If I Were In Charge...

Light-hearted or serious, how would you make caching in the UK 'better'?

My suggestions:

1) GPSr's to be made to work indoors for wet-weather caching - Eden Project cache, anyone?

2) 'Perishable' cache contents to be protected by clingfilm or similar.

3) Tree cover to be rendered irrelevant by an external GPS arial, 30m cable and a helium balloon (or kite on windy days)

4) Cachers to wear some form of ID identifiable by other cachers. Clueless expressions don't count as a form of ID. Perhaps, following others pioneering efforts, a silly hat.

5) Inch-perfect co-ords to make rubbish clues redundant.

SP :sad:

Light-hearted or serious, how would you make caching in the UK 'better'?

A new category of "Senior's Caches" would be created, with access restricted - like PM caches - to those over 55 years old..

A modified set of guidelines would apply to "Senior's Caches", including...

• No cache to be more than 300 metres from the nearest car park, bus stop or train station.
  • No gradient of more than 1 in 20 on any part of the walking route.
  • Caches may (and indeed, must) contain tobacco products and alcoholic beverages.
  • Certain pharmaceutical items may be swapped.
  • Removal of all nettles, brambles or other inimical vegetation shall be the ongoing responsibility of the cache owner.
  • Senior's Caches will be rated, not by difficulty, but according to the proximity of the nearest 4-star hotel.
  • A find may be claimed, even if the log was not signed, by using the acronym FTBRG. (Forgot To Bring Reading Glasses)

(These guidelines may be altered or added to at any time, without telling anybody.)

5) Inch-perfect co-ords to make rubbish clues redundant.

When we had a demonstration of the new GPS system my work have purchased for mapping and surveying (differential GPS with base stations given millimetric accuracy) the operator placed a penny in a field of grass and marked its location and at the end of the day he returned to the field and found the penny!

Geocaching would be a doddle if we all had these!!

John

GPS units must have VERY LARGE SCREENS

All caches should 'talk' to GPS units and say - " I'm over here - ignore the coordinates"

All GPS units should come with incoporated brandy flask: Aaf27.jpg

and a flashing beacon on top of every cache beacon.jpg for the dozy incompetents like ourselves to find at night

Edited by kewfriend

Caches by rivers must state which bank to walk along - the width of a river is quite insignificant on your bearing when you're a mile away. :D

Parking location compulsory on cache info page. (Or bus number!)

Seeing the cache is enough to log a find.

Seeing the general location of the cache is enough to log a find.

Parking in the recommended spot and eating sandwiches is enough to log a find if it's raining.

No caches more than a mile from a pub which does good food.

No speed bumps in the car park. :D

Stu

Funnily enough, I've done one in NZ that you could only find easily by night - it was hidden deep in a crack in some rocks, and had a flashing light on top that you could only see if you looked at *just* the right angle...

See this cache that we did a few days ago in California. This one is impossible during the day.

T

PS Some fireflies may be making their way over here soon......

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Encrypted clues to be a minimum of 20 words most of which are along the lines of" The recommended parkng for ths cache is located by the Old Nags Head pub. The cache that you are seeking is to be found under the log near to the old tree". This clue is only to be used in woods with lots of trees and logs.

If you are in a location with loads of rocs (like a quarry) then the clue is to be " The cache that you are seeking is hidden in the quarry and can be found under the rock".

Peter

Funnily enough, I've done one in NZ that you could only find easily by night - it was hidden deep in a crack in some rocks, and had a flashing light on top that you could only see if you looked at *just* the right angle...

See this cache that we did a few days ago in California. This one is impossible during the day.

T

I seem to remember we had one very similar in UK a year or so ago, until it got muggled, any one remember it.................

T

I seem to remember we had one very similar in UK a year or so ago, until it got muggled, any one remember it.................

I think you're thinking of Chris's GCCDE5 Night Vision, I'm sure he used retroreflective strips of tape, are the fireflys the same stuff? They look a bit more complicated to me.