Magnets

crosschk

Rip them out of old harddrives (there's two in each one and they are definately strong), which you can acquire:

1) From your local Ma&Pa computer store. They usually have older 1/2/4/6GB drives either dead or never to be used again.

2) From the Techs at work.

3) From your local computer recycler.

4) From the drives left in the system you see in your neighbours garbage.

etc

Thorin

Rip them out of old harddrives (there's two in each one and they are definately strong), which you can acquire:

1) From your local Ma&Pa computer store. They usually have older 1/2/4/6GB drives either dead or never to be used again.

2) From the Techs at work.

3) From your local computer recycler.

4) From the drives left in the system you see in your neighbours garbage.

etc

Thorin

Thats funny, I work in the IT dept and never thought of it B)

I'm such a user!!!

:o

I get mine from a company named Forcefield.

I agree that the rare earth magnets are the way to go--but they are very brittle. Pull two apart and let them snap together (or if they pull themselves out of your hands!) and they'll break. The solution is to get the epoxy coated ones--they're tougher, and they are more glue-friendly.

The hard drive magnets are the way to go. It is tough getting them out but worth it.

Just gotta have the right tools. Which these days basically means:

1 Flat/Slot screw driver

1 Phillips screw driver

2 or 3 smaller sized Torx (I'll get the actual 'usual' sizes when I get home tonight and list them).

Thorin

The hard drive magnets are the way to go.  It is tough getting them out but worth it.

Just gotta have the right tools. Which these days basically means:

1 Flat/Slot screw driver

1 Phillips screw driver

2 or 3 smaller sized Torx (I'll get the actual 'usual' sizes when I get home tonight and list them).

Thorin

Looks like most of the stuff is T10 and smaller, I originally went with a T10,9,8,7 set but then I actually encountered a few that required T6 and T5 (frickin small!), though they were for complete dissembly so you can probably do without them if you just want magnets.

I get mine from a company named Forcefield.

I agree that the rare earth magnets are the way to go--but they are very brittle. Pull two apart and let them snap together (or if they pull themselves out of your hands!) and they'll break. The solution is to get the epoxy coated ones--they're tougher, and they are more glue-friendly.

I haven't broken one yet. I've had one or two get a chip in it, but they seem pretty solid.

And as someone else here mentioned, you can place them inside your container, negating the need for an adhesive. I put one inside the lid of a decon box, filled it with the usual cache stuff and stuck it to my front door. It stayed put even with all the jarring of the door opening and closing. The things are incredibly powerful.

All you need is a little duct tape to keep it in place for when its not attached to something.

Thanx to every one for the help. I ended up going to Lee Valley tools

Get ready LI for the march of the 15000 micros

<_<

After looking at some of the other links, Lee Valley seems to have the best prices.

yes and they have some other neat goodies too -

click on hardware and then look at the other magnet pages - all at reasonable prices.

Where do we get magnets??/ anywhere we can find them! stay away from the ones that come in flexible strips.. they dont gripp so well on painted or rusted surfaces. hardware department of local home improvment ceneter is a good bet.. radio shack has some small rare earth magnets that are extrodinarily strong for thier size... and expensive, too.

Why magnets?? well, mostly because they are handy for urban caching.

Got the magnets this evening and spent about 1/2 hour getting them to attach to the water proof match case I plan on using.

Finally Duct tape worked good :blink:

I got the 1/4 in by 1/10 in

These suckers are very strong. I used 3 of them to hang the matchcase on my door and its not going anyplace.

Thanks again for all the input

Edited for spelling

Edited by crosschk