Combo Lock On Cache

WxGuesser

I would think that may not be as good as an idea.

The Bomb Squad has been called out enough times on caches without locks. If a non cacher comes across a cache with a lock on it that may just increase people thinking it's some kind of bomb.

Excuse my language... but those G.D. Terrorists had to mess up our counrty.. and make everything a pain in my a**.....

This one has several ways to get the combo. There is a TB floating around the area with the combo on it. I also have micros placed at several spots with one number of the combo. Searchers either have to hike a few miles to get each number, or track down the TB.

This is done for the fun factor. I don't think a lock will reduce the chance of muggling. In fact the lock may actually pique the curiosity of people. If they can look inside and see its a silly old geocache, they may leave it be. But if it has a lock, of course they're gonna have to take it home and get out the bolt cutters or sledgehammer.

5de8a3cf-1927-4c1f-af9a-47cd1c615a48.jpg

5c89f66f-b3bd-463f-ad5e-5eb587eabb8e.jpg

Edited by briansnat
I would think that may not be as good as an idea.

The Bomb Squad has been called out enough times on caches without locks.  If a non cacher comes across a cache with a lock on it that may just increase people thinking it's some kind of bomb.

Excuse my language... but those G.D. Terrorists had to mess up our counrty.. and make everything a pain in my a**.....

Hundreds of bombs are placed in the US each year, almost none of them by terrorists. It's generally your garden-variety gang, mafiosi, insurance plot, or whatever.

I'm not aware of any bomber incorporating a combination lock into their design. I thought they all had those nice LED countdown timers. Oh, and a red and a blue wire, to give the bomb squad a dilemma. But maybe the combination lock could be the next big thing for Hollywood.

Back on topic: there's a cache not too far from me which has a combination lock. You can get the combination at the next cache along from the same owner, but from the logs it seems that several people have adopted the "school locker" approach and saved themselves the trip ;)

There's a cache I know of that says that you should find out the final score of a particular sporting event before going to the cache site. Its a mystery cache so you don't really know why you need the information. Nothing which comes out of solving the mystery says anything about the score. But when you get to see cache, you see a combo lock on the box and suddenly it all becomes clear .... ;)

edit: removed duplcate word word

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Found a combo-lock cache a few months ago . . . the combo was the mystery and it was a unique & fun cache idea . . . but, I could'nt remember whether to start turns right or left or how many turns one way or the other (long time since used one), It did not open for me. Others had had the same concern, as it had a busted hinge large enough to remove & replace log book . . . it was full, I still wonder what was inside. MORALE: Use a quality lock, give instructions for dummies!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

There are a couple in my area like that. The lock locks both the ammo can closed, and attaches the container to a tree by a cable. The combination is in the hint on the cache page. The box is well marked with Geocaching.com stickers, and the cable/lock prevents it from being opened or muggled. So far, they're holding up well.

I've done 2 caches that had combo locks on them. The first one was a temporary cache for an event. It was quite possibly the hardest cache I've ever tackled. A bunch of us were searching for the final when one cacher spotted it and called us over to look at the hide. I was the lucky sod that got to pick up the ammo can and when we all saw the lock the collective groan was probably heard for miles!

Luckilly, I was FTF on the combo, but when everyone got back, the husband of the lady who had found the container had PICKED THE LOCK!!!! After some discussion, I was awarded the FTF.

The other one is one I adopted, got the "team FTF" on it with a group, gave the "official FTF" to the cacher that had put in the most time on it.

This type of cache is frustrating and maddning, and I LOVE THEM!! ;)