Lazy Cachers Need Shortcut To Glory ...

Sandstorm

Some previous “friends” and Geomuggles who we kindly introduced to caching are now in danger of overtaking us in number of finds. ;) You can imagine the disgrace this will bring on the Sandstorm family. <_< So I need some ideas to help to clock up a large number of finds real quick.

Apart from outright cheating, does anyone have any crafty suggestions?

Do you know any areas where there are large groups of caches close together?

Does anyone have a cute system for locating rich seams for easy cache mining?

All (legal) ideas considered. :wacko:

Sandstorm

- If you want crafty then I might suggest SimplyPaul??? :wacko:

Now just what do you mean by *that*?! ;)

I'd say Oxford and 10 miles around it holds 80+ caches now and has great potential for a mad weekend caching-orgy the likes of which the world has never seen! London's fine but many park caches are in tricky-to-get-to locations when they're busy; Which means night or rubbish-weather caching. I know which crafty old me would do <_<

SP

if I was you, I'd have a week off work and spend the time caching from Oxford, via Buckinghamshire, then to central London. This should yield a fairly easy 150+ caches in 7 days. I've done Oxford, Bucks, and London,and had more success in Oxford than anywhere else. When I return to London, I will go to the parks caches at first light.

Hard work, but if you want to stay ahead of your friends ;)

Usually it`s all about preparation, get the latest pocket queries, load them into GSAK, export to Memory Map, and look to see where there are area`s of caches, and do a list of a round trip. Always make a bigger list than you need, then you can deviate from the path if you are getting tired, or have a few DNFs.

London is okay if you like looking for virtual or micros, very few traditional caches in the centre. Usually involve magnets of some kind, and don`t expect to get a satellite fix, only in the parks.

Pengy

As others have said Oxford is a great place for knocking up those numbers, but unfortunately not particularly car friendly. If you want to make the absolute most out of your time in Oxford I would recommend that you bring cycles if you can.

If you do decide on Oxford send us an email and perhaps we can meet up.

Some single day suggestions

1. Woodsmokes multi around Southsea, you'll get about 10 done in an afternoons cycling.

2. I've not done it yet but there are a string of 14 along the Kennet and Avon Canal between Hungerford and Newbury - I imagine cycling will be a good idea here as well.

3. Go through the location less caches - see my total soar when I eventually get a digital camera.

4. Looking at your GUK map, head over to Winchester, you can't help but stumble over them. Use GUK's interactive map to identify dense areas fast. Actually, this is the best tip by a long way, ignore my others, use 'advanced search' to ensure you only download a few waypoints. say, Winchester and 10mi radius. If you try to do the whole country it'll take an age to download.

5. Be selective about multi's if it's a numbers game.

6. If you want to be sneaky, start doing trigpoints as well, but don't tell your friends until you've done about 50. ;) Trigpointing UK and Geocache UK are related so you can show your trigpoint finds as well.

7 GC.com has a search facility for nearby caches to the one you are looking at.

Good Luck - hmmm, I'm on 92, maybe I should keep quiet, although I have done about 20 trigs.

If you want the numbers you have to forget scenery, especially viewed from the likes of a ferry, and get yourself a chauffeur. This should be a doctor (with an 'on call' sign) or, even better an off duty ambulance driver with wagon).

I speak not from experience you understand but hypothetically. I once asked my wife if she would drive me around. She had the biggest laugh she'd had for years.

Aisledog

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We don’t have the stomach for London with the kids in tow – might have to go knock a few of those off when I have an “important meeting” in town (all meetings in London must be “important” don’t you think?)

Numerous contributions from cachers north of the border, who momentarily hijacked this thread for a bit of inter clan bickering. It’s long day out from Poole … (that’s on the bottom of the big lump attached just below Embra and Glasgae). BTW We have done Bute – in days of old – BGC.

Hungerford / Newbury – looks good – cycling down that canal tow path. Think we’ll save it for better weather.

Oxford could be in with a chance on Saturday – and perhaps Winchester on Sunday. If the weather’s good we’ll go flying through our first ton.

Thanks for the ideas. :P:D:P

Sandstorm

..... day out from Poole …

There are 30 caches within 10 miles of Exeter as well, which isn't all that far from Poole. Winchester is where I'll be heading for a monster attempt one day though (sorry Haggis Hunter, I just let it out the bag!). Good choice.

I'd add my recommendation for Exeter area as well, the scenery is brilliant and makes for a really enjoyable time. I did two in Exmouth today and the views and locations were superb. I did ponder doing a few in Woodbury area, but decided i should head back home to Southampton... next time.

Obviously Stuey wouldn't mention it, but his Bridges series are a good start, interesting as well as a getting the first 5 under your belt pretty quickly. (Unless you get the full tour and history from a member the local peripetetic drinking community :P )

Well we didn't make Oxford this weekend - but we will do soon.

We did manage to clear up a few locally and take a few off the list in Winchester. Going through the first 100 on a viaduct by the M3 is a moment to remember. :D:D:D Now the boys are a little older and better able to cope with more walking hopefully we'll make the second 100 in less than the 26 months the first 100 took. :D Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sandstorm