Pre-made Micros

There was one in a cache that I recently did. I said to my partner, looks like a cache inside a cache. Then I realized that someone left it there for someone else to hide it. When I opened it up though, people had signed it too..lol

They just give someone a reason to hide yet another lame micro instead of thinking and hiding creatively.

Can you tell I'm not a huge fan of micros? LOL

I do like the CITO containers though.

Edited by PandyBat

I've left pre made smaller caches. Not quite micros but 1/2 pint Lock n' Locks and decon boxes complete with logbook pencil, Ziplocs, GC.COM micro stickers, laminated geocaching letter and in a few I even added trade items. Wheresgeorge bills, Indian head pennies, Kennedy halves, etc....

One was traded out and placed. One was traded out and I have no idea what happened to it. Two others I found inside another cache, so someone moved them around but never planted them and the rest are who knows where. Maybe still in the cache I originally placed them in.

I put a some work into them and they aren't exactly moving like hotcakes.

Edited by briansnat

I think it's a great idea, and yes, if I had something worthy, I would definitely trade for it. In my job, I do a great deal of travelling, and often find myself in large, urban centers. "Lame" micros give me a chance to get out and do a little 'caching without having to go too far. I for one like them... :bad:

I like it.  Think I'll go home and vacuum seal a few sandwich container sized caches tonight.

Will it have a sandwich as a FTF prize? If it does I might just be FTF.

Now we're talking. A port of subs gift certificate for the placer and the FTF.

Around mid winter we seem to stop getting new caches placed so I've been working on a seed cache, this might work better.

Do you think that Pre-Made Micros would make a good trade item? Somthing like a film canister or pill bottle covered in camo tape complete with a log and pencil. If you found one of these in a cache, would you take it?

Film tubes, no. They always seem to end up being wet inside. You can go to places like wal-mart and get plastic match holders cheap. I made up a couple like that and left them in some caches with a little note. AFAIK none have been placed. Decon and L&L would be cool too.

The downside could be that you would sway someone to placing a micro, just because they have a micro, instead of creating something different.

And requiring people to place a cache to get a find is still stupid.

Is a plastic match holder any better than a pill bottle? Also, where do you get the decon containers?

Thanks!

I'd say yea. They have an rubber oring seal, and an easy off screw cap. It whats that guy was selling over here.

Decons can be found at many army/navy stores (some cheap, some not), and I think also usually at cheaperthandirt.com

I get all my ammoboxes, decons, and alot of related cache materials at ArmySurplusWarehouse.com. Fortunately, the warehouse is also on my way to work, so I don't pay shipping.

When I placed this cache, the whole intent was to infuse the area with new caches. It is a 1 star stop and go .50 ammocan. Many of the containers inside had been modified magnetized or camo'd when I stocked the cache. Folks didn't seem to have an issue with placing those caches, and we all reaped the rewards. At least one of those caches became a now active cachers first hide.

The cache that inspired mine was a prolific seed cache placed by our own RK. One of my first cache hides was spawned from that cache.