Logging Own Caches As "found It"

Oleg

I noticed that many cachers log as "Found it" their own caches. I think this is not honest, although it improves cacher's stats. I would suggest to add a check for logs, to forbid a cacher reporting findings for their own hidden caches.

Don't forget some people adopt caches that others have set.

Also, don't forget that some people choose found it instead of a note, by mistake.

Finally, lighten up, who are they cheating?... not you. It's no big deal, and there are no prizes (none that I am aware of anyway). :P

There are some cases where this would be acceptable (i.e., locationless, event caches). I recently moved an archived cache to a new location and gave the owner the new coordinates (I had the owners permission to do so). She had to find it just like anyone else so I told her I thought it would be OK if she posted a smiley. I left a note on the archived cache page telling others of the situation.

I turns out she decided to create a new cache page instead updating the old one which rather left me with a moral dilemma. Should I post a find on a cache I hid for someone else? I decided to wait a few days for others to get a chance to get the FTF. After about 4-5 people logged their finds I went back out the cache site to sign the log. My primary reason for logging the find was getting it out of my pocket queries. Getting a smiley reward for recycling geo-litter was a factor.

Since the paper logbook is the same as the old cache, there are many cases where people have signed it 2 times (one for the old and one for the recycled cache).

Therefore, it all depends on the situation and ultimately it’s up to the cache owner to make their own rules…

Now someone needs to start a thread about logging multiple finds on a single cache (there has got to be one already). Is this worse than logging finds your own cache? What if the owner tells you can log 2, 3, 4, 5+ finds? Hummm… What if someone went around logging archived caches where the owner is no longer an active member of geocaching.com? One could probably find cache where the owners’ email was no longer valid and post 10,000 finds. Who would be responsible for policing that? (p.s. those are rhetorical questions :) ).

According to my opinion can you log your own EVENT caches*, but not other kind of own caches.

*Event caches... You log that you were attending (CITO-event) or that you found it (event). But the meaning of the log is to say: I was there. And as the organizer were you there.

subterranean: :)

Hmm, I've logged DNFs on my own caches before. Should I be able to log a Found when I find the cache eventually (because it got moved)? Maybe it should just say "Visited". That way all it's saying is that the cache is there. Actually, there have been quite a few occasions where I haven't been able to find a cache that I've found before. Maybe I do have Alzheimer's.

According to my opinion can you log your own EVENT caches*, but not other kind of own caches.

*Event caches... You log that you were attending (CITO-event) or that you found it (event). But the meaning of the log is to say: I was there. And as the organizer were you there.

I didn't log a find to the event I hosted. I thought it was obvious that I was there, since I was the organizer. Also, if you think it credit-wise, I got my credit already for 'hiding' i.e. organizing/hosting it.

What about event caches?

I didn't log attending my own Event cache, as I treated it the same as any other cache. "Oh, I wonder where the log book is? Oh here it is, in my pocket".

Having said that, if Event organisers usually log their own Event caches as "Found", then I'll go with the majority.

I looked at the previous events before we started, and after we started geocaching (and before our own first event), and there did the organizers log it. So we continued with that tradition also...

It seems like everybody has their own opinion about everything. We were first not allowed to drop off travel bugs on an event cache page, an event we were attending (not hosting). The event owner said that bugs had nothing to do on events. Finally he agreed that we could drop them off there, and I think it was like 30-40 bugs that were traded at the event :P

So... I think everybody has their own rules and opinions.. And it is just a game by the way :P

I think everybody has their own rules and opinions..

I think the limit of rules is based on what is technically allowed here on gc.com.

Regardless of what I prefer, gc.com decides what should or shouldn't be allowed on thier site. It's pretty clear that they don't think there is enough of a negative impact that would require restricting logging beyond the current set up.

(Right hand raised)

I choose not to do some things that are allowed, but I won't condem others for doing it. And when I think someone is 'abusing' the system, I'll keep it to myself. (fingers crossed behind back)

What about event caches?

I didn't log attending my own Event cache, as I treated it the same as any other cache. "Oh, I wonder where the log book is? Oh here it is, in my pocket".

Having said that, if Event organisers usually log their own Event caches as "Found", then I'll go with the majority.

I log my own CITO events as found. During the first one I organized, I discussed it with the local geocachers, and the feeling was, since you put as much or more work in attending the event, than organizing it was fine to log as found.

That said, if I ever host a pizza party style event, I'll probably just log it as a note. I mean there's not much to those, I selected the location, so there's nothing for me to find, and how much work is eating pizza?

I don't think you should log your own caches, but then again, I dont think you should log ANY cache more than once -- except under certain guidelines that allow it (some of which have been mentioned here), or under extreme special circumstances. It contradicts the whole idea of the game IMO.

"It's only a game" and "Play by your own rules" are excuses in attempt to legitimise cheating. "Playing by your own rules" is not meant as it seems to be taken by some. There are IMO, still unwritten common sense honourable rules that "should" be adhered to.

Imagine for a moment -- "IF" this sport were an "official" sport, or to go to an extreme, an international olympic type competition; would this sort of personal score padding be allowed? Not in the slightest.

Yes, I know it's not official or olympic, I was only asking that one use their gift of rational thought for a moment to see what may be termed as an obscure point. Redundant to some, and even still irrelevant to others.

I have stirred this pot once before in "Logging smilies when you should post a note." I truly believe it is an arguement that has no end or resolution. There will always be two sides and they will never agree.

So, in the end, do as you please until there are real rules that prevent cheating.

PJ - poop-disturber extraordinaire!!!

"Logged my 112th "find" on GCbogus since I once again drove past it on my way to town." :P

Edited by Prairie Jeepin
Hmm, I've logged DNFs on my own caches before.

If you can't find your own cache, shouldn't you "temporarily disable" it and post a note as to why? Then un-disable (re-enable?, able?, whatever) it once you found it? :P

I don't use PQ's, so I'm not sure, but don't they not list DNF logs?

PQs do show DNF.

I have also made DNF on our own caches, and temporary disabled it.