Off To A Bad Start...

initially posted 01-12-04 on GAGB

I'm a 24 year old aircraft engineer in the RAF and have a 5 year old son. I heard about this thing called geocaching a while ago from a collegue and didn't think much of it...

Not at least until I looked into it a little a few weeks ago. WOW..! I was really impressed, not only at the amazing concept behind the very simple idea, but mostly the number of caches in my area. And to think every day folk have no idea. That's maybe what makes it quite interesting for some people, the exclusiveness of it all!

So, I borrowed a Magellan GPSr from a friend (who does not geocache) and set out with my lad one sunny Saturday morning. We attempted 3 caches in the Reading area, and did not find a thing. I noticed that things like car parks with given co-ords were not accurate, about 350 ft out.

After a bit of advice on Groundspeak, I changed the datum to the geochaching norm and tried again the next weekend. I was more than dissappointed, not just because I had really gotten into the idea (just by surfing t'internet), but because I could see the dissappointment in my son, and felt bad because of it.

I've given up up my friend's Magellan GPSr and gave it back. I've just bought an eTrex Vista from an American trader (with pre installed UK mapping hopefully) and am just waiting on delivery. Lets just hope we have a little more luck with this one!

Well, the point of this topic was really for some advice, and to share my experiences. What I would like would be for someone in the Berkshire area to very kindly invite us along for a couple of caches one weekend to give us a head start. I see this as something my son and I can share together for many years to come, and want to do it properly. And, I want to tackle a couple of caches on the Isle of Wight and Northern Ireland over Christmas!

Thanks all!

Steven and Wee Matthew

Welcome to the mad house.

Just ensure the GPS is set right

position format = hddd°mm.mmm

Map datum = WGS 84

and try a nice easy 1/1 cache to get you off the mark, anything else just ask on here there are some experts knocking around (if not people like me will help B))

Edited by Deego

Also, I assume you are using the gps correctly, i.e. entering the co-ords as a waypoint and then navigating to that waypoint. This then gives you an arrow to follow and a distance to go read out.

Don't laugh, but I have recently read the website of one enthusiastic cacher (team) that were so keen to try out their new toy that they didn't read the instructions and spent the afternoon walking round trying to get the location co-ords to match. (No clue, but you know who you are B) )

Point 2, when you get 'close' i.e. about 100m, slow down. The GPS does take a time to settle. The once within 15 - 20 m stop for about 20 seconds. I usually go to the page that shows signal strength at that point as it gives me a feel for how accurate the signal will be at that point.

Remember if your unit is reporting accuracy up to 10m, whoever placed the cache would have had a similar accuracy when they placed it. So you could have a 20m inaccuracy to deal with.

The satellites are 'moving' and some configurations of sats give better accuracy than others, so from day to day the co-oords for a given spot may vary a bit and the possible accuracy will change.

Hi Steven and welcome to the sport (some call it an addiction!) B)

My husband is in the Army and we are currently living near Swindon. I would be delighted to meet up with you and your son sometime to find a few caches and help you "break your duck"!!! B)

If you're interested, please email me through my geocaching profile and we can arrange a mutually convenient weekend. :lol:

Hi Ratty & Son,

Welcome to this (slightly mad) hobby! I'll email you when I'm next planning some caches in Berkshire, you should meet lots of cachers once you start finding the darn things - there are loads of great cachers in your area.

One suggestion, I notice from your profile that you haven't logged your DNFs, I would suggest you do as you'll have quite a laugh when you look back in a year or so's time to see your story. It also gives the owner and other potential finders feedback and you might get an email or two giving you clues from people who have already found them.

Take a look at the logs from Obviously Built Early Like It Superceded Knights to see that even the most experienced cachers don't always find the cache first time!

Yup .... I'm one of those who posts our DNFs (DidNotFinds) and bares our incompetence for all to see - and yup we are in the Hall of Shame below. :lol:B)

Take a look at the logs from Obviously Built Early Likely It Superceded Knightsto see that even the most experienced cachers don't always find the cache first time!

B)B) but having said that we all enjoy it - and we've cracked some super puzzles and visited some brilliant locations - they dont get much better than The Two Towers in Mallorca.

Welcome to the madhouse, if your american supplier is via ebay then it will be the same as I got my vista from, I got away without any import tax so I hope you get the same luck.

Once you have found one or two you will start getting the hang of where to look, a pile of sticks too well aligned or a suspect looking hole in a tree, We got a DNF first attempt and it is disconcerting but you soon get the hang of it.

Welcome to the game from another RAF Aircraft Engineer at the other end of the age spectrum! I know exactly what you mean - I've done too many first line tours to mention but still, after 35 years, still love the Sqn life, but that's another story.

Geo-caching is an excellent diversion for us military types - especially when Queen and Country send you off to the far backwaters of the world. It's a good way of seeing more of these places and is far more fun than simply collecting an ever-increasing pile of beermats. I've certainly seen much more of the host countries I've visited in the last few years than in all my numerous earlier visits - and lessened the bar tan too...

If you pass through Akrotiri, there's a cache located on the base that ordinary mortals cannot get near (not to mention the unspoilt beaches too - without even ice-cream salemen or bars - now that is unspoilt).

You will probably find that the US supplied GPS has an American Basemap hard-wired into it. You cannot do anything about it but it does not matter cos you'll never use it (though . You need some Garmin map data software (and a serial lead if it does come with the GPS) to install hi-rez mapping detail into the magic box. I'll send you an email...

One suggestion, I notice from your profile that you haven't logged your DNFs, I would suggest you do as you'll have quite a laugh when you look back in a year or so's time to see your story.

DNFs don't show up on your profile, do they?

They don't :P

One suggestion, I notice from your profile that you haven't logged your DNFs, I would suggest you do as you'll have quite a laugh when you look back in a year or so's time to see your story.

DNFs don't show up on your profile, do they?

They don't :P

But they should. they are just as important as a find. IMHO

Well I can truly say that I'm impressed ;) . After only a day, so many posts offering advice. Thanks to everybody for the help and advice given.

We didn't get chance to go out this weekend, too much to do at home, and my GPS has yet to arrive. But, next weekend is looking good! So, if any of this kind bunch fancy showing us the ropes, drop us a line!

Hi Steve & Wee Matthew and welcome to geocaching...

I live not far from Reading and would be very happy to do a few caches with you - once you get going you will realise that a lot of the time you have "the eye" to spot them.

It's also great to share the experience too so feel free to e-mail me and we can sort something out.

Cheers and enjoy.

Laughalot ;)

Edited by Laughalot

Welcome to the addictive world of geocaching!!

I'm so glad that your initial experiences haven't put you off - you sound as keen as I was when I heard about geocaching (in fact I went home and ordered a GPS that very night!). I also have a little lad - he's 5 next month and he has accompanied me on about 95% of the caches I have done. To be honest I can't remember how we used to spend our weekends before discovering geocaching in April this year! We have visited so many amazing places that we would never have known about if it wasn't for geocaching, and have developed a whole new social network!

Hope your GPS arrives soon and good luck - it really is an incredible feeling when yoy find your first one!!

Well, my GPS arrived (B&W Vista) and we met up with CryptiK Souls Crew this morning for a little guidance. I can proudly say that we found 2 traditional caches and 1 microcache and Matthew was well chuffed! :D

Our thanks to everyone who helped us get off the mark, and especially to Micheal and Cloe who showed us the way!

Many more to go! :blink: