type of thing, but here's my purpose. I work for a county environmental agency, so I have no trouble looking like I'm on official business in public places. However, THIS CACHE has been at the top of my not found list a long time. (Some cool logs for June 30th). There's a backdoor route to the cache, and I'll need to legally park in a neighborhood and hike an hour or two. The thing is, the residents have had some real problems with off-roading hoodlums spilling out into their neighborhood, to the extent that it's made front page news. I'm going on a weekday, when the area is fairly quiet and my truck is clearly not for off-roading, but there's a good chance that one of the neighbors will scope it out. I thought a tag like this might help keep my truck from being towed or vandalized. Or, it might not, but this cache must be done.

I think those things are great. I also think that if someone were to print up a bunch of those on good card stock they would make great geocache trade items.

On a different note when I go geocaching in a state park or on game land I often wear a search and rescue shirt. Its great because people will ask us if there is someone missing. I normally tell them that we are just looking for a GPS marker. To which they normally say “oh, your training”. It’s a good way to fool muggles

Could someone send me links to the actual files.

And does anyone have a better scan of the mirror tag? I really like that one, and I think it could be very useful. If I had to, I think I could recreate it, but I'd really like to just print out a copy or something...

Could someone send me links to the actual files.

And does anyone have a better scan of the mirror tag? I really like that one, and I think it could be very useful. If I had to, I think I could recreate it, but I'd really like to just print out a copy or something...

:D Okay . . .

Gone Geocaching

Geocaching Permit

Sorry, can't help with the tag . . . :D

Edited to add quote . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic

As you can see, it is designed to hang on your inside rear view mirror. Unfortunately, I ride a bicycle, but I'm thinking of just having it stenciled on my bike. :(:o:(

Hey Sept1c tank that was the one you got from me. I got the idea and some of the verbage from this forum thread about a year ago.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=parking+permit

I printed up a couple hundred on heavy card stock and manually cut out the hanger top. I left them in caches around the Seattle area.

I have sent the word doc to a few others to use. I don't have a web site to post it on but I'll e-mail a copy to you (even with corrected spelling :( )

Stick it on the e-zine if you like.

This is a cool one.  I picked it up in Seattle from a well known cacher (if my memory serves me, it was Era Seek).  I appologize for the poor quality; I'm not a geek and I don't play with my scanner often.

As you can see, it is designed to hang on your inside rear view mirror.  Unfortunately, I ride a bicycle, but I'm thinking of just having it stenciled on my bike.  :rolleyes:  B)  :lol:

Hey Sept1c tank that was the one you got from me. I got the idea and some of the verbage from this forum thread about a year ago.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=parking+permit

I printed up a couple hundred on heavy card stock and manually cut out the hanger top. I left them in caches around the Seattle area.

I have sent the word doc to a few others to use. I don't have a web site to post it on but I'll e-mail a copy to you (even with corrected spelling :D )

Stick it on the e-zine if you like.

They say there's two things that happen when you get old.

The first one is, you lose your memory (or is it spelling?)...I can't remember the 2nd one.

"Tanks," Marcus, for refreshing my memory. Maybe if we can get the spelling right, I can find a home for it in Today's Cacher. B):lol::(

As you can see, it is designed to hang on your inside rear view mirror. Unfortunately, I ride a bicycle, but I'm thinking of just having it stenciled on my bike. :D:):D

21695962-b2ce-439a-8f7a-27564009f3fd.jpg

He spelled "official" wrong.

After reading this topic and some of the other topics on the same area of interest it appears that alot of people don't have to worry when parking there car. I do think that some of the placards for the dash are probably a good idea. This opinion comes from the area that Barn Bywater is located in Red Wing, MN. I am working on one so if something was to happen and police noticed my vehicle hours after I said I was going to return they might look for me. As for the use of putting "UN" in small letters in front of "Official U.S." I would avoid this. I have being honest, who knows could be a cacher or could be a future cacher you end up talking to. Being Dishonest :( or playing the gray area of honesty can only led to individuals being skeptical of geocaching as a whole. I will now step down from my soap box. thank you. :(