Travelbug Etiquette

klaus23

Hi all,

Here's another thread on Travelbug etiquette, and relates to something I noticed (and overheard) at a recent event cache.

An event is always a good place to swop Travelbugs. Most people log the bugs they are bringing to the event into the event page for convenience, as the person they are giving them to just has to retrieve them from that page, mileage gets logged, etc.

In the case of rarer items, eg geocoins or Jeep TB's, I don't see anything wrong with somebody taking ownership of that item, and then providing the number to someone who has not yet found such an item, so they can log it and have the icon displayed on their cache page details. These cachers then take the bug from the event and 'drop' it back in. After everyone who wanted to do that has finished, the person who physically has ownership of the geocoin or Jeep TB moves it on and places it in a new cache.

However...

It appears that some cachers take note of all of the bog-standard Travelbugs' numbers present at an event and log them all. Not only is this confusing for the TB owner, but no mileage is gained and it serves as nothing more than to push up statistics. I have also noticed that there are cachers who will log a TB out, and back into a cache if they cannot move the bug on, instead of mentioning it in their log (eg "Could not help the bug towards it's goal).

Thoughts? I know it's a bit of a contradiction in terms, but is it really the done thing to log every single TB that makes it to an event, even if you're not taking it anywhere. In the case of geocoins or Jeep TB's I see nothing wrong for someone who has not yet found one - but apart from those? ;)

Thoughts? I know it's a bit of a contradiction in terms, but is it really the done thing to log every single TB that makes it to an event, even if you're not taking it anywhere. In the case of geocoins or Jeep TB's I see nothing wrong for someone who has not yet found one - but apart from those? ;)

I do agree with you on this one Klaus. I think people who log TBs that they have "seen" at events, rather than having found them in caches and moved them to other caches are missing the point of travel bugs a little.

Thoughts? I know it's a bit of a contradiction in terms, but is it really the done thing to log every single TB that makes it to an event, even if you're not taking it anywhere. In the case of geocoins or Jeep TB's I see nothing wrong for someone who has not yet found one - but apart from those?  ;)

I do agree with you on this one Klaus. I think people who log TBs that they have "seen" at events, rather than having found them in caches and moved them to other caches are missing the point of travel bugs a little.

And I agree with both of you...all this odd behaviour of logging TB's other than the normal pick up and move on....leaves me speechless :D

Surely this it is not in the spirit of the game (geocaching) to indulge in sharp tactics just to get one's stats pumped up??? :D

Bill.

I get a feeling this in the 'who cares?' territory for me again.

I went to a great event last week... brilliant selection of TBs. Gave me some great ideas. Many people were writing down every number of every TB, and as you say, logging them in and out. Great... if their version of the game is to log every TB that has crossed their paths.

I seemed to be in the minority of people that was quite content to look. I also wanted to 'launch' 3 TBs on the day by giving them to people. I didn't want to swap as I didn't want to come away with TBs I was responsible for knowing that I would not be out caching again for weeks.

I don't swap TBs when I'm in the field. If I see one and can help it on its way I just take it. If I have a TB with me when I find a suitable cache then I just drop it off. I treat the event in just the same way.

In fact there was a geocoin there, but I didn't log it as I didn't feel I earned it. Finding my way into a pub is well within my capabilities.

But as I said, each to their own. TBs are an interesting sideline, but finding the box in its natural habitat is the bit that interests me.

Incidentally, I usually go caching with 'the wife'. She doesn't want to be told that the cache description says that there was a TB there when I did the printout. She likes the thrill of not knowing and hunting through the contents to see if there is one there. Rather like hunting through the cornflakes for the free gift.

(Sorry - long post - work avoidance tactics set to stun)

Agreed on the "who cares".

Some may be playing in a way that they want to log every travel bug there is on this planet. Previously un-bagged Travel Bugs encountered at an event are prime for logging as one may well never see that travel bug again.

How someone could frown upon the non-malicious game-play derived from this sport to the point they are rendered "speechless" is beyond me.

Chill pills all round.

Agreed on the "who cares".

Some may be playing in a way that they want to log every travel bug there is on this planet. Previously un-bagged Travel Bugs encountered at an event are prime for logging as one may well never see that travel bug again.

How someone could frown upon the non-malicious game-play derived from this sport to the point they are rendered "speechless" is beyond me.

Chill pills all round.

Now why do I get the feeling that this post was directed at me?? ;):D:D

I agree 'speechless' may have been have been a bit overboard....but the principle remains Stonefisk :D

BTW it does not surprise me that you are on the side of 'who cares' and to some extent I can see that point of view....but it doesn't alter the fact that it doesn't seem to make any sense !!! :D

Bill.

....but the principle remains Stonefisk  ;)

Poppycock. What principle? What "spirit of geocaching"?

Shock horror, the Ullium book of geocaching may be different to the next guys. The spirit of geocaching does not exist other than what it means to each individual geocacher. There are endless accounts on this forum of people stating this game/sport is what the individual makes out of it, one plays how they choose. That if anything is the "spirit of geocaching".

....but it doesn't alter the fact that it doesn't seem to make any sense !!

Does not seem to make sense...to...you.

Makes perfect sense to those playing as in the stated scenario.

Just another way to play the game.

Some cachers exhaust thier local caches and are faced with long expensive drives out. So they go on TB hunt's at caches they have visited. It's just another variation on the game.

I have seen this logging activity and as these are usually longer term cachers they know the TB mission before they go on the hunt, if they can help they do if they can't they leave the Tb.

Just a different way of playing the geocaching game.

At the end of the day, its down to the TB owner to state any rules that they have for the bug. And to be prepared to delete any logs which break their rules, other wise TB's should be considered fair game to log, if you have the No. If you have a TB and only want it logged, by the person placing it in, or retrieving it from a cache or event. Put it on the TB page, and the majority of cachers will follow your request.

Dave

Some cachers exhaust thier local caches and are faced with long expensive drives out. So they go on TB hunt's at caches they have visited. It's just another variation on the game.

I have seen this logging activity and as these are usually longer term cachers they know the TB mission before they go on the hunt, if they can help they do if they can't they leave the Tb.

Spot on.

....but the principle remains Stonefisk  :D

Poppycock. What principle? What "spirit of geocaching"?

Shock horror, the Ullium book of geocaching may be different to the next guys. The spirit of geocaching does not exist other than what it means to each individual geocacher. There are endless accounts on this forum of people stating this game/sport is what the individual makes out of it, one plays how they choose. That if anything is the "spirit of geocaching".

....but it doesn't alter the fact that it doesn't seem to make any sense !!

Does not seem to make sense...to...you.

Makes perfect sense to those playing as in the stated scenario.

I'm doing my best to ignore the agressive attitude Stonefisk....it is hard ... but I am just about succeeding ;)

If everyone interprets the rules in their own way then a game becomes pointless...a bit like those who like to find loopholes in the law!!

However, because this game/pastime of ours is just that a game/pastime .... it is not so important I agree¬

But I still think that most geocachers like to think that we are all playing the game by the same rules....not just the ones that certain people can see a way to circumvent to their own advantage to serve their own purposes...whatever that may be!!

Bill.

I hope that I am not or I don’t think that I am a ‘get high number cacher’. Last week I found eight caches in the same large park. Many of them had TBs in them. I suppose that I could have moved each one from the cache and placed it a few hundred yards to the next. But I did not. I also logged T.O.L.O.

I have only found and taken one TB since I have been caching although I have seen others in caches. I don’t take them, as I do not know when I would be able to move them on to a decent mileage.

All I seem to want out of geocaching is a good outing and walk with my dog and find a few boxes or 35mm containers whilst doing so.

Also if the opportunity arises, I would meet up with other cachers

Spot on.

So why Deego do you think that most people a bit taken aback about the Virtual cacher??

After all he or she is just playing the game as he or she sees it ??

Bill.

Edited by Team Ullium
So why Deego do you think that most people a bit taken aback about the Virtual cacher??

Most? Just the majority of people who are worried enough about it to post about it here. There are more (possibly the silent majority?), such as myself who really couldn't care less if they decide to do a virtual logging tour of wherever.

There are more things in life to worry about than someone who wants to waste time logging caches they've not been to ;)

Spot on.

Bill.

Perhaps because they are bored our of their tiny little minds and need to get out more!

Edited by mongoose39uk
But I still think that most geocachers like to think that we are all playing the game by the same rules....not just the ones that certain people can see a way to circumvent to their own advantage to serve their own purposes...whatever that may be!!

Oh please stop attempting to speak for the majority it is very presumptuous. It come across as if you assume to have the finger on the pulse on every aspect of the community.

These are YOUR interpretations, YOUR views, how YOU see things should be, Stop with the MOST OF US, MAJORITY, SPIRIT OF GEOCACHING stuff, speak for yourself man they are YOUR view points and that is fine and dandy, some will agree and some will not.

Most? Just the majority of people who are worried enough about it to post about it here. There are more (possibly the silent majority?), such as myself who really couldn't care less if they decide to do a virtual logging tour of wherever.

There are more things in life to worry about than someone who wants to waste time logging caches they've not been to :D

Indeed you could very well be right there Stuey in that the silent majority couldn't care less ;)

But then again you could also be very wrong!!

There is no way of telling what the silent majority think if they are silent...now is there?? :D

The only people we are apt to see on a forum are the more outspoken cachers,

All we can pass comment on are the replies and comments we see on this forum...and that would appear to me that ... if not most...then at least a fair number or the cachers are not best pleased!!

Just my take on it Stuey!!

Bill.

Oh please stop attempting to speak for the majority it is very presumptuous. It come across as if you assume to have the finger on the pulse on every aspect of the community.

These are YOUR interpretations, YOUR views, how YOU see things should be, Stop with the MOST OF US, MAJORITY, SPIRIT OF GEOCACHING stuff, speak for yourself man they are YOUR view points and that is fine and dandy, some will agree and some will not.

I have always stood by my own beliefs Stonefisk...and realise that others might not agree with them :D

And if you read my words you will see that what I state it is my opinion "But I still think that most geocachers like to think that we are all playing the game by the same rules."...the words "I still THINK" kinda gives that away wouldn't you say ;)

That is a statement of what I think....you are more than welcome to disagree with it...what you are not more than welcome to do is take the aggressive approach you are taking! So please keep your posts if not friendly then at least impersonal?

Bill.

Edited by Team Ullium

Spot on.

Bill.

Its not something that I do (done it twice. 1 yellow jeep and a puzzle). But if I decided I wanted to log loads of bugs. I would have to go to where the TB was to get the number off it. so it would get me out of the house ;)

not counting personal TB's or event logbooks ect,

Edited by Deego

I know, I read your book.

You read the "aggressive approach" into my words as I do not plaster my posts with emoticons, my actions may or may not be intentional. If one is personally making the comments with "I, ME, MY" then one cannot expect impersonal responses, welcome or not.

I have always stood by my own beliefs Stonefisk...and realise that others might not agree with them 

And if you read my words you will see that what I state it is my opinion "But I still think that most geocachers like to think that we are all playing the game by the same rules."...the words "I still THINK" kinda gives that away wouldn't you say 

That is a statement of what I think....you are more than welcome to disagree with it...what you are not more than welcome to do is take the aggressive approach you are taking! So please keep your posts if not friendly then at least impersonal?

Bill.

Edited by stonefisk
I know, I read your book.

You read the "aggressive approach" into my words as I do not plaster my posts with emoticons, my actions may or may not be intentional. If one is personally making the comments with "I, ME, MY" then one cannot expect impersonal responses, welcome or not.

I have always stood by my own beliefs Stonefisk...and realise that others might not agree with them 

And if you read my words you will see that what I state it is my opinion "But I still think that most geocachers like to think that we are all playing the game by the same rules."...the words "I still THINK" kinda gives that away wouldn't you say 

Bill.

If you have read my book Stonefisk...then you must realise I am not interested in scoring points off anyone...or appearing to be right when there might be a chance that I am indeed wrong!

So I take it you disagreed with what I had to say...fair enough ... but this is about geocaching not the psychology of how one's mind functions!!

If I couch my comments in terms of my opinion then how can you claim otherwise?

I must admit I do not know what I have done to make you feel the way you obvious do towards me?

But can we not agree to disagree?? Albeit on about everthing under the sun ;)

Bill.

Do I care if people log TB that they haven't moved? No.

Do I think people should log a bug they haven't moved? No.

Do I think this is a double standard? NO

Unfortunately my reasons can only be seen as condensending to some, and lax to others. So I guess my only choice is to say what I think.

I think people should not log bugs they haven't moved.

That's about it.

Oh, I guess I consider this in-action. Taking a bug with the specific purpose of not assisting it, then yeah, I got a problem.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I love TB's I want to move them....but if you touch them then why not log them?

Just a thought  ;)

Because the point of a Tb is to be moved. What does anyone gain by logging a bug they haven't moved?

Oh, I forgot, peace and tranquility. :D

I see your point. But does that work in the 'event' environment? I dunno coz I haven't managed to get to one yet but I would have thought that TB owners would be impressed by how many peeps have had their TB in their clutches?

Maybe I am too romantic?

Edited by The Hokesters

Folks,

This debate was to try and discuss a very fine point of Travelbug etiquette. So far, the thread has disintegrated into a vendetta of apparently long-standing debate between several prominent forum members.

To pick this up again, try and remain focused on the topic in hand, and not your own personal likes and dislikes. Simon of The Hokesters is intent on continuing the disussion as it was originally begun, can we try and stay close to the subject matter?

I know I am not the forum moderator, but the flaming that goes on is getting far to much for me. ;)

Because the point of a Tb is to be moved. What does anyone gain by logging a bug they haven't moved?

Oh, I forgot, peace and tranquility.  ;)

COTM points? :D

You log a bug as having "Found it" I guess it depends how you define that. I wouldn't log a bug I saw at an event because to me that isn't a find, but if someone else wants to I don't really care.

I plod through my geocaching career for no-one else except me, if someone else loves collecting up bug numbers and logging them then great, I'm glad they are enjoying their caching experience, it has no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. If 10 people at an event chose to log one of my bugs I would get 10 emails, no big deal and certainly not something I would get vexed over! :D

Edited by Cryptik Souls Crew
Folks,

This debate was to try and discuss a very fine point of Travelbug etiquette.

To pick this up again, try and remain focused on the topic in hand, and not your own personal likes and dislikes.

Sorry, but that's just it. You cannot discuss a very fine point without touching on likes and dislikes. Why? because the rules don't require you to move a bug to log it. No fine rule, no fine point.

Does that mean there is no etiquette? no likes and dislikes? no socially acceptable conduct? hmmmmm

I wouldn't log a bug I saw at an event because to me that isn't a find, but if someone else wants to I don't really care.

Exactly, me neither.

Now, that said.

Explain to me why someone would.

I'm not going to argue that people shouldn't, I just don't agree with the reasoning enough that I would do it myself.

As far as I'm concerned if you need to rationalize it, and have a snit over people who disagree with you. well......oh nevermind

Folks,

This debate was to try and discuss a very fine point of Travelbug etiquette.

To pick this up again, try and remain focused on the topic in hand, and not your own personal likes and dislikes.

Sorry, but that's just it. You cannot discuss a very fine point without touching on likes and dislikes. Why? because the rules don't require you to move a bug to log it. No fine rule, no fine point.

Does that mean there is no etiquette? no likes and dislikes? no socially acceptable conduct? hmmmmm

The personal dislikes that I pointed to were between people and appeared to be unrelated to this thread. Opinions are welcomed and invited, standing disagreements on opinions between forum members are not.

I have to say that I don't see your point here. The above post I made was not directed at you, you have stated your opinion, so instead of dominating the discussion, why not give everyone else a chance? I was speaking to people who regularly frequent this forum, not a relative unknown that has decided to join in a debate I would like to discuss with cachers that I speak to on a daily basis.

you have stated your opinion, so instead of dominating the discussion, why not give everyone else a chance?

Well you can't critique me, ask questions and then deny me the right to respond now can you? <_<

Personally, I don't get what purists you are referring to and how you want them to respond.

I may not be a purist but I am hardcore concerning TB conduct. (as futile as that may be) My point is that I chose not to log a bug outside of it's goal and I think I understand why people may choose to log a bug at an event.

I'd rather hear why you should. BEYOND that there is no rule against it. Not that you can "so what's eveybody's problem"

Seems like a fair question to me.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Well you can't critique me, ask questions and then deny me the right to respond now can you? <_<

Personally, I don't get what purists you are referring to and how you want them to respond.

I may not be a purist but I am hardcore concerning TB conduct. (as futile as that may be) My point is that I chose not to log a bug outside of it's goal and I think I understand why people may choose to log bug.

I'd rather hear why you should. BEYOND that there is no rule against it. Not that you can "so what's eveybody's problem"

Seems like a fair question to me.

Ah, but you have responded, and given your opinion, and what else would you like? In your above posts, you have stated that you agreed with what I had stated, namely, that there was no point in logging a Travelbug if you were not moving it on.

The "strictly for the purists" was a tongue-in-cheek remark (subtlety may not be your strongpoint) suggesting that to enter the topic you would have to be a geocaching 'purist' with strong opinions on various aspects of the game. I respect that you have a strong opinion and you have expressed it, and I personally thank for taking the time to venture over to the UK forums and share it.

If you take the time to read back to the original post, I never said why I "should". Of course, there is no rule against it, but as I have said time and time again, a community such as this one will develop it's own rules by popular consent. This is why threads such as this one exist, and why opinions are being invited.

You, on the other hand, are pushing your opinion. And this is what I highlighted in my above post. So why not step back and allow the debate to develop?

I hate to say this, but if you continue to emphasise what you have said, then I will have to close the thread.

Assuming you are referring to myself klaus23 I hope you noticed that I didn't start the drift...however I do think you have raised a viable question and I hope my comments prior to being sidetracked were reasonable and appropriate?

Bill.

Hi Team Ullium,

I was not being personal, but I do feel at times that some posters in these forums have standing likes and dislikes and this, at times, spills over onto their posts.

Please accept that I, at this time of writing, do not have a problem with you or anybody else on these boards and the reason I will not venture into specific "he said, she said's" is that I would like to keep it that way. <_<

This was a general observation, and to answer your question, of course your comments were reasonable and appropriate, and thanks for getting them in there! :lol:

BTW - I'll be thinking of you on Christmas morning - my girlfriend has procured a 10-year old MacAllan for me. Some water, and I'll be awaaaayyyy... :D

I'm sorry, I can give my opinion but I can't participate in a debate?

Forget that. I am offended by your other remarks. I am interested in caching in the UK, I have geocaching friends in the UK and I have Travel bugs in the UK, excuse me for venturing in your forum.

So how can there be a debate if you are the only one talking?

Don't worry, I'm a guest here too. An Irishman without a dedicated forum venturing into the nearest one.

I don't see why you can be offended by my remarks. What I said was that I welcomed your opinion and appreciated your input into this forum.

What I recommend, to say this for a third time, is to sit back and wait until the debate develops. Then, by all means, reiterate and develop what you have said. But I refuse to turn this into a you-versus-me, us-versus-them debate.

For the last time, can the next posts please refer to the original topic and try to stick close to what I had touched on. I know its a fine point, I know, but rather than turn this into a flame war, give your opinon and most importantly, respect others. <_<

Nollaig Shona (Happy Christmas as gaeilge)

Klaus

BlueDeuce, I don't think I am being condescending. I also hope there is no misunderstanding as I have very clearly stated my views in this thread and have elaborated on them in great detail.

I must also clearly state that I am very much not interested in continuing this discussion per PM as it is, at this point, merely an exercise in semantics.

Before this turns into a you-versus-me debate, I will once again request that you monitor the thread to see how your opinion (and everybody else's) on the travelbug issue I highlighted is viewed by other forum members.

We'll pick it up from there.

Oh, I forgot, peace and tranquility.  <_<

COTM points? :lol:

You log a bug as having "Found it" I guess it depends how you define that. I wouldn't log a bug I saw at an event because to me that isn't a find, but if someone else wants to I don't really care.

I plod through my geocaching career for no-one else except me, if someone else loves collecting up bug numbers and logging them then great, I'm glad they are enjoying their caching experience, it has no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. If 10 people at an event chose to log one of my bugs I would get 10 emails, no big deal and certainly not something I would get vexed over! :D

In direct response to your response to me. (That's ok isn't it? :D )

I completely agree. TB logging at an event does not directly affect me or really the bug.

So, then why would you not log a bug? Is it because you think that it is not in the 'spirit' of the game of TBs?

Just a question.

I think I'm getting back to the original spirit of the thread?

One of my nearest caches is TB hotel. It's at the junction of two major motorways and is great for TBs that have just arrived in the country, or want to leave or be taken on a long M-way jaunt.

I could pop up there every week and bag about 10 new TBs every week. I wouldn't be taking them anywhere, just logging them out and back in again. But I don't. I do use this as a drop of point if I have a TB that would benefit from being placed there.

Therefore I have to treat event caches in the same way. If I was a TB bagger I would be at the TB hotel regularly and also running a search on local caches in case a new TB arrived. But I don't.

No, for me TBs are just something that comes as a bonus.

But if someone else has decided that TB bagging is their thing, who am I to care, just happy that they are happy.

I recently logged Pyoung1s' Tb "P99 GPS" I had no option but to leave it where it was because I didn't have a bag that was big enough to put a vehicle in and carry it off! :lol: There is no other option with that sort of TB so I am not sure how this would fit in with other people's etiquette.

Nothing sparks a flame war quite so much as TB etiquette. The behaviour that has been described is with the 'rules' (or not specifically excluded). Etiquette is open to personal interpretation, which is as varied as people are. As long as people are not harming you, your cache or your TB then why not? If you don't want to play the same way as somebody else does, then don't.

I am disappointed that the discussion on this topic has got quite so vehement. Chill out people, Merry Christmas, and all that! <_<

I have five TB's doing the rounds and I've noticed that one in particular was being logged in and out of quite a number of caches by the same person!!

Now obviously this person was not actually placing my TB in these caches...in fact the TB may not even have been on his or her's person while visiting these caches and it struck me that this was a strange way to treat my TB...not that it was doing any harm ... you understand...but it was obvious that numbers of logged TB's was at the heart of it!!

A bit like logging all the TB's at a meet up of cachers... even though you are not really doing anything with the TB!!

But as has been said (sometimes rather forcibly <_< ) each to their own....though I would have thought the TB owners might have had a say in how their TB's are logged and if a cacher wished to deviate from normal behaviour it would be nice if the owner's agreement was sought??

Bill.

I recently logged Pyoung1s' Tb "P99 GPS" ...

I forgot to get that one on the night. You can't miss that one. I knew I was in the right pub as soon as I saw that one.

My car looks more like your average cache at the moment, full of rubbish that no-one really wants.

But as has been said (sometimes rather forcibly <_< ) each to their own....though I would have thought the TB owners might have had a say in how their TB's are logged and if a cacher wished to deviate from normal behaviour it would be nice if the owner's agreement was sought??

Unashamedly plagiarised from a previous post:-

"....A geocacher turns up at the local nick........

"Officer, I want to report a theft"

"Oh yes sir, was it valuable?"

"Yes, it was to me"

"And where did you last see it?"

"Well, I left it in a plastic box beside a public footpath and then posted it's location on the internet"...................."