Geocacher's Library

LthrWrk

OK.. cannot be out everyday looking for caches.. weather.. sick.. appointments.. etc can keep you out of the hunt.

What do you consider 'must-haves' in your library. Regardless of experience level.

Any one particular resource that you could not do without?

Charles

Mount Vernon, WA

Here is a good one:

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel

John Harrison's discovery that made it possible to measure longitude makes him a founding father of geocaching since he made it possible to know one's longitude as well as latitude :)

As far as a geocaching library?

While some above are correct in my mind, it is just a simple process of punching in numbers and then following the dotted line, I think it's the exploration part that gets to me.

Longitude is a great one, especially since most people don't know just how tough a mystery that was to figure out. Anything by John Krakeaur, but Into the Wild is definitely my favorite. Peter Jenkin's Walk Across America is a solid read for the exploration minded.

Specifically for geocaching though, we've got the topo maps which I love pouring over, trailhead guides and biking routes which come on different maps in our area, as well as DeLormes Atlas and Gazateer. We also do a lot of browsing on gc.com as well as the forums.

Thanks for the info. Seems that nearly everything I would read at home is available on the net. Including the owners manual for the GPSr and toys I aint got in the mail yet.

I am also finding that many different 'state' geocaching groups have valuable tidbits. Lots of great information scattered about.

More than a few posts with goode humor..... thanks .

K.. enuff this thread ..

Charles

Mt Vernon WA