Be Paranoid, Slighty Concerned, Or Just Ignore It?

Sparrowhawk

Wierd. In this cache near Thousand Oaks, CA, there are some comments in the logs about a shovel laying around and a mysterious mound of fresh dirt probably big enough for a body.

My first reaction: "errrr... this needs to be reported to the authorities, just to make sure."

Second reaction; "I'm really being paranoid here."

I'm going for my third reaction: Ask you guys. :(

What would you decide to do if you found such a thing along a hiking trail?

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling the authorities and letting them know there's a creepy, gravelike mound along a hiking trail, that people are starting to freak out about. Hey, if someone starts digging it up out of curiosity, they may disturb evidence, right? I'm sure the cops would be happy to come check it out.

I vote paranoid.

Last year New Years morning I'm hiking with my family on a local fire road near a public park. A 1/2 mile out, in the middle of the dirt road, two yahoos are digging a hole, a big hole, to get quartz crystals.

Strange? Yes

Illegal? Its gotta be.

Reportable? But who's really gonna listen?

edit: he said a mound of dirt. oh. I still think worrywart

Edited by Dan-oh

Huh. I'm in oregon... I could just as easily contact some authority down there just for the heck of it, but maybe it would be better for a local to do it?

(EDIT)

Never mind... I'd have no clue which local police to contact anyway. Made a note on the cache page, and i'll leave it at that.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Strange, I just got an email of this log a few days ago. Since I haven't gone there to see it, I'll leave it up to the finder to report if he really feels suspicious.

I don't think that someone would leave a shovel around after just burying a body. I've seen alot of these holes and mounds in the woods along the trails and often wondered what they were until I saw some kids performing stunts on their bicycles at one of the sites.

What would you decide to do if you found such a thing along a hiking trail?

Guessimate the size, maybe depth (though kinda hard), and probably drop a call to the park/trail manager. If I really thought it was a body then I would contact the police too. I wouldn't do that at first because they probably have more important things then to try and figure how who buried their pet cat or was digging up a sapling to transplant (illegal proably, but whos going to waste time on that?) or any of the other 'stupid' reasons to have dug a hole there.

I would report something like that to law enforcement. Let them make the decision what, if anything, to do. They are in the best position to make that call. It might tie in with someone's disapperance or some other kind of criminal activity. I would give the coords to them as well.

I vote paranoid.

Last year New Years morning I'm hiking with my family on a local fire road near a public park.  A 1/2 mile out, in the middle of the dirt road, two yahoos are digging a hole, a big hole, to get quartz crystals. 

Strange? Yes

Illegal?  Its gotta be.

Reportable? But who's really gonna listen?

edit: he said a mound of dirt. oh. I still think worrywart

This example is NOT strange to rockhounders. Illegal? Might be or not, it would depend on the area & who owns the land & if they plan on filling in the hole.

A lot of places known for quartz crystals (or other fun, beautiful stones/gems) have special rules to go by & one major rule is if you dig, then you fill it back in.

So, that is the "perfect example" of why no to go off, running in circles yelling "The sky is falling". Someone just forgot their shovel is all.

Another thought is "campers". If a camper (who is staying in a tent) needs to 'go', he is supposed to dig a hole, & if they are staying in one place for long....it would be a large enough hole for their trash, too.

There must be plenty of other valid reasons for someone to dig a hole.

I wouldn't worry about it....unless I heard about a missing person in the area. Then I might mention it.

I do agree with Dan-oh.....Don't go paranoid on everything. You people do not normally get out in the boonies much do you?? :( Really, most of you need to get a grip & relax. Everything is cool. :(

Shirley~

... and the man says "What are you complaining about? I've got to walk back!"

(Do to the highly questionable taste of that joke, we're only presenting the punch line. For the rest, you're on your own.)  :mad:

What a murder says to his victim that he is going to bury in the woods?

Glad you didn't tell the rest of it :mad:

Actually, it's a good bit worse than that, but close enough.

:mad: I just placed a new cache recently and found a few odd things myself in the area. A broom, a makeshift fishing pole, and ONE SHOE!!! Keep in mind this is on a BEACH! The broom I replaced somewhere else, the fishing pole, I took funny pictures with, and well, the shoe, creeped me out so much I let it be. I also did some CITO here, as there were a bunch of water/Gatorade type bottles scattered about. I kept reminding myself there were a bunch of hurricanes that just went through here, so I tried to attribute it to that. I pretty much have a sense of being creeped out and paranoid whereever I am. But, I also have heard too many stories and have an overly active imagination! :mad: I think it wouldn't hurt to report it, rather be safe than sorry. ;) Edited by goldfishy

As someone who volunteers a lot for the local Metroparks, we see this type of thing fairly regularly. Most of the time it's just kids playing with Dad's shovel. I've heard of cases where someone ditched a deceased family pet. A German Shepard needs a surprisingly large hole. In any case, about 95% of the time it would warrant a minor misdemeanor if cited at all.

Occassionally, it's worse. Usually drug related. The last time it involved a human body around here it was mafia related in the 1970's. Usually the bodies just get dumped somewhere on the ground and covered with leaves and sticks and branches, like a geocache.

Call the park ranger. They'll investigate and take whatever action is needed.