New To The Sport

barnabasbenn

I have found 3 caches so far without a GPSr, okay one was marked by a bouy and in a sunken airplane but I didnt use a GPSr to find it. The other two I used the MAPQUEST map off the cache page, so it can be done. There is one cacher that has like 1000 findes without a GPSr so it is very doable. Now you wondering you just spent $100.00 for a GPSr. LOL

cheers

Buy that PERFECT gift for your wife.

Tell her what it is, or better yet, show her.

State, kindly but firmly, that she CANNOT have it, use it, hold it or play with it until Christmas.

Grab the GPSr, tell your wife that you changed your mind.

Go geocaching.

Your head won't explode!!!

<_<

I take my GPS along, but frankly, I use the MapSource software to find the coordinates & that usually suffices. It gets us to the area at least. Then we can begin searching around that area.

But, yeah, you'll be having great fun once you really get cookin' with the GPS.

FluteLlama in California

Buy that PERFECT gift for your wife.

Tell her what it is, or better yet, show her.

State, kindly but firmly, that she CANNOT have it, use it, hold it or play with it until Christmas.

Grab the GPSr, tell your wife that you changed your mind.

Go geocaching.

Your head won't explode!!!

:blink:

Good call! :(

THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION, AND MY OPINION ONLY. Well, maybe someone shares my opinion, but I claimed them first. I think. Uhhh, where was I? Oh, yeah...

I'll give my advice, which is likely a rehash of what everyone else has said already:

(for perspective, I am a very happy Legend owner)

1) Bring a real compass. The Legend has a 'direction finder' which works when you move, but when stopped, it doesn't know where you are facing. The Legend has a number available in one of the fields called a bearing number. Use this number with your real compass. You should only have to do this when you are close to the cache, say 50 feet or less.

2) Buy MapSource TOPO. These are (limited) 1:100k topographical maps that can be downloaded to your Legend. I use them (at the advice of Briansnat) and they have been invaluable. Much better street info than the base maps (though not as good as dedicated street map software), and much better terrain information.

3) FRESH Spare batteries. And ALWAYS dispose of used ones upon returning home. I once changed out batteries and left them in my pack. On the next outing I saw them and thought they were new... and wouldn't you know it - the batteries I had died and I replaced them with... dead batteries. B)

4) Always always always mark your parking spot as a waypoint. Not a big deal on the short runs, but longer hikes, or convoluted trails systems - well worth the 5 seconds of button pressing.

5) Proper gear - Water, good hiking boots/shoes, deet, etc. Whatever your local environment calls for, have it. It'll make your experience much more enjoyable.

Some NICE things to do, but not really required:

1) Always appropriately log your visits. There are several schools of thought on this, I'll give you mine. A "Did Not Fin" or "DNF" log means you looked for the cache, but did not find it for whatever reason. Writing a DNF allows the cache hider to know there may be a problem with their cache and a check-up is needed, and also allows time-strapped cachers (such as myself) consider passing on that cache that particular day, based on your description.

A "Found" log is just that - you found it, signed the log (or whatever the cache required). it is a very good idea to comment on teh condition of the cache (IE dry, a bit wet, overstuffed) etc. Helpful for both hiders and finder. Also nice is to describe your visit. Many owners like to hear about your adventure they created.

A "Should Be Archived" log should be used sparingly. If you really think the cache is destroyed or missing, contact teh owner via email, if possible. If they do not respond, an SBA log may be appropriate, especially if there is a new danger that was not present when the cache was first hidden.

Gone back to the cache for a good time/drop off a travel bug? Just a "note" is fine... no sense logging it as found twice.

Those are things I consider VERY important. Now for some nice things to do, but not critical:

1) Update the firmware in the Legend. Unless you have a compelling reason not to, go to the Support section of Garmins website and download their latest software update to the legend. (Assuming yours isn't already).

2) Consider going 'paperless' - this means getting an El Cheapo Palm or PocketPC device and upload cache pages into a program like Cachemate. This allows you to store MANY MANY cache pages in the palm of your hand, rather than printing out reams of paper. Makes for great spontaneous outings.

3) Most important, IMO, become a Premium Member. A yearly fee is only $30, and they now take credit card payments, rather than just PayPal or checks. that $30 gives you access to PocketQueries - a way to download up to 500 cache descriptions in a single file (useful for paperless caching) and otehr features. To see what is available, log in to your account from the main page, check your 'profile' and look for Member Features or something similarly worded. That will give official information about membership bennies.

Last, but most certainly not least - The forums, while incredibly useful & often entertaining, are not geocaching. Many many members never even visit the forums. There are times when you might feel slighted by another member or Groundspeak volunteer due to differences in viewpoint. Don't take it personally. People are sometimes hard to understand when text is the only clue to go by. By all means, participate (and welcome, by the way) in the forums. Just remember if it gets too 'hot' in here, there's a whole lotta nature and fresh air out there... (said the computer geek).

Welcome to the addiction of Geocaching! let us know how your adventures turn out!

"Avatar". All you have to do is find an appropriate image (I *THINK* in bitmap (or .BMP) format) and upload it to your profile page. You get to that by logging in to the main geocaching.com page (not the forums) and opening your profile. There is a button towards the lower half of the profile section for uploading your avatar. Simply follow the instructions, THEN IMMEDIATELY from there go into the forums. If you simply log out and come to the forums later, the forums won't know you made the change. So make the change and immediately come to the forums. Should show right up for you!

Now would be a great time to review the FAQs and helpful tips provided here and elsewhere. I'm at the mercy of a friend with a GPSr presently, so I've had plenty of time to learn about cache-in-trash-out, cache cloggers, what to put in one's caching pack and other geocaching etiquette. Read on!