Ridiculous

Huh? I can't remember the last time I had to log in on my home computer. Maybe you have cookies disabled or something along those lines. You might want to check your equipment.

yup, what he said-I leave a window open all day, and never have to log in.

I can log off the internet, turn off my computer, not be in the forums for days ( B) ), and whenever I come back, I am already logged in. I am never logged out. :mellow:

I eat, sleep and drink in here.

Same here, no problems.

I used to have a similar problem a while back and it wasn't a cookie issue as far as I know because I made sure that they were set to "allow" for this site and all that fun stuff but I would still be logged out periodically. I don't remember what fixed that, it could have been a format/reinstall but don't remember.

QUOTE (Ambrosia @ Aug 5 2004, 03:12 PM)

I can log off the internet, turn off my computer, not be in the forums for days ( ), and whenever I come back, I am already logged in. I am never logged out.

I eat, sleep and drink in here.

I can reboot and I'm still logged into Geocaching.com, but the Forum requires an additional logon which drops after 10-15 minutes. I'm still logged onto GC.com at this point.

Not to be rude or anything mtn_man this topic is about how we get dropped or booted of the thing and have to login again.

Heh, I thought we covered sitting back and reading before posting in the other thread.

You may want to re-read mtn_man's post as it's a valid suggestion as to why folks may be getting "dropped"

Now say you're sorry to him. B)

He was talking about logging in, we were already logged in. If im wrong then im officially saying im sorry B) .

I hope he accepts your apology then.

The thing is, if you don't log in properly you will get "dropped" even after being logged in so it's a matter of logging correctly by selecting "remember me" so you shouldn't have to re-login.

Hope that helps.

Ummm...SandLizard...since mtnman is one of the MODERATORS of this forum, I'm guessing he knows whether or not he is off-topic?

Not true. He has let his better judgement go before and posted off-topic in threads before. We are all human; it happens. This is not one of those times.

If I read the post right, he was talking about being logged off while trying to post a note. I'm not sure what the time limit is, but I do know if you take to long typing your message you will be kicked out, not logged off.

If You post a reply to the fourms and in the middle of your reply you have to get up and go get another beer and then get distracted when you stop to kiss the cat and pet the wife....you will get kicked out. Actually if you do this, the thread isn't the only thing you'll get kicked out of.

El Diablo

I can shut down my computer, unpplug it, throw it out the window and beat it with a hammer and I'm still logged in.

You guys keep missing the point. He is talking about hitting the reply button to post a note and getting logged off due to inactivity. What is the time limit on this?

El Diablo

I can shut down my computer, unpplug it, throw it out the window and beat it with a hammer and I'm still logged in.

You guys keep missing the point. He is talking about hitting the reply button to post a note and getting logged off due to inactivity. What is the time limit on this?

El Diablo

I know El D. That was a sorry attempt at humor. B)

El Diablo

Ohhh!! Sometimes I'm too serious. Let me go get another beer, and I'd better not be logged off when I come back!

El Diablo

El Diablo

Ohhh!! Sometimes I'm too serious. Let me go get another beer, and I'd better not be logged off when I come back!

El Diablo

Maybe it's me that shouyld get a beer. It might help me be funny. :mellow:

El Diablo

El Diablo

Maybe it's me that shouyld get a beer. It might help me be funny. :mellow:

You two have your beers, I need something stronger so that I can handle reading these posts.

It just occurred to me...It's after 9:30. Shouldn't 13-year-olds be in bed? B)

I hate to tell you this, but it may be 9.40 here, but our dear underaged pim..... I mean friend... here.. . is in California, which should make it dinner time or there abouts.

If I read the post right, he was talking about being logged off while trying to post a note. I'm not sure what the time limit is, but I do know if you take to long typing your message you will be kicked out, not logged off.

If You post a reply to the fourms and in the middle of your reply you have to get up and go get another beer and then get distracted when you stop to kiss the cat and pet the wife....you will get kicked out. Actually if you do this, the thread isn't the only thing you'll get kicked out of.

El Diablo

Nope! At least that doesn't happen to me....I frequently start to post something and stop to switch to another site, or another tab in my browser, and get distracted....I know I've gone a couple of hours with the "reply" window open and half a reply typed, and have never been booted like that in the middle of even my rather lengthy delays in hitting the "submit" button. B)

Hmmm.... who to believe?

The 13yr old who signed up 2 days ago?

Or one of the administrators of this website?

Hmmmmm......

One of the administrators, right?

What do I win? B)

I also never have a problem with staying logged on in the forums or geocaching.com

To actually offer something important to this thread, it'll probably help if you delete all the cookies in your computer and then make sure they're enabled and log back in.

Sometimes (not often) a cookie goes wonky (gets stale? B) ) and causes problems like that.

Yeah, what fly said. You might even want to delete your temporary internet files too. You can do that in IE by going to Tools/Internet Options and then select the General tab. Midway down you have buttons to delete cookies and temporary internet files.

NOTE: this will log you out of every web page you are logged into so you will have to go back and log in on all web pages as you visit them. Deleting temporary internet files can take a while.

There is one more thing you can try too. Go to this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...8&Product=ie600

Go to the "Resolutions" section. Try step 3.

I did a test tonight and clicked to post a message. I let the window sit open for just over an hour. I then clicked to post the message and it went through with no problem and I am still logged in. I think you must have some little glitch in your computer. Hopefully one of these three steps above will clear it up for you.

The Geocaching.com Web site forum would seem the better place for this, most of the computer geeks hang out there.

I never get logged off Groundspeak, once a month I might get logged off the regular Geocaching site. I do check the "remember me" box. I use AOL and Mozilla. AOL will go thru a period where they kick me off, this doesn't happen too often. If your posts tend to get a little too long, consider 'copy and paste' to save them.

I went thru that deleting temporary internet files thing, it is time consuming. A few months ago this computer was getting so that I dreaded going on line. The pop ups were horrendous and the glitches were worse than ever. That's when I went to Mozilla, and probably the best thing was installing Ad-Aware. It's free, and best of all, most of the problems went away and not one pop up since. Yes, I'm knocking on wood. :D

The Geocaching.com Web site forum would seem the better place for this, most of the computer geeks hang out there.

I never get logged off Groundspeak, once a month I might get logged off the regular Geocaching site. I do check the "remember me" box. I use AOL and Mozilla. AOL will go thru a period where they kick me off, this doesn't happen too often. If your posts tend to get a little too long, consider 'copy and paste' to save them.

I went thru that deleting temporary internet files thing, it is time consuming. A few months ago this computer was getting so that I dreaded going on line. The pop ups were horrendous and the glitches were worse than ever. That's when I went to Mozilla, and probably the best thing was installing Ad-Aware. It's free, and best of all, most of the problems went away and not one pop up since. Yes, I'm knocking on wood. :D

Yup...there were lots of things I couldn't do in the forums with IE, so I switched to Netscape. I run Ad Aware, too, and have for a few years now. It's great!

Not to be rude or anything mtn_man this topic is about how we get dropped or booted of the thing and have to login again.

Hmmm.... who to believe?

The 13yr old who signed up 2 days ago?

Or one of the administrators of this website?

Hmmmmm......

Logic dictates that I should believe the site administrator, but this is mtn-man we're talking about! :D

Interestingly, When I tried to reply to this topic, I had to log in... the first time in several months.

PS: I'm not 13 either. :D

Septic dude i have been with geocaching since i was 10 (i've had to tell this story alot so forgive me if i seem rude) I had an acoount and my name was vash the stampede or something. I was with my grandparents when i did it. When i went

home i had to goto school had lots of homework and didnt go on for a year, i forgot what my name was and my passwsord and by then i didnt care that much about geocaching to get a new account, but recently i got interested again and made a new account. (i changed my email so i cant get my old one back)

Theyre you have it. :D