New Members ,advise On Gps

I bought my Yellow Etrex from Here and it serves me well.

The link takes you to a useful web page " A Beginner's Guide to Buying GPS" with some useful tips.

Oh... and welcome to the highly addictive sport of geocaching!!! ;):blink:;)

Edit: to add welcome!

Edited by Leoness

I started and still have the Gecko 201, same things as the yellow etrex, but smaller and holds more waypoints and routes. Only bad side is that it takes AAA batteries but this isn't a problem if you use rechargeables.

Edit: You can get them for about £80 from ebay or expect to pay about £140 on average from a camping shop.

Edited by Haggis Hunter

Keep an eye on prices at www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

They gave me good advice and service.

I've only had a GPS for about 3 months, but most people use Garmin or Magellan.

Points I looked for.

1) Ability to hold up to 500 waupoints.

2) Link to PC for uploading waypoints

3) Tracking feature - keeps a track of where you have been so you can retrace your steps.

4) Electronic compass - GPS can only point to the waypoint when you are moving. If you stand still and turn around the arrow will not change and will be pointing in the wrong direction until you move again. Youcan always spot a cacher without the compass. They have to walk around in small circles as they get near the target :blink:

What I wasn't bothered about.

Mapping facility. Already have a GPS nav system for this on a PDA

Barometric altimeter - but I ended up getting a Garmin Etrex summit as it had electronic compass and it did have altimeter. Only use this facility for fun, drove over the alps and could see a profile of the mountain range.

Garmin has proved to be very rugged, survived a full canoe capsize and 100 metre trip down rapids while switched on and on a lanyard around my neck.

Downside. It does mysteriously switch off every now and then. I have also heard that the glue holding the rubber edge strip fails if it gets hot on a dashboard etc.

Feature I would like that seems to be on Magellan (I've not got one but have heard about them) - waypoint averaging. If setting a cache the co-ordinates vary a little depending on local tree cover, exact position of satellite etc. Using my Garmin if I return to the same spot every day fora week I will get a reading that varies by about 70 ft. But if I average these out I get a useable answer. The magellan will do the averaging for you.

Hope that helps a bit.

Feature I would like that seems to be on Magellan (I've not got one but have heard about them) - waypoint averaging.

My first unit was an old Garmin 12 (very rugged and good unit for geocaching). That model had the 'position averaging' feature which displays a value that reflects the estimated accuracy of the averaged position.

Now with my Magellan Meridian Platinum I have most display screens customised to show the 'estimated position error' (EPE) which helps in judging the error and current GPS signal quality, but I am not sure if this is the same as the garmins position averaging feature.

The basic yellow etrex is what I stared caching with and it suited me fine until I lost it, I now have a garmin 60cs. But the yellow etrex does everything you need. One thing to keep in mind is that it doesnt come with a pc lead in the box, you will have to shell out more money to get one of them. The venture and other models come with one included in the price and you will get a gps unit with better features for not a huge amount more cash.

Keep an eye on ebay for units but watch you dont get stung with import duty if you buy one from a foreign seller. Some of the web shop mentioned do very good prices compared to high street shops.

Cheers

Donnie

ps I hear that garmins after sales service is second to none even once your unit is out of warranty

Welcome to the sport, have only been at it ourselves for five months but it becomes very addictive. :blink:

Can confirm Garmin after sales service is very good. Have an "old" Garmin Emap that lost its UK base map, was well out of warranty, sent back to Garmin and they restored it for nothing. It only took about five days. Sent it somewhere in the UK but don't remember where, Hampshire I think? :blink:

Just to add my "two-pennies worth" get one with a built in compass, has saved me a lot of time.

Also, I noted a comment about Garmin's switching themselves off!!, is this an un-documented feature. Have the old E-map which does it and a much newer 76CS which also does it. :huh:

I believe the trouble with the Etrex range switching themselves off originates in the battery compartment with some batteries not making good contact - mine usually recovers if given a smart slap to the side though sometimes I need to clean the contacts. I believe that Garmin have a small mod available to increase the pressure on the contacts but have never bothered to get it.

All the Etrex range have compasses - the difference in the Vista and Legend is that they switch to an electronic compass when stationary, the others depend on movement to determine direction. The only snag with the electronic compass is that it requires the GPSr to be held completely level.

Edited by John Stead
Feature I would like that seems to be on Magellan (I've not got one but have heard about them) - waypoint averaging.

My first unit was an old Garmin 12 (very rugged and good unit for geocaching). That model had the 'position averaging' feature which displays a value that reflects the estimated accuracy of the averaged position.

Now with my Magellan Meridian Platinum I have most display screens customised to show the 'estimated position error' (EPE) which helps in judging the error and current GPS signal quality, but I am not sure if this is the same as the garmins position averaging feature.

Not the same thing.

All units give an estimate of the current accuracy. This is based on number of satellites visible, signal strength (and quality). It's not on the standard navigation page on Garmins, you have to cycle through to the first page you see on startup that gives sat details.

The waypoint averaging is a different feature, taking a reading of you position every few seconds and then performing a mathematical average. Without that feature, try looking at the co-ords of a stationary GPSr every few minutes for about an hour. I usually find that there is a great variation in the first few minutes as it settles into the signal but still changes a bit every time I look at it.

This is not a fault. Completely normal. Satellites wander a few feet and have to be corrected about once a week. Signals bounce off hills, buildings etc. Anything within view adds extra reflections to the signal that the algorithms have to weed out, but all adds to the 'errors' inherent in the system. So the 'averaging' does a good job of ironing these out.

But back to the thread. For a person starting in the sport, not a significant feature, depending on whether they want to enter at the low end of the price range, or are looking to buy something more towards the mid range. I only added this as they might read it in the product description and wonder what it was and whether it was significant.

For me electronic compass is more important than waypoint averaging, but then I spend more time looking for caches than hiding them.

I believe the trouble with the Etrex range switching themselves off originates in the battery compartment with some batteries not making good contact - mine usually recovers if given a smart slap to the side though sometimes I need to clean the contacts. I believe that Garmin have a small mod available to increase the pressure on the contacts but have never bothered to get it.

All the Etrex range have compasses - the difference in the Vista and Legend is that they switch to an electronic compass when stationary, the others depend on movement to determine direction. The only snag with the electronic compass is that it requires the GPSr to be held completely level.

My unit is 4 months old. Batteries fit well. The problem is worst with rechargables. Rechargables always give less than the 'expected' 1.5 volts, this is normal. They also get hot when used for about an hour continuously and I am seeing the voltage drop even further then. So I guess it just gets too low and dies.

Let it rest for a few minutes and it is fine again for about 30 mins.

The problem was even worse when I was in south of France in about 40 deg heat! But each time it went off I was grateful for the rest.

Not all Etrex have a compass. They all have a pointer that acts like a compass display. But only a few models have a flux gate compass that actually uses the magnetic field. This is useful if you have to navigate without gps reception, or stand still and get a bearing on a waypoint. You can tell if you have a model with a compass. If you change batteries it will tell you the compass needs to be re-calibrated. Simple job, switch to calibrate page and turn the unit through 720 degs holding it flat.

Not an essential for GC but could be useful. It does eat into the battery life of the unit though.

You can tell if you have a model with a compass. If you change batteries it will tell you the compass needs to be re-calibrated. Simple job, switch to calibrate page and turn the unit through 720 degs holding it flat.

Sorry to disagree but I don't think this is quite right.

My old GPS45 had to be calibrated as you say and as far as I know did not have an electronic compass - my newer Vista never asks to be calibrated and it does have an electronic compass.

On an earlier point the erratic performance of the Etrex units is worse with rechargables - some say they are slightly smaller but I think it is down to the lower voltage, any bad contact is more significant. The other day my Vista started giving widely different readings in a fairly poor reception spot, then flagged up "low battery" - replaced the batteries and presto a good fix right on the cache!

Sorry to disagree but I don't think this is quite right. 

My old GPS45 had to be calibrated as you say and as far as I know did not have an electronic compass - my newer Vista never asks to be calibrated and it does have an electronic compass.

Just to be clear.... in case it looks like I'm taking issue or getting the 'ump... I'm not, <_<:unsure::ph34r:

but just in case anyone is interested, this link is to garmin's eTrex comparison charts and makes it clear which of these has compass, mapping etc etc

Garmin comparison chart.

I remember it took me a while to track it down when I was trying to work out which model I wanted. Not an obvious route from the front page.

I started and still have the Gecko 201, same things as the yellow etrex, but smaller and holds more waypoints and routes. Only bad side is that it takes AAA batteries but this isn't a problem if you use rechargeables.

Edit: You can get them for about £80 from ebay or expect to pay about £140 on average from a camping shop.

Same here, my little 201 has helped me find nearly 200 caches and still going strong. A nice toy for about £100. GPS do seam to have a good deal, infact I just ordered my PDA and Car GPS with Tom Tom from them (Along with a few Travel Bug Dog Tags) <_<

global positioning systems - Geko 201

BTW, welcom to the sport :unsure:

My Etrex Legend has served me well for over 600 caches. I use Ansmann 2200mAh NiMh rechargeables and these too have served me well. They're very slightly longer than some others I've tried and are a very snug fit in the battery compartment. I've never had any problem with the Legend switching its self off whilst using them. I can easily get a full days caching from one set. The Legend has no electronic compass but I've never found that a problem either as I always carry a 'proper' one with me anyway.

The only time I revert to my 'back-up' GPSIII is for setting caches. I make use of the 'averaging' feature and will leave it in position for anything up to ten minutes which gives me the average of some 600 separate readings. The number of cache logs I receive that say the co-ords are 'spot-on' obviously make this worthwhile.

The downside is that it is susceptible to loosing signal under very heavy tree cover.