Rechargeable Battery Question

KrazyKrew

I never took the time to buy rechargeables. But I figured I would need to with my GPS as I would be spending a lot of money on Batteries. Well I bought Energizer e2 Lithium and a charger by same brand. Well the 1st Energizers I bought the regular kind last many trips out and many times playing and learning the unit and are still about 1/2 strong. But I charged my rechargeables for 2 days and put them in and in one day out only about maybe 3 hours of battery use I got the low battery signal and unit started to die. Are all rechargeables this quick to die. If not what is a good brand for AA that lasts and holds a strong charge.

the battery package says LONGEST LASTING AA BATTERY IN HIGH TECH DEVICE. Thought I made a good purchase. Not impressed. After 35.00 for charger and batteries I am depressed!

Krazy Krew

The Everedy Lithium batteries that I see in the store are not rechargable. The ones that I do see are Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH).

Double check your package. If you do have Lithium rechargables awesome! But then check your recharger to be sure it's for the Lithum as if you got a NiMH recharger it may not work so well. I'm not sure if lithum takes a higher voltage or what, but most NiMH chargers only claim to do NiMH and NiCAD batteries.

The e2 lithiums are not rechargeable like you said, but I've had the best experience with them. I'm a weekend (4-10) and random (random cache every 5-10 days) cacher and the e2s last me a good solid month. This was before I got my automotive mount w/ cig adapter, so I now expect these batteries to last me even longer. I love them, they're light... last along time and hold a more constant charge (like it matters on a GPS, but still). I'll continue to pay the $10 for 4 of these batteries, they perform too well to switch!

Before spending the money on rechargable batteries check your owners manual for the piece of equipment you're going to use them with.

Different type of batteries have different voltage outputs. NiMH batteries are about 1.2 volts per battery. Alkaline are about 1.5 volts per battery. (AA and AAA) If you put NiMH batteries in a piece of equipment that wasn't designed for the lower voltage if might not work, or you get an apparent short battery life. :D

Edited to change font of blue text.

Edited by Byron & Anne
Before spending the money on rechargable batteries check your owners manual for the piece of equipment you're going to use them with.

Different type of batteries have different voltage outputs. NiMH batteries are about 1.2 volts per battery. Alkaline are about 1.5 volts per battery. (AA and AAA) If you put NiMH batteries in a piece of equipment that wasn't designed for the lower voltage if might not work, or you get an apparent short battery life. :unsure:

And vice versa. My digital camera specifically says DON'T use alkalines, to use NiMH.....I'd imagine the higher voltage of the alkalines would fry the camera that was designed for the lower voltage of NiMH batteries.

actually, the camera manuf. recommends NiMH because the power drop slope is a lot more gradual than an Alkaline. An Alk has more volatge for decent period of time, but when they start to drop, they go quick. The NiMH doesn't have the same max power, but it stays at a more level reading longer, and takes longer to drop down. just to put it out there lol. I personally use (when I use em) the new IC3 batteries (they charge in 15 mins) and are I think a 2100 or so rating.

There is not a handheld GPS out there that will not go a whole day on a set of rechageables. Toss an extra set of batteries in your caching bag and you won't ever have to worry about losing power.

One thing I have done in the past few years is to do my best to buy small electronics that use AA batteries only. With about 20-30 rechargables around my home, I always have plenty of power and if I am on the trail and need extra batteries, I can scavenge them from a device not being used at the time.

Alkaline batteries are best left in a flashlight that rarely gets used and needs to work if I try to use it 3 years from now. . . .

Edited by YuccaPatrol

Lithiums do last longer unused, but alkalines will last for a few years, while NiMH batteries will self-discharge after a few weeks. The premium you pay for lithiums over alkalines may be worth it, but I'm not completely convinced, unless you really plan to leave that flashlight unattended for several years.

In my Garmin 60CS, I always use NiMH batteries. My GPS unit usually pulse a bip after 4 hours on continual use. Then I replace the batteries. I am satisfied with that. I put my unit under my coat and use an external antenna, most of the time, for the gain of accuracy.

Jacques

The battery Indicator in the 60C is a 4 bar indicator, and you should really run the batteries down before replacing them. Sounds about right for the indicator to go from 4 full bars down to 3 bars in only 4 hours of continuous use.

If you want to have something lying around ignored for years, and then have reliable light when you need it, you might want to look into one of the 'shake' lights. They don't use batteries at all, they just use movement to generate power; you shake it for 30 seconds or so and get a few minutes of light. You can get one for about the price of a couple of sets of lithiums.

Different type of batteries have different voltage outputs. NiMH batteries are about 1.2 volts per battery. Alkaline are about 1.5 volts per battery. (AA and AAA) If you put NiMH batteries in a piece of equipment that wasn't designed for the lower voltage if might not work, or you get an apparent short battery life.  ;)

And vice versa. My digital camera specifically says DON'T use alkalines, to use NiMH.....I'd imagine the higher voltage of the alkalines would fry the camera that was designed for the lower voltage of NiMH batteries.

FYI most Garmin units have a menu item that allows you to specify which type of batteries you have installed.

I am using a Garmin 60CS with NIMH 2100's. I am also using the MAHA charger. This charger completely discharges the batteries before recharging them. This maximizes that charge in the batteries. This combination gives my GPS a life that exceeds 20 hours. I keep WAAS off and turn the compass off until I really need it. I don't know how much this extends the battery life, but I am sure it is significant. I have long since paid for the charger with the savings in batteries.

:D

What are the differences a person should consider among rechargable Alkaline, NiMH, NiCad or Lithium batteries for use in an Etrex Vista GPSr?

Rechargeable alkalines can be significantly cheaper to use than regular alkaline cells, but suffer from relatively few recharge cycles compared to other rechargeables. If allowed to discharge fully then they won't hold as much of a charge on subsequent cycles. Usually they only hold a reasonable charge for about 20 - 50 cycles.

NiCd cells can be recharged up to 1000 times, but have a limited capacity (under 1000 mA-hrs) and have almost completely been replaced in the market by NiMH cells. NiCd cells self-discharge faster than alkaline, but not as fast as NiMH.

NiMH are the most commonly used rechargeables for GPS receivers. They can be recharged hundreds of times and provide high capacities (up to 2400 mA-hrs) so the run time per charge is at least equal to what you can get from good single-use alkaline cells. One drawback is that they self-discharge fairly fast so they'll lose about 30% of their capacity after just sitting for a month (the rate is also highly dependent on the storage temperature). It's recommended that you charge them shortly before use to get the maximum performance.

Rechargeable Lithium ion cells have a chemistry that provides a much higher voltage (over 3V as compared to 1.5 V for alkaline and 1.2 V for NiCd and NiMH). Therefore they can't be directly substituted for other AA cells. One work-around is to make them in a shape that resembles a pair of side-by-side AA cells and this is the RCR-V3 type of Li+ cell. [Two 1.5V AA cells = One 3V RCR-3V] These look very promising with high capacity, low self-discharge rate, and good low-temperature performance. But they don't work in all devices that take AA cells depending on the exact shape of the battery compartment and they require a special type of charger. I haven't tried these yet in my GPS receiver and don't know for sure if they fit properly in the eTrex series.

[Note that the Eveready Lithium AA cells have a completely different chemistry that gives about 1.6V and is *not* rechargeable.]

:D If anyone is interested, I was visiting the local Wally Mart the other day, and while waiting for my wife to finish shopping I strooled over to the sports section and lo and behold they have in their display case a battery charger with four NiMH batteries made by Garmin. Now the salesman wasn't around so I could see them but, (Garmin) there in the market to compete with the rest. Despite what their literature says about using rechargable batteries. :D

I recently purchased some 2200 mAH NiMH rechargeables from Wal-Mart (basically generics) and a charger for considerably less than their brand name counterparts. The package came with both a AC plug and a Cig. adapter plug. So far I have no complaints about the performance in my etrex legend compared to regular alkalines. Besides, for the money I save in the long run, I'm content to get slightly shorter run times out of the rechargeables (a spare set in a backpack only weighs a few ounces anyway).

both my Magellan and my Garmin have settinging in the unit for the type of battery you are using - make sure if you are set for NMHi batteries if you are using them.

Really? What kind of Magellan do you have? I've never seen a screen on any of my Magellans (MeriPlat, STPro, STColor) that allowed me to specify that. I have the latest firmware installed.

--Marky

My sportrax eats up the recharables. I get little time compared to you guys. Like 2-3 hours. The true test will be when I use the same ones with the same charger in my new 60cs. I hope they last longer. Will see.

Also, a lot of batteries rate their rate as 1800, 2000,2300. However under use and a few uses, they don't hold onto that rate. Of course you can get the 2300's or the highest and if they don't hold it, you hope they do better then the competition. However some cheap batteries like radio shack won't hold their rating long. I use some (since I had to buy some on vacation in a pinch). I do by the new energizers, however don't buy the ones included with the charger combo because the include the lower rated batteries (even the 1800's) so look over the packaging carefully.

I did get some industrial unlabeled sonys (all green) and they were something like 2000, but that still outperform the 2300 energizers. They all seem to work ok in my dig camera so I am not sure why I get the low run time. And I do the deplete option often on the charger too.

Most chargers have that fold out ac plug which has been problematical at best. I mean junk... Still like the quickest charge since I use the converter in the car to charge them on trips (a moose gift).

stuff

tom