Smelly Stuff In The Caches

Miragee

I'm new at this wonderful hobby/game/pastime and I'm definitely hooked. :unsure:

However . . . I've already run into a few caches with heavily-scented items inside them.

I'm very sensitive to perfumes and it is disturbing to be out hiking in clean fresh air and finally succeed in finding the cache only to open it and have the strong scent of perfume emerge from the container. :unsure:

I don't know what the offending item was in the last cache, but the item I took in trade is still outside my house "airing out" because the scent lingered.

Have others run into this? In my area the scent won't attract the bears that aren't here, but in the Sierras, the scent would be a lure and the cache would certainly go missing . . .

Just be glad that your scent smelled GOOD, most caches smell like @#$%!

Oh, but to me the smell of perfume is AWFUL!! :unsure:

Although, the smell of mildew, which I've also found, is equally bad. :unsure:

Edited to include quote of post I was answering . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic

We found a cache recently that had two pouches of some super pungent potpouri and both of different varieties so the two smells combined was pretty putrid. I wouldn't say I am offended, but they don't belong in caches. It makes everything inside the cache smell like that and you'll be lucky if simply airing it out rids the smell off any trade items.

Kar

Smelly things don't belong in caches simply because they may attract animals.

Personally I'm not crazy about opening a cache and catching a whiff of perfume, air freshener or other strong scents, but its only for a moment so it isn't that big a deal to me, but if you want the cache to last keep the smelly stuff out of it.

I have never noticed a bad smelling ammo box, until I got one yesterday at the army navy store. Opened it up WOW, what funk! May need and airing out before it become a cache.

Smelly things don't belong in caches simply because they may attract animals.

This is absolutely correct. Someone left a blueberry scented candle in one of my caches, and was completely destroyed by animals. And, talk about scent, the musk on that container afterward was unbelievable - though I did sorta like it :ph34r:

I love the sweet smell of an aged ammo box!
It smells like VICTORY!

The tag line from the famed movie, The Deercacher...

Sorry BRM, that line is from Apocalypse Caching Now! :ph34r:

You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.

I'm not too fond of finding smelly things, un/pleasent or not in caches. I'm not quite as sensitive as the OP seems to be, but there are certain stores I will not go near on the rare occasion I'm shopping with Shadowgal because of the odor/aromas. :D

Good thing none of them sell good containers or swag. ;)

On the opposite end of perfume, I usually glue a laminated cache letter into the lid of my ammo boxes. I put out a cache last year and glued the letter to the lid just before I left the house. It didn't have time to dry. Everybody who has found the cache since has remarked about the powerful glue smell when the open the cache :ph34r: .