Anyone Want To Go Above The Clouds With Me?

Bull Moose

So just because I am still a bit new:  If an approver disables a cache, then it can not be opened back up by the owner?  The disabling approver would have to do that?  Am I correct?  And how do you get to be an approver with no finds?  Really, I am not trying to stir the sh*t here, just curious.  I would love to be an approver but figured I had better get more finds/placements under my belt before even looking into it.

Thanks.

Actually, a disabled cache is easily re-enabled by the owner. It's when the cache is archived that you will need the approver's help in unarchiving the cache.

Read disabled as temporary and archived as permanent.

Ahhh I see. Thanks.

I suppose I should have disabled this anyway. The only reason I didn't is two fold. No one can climb or get close to the mountain as is due to the authorities blocking it off and therefore when they open things up again it would be an auto-re-enabling of the cache. The second reason is I doubt the all the caches in Florida were disabled when 4 hurricanes came along (everyone allready knows). Anyway I'll watch the St Hellens site and re-enable when climbing permits resume.

"USGS Information - Updated October 4, 2004 at 0770 Hours (7:00 am) PDT

Results from GPS measurements indicate no significant deformation of the outer flanks of the volcano. However, visual observations and photographic analysis show large-scale uplift (10’s of meters) of part of the glacier and a nearby segment of the lava dome. Yesterday a field crew installed a new GPS instrument on the dome and also measured the distance from the Johnston Ridge Observatory to the dome.

Today we will receive a remotely operated video camera that will be installed on the crater rim from the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. Today field crews will work at installing additional seismometers on the flanks of the volcano and will continue to harden the GPS sites and download data. "

Wow, those guys are walking around on the dome!

Can you see your cache from the camera or have the coordinates changed with the growing size of the volcano, do you think?

The cache is on the oppostite side of the mountain than the camera faces.

Cache is on the south slope camera points at where the north slope used to be but is now "the breech."

I suppose I should have disabled this anyway. The only reason I didn't is two fold. No one can climb or get close to the mountain as is due to the authorities blocking it off and therefore when they open things up again it would be an auto-re-enabling of the cache. The second reason is I doubt the all the caches in Florida were disabled when 4 hurricanes came along (everyone allready knows). Anyway I'll watch the St Hellens site and re-enable when climbing permits resume.

A video just surfaced today, taken by someone who disregarded the closures and hiked up to the rim. The USFS says that he isn't the first one to have done so since the mountain has been closed to all climbing. They also said he would have been killed if he had been up there during any of the recent events. Evidently constant earthquakes, roadblocks and park closures aren't enough to keep everyone away.

Nice pics EraSeek this is the best I could do on Tuesday!

nikki.jpg

One of my newely Deputized Jr. Forest Rangers proudly showcasing her new shinny badge with the St. Helens in the back gound.

I took the twins out of school and I guarantee they leared more that day than they would have in a week at school! Hands on learing once in a while is the best.

The ranger that deputized the twins asked what CITO meant that she found on there paperwork as an answer. She was mighty impressed!

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

Very cool picture, Pepper! Must be Coldwater ridge observation center. I've canoed Coldwater lake and hiked the next closest ridge over. If you ever get a chance, Johnston ridge is an awesome spot. Next chance I get, rather than climbing the mountain, I'm hiking the trails down off of Johnston ridge.

As far as I know Johnston Ridge is still closed.  All visitors have been moved back to Coldwater.

Yes. I don't think you can even go down the hill to the lake right now. The Coldwater visitors center is it for now.

Yes it was Coldwater and I did see the lake and picnic area below, they had that closed up tight!

My plan is to go back when Johnston is open and there's a dusting of snow?

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

Some area roads and trails have re-opened:

UPDATE ON Area, Road, and Trail Closures

Vancouver, WA, The Gifford Pinchot National Forest officials have decided to reopen some areas previously closed around Mount St. Helens to provide access to recreationists and hunters. However, forest visitors are cautioned that the mountain remains in a state of intense unrest, and that an eruption could occur with very little warning. The USGS and Forest Service will continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue additional updates to closures as appropriate.

The Forest Service, USGS in consultation with law enforcement agencies have refined area and road closures to reflect current and predicted volcanic activity, hazard zones and to balance public safety with recreational access

The existing 5 mile radius area closure around the crater of Mount St. Helens will remain in place. The following areas are now open to public access given the current and predicted volcanic activity.

• Forest Road 8303 is open.

• Ape Cave and Trail of Two Forests recreation sites are open.

• Forest Road 81 between Kalama Horse Camp and the 5 mile radius closure area is open to non-motorized travel. Camping on Road 81 is prohibited.

• Trails accessed from Kalama Horse Camp are open to the boundary of the 5 mile radius closure area. These include trails: 1) Trails #204, #231, #238, and #242.

Closure information will be posted at gated closures and at trailheads. The attached map identifies the 5 mile radius closure area, and any trails or roads that are closed outside the main closure zone.

All areas on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest not affected by the closure are still open to public access. The Forest reminds visitors that camping is allowed in approved areas only.

Trails Notices

October 14, 2004 - Current trail closures include all trails within five miles of the lava dome, including:

#184-Lava Canyon

#207-Truman

#216-Loowit

#216A-Ptarmigan

#227-Independence Pass

#234-Ape Canyon

#237-Blue Lake

#238-Toutle

#240-Sheep Canyon

#229-Hummock

#211-Birth of a Lakes

#224-Harmony