Younger Cachers

usb_dude

I would like to become a Premium Member, but it is impossible for me (and I assume other Younger Cachers) to find a way of paying (ie. 12 year old people generally don't have credit cards, PayPal accounts, cheque books etc.)

While browsing around the internet - I have found a "Credit Card for Teenagers" called a SplashPlastic card.

It is a card which is topped up like a Pay&Go mobile phone. You take it to your newsagents/supermarket etc. and you get 'balance' on the card.

I was wondering if GC.com could introduce this service where you pay the $30 p/year? [Note: the currency of the card is £, so it would not work for any other country than UK]

If this is a silly idea, which it probably is, just tell me and I will go and hide in the corner.

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

From my experience prepaid credit cards are a ripoff. The ones I've found at local stores. You have to pay $15 activation fee, just to get one then you have to pay to have money put on it, then every time you add more money, you get charged five bucks.

I'm fourteen, and I don't have a credit card.

But my dad was nice enough to use his paypal account (which is connected to his credit card) to get me a year of membership. I just paid him $30 and he paid fro my membership. Quick and simple...

It's not a silly idea. I do know that Geocaching.com is working on setting up the ability to accept credit cards. I just don't know when that will happen.

For now I'd suggest that you work with your parents. I'd be very upset if one of my kids sent money to an online website with out checking with me first.

I would like to become a Premium Member, but it is impossible for me (and I assume other Younger Cachers) to find a way of paying (ie. 12 year old people generally don't have credit cards, PayPal accounts, cheque books etc.)

While browsing around the internet - I have found a "Credit Card for Teenagers" called a SplashPlastic card.

It is a card which is topped up like a Pay&Go mobile phone. You take it to your newsagents/supermarket etc. and you get 'balance' on the card.

I was wondering if GC.com could introduce this service where you pay the $30 p/year? [Note: the currency of the card is £, so it would not work for any other country than UK]

If this is a silly idea, which it probably is, just tell me and I will go and hide in the corner.

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

Joe,

When you log 50 finds, I'll pay your membership. Good hunting! :rolleyes:

El Diablo

You should be able to get an international money order from a bank. All you would need is cold, hard cache to buy one, and send it by mail. Check first to see if GC would accept that as payment, but I would think that they would.

yes money orders or checks are accepted. PLEASE inclube your user name in your letter.

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

Joe,

El Diablo

Scrap all the silly stuff and arguing that goes on around here, foks like you make this sport killer. I wish I wasn't an inch away from bankruptcy, or I'd add my $0.02 in (literally!)

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

Joe,

El Diablo

El Diablo -- you are awesome!

Bec

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

Joe,

El Diablo

Why such a generous offer El Diablo, since I am fifteen could this work for me?

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

Joe,

El Diablo

can you pay mine...im 14 and had to pay out of my own pocket...ive got 45 so far!!! :unsure:

I guess that the difference to me is not the age but whether the person used their own GPS unit or at least goes caching without waiting for their parents to show them the cache, then all line up and sign the log. A young person who is truely into geocaching on his own or as part of a team and not a tag along just cause their parents think it is a good family outing, is someone I would contribute to helping pay their membership. How to tell the difference I don't know.

I'm in a world all by my lonesome...If I want to go to a cache...I either ride my bike (it happens alot) or I beg my mom to take me...even then she just stays in the car...I am truly on my own out there...but i do have a pretty good friend who goes but he has all the ones that i need to find!!!.....I'm always trying to get my friends involved...any way im not begging for handouts i was just trying to be funny :rolleyes:

USB_Dude (aka Joe)

Joe,

El Diablo

Wow ! now THERE's an offer !!

and only 11 more to go!

Hang in there dood -

or - I like the other suggestion - have pops put it on his card at PayPal and pay him back out of all the money you make doing those errands or whatever you gotta do to pay him back!

Edited by CompuCash

Hey there MR. Diablo -

see what you started? Now all these kids that were hiding behind the annomous web site - are coming out of the wood work to claim the same $30.

Nice offer to the usb was a super thoughtful thing to do - wish I could help.

Seems we have quite a few youngstes in our midst - some names I recognize too.

keep up the good work guys!

:unsure::rolleyes:

I'm in a world all by my lonesome...If I want to go to a cache...I either ride my bike (it happens alot) or I beg my mom to take me...even then she just stays in the car...I am truly on my own out there...but i do have a pretty good friend who goes but he has all the ones that i need to find!!!.....I'm always trying to get my friends involved...any way im not begging for handouts i was just trying to be funny :rolleyes:

10 points for you cow -

I like the photo on your profile page - did you take it?

my hat is off to you - I had to do a lot on my own and I only had my bike too - did everything on what I could make on my paper route so I respect what you do here.

I see you have hidden some to - good on ya!

you have more caches that I do - and on a bike too! {we won't say anyting about the fact that you've been at it a few more months than I have tho either ]

you should be able to find someone in Stockton to go with you. Too bad you friend had hidden all the caches you need to find - that is an ironic joke!

It's not a silly idea. I do know that Geocaching.com is working on setting up the ability to accept credit cards. I just don't know when that will happen.

For now I'd suggest that you work with your parents. I'd be very upset if one of my kids sent money to an online website with out checking with me first.

I think this is the answer to this "problem".

southdeltan

(here's where i inadvertantly reveal that yes, i too, am a teenager...)

uh... if i remember way back when in an article i read somewhere, there was some sort of program called rocketcash... its a thing where parents directly put money into a credit card that you can spend at the mall or online... kinda different from the prepaids mentioned above. maybe that will help with something...?

but ultimately... i still dont see the need for me to subscribe or anything.... i dont need the ability to instantly download a whole bunch of cache sites, i dont need access to special members-only caches... heck, i need to get a gps first before i can worry about that stuff.... (workin' on it, though.)

Edited by artbegotti

10 points for you cow -

my hat is off to you - I had to do a lot on my own and I only had my bike too - did everything on what I could make on my paper route so I respect what you do here.

you have more caches that I do - and on a bike too! {we won't say anyting about the fact that you've been at it a few more months than I have tho either ]

you should be able to find someone in Stockton to go with you. Too bad you friend had hidden all the caches you need to find - that is an ironic joke!

Yay I got points....no i didnt take the picture...my popped tire count is at 9 on cache adventures...make money babysitting and stuff....a few more months?! I had 4 before this summer and now I have like 23 in a week...and finally, to cover all bases, all the people in stockton have either: quit, got all of them, are very inactive, or just dont stay up with the pace i want!!!!
I'm in a world all by my lonesome...If I want to go to a cache...I either ride my bike (it happens alot) or I beg my mom to take me...even then she just stays in the car...I am truly on my own out there...but i do have a pretty good friend who goes but he has all the ones that i need to find!!!.....I'm always trying to get my friends involved...any way im not begging for handouts i was just trying to be funny :anibad:

10 points for you cow -

Yay I got points....no i didnt take the picture...my popped tire count is at 9 on cache adventures...make money babysitting and stuff....a few more months?! I had 4 before this summer and now I have like 23 in a week...and finally, to cover all bases, all the people in stockton have either: quit, got all of them, are very inactive, or just dont stay up with the pace i want!!!!

ya you get points - but I aughta dock you points on math -

your profile says you hid 7 and found 48

You came here in Dec. last year - I came in June this year - so you have 6 months on me -

I found 46 (two today) hid 13 (have 3 more waiting for approval)

Ahhh... I see - reprieve on the math points - you said you got 23 in a week - didn't mean you only had 27. 23 in a week!? Yikes! that's a lot of biking dood. Sorry to hear about the flat tires tho - hope you care the wrenches and a flat kit. Walking a bike sucks!

So I'm moving on you fast. Shouldn't say that because I am NOT in it for the numbers. I like hiding them as much as finding them.

I'm in a world all by my lonesome...If I want to go to a cache...I either ride my bike (it happens alot) or I beg my mom to take me...even then she just stays in the car...I am truly on my own out there...but i do have a pretty good friend who goes but he has all the ones that i need to find!!!.....I'm always trying to get my friends involved...any way im not begging for handouts i was just trying to be funny :(

wow thats exactly what I have to deal with to get to a cache.

I think Diablo is now wishing he kept schtum! :(

MarcB

I told him at the start "See what you started!"

he it is a pretty good thread - we got to lear who some of our younger members are and what they are doing and the lengths they will go to find a cache.

wish I had a GPS when I was a kid !!!

Joe,

When you log 50 finds, I'll pay your membership. Good hunting! 

El Diablo

...and not even a "thank you" from USB_DUDE!!! :(

good point -

I was going to say he said he was kidding but that was the cow -

I looked through the whole thread and he never even came back -

interesting -

Sorry everyone - My computer died so I haven't been able to come back for a while. I hope that wasn't a problem CompuCash?

Thanks for your offer El Diablo :( But I'll be 30 by the time i've done that many! I'm keepin' on tryin' though!

Edit: I can't spell!

Edited by usb_dude
I think Diablo is now wishing he kept schtum! :(

MarcB

I told him at the start "See what you started!"

he it is a pretty good thread - we got to lear who some of our younger members are and what they are doing and the lengths they will go to find a cache.

wish I had a GPS when I was a kid !!!

On The Topic of lenghts that I've gone to to get a cache is that I've asked my Grandma to take me!!!! I got three and she said she'd had enough!!!

Anyway on the 9 mile bike trip I got to see some of the college campus near us that I've never seen before even though i've been there hundreds of times!!!

Anyway to redo my math.........4 before this summer + 44 This summer= 48 finds

24 finds in last week/7 days = 3= caches a day!!!

Sorry everyone - My computer died so I haven't been able to come back for a while. I hope that wasn't a problem CompuCash?

Thanks for your offer El Diablo ;) But I'll be 30 by the time i've done that many! I'm keepin' on tryin' though!

sorry to hear the system died - ouch!

no not a problem at all - just surprised after I looked back that you had not come back on your own thread - we been talking about you for a while :(

30! naw - look at what the cow did - 3 a day for a week - now THAT is scary - and impressive!

Thanks for your offer El Diablo :( But I'll be 30 by the time i've done that many! I'm keepin' on tryin' though!

You'll be surprised how fast you get there.

El Diablo