Garmin 60cs Or Magellan Meridian Color?

You're right (about NMEA). :D

Actually, for now, in terms of everything... you're right, I'm wrong! :D

I've gotten alot of terms mixed up and the software I thought I had, actually doesn't do what I was claiming it did. My bad. Although, I now wonder if it is at all possible to get NMEA data spit out on the USB port. There must be a way, because there is a awfully lot of USB only GPS' sold in Europe for the explicit purpose of real-time navigation. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry, vr12... now I'm going out geocaching! I'll have my laptop with me since I want to test Nextel's SLOOOW "dialup" service.

Do not depend on the basemap of the 60C/CS for autorouting, it just isnt good enough.

AutoRouting off the BaseMap in Detroit Michigan Requires at least a GPS V, or GPS map76C/CS at a minimum. The 60C/CS cannot autoroute in Detroit Michigan, except for only the freeways, whereas the 76C/CS will autoroute on any major road in Detroit Michigan.

I needed an AutoRouter GPS for navigating in busy traffic, since im alone, and my GPS V's were just too slow, and i had sold my MeriPlat, if I had only known, I would have kept the MeriPlat to use with the upcomming Direct Route at that time, so I went an bought a good AutoRouter with 56meg memory and Direct connect USB, and it happened to have color. It does help a little more to have some color while driving, to pick out details a little better since my eyes are bad.

WE are getting into debates again simular to the Mapping GPS versus the non mapping GPS units. Now that most GPS units have mapping that Debate is pretty much gone by the wayside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited in:

The memories of the 60C/CS 76C/CS are too small, but here is what I see with the 2 basic GPS models:

60C/CS with a 64 meg memory chip with 56 meg available, leaving 8 megs for basemap, and whatever else.

76C/CS with a 128 meg memory chip with 115 meg available, leaving 13 megs available for Basemap, and whatever else.

Edited by GOT GPS?

The 60C/CS/ 76C/CS were the perfect upgrade for people that already have Garmin accessories like the data/power cable, antenna, and where they already had a GPS 76 dashboard mount. If not for already having these accessories, there would be no problem switching to MeriGold with Direct Route, and having a few memory cards loaded up with all the stuff you needed for your long trips.

Although, I now wonder if it is at all possible to get NMEA data spit out on the USB port. There must be a way, because there is a awfully lot of USB only GPS' sold in Europe for the explicit purpose of real-time navigation. Anyone have any thoughts?

Never had one but I know one thing:

To use 60CS with USB You need drivers from Garmin.

To use it with serial port You don't need any drivers from Garmin.

So I think each of these USB GPSr comes with drivers, which in turns deals with software which must be aware of these drivers. Drivers might even emulate serial port.

Americas Autoroute Basemap:

This basemap comes factory installed with the BMW Motorcycles Navigator, StreetPilot III, StreetPilot 2610, StreetPilot 2620, StreetPilot 2650, StreetPilot 2660, GPS V, GPSMAP 196, GPSMAP 276C, GPSMAP 296, GPSMAP 76C, and GPSMAP 76CS.

SORRY 60 series not included.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs/#

http://www.garmin.com/include/basemaps/ame...te_basemap.html

The 76C/CS does Have this Database loaded in it.

Edited by GOT GPS?

So, how much better is the base map in the 76 then, I forgot about that page listing the difference, but how big of a "usable" difference is it? Also, if I load the detail maps for the local area, it wont make a difference anyways will it? Sorry about all the questions, but this will be my first GPSr and I want it to be my only one for a while. One of my biggest urks is having to upgrade for small "usability" issues. (i.e. the base map quirks.)

if you're going to load detailed maps of an area and use only those then the basemap is irrelevant. however, it would be relevant once outside the coverage area of your detailed maps.

the basemap of the 60 series is definately a subset of that used in the 76 family products.

One eye open and comments to make.

Face it, all the extra stuff on any GPS unit is just that! Extra stuff to use.

You only need a display with Lat Long, Bearing, altitude, heading & a little memory to enter data manually. Then you carry a map & compass to do the rest. EVERY thing else is just stuff people would like to have in a GPS to make their life easier in some way.

The 60CS is by far a better unit. Save some cash by one use it for 5 days send it back and try another. Do this until you are satisfied with what ever unit you like for the way you want it to be. If you can rent them then try that, sure this takes a while to do but in the end you won’t be wondering if you should have bought the other one that could wash your hands instead of clipping your fingernails. Know what I mean?

In the end I think the Garmin will be cheaper after everything is bought including the extras that you might want. Also will depend on what discounts you might find.

I prefer the buttons on the bottom and not the top. I have 3 Garmin’s, III, V and the 60CS. The III works great for what I need it to do, the V and 60CS have the extra stuff I want to play with just because I am a Man and I like all the extra fun things you can do with them. Think about all the options and what will work for you.

Well my comments and $1 now days might get you a cup of Java.

Now go find a Cache!! ;)

Then you agree that a color screen is a waste of money for geocaching, which is what I have been saying. Save the money and get some good titanium hiking stiks, or software, or a day pack or anything that you can use for geocaching.

It all depends on whether or not you use car for geocaching:

Color screen in a car is not a waste of money.

It greatly increase visibility consequently reduce time you spend staring into GPS and not on the road, autorouting audiosignals also helps keep your eyes on the road. Does MeriColor have audiosignals ? I hope it does, because it is natural to have audiosignals in autorouting units.

I do use a GPS in my truck, Meridian Gold and Direct route software. I use the compass style screen or the screen that list all your route changes about 95% of the time. For these screen color is of no advantage, the few times I use the map sreen monochrome works just fine, Big Heavy line is the one to follow, very easy to do.

Yes Meridian does have auto signels if you use map send direct route software, It has a visual and an audio signel, I have to use the visual after 25 years of being a fireworks pyrotechnician my hearing is not what it once was (Even with hearing protection) My girl friend just lets me know when it beeps.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Yea, I gotcha. I went ahead and bought the cable from my favorite Garmin cable retailer (rnrplace). $16.49, not expensive.. but a hassle. Great cables though (in reference to the cables rnrplace sells).  ;)

You need to have a better attitude.... You just spent $400+ on something and you sound like you hate it! You are just kicking yourself in the butt here... The 60c/cs is a great gps, you just have to get out and use the dadgum thing! Stop looking for something to pick apart and get outside! ;)

Stop listening to leatherman and johnny too... They have always hated Garmin GPS's and for no particular reason. Ignore what they say and you'll be good.

I have lots of reasons not to care for Garmin as a company, which I have list in the forumes. Will I sell Garmin in the shop I may open in the fall, Yes.

I the past I have told Garmin reps what is wrong with there company when placing orders.

I have had reps ask me what is wrong with their products, they do want to know.

Part of the problem is with the bean counters, We cann't add this it might drive the price up $2.00 at the retail level, (No one will want it)

Must get rid of this feature have to get the price down. (No one will miss it)

One thing no one has mentioned (that I saw anyway) is that the 60CS will do routing with their base map and topo software.  Meridians will only route with the DirectRoute software.

I use my GPSr for caching as well as traveling.  The screen is great in the car...and when hunting a cache.  Does the color "help" me find a cache?  No.  But then again I guess I could be a Neanderthal and walk barefoot to a cache instead of wearing shoes since the shoes don't help me find a cache either.

But, everything else being said.  Use whatever friggin' GPS you want to.  I just happen to use my 60CS much more than my MeriPlat.  Why?  Because I enjoy it more!  ;)

Sindigo

Auto routing with a TOPO map. Gee that does not make a lot of sense unless you picking each waypoint in the order to want them, but that is not auto routing.

Shoes do help you get to a cache, so they do make it easier, COLOR DOES NOT

Edited by JohnnyVegas

On another note… while I think I am awake.

As humans we spend $$$$$ on stuff we don’t really need.

As JohnnyVegas will agree - Fireworks – people buy fireworks at ungodly amounts of $$$ so they can enjoy all the bright lights, colors, shapes, KaBoom’s, Flashes and just plan noise. A Secret – as a Pyrotechnician we enjoy it more because we are closer to DANGER, KaBoom’s, Flashes, Colors, Bright Lights and pure Adrenalin Rush of Low Breaks, Mortars blowing up, Hot Re-Loading of a Manual Show’s – err hum - Oops sorry started to get carried away… I got excited for a second…. Anyway – point is we buy stuff to enjoy no mater how useless it might be to someone else.

I like the color screen on the 60CS; it works great in direct sun light or not. No hand held Magellan can match the color screen resolution as of this date 7/13/04. Does it have a bunch of options that I might use once, you bet, but I enjoy it never the less and wanted to pay $400 for it because it had the added extra stuff I wanted to use.

Does a color screen make using a GPS better? To some people that might be true. Visually color can make the world of difference to many people. If fireworks were black and white 95% of the world population would not like to watch them.

So, at this point I have 3 GPS’s that work really well for what I would like to do with them. Now I am thinking about getting a PDA with the built in GPS, Compass & Mapping program to work with it. Do I need it –NO- in fact my wife will cut me off for a year if I get it, but I am still thinking about it. Will I buy it? I am not stupid! I like not being cut off!!

To sum this up… you need to decide what you want in a GPS and not one unit will have everything you want or not want in it; you pick what will be the best for you.

Auto routing with a TOPO map. Gee that does not make a lot of sense unless you picking each waypoint in the order to want them, but that is not auto routing.

Actually, it does make sense. But since you can't do it on your MeriGold you wouldn't know.

Here is an actual example. When I head to southern Utah for geocaching, there are many caches near forest service/ATV roads. These roads aren't on the basemap (obviously) and aren't on MS City Select. But they are on the MS Topo maps. So, instead of having my nose buried in a paper map figuring out when to take which forest service/ATV road, the 60CS tells me. That is safer AND more convenient...and IT IS AUTOROUTING!

You'd have to be colorblind to say that color doesn't, in many cases, make finding caches easier. To reiterate what others have said, a color screen shows items such as parks, waterways, trails, roads, etc. much more clearly (to me). There is obviously no changing your mind...which is fine. But I take that you aren't reading these forums on a monochrome monitor. Oh wait...color is great for EVERYTHING but geocaching. Now I get it.

Sindigo

Actually, it does make sense. But since you can't do it on your MeriGold you wouldn't know.

Here is an actual example. When I head to southern Utah for geocaching, there are many caches near forest service/ATV roads. These roads aren't on the basemap (obviously) and aren't on MS City Select. But they are on the MS Topo maps. So, instead of having my nose buried in a paper map figuring out when to take which forest service/ATV road, the 60CS tells me. That is safer AND more convenient...and IT IS AUTOROUTING!

You'd have to be colorblind to say that color doesn't, in many cases, make finding caches easier. To reiterate what others have said, a color screen shows items such as parks, waterways, trails, roads, etc. much more clearly (to me). There is obviously no changing your mind...which is fine. But I take that you aren't reading these forums on a monochrome monitor. Oh wait...color is great for EVERYTHING but geocaching. Now I get it.

Sindigo

OK, color doesn't help you find a cache any easier but it will help with roads and other complex mapping. GPS maps are so small that anything you can do to make a map more "readable" is an advantage

I would like to go on record as "likeing" Color screens for the way I use a GPS and I would pay a premium for it.

I think "most" on here probably agree that color is a desirable feature and that they would like their next gps to have it.

I would like to go on record as "likeing" Color screens for the way I use a GPS and I would pay a premium for it.

I think "most" on here probably agree that color is a desirable feature and that they would like their next gps to have it.

KB9NVH Jul 13 2004, 10:39 AM

Agreed!

Also, the Auto routing is a bonus and works well.

I do use a GPS in my truck, Meridian Gold and Direct route software. I use the compass style screen or the screen that list all your route changes about 95% of the time. For these screen color is of no advantage, the few times I use the map sreen monochrome works just fine, Big Heavy line is the one to follow, very easy to do.

You prefer it because you don't have color.

60C/CS have compass-like page too, But I don't use because looking at the map

or Highway page is much better way to do it.

Ive used just about any other GPS in the car, but the Night Color mode is the best on a 60C/CS. I have been given holy heck by the driver in the past, using a GPS V, because the Backlight was enough to distract the driver. The 60C/CS was the first Handheld to use a black background for night use that does not bother the driver when it is so dark outside the car. I had asked for Garmin to come out with Night mode for hand held for this very reason. The color night mode is far better at night than a regular gps with backlight, and of couse the GPS V's display when I cut down the backlight and increase the contrast, is quite bad. In the Day time a Black n White Display is enough. I feel there is no need of a GPS better than a Magellan GPS 315 for caching, except for when you are neer swamp lands.

So Color comes into play when you are driving, and you need to watch the road, and you are taking quick peeks at the GPS.

On every B&W GPS ive had, Ive had to turn off background mapping when ON parklands, so I can see my tracklogs when Im doing my Hikes. With the Color, there is NO having to turn off the background mapping to see the tracklog.

Try some caches with a very basic GPS like the GPS 315, it's actually fun, and more challenging.

Edited by GOT GPS?

You prefer it because you don't have color.

60C/CS have compass-like page too, But I don't use because looking at the map

or Highway page is much better way to do it.

No, the large arrow is a lot easier to see regardless of what color your screen is. When you are driving you want to use the easiet screen there is in any GPS color or monochrome, unless you enjoy being a traffic hazard, it is a safety issue also.

The screens on a hand held GPS are to small to read up in the dash board of a car.

depending on the garmin unit they can be quite good for in-car use.

some models support "big numbers" mode which can give you numbers approaching 1" in size. easy to see from over 8 feet away.

also the turn by turn models do not require you to monitor the map screen with the tiny text labels. instead a turn page pops up on the screen with a big arrow showing the next piece of guidance info - turn left, right, stay straight or whatever. again, very easy to see from a distance. a beep (or voice) tells you when you need to look at this screen - otherwise you keep your eyes on the road.

nice stuff. :unsure:

No, the large arrow is a lot easier to see regardless of what color your screen is. When you are driving you want to use the easiet screen there is in any GPS color or monochrome, unless you enjoy being a traffic hazard, it is a safety issue also.

The screens on a hand held GPS are to small to read up in the dash board of a car.

Color arrow is even easier to see :unsure:

I just had the Meridian Color and the Garmin 60C and eTrex Legend side by side. The Meridian only has 19,200 pixels (160x120) while the etrex has 38,720 pixels (176x220) and the 60c has a 160x240 display (38,400 pixels)

Twice the resolution is a huge deal, especially on larger scale maps where a pixel can easily cover thousands of feet. And the text can be smaller showing more info, while also looking cleaner.

In order to find out the accuracy of the magellan unit, you need to go into about 3 submenus to turn it on. And if you don't know what EPE means, you may never figure it out since it's not in the manual.

The Garmin unit is far superior in regards to display and usability in my opinion. And it's also a sleeker loking unit.

Oh, last thing, if you barely touch the power button, it will go off. Not a good feature.

Guess that depends on your eyesight. Personally I find the 60c is pretty easy to read on the dash. When it bleeps at me, I just kinda glance at it, figure out what it's saying, and it's no big deal. The large zoomed turn display is pretty simple to read. (And I have to admit, I was somewhat concerned before buying whether the size of display would be adequate).

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't argue with a larger display, although that would seriously disrupt the portability.

To each his own, I'd take higher resolution any day of the week. I just wanted to give the facts, and you guys can decide what's more important to you. Just want people to realize, having the same size screen doesn't mean the image will be the same. Having the same size pixels, however, does.

In order to find out the accuracy of the magellan unit, you need to go into about 3 submenus to turn it on.  And if you don't know what EPE means, you may never figure it out since it's not in the manual.

Of course, that only matters if you believe those figures; I use the EPE (Or garmins "accuracy" figure) mostly to judge how long someone has been using a GPSr. If you still want it, it's displayed on the position screen when the unit is not averaging

Oh, last thing, if you barely touch the power button, it will go off.  Not a good feature.

If you have software version 4.06 or above there is an option in the setup menu to turn on power button guard. To shut the unit off you have to hit the power button, followed by the enter button in five seconds.

Wyatt W.

I just had the Meridian Color and the Garmin 60C and eTrex Legend side by side.  The Meridian only has 19,200 pixels (160x120) while the etrex has 38,720 pixels (176x220) and the 60c has a 160x240 display (38,400 pixels)

Twice the resolution is a huge deal, especially on larger scale maps where a pixel can easily cover thousands of feet.  And the text can be smaller showing more info, while also looking cleaner.

In order to find out the accuracy of the magellan unit, you need to go into about 3 submenus to turn it on.  And if you don't know what EPE means, you may never figure it out since it's not in the manual.

The Garmin unit is far superior in regards to display and usability in my opinion.  And it's also a sleeker loking unit.

Oh, last thing, if you barely touch the power button, it will go off.  Not a good feature.

Do yourself a favor, get a peice of paper and cut a hole in it the same size as your GPS screen, then place it over a TOPO map and you will see how usless a topo map can be on a GPS screen. IF you zoom in you do not see enough terrain. If you zoom back you lose all the detail. Your are better of with a paper map that shows your waypoints.

On the subject of TOPO maps on a GPS screen, with Magellan you get a terrain projection, also with Magellan TOPO map software you also get street names included which can be usefull also.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Do yourself a favor, get a peice of paper and cut a hole in it the same size as your GPS screen, then place it over a TOPO map and you will see how usless a topo map can be on a GPS screen. IF you zoom in you do not see enough terrain. If you zoom back you lose all the detail. Your are better of with a paper map that shows your waypoints.

This is very true unless you have a photographic memory as you are scrolling around the Topo map in the little bitty GPS screen, also when you are in a state or national park, it is best to have the Topo Maps on Paper, and even a compass that you can set down on the map to figure out some of your bearings manually. It can be fun to do things this way too.

Edited by GOT GPS?
[quote Do yourself a favor, get a peice of paper and cut a hole in it the same size as your GPS screen, then place it over a TOPO map and you will see how usless a topo map can be on a GPS screen. IF you zoom in you do not see enough terrain. If you zoom back you lose all the detail. Your are better of with a paper map that shows your waypoints.

On the subject of TOPO maps on a GPS screen, with Magellan you get a terrain projection, also with Magellan TOPO map software you also get street names included which can be usefull also.

Yes, my friend who has the platinum just told me the other day that he didnt' use his topo maps as much as he though he would. He's a hunter and I think uploades his data to oziexplorer.

The platinum was a strong contender to the gps V I fiannlly got. If not for autorouting I probably would have gone for the cheaper price and better memory.

I now wonder if it is at all possible to get NMEA data spit out on the USB port. There must be a way, because there is a awfully lot of USB only GPS' sold in Europe for the explicit purpose of real-time navigation. Anyone have any thoughts?

Since it's well established the 60C/76C units don't do NMEA over USB, I'll assume your musing isn't that of a user wondering what knob to turn, but rather on the more ethereal "is it possible to use an isochronous or bulk pipe over an open USB channel to transfer logical NMEA sentences", I'll answer that it certainly is.

But even if you do this, you're still in the boat of requiring all consumers of that data (i.e. Streets & Trips, Delorme, etc.) to learn device specific protocols and roll out new versions as there isn't a USB class specification that would allow vendor neutraility. So all the programs would have to bump versions, go through a complete Development/QA/Release cycle, and so on _anyway_ and you'd still be waiting for versions of all your favorite programs to be updated.

You cannot, of course, conform to the _electrical_ component of the NMEA standard over the USB interface; you cannot plug it into your NMEA autopilot system and expect it to work.

Gotcha, makes sense. What I was thinking was more along the lines of a program like 'GpsGate.' Something that would sit in between the program/gps and make all the data coming in from the USB actually appear to be coming from a COM port (to eliminate the need for every single program to conform right away). Although, I admit I don't know anything about programming and am NOT sure if such a thing is even possible. Just a thought... ;)

Edited by pcmike
I have had my 60cs since they first shipped. Can say that the turn by turn symbols overlayed on the main map view are the only way I would go. As to the color, can only ditto the positive remarks I have read alreadfy. Bottom line, I recommend the 60cs to all my friends. The Geocache function is especially important to me.

SergeantMajor

food for thought

I do not see any advantage to a color screen over a monochrome screen for geocaching.

Does the color screen make the GPS more accurate, No.

Does the color screen make it it easier to navigate, No

Does the color screen make it easier to see the arrow in the compass screen, No

Will you find more caches will a color screen, No

Does the color screen add to the price, Yes

Does it look cool, Yes

If you want to spend money on the cool factor it makes sense, but it's not going to work any better than a monochrome screen.

There is nothing better then a color screen when wanting to use a Topo map. It makes it so much easier to differentiate between a stream, trail, road, or topo line. So yes it does make it much much easier to navigate.

60CS. 100%. You will not be dissappointed at all with the 60CS. You might not be dissappointed with the Color Meridian... until you hold it next to a 60CS :o

Seriously though, I think it's a completely better unit. Better routing (which you'll need additional software for the Magellan anyway), better color, newer with new & interesting firmware updates coming out. You can even customize your icons on it now.

Color screen is so very nice once you have it. Esp. the 60CS's. It's quite stunning. Neccessary? No. But you could cache with an eTrex yellow too. So we've gone beyond the point of neccesary and into niceties. If you're getting into this echelon of GPS units, I say 60CS all the way. You won't regret it.

On another note… while I think I am awake.

As humans we spend $$$$$ on stuff we don’t really need.

As JohnnyVegas will agree - Fireworks – people buy fireworks at ungodly amounts of $$$ so they can enjoy all the bright lights, colors, shapes, KaBoom’s, Flashes and just plan noise. A Secret – as a Pyrotechnician we enjoy it more because we are closer to DANGER, KaBoom’s, Flashes, Colors, Bright Lights and pure Adrenalin Rush of Low Breaks, Mortars blowing up, Hot Re-Loading of a Manual Show’s – err hum - Oops sorry started to get carried away… I got excited for a second…. Anyway – point is we buy stuff to enjoy no mater how useless it might be to someone else.

I like the color screen on the 60CS; it works great in direct sun light or not. No hand held Magellan can match the color screen resolution as of this date 7/13/04. Does it have a bunch of options that I might use once, you bet, but I enjoy it never the less and wanted to pay $400 for it because it had the added extra stuff I wanted to use.

Does a color screen make using a GPS better? To some people that might be true. Visually color can make the world of difference to many people. If fireworks were black and white 95% of the world population would not like to watch them.

So, at this point I have 3 GPS’s that work really well for what I would like to do with them. Now I am thinking about getting a PDA with the built in GPS, Compass & Mapping program to work with it. Do I need it –NO- in fact my wife will cut me off for a year if I get it, but I am still thinking about it. Will I buy it? I am not stupid! I like not being cut off!!

To sum this up… you need to decide what you want in a GPS and not one unit will have everything you want or not want in it; you pick what will be the best for you.

And they pay me to set them off for them.

I have had my 60cs since they first shipped. Can say that the turn by turn symbols overlayed on the main map view are the only way I would go. As to the color, can only ditto the positive remarks I have read alreadfy. Bottom line, I recommend the 60cs to all my friends. The Geocache function is especially important to me.

SergeantMajor

food for thought

I do not see any advantage to a color screen over a monochrome screen for geocaching.

Does the color screen make the GPS more accurate, No.

Does the color screen make it it easier to navigate, No

Does the color screen make it easier to see the arrow in the compass screen, No

Will you find more caches will a color screen, No

Does the color screen add to the price, Yes

Does it look cool, Yes

If you want to spend money on the cool factor it makes sense, but it's not going to work any better than a monochrome screen.

There is nothing better then a color screen when wanting to use a Topo map. It makes it so much easier to differentiate between a stream, trail, road, or topo line. So yes it does make it much much easier to navigate.

1st, you do not need a color screen to fid a GEOCACHE, I am not talking about cross country navigation. 95% of the time while GEOCACHING you are goind to use the campass style screen.

2nd. your are not going to find any software that will include everylittle back country trail in the country.

3rd. YOur best bet for a TOPO map is prit out a large one and take that, a topo mapon a little GPS screen is not very usefull compared to a large map.

A topo map the size of a match book might be cool, so what

1st, you do not need a color screen to fid a GEOCACHE, I am not talking about cross country navigation. 95% of the time while GEOCACHING you are goind to use the campass style screen.

I always use a map page.

And again we compare two color units here.

Edited by vr12

Hey JV, we get it...you dont want a color screen for geocaching. Thats OK with me.

So if I want a color screen to geocach with (or anything else)..just shut up and sell me one (you are going to be selling these things right?).

There's room here for the colored and he monochrome. We CAN live in peace, side by side....

I find it ironic that we're in the GPS Units and Software page, and JohhnyVegas seems to shouting about how they're not great, paper maps are better. Fine, go use them. But almost everyone here has a GPSr. THAT'S WHY WE'RE HERE, not to debate whether we should go amish style and use the shadow of the sun to calculate our position, and find a geocache by judging the amount of fur on a caterpillar. That being said, let's move on. PLEASE!!

2nd. your are not going to find any software that will include everylittle back country trail in the country.

3rd. YOur best bet for a TOPO map is prit out a large one and take that, a topo mapon a little GPS screen is not very usefull compared to a large map.

1. Most of us have to navigate to get to the cache. So while color may not make a huge difference once your actually caching it is going to help you get that far.

2. You may not find software that will include every trail but why not push for software that does? or use the software that includes the most for the area your interested in.

3. The best bet on a topo map is a laptop. You can carry the world with you and zoom in to any detail level that you want. Next best and more practical for carrying is a PPC. A paper map is nice for a backup but since we're all GPS users here there is nothing better than being plotted on an electronic version of that paper map as you move or being able to precisely plot coordinates on the map.

3. The best bet on a topo map is a laptop.

The best topo maps are pieces of paper.

I am fortunate to own nearly a complete set of highly detailed topographical maps for British Coloumbia.

If you get a map with lat. and lon. markings on the side and one of those plotting grids ( those funky X shaped rulers for plotting map coords.) you cant beat a topo and a GPS.

Anyway, maps and a compass do not run out of battery power :blink:

I do admit, and do not want to get yelled at for, GPS is an extremely powerful tool that the colour of the screen makes no difference on its effectiveness.

Edited by canoehead
I had the MeriColor, and I found it to be hard to use outdoors in bright sunlight, I much prefered the MeriPlat for Geocaching. The MeriColor is nearly perfect for Auto Navigation with backlight on and plugged into external power. I did return the MeriColor GPS the next day because the screen on my unit was krap in the outdoors.

The 60C is perfect outdoors except for nagging scratches on it's screen. It is nearly a perfect GPS except for the memory being only half the size that it should have been for a trip from Detroit to Tampa Florida. The 60C in the Car is Krap without the backlight ON and the GPS plugged into external power. Here is where my 60C's screen washes out inside the car, due to glare. With tons of glare from indirect light, I have to keep my backlight on all the time in my car. The one thing though is that any GPS in a car on a very bright sunny day can be hard to read, when the sun don't shine on the GPS's Display. If I had a screen protector on the 60C with Anti-Glare, I would buy some of the stuff.

Anybody know of Anti-Glare Screen Protectors that will work on a 60C?

I use polarized sun glasses and that cut the indirect light from reflecting off the 60cs screen by at least 90%..

So in terms of accuracy which is better? and who has more accurate maps, garmin or magellan?

I don't think that accuracy of these two units is much different

I have accuracy better then 17 feet most of the time. In open field 10 feet is normal.

Edited by vr12
So in terms of accuracy which is better? and who has more accurate maps, garmin or magellan?

Well, I can tell you this... on Sunday while caching in a local park my 60CS was over 20ft better than one of my partner's Magellan Sporttak Map. :D We both went to the spot where our GPS' zeroed out and I ended up being 6-9ft away from the cache, whereas he happened to be standing about 20ft behind me (same diangonal line straight to the cache). He actually ended up signing the log with his name followed by: "Garmin VS. Magellan. Garmin won!" :(

Also, in regards to the screen protectors... I've got a PDA screen cover on my unit (not polarized, but it works well).