Meeting other geocashers at a cashe.

rolltidekid

This sounds silly even as I type it, but has anyone put together a GeoCacheing Etiquite(sp?) FAQ? I've read the geocaching & extended geocaching, but they don't really cover etiquite. They do cover some things I would consider as obvious, but not the more subtle things such as RollTide's question. I know there is a FRS channel (2 I think) but when/how should it be used?

Added later: Now I see why no FAQ - not enough experience in bumping into other Cachers.

Ppl always groan at my questions - too many details wanted. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Tymanthius on July 06, 2003 at 06:43 PM.]

ive only ever once had the opportunity to approach a cacher and i did. i guess it depends on the region you live in. im from a relatitively small population that is known for being friendly, maybe if youre in a larger center where people keep to themselves it may be different.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

Don't make the mistake I did and shout out *I found it!!!* when you're with some geocachers you just met. Kind of ruins the hunt for them icon_smile.gif. I was on a hunt once where I caught up with a group that had already locatd the cache, but hadn't taken it from its hiding spot. They stood back for a while as I figured out where it was, then we took turns logging in and trading. But I've yet to come across a geocacher who wasn't friendly and glad to meet another member of the tribe.

Only been caching a few months, but have met 5 cachers on route so far.

Usually its a rather interesting experience so go ahead and introduce yourself. Maybe you've read posts by them and you can laugh about it.

But just like any other time, use your head and if you don't feel comfortable about it, go the other way.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

I love busting geocachers at a web site. When I do find them, its fun to pretend I'm one of those muggles that just won't seem to go away.

Then I'll introduce myself and either help them hunt or leave them in peace for a bit while they finish their hunt.

On the other hand I hate it when people do that to me.

I've only met 4 other cachers while out and about. Each time they waited until I was finished, I was there first, before starting to look. I then waited for them to find the cache , introduced myself and had a enjoyable time.

The best time was where it was my cache and I was checking it out. The other cachers were the FTF over a year earlier, and were checking on it and we had a wonderful time shooting the breeze.

In short, don't ruin the hunt but enjoy the opportunity.

Other geocachers seem to be like rabbits over in our neck of the desert. We're frequently bumping into each other. It happened just a couple of nights ago as a matter of fact.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Running into other Geocachers?

I dunno if it is proper, but why not join resources and help each other in finding it? With two GPS units, you can approach the cache from different directions. As you get closer to the cache, the GPS unit goes a little haywire. With two cachers working in unison, you'll have a better chance at getting a better bearing.

I have yet to run into another geocacher in my area.

Yes. I've run into to other cachers more times than I can count. Introduce yourself and join forces. It is the only way. Every other method just ends up seeming ridiculous. It always cracks me up when I see someone trying to hide their GPS.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Yes. I've run into to other cachers more times than I can count. Introduce yourself and join forces. It is the only way. Every other method just ends up seeming ridiculous. It always cracks me up when I see someone trying to hide their GPS.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4497_300.jpg

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

Yeah, I see logs where people say "Ran into Team Rabbitfoot and went away for a few minutes while they searched for the cache." That seems so weird to me. Why not just look TOGETHER? However, it makes me think that if I suggested it, the other party might say "Um, no, we want to find this for OURSELVES."

Which is kind of how I react when I'm running the pool table at the bar and somebody comes up and asks if they and their SO can play "doubles."

I can't say I've ever actually run into another cacher but I had a few close calls. We're walking into the woods and a couple is walking out in waders and with a garbage bag in their hand. icon_smile.gif No gpsr's in sight...just a knowing look in their eyes and a slight grin with a tilt of the head. They knew what we were up too! (Don’t even think it...we had the monsters with us icon_razz.gif) No log in the book though...maybe a no find or a maintenance run?

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

I've run into 2 other geocachers in the short 10 weeks of my addiction.

Both times I just walked up to them with GPSr in hand and said something like "this arrow is pointing right at you...you must be a geocacher."

LOL!! Or your a plunderer and I can find you anywhere you go!!! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

It’s just makes my day to run into other cachers on the trail………………..JOE

I never ran into one on site, but I met one at a non-related event were I dodn't even mention it (for a change), who identified me when she heard the name of my kids :-) She had come across them the day before in one of the logs

;-)

Actually, it is suprising how often this happens. In my case, excluding the Geocaching events, it usually happens when you are trying to be the first finder, but not always.

It has happened to me in, California, Florida, DC, Arizona, of course Texas and once in Denmark.

The meeting in Denmark was the most interesting, I was trudging up this steep hill in a fairly remote area. Head down, concentrating on my GPSr, just as I topped the hill, I glanced up to see another person not 3 feet away approaching from the other side, GPSr in hand. We both held up the cache printouts and exchanged handshakes and big smiles. That was the good part. The bad part was - after a half hour searching in a light drizzle, we never did find the darn thing.

Ok this happened to me today. We were looking for the TC Cache,we had found it and were in the process of rehiding it when we heard voices. We looked up and saw a group of people walking on the trail one of them carrying a yellow E-Trex. They put it down and walked up another trail. We finished up and went back down. I talked to them and found out they were geocaching. I asked them who they were. We had met the Thornberries. I was amazed because here we were 50 miles away from home and ran into some fellow cachers looking for the same one. What a small world.

quote: