Abject Silliness Has To Move

I'm pleading with TBTB...please move the AS thread to a fourmm of it's own. I'm getting tired of signing onto the forums and seeing that a new post has been made, just to find out that it's to the AS thread! :lol:

So please move it to a home of it's own. It has nothing to do with caching, so why harbour it in a fourm that is strictly monitored to keep threads on topic? Makes no sense to me. :unsure:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way...

El Diablo

I agree. Move it to the bottom of the system somewhere. it's always the first topic and it has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching. I've read some of it and it's just plain silly.

Like hunting boxes of tupperware in the woods with a billion dollar satellite navigation system isn't silly, but then I digress... :lol:

An off topic/lounge forum would be nice, very nice. Everythign can't be about caching all the time, and it'll allow us to get to know each other better by the type of things they post.

It'll be a bunch of silly, silly stuff in the beginning, but will soon stabilize, and even have some caching-related topics.

So what's the problem with seeing it at the top of the page? Is someone holding a gun to your head making you read it? I just don't get it. Maybe I check the forums a different way than you. I always check for new posts using the link at the top of the page, or by going through "My Assistant" and checking for new posts. Either way, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me whether there is a new post at the top that I want to read or not.....I simply skip it. Doesn't seem like an earth shattering problem to have to skip a thread on the list....I skip lots of them everyday. Nope, just don't see the problem at all......at least not with the way the forums are set up. I do, however, see another problem, but to comment on it would surely raise my warning meter. :lol:

So what's the problem with seeing it at the top of the page? Is someone holding a gun to your head making you read it? I just don't get it. Maybe I check the forums a different way than you. I always check for new posts using the link at the top of the page, or by going through "My Assistant" and checking for new posts. Either way, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me whether there is a new post at the top that I want to read or not.....I simply skip it. Doesn't seem like an earth shattering problem to have to skip a thread on the list....I skip lots of them everyday. Nope, just don't see the problem at all......at least not with the way the forums are set up. I do, however, see another problem, but to comment on it would surely raise my warning meter. :lol:

Ok Sparky. You've been warned before. Now go crawl back into Abject Silliness, and don't come out again. :unsure:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Yes, it should be moved. I posted a thread like this a few weeks back. It's a waste of everyone's time to use the forum view page, click on Geocaching Topics because AS has been updated (and you don't know what else has), just to click "Mark all as read" for the hundredth time. It's obvious that many of us use the forums the same way, to determine which forums to go in that have been updated. It's obvious from some AS poster replies that either they don't use the forums in the same manner or they just don't get it.

Please move it to its own forum. It has nothing to do with Geocaching so why have it in the Geocaching Topics section? Create another forum for "Non-geocaching topics" and let it live (or whatever way you want to describe that thread) in that forum.

Edited by Team DEMP
It's a waste of everyone's time to use the forum view page, click on Geocaching Topics because AS has been updated (and you don't know what else has), just to click "Mark all as read" for the hundredth time.

I disagree. And just how much time does it take to do that? Still don't see the problem as stated. Methinks it's more personal than that.

I disagree.  And just how much time does it take to do that?  Still don't see the problem as stated.  Methinks it's more personal than that.

I guess you missed the part about "... or they just don't get it."

In the main forum view page at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=idx it seems some (or many) of us use this page to determine if there are new posts in the forum sections we monitor.

Since AS is updated 500+ times a day, the main forum page indicates that there are new or updated threads in the Geocaching Topics section. All that is shown though is the most recent updated thread. So the 500+ times per day, though we're not interested in AS, we need to go into the Geocaching topic to see if there's other updated threads. If there aren't, we then need to scroll down and click "Mark all as read" which takes us back to the main forum page.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 mins later, it again shows there's an updated thread in the Geocaching Topics section and without going into it, we have no idea if it's just AS that has been updated, or a thread we might care about. So again we enter the forum, see just AS has been updated, scroll to the bottom, Mark All As Read again, and the process goes on and on throughout the day.

If AS was in its own forum, I'd ignore the forum like I ignore, as an example, the International Forums. At least if it was out of Geocaching Topics, updates to threads in the GT forum would be relevant to a much larger audience of forum participants.

Get it yet?

Edited by Team DEMP
I disagree.  And just how much time does it take to do that?  Still don't see the problem as stated.  Methinks it's more personal than that.

I guess you missed the part about "... or they just don't get it."

In the main forum view page at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=idx it seems some (or many) of us use this page to determine if there are new posts in the forum sections we monitor.

Since AS is updated 500+ times a day, the main forum page indicates that there are new or updated threads in the Geocaching Topics section. All that is shown though is the most recent updated thread. So the 500+ times per day, though we're not interested in AS, we need to go into the Geocaching topic to see if there's other updated threads. If there aren't, we then need to scroll down and click "Mark all as read" which takes us back to the main forum page.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 mins later, it again shows there's an updated thread in the Geocaching Topics section and without going into it, we have no idea if it's just AS that has been updated, or a thread we might care about. So again we enter the forum, see just AS has been updated, scroll to the bottom, Mark All As Read again, and the process goes on and on throughout the day.

If AS was in its own forum, I'd ignore the forum like I ignore, as an example, the International Forums. At least if it was out of Geocaching Topics, updates to threads in the GT forum would be relevant to a much larger audience of forum participants.

Get it yet?

So change the way you check for new posts to the way I told you. Problem solved and Jeremy doesn't have to take time out from important stuff to fix what ain't broke.

Since my "opposite side of the coin" thread was closed, I'll say it again here:

Seems that Abject Silliness is under attack yet again by people who find it annoying to have to skip a thread instead of reading it. Why? What's the beef with Abject Silliness? I don't buy into the argument that it's "always at the top of the list" when checking for new posts. I don't see how that's even an issue. Does it really take that much time and effort to move on by?

I have the distinct feeling that some people want Abject Silliness to disappear simply because they don't like seeing people having fun together. I've been a regular in Abject Silliness almost as long as I've been a member of the forums, and find that it's a nice break from all the hullabaloo that goes on in the rest of the forums. When I get tired of the endless threads expousing the virtues of cotton vs. nylon, Magellan vs. Garmin, tupperware vs. ammo boxes, I like to come to AS for a break. Something to lighten the mood. I get totally fed up with people who start threads on how to pick a hiking boot, or what socks to wear, when in fact they are personal conversations created under the thin veil of being geocache related. At least in AS, we don't try to hide the fact that what we're talking about has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching, even though we do quite often speak of geocaching. Teaching someone how to make a walking stick is no more related to geocaching than a discussion on which octane level of gasoline you should use getting to McDonald's to buy more McToys.

Are the anti-silly people here jealous that we have fun? Do they feel left out? Or are the attacks a compensation for other fears and anxieties they are feeling? Would you rather have the gang of loonies from AS running amok in the other parts of the forums, derailing threads, moaning about the approvers denying yet another miserable attempt at placing a tombstone virtual?

Come on, tell me what your beef is, 'cause I ain't buying any of the stories I've heard yet.

:lol:

Seems that Abject Silliness is under attack yet again by people who find it annoying to have to skip a thread instead of reading it. Why? What's the beef with Abject Silliness? I don't buy into the argument that it's "always at the top of the list" when checking for new posts. I don't see how that's even an issue. Does it really take that much time and effort to move on by?

Yes it does. I could care less what is posted in the thread.

Does My Assistant allow me to filter only the forums I'm interested in or do I need to wade through all the updated threads in every forum? If it's the latter, then it's not useful to me. Maybe to a mod or someone that is interested in every forum, but if you aren't, it's the equivalent of spam and having to wade through messages you don't want in the first place.

Are the anti-silly people here jealous that we have fun? Do they feel left out? Or are the attacks a compensation for other fears and anxieties they are feeling? Would you rather have the gang of loonies from AS running amok in the other parts of the forums, derailing threads, moaning about the approvers denying yet another miserable attempt at placing a tombstone virtual?

Come on, tell me what your beef is, 'cause I ain't buying any of the stories I've heard yet.

You take the forums to serious. Chill out and relax ,It's all about geocaching I thought.

Oh no, we've all be found out.

I've looked at the thread maybe 3 or 4 times since I was aware of the forums to see if there was something interesting in it. After the 3rd or 4th time, I knew it wasn't a thread I was interested in. In fact, I didn't find one thing in it funny.

Are we jealous - now THAT is funny!!! Haha!!

I'm not in this Forum often enough for this to be a problem since I only check in about once or twice a day. That's probably true with most people who visit here as well. It comes to mind that it would help if there was a feature available to mark a topic as 'Ignored'. Don't know if that's in the Forum software or not.

If a person is visiting this Forum often throughout the day, then it might be benificial to learn about the features that are already offered here, as Sparky suggested.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

You take the forums to serious. Chill out and relax ,It's all about geocaching I thought.

Validate your account and we'll talk. :lol:

Boy that sounds a lot like the OFF TOPIC FORUM we all requested.

But I won't hold my breath.

me either, I think the excuse will be bandwidth problems, etc, wahhhh!

take the time to search the forums on why there will not be an off topic forum instead of making up reasons. It has been stated allready

The appeal of AS escapes me. I don't care for it, so I don't read it. But it doesn't bother me that it is usually at or near the top of the list of threads. It seems to provide a valuable service by providing a place to make silly off topic posts, thereby decreasing the number of silly off topic posts that crop up in other threads.

You know you can edit the quoted text so you don't have to post EVERYTHING from a post you are quoting. I've seen you do this numerous times, so I guess you didn't know you can do it.  I love Abject Silliness and lurk there all the time!  Why can't we get rid of geocaching topics completely, since Abject Silliness is the only worthwhile thread here?

And what's that got to do with the price of tea in China? Running out of arguments on the topic at hand, so you have to resort to insults? Figures. :lol:

EDIT: You can also change anything you want in the quoted posts, too. Did you know that? :unsure:

Edited by Sparky-Watts

With all due respect to Mr. El Diablo,

While we are voicing our “suggestions” and opinions”, I vote that this topic be moved to the more appropriate place in “Geocaching.com Web Site”, as this topic falls under, “Discuss new features (or feature requests), bugs, etc. specific to the Geocaching.com site.”, and not “Discuss Geocaching and related topics here”.

When I click on “Geocaching Topics” and find yet another thread that relates to “non-geocaching topics”, this is a waste of my time. I come here to read posts about geocaching related stuff, not requests for forum placements, changes to the GC.com website, etc.

As far as my views on the “A.S” thread, well… it is just that. I tend to treat it like the music I do not prefer that is played over the speakers at some restaurants. I acknowledge it is there, but tune it out. Sorry Sparky

Would you rather have the gang of loonies from AS running amok in the other parts of the forums, derailing threads, moaning about the approvers denying yet another miserable attempt at placing a tombstone virtual?

That does not seem to stop some people from doing so anyways......

I don't have a problem with the thread but have never posted there and most likely never will. I do check it from time to time tho (BTW 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence' was one of the best John Wayne movies ever). I also support the idea of an off topic forum, there should be a little space available to discuss thing off topic and not necessarily silly.

Sparky-Watts Posted: Jun 19 2004, 08:18 PM 

Cachito Ergo Sum

QUOTE (Shaddy @ Jun 19 2004, 11:13 PM)

Validate your account and we'll talk. 

Why would I want to talk to an ugly disgruntled cat. :lol:

With all due respect to Mr. El Diablo,

While we are voicing our “suggestions” and opinions”, I vote that this topic be moved to the more appropriate place in “Geocaching.com Web Site”, as this topic falls under, “Discuss new features (or feature requests), bugs, etc. specific to the Geocaching.com site.”, and not “Discuss Geocaching and related topics here”.

When I click on “Geocaching Topics” and find yet another thread that relates to “non-geocaching topics”, this is a waste of my time. I come here to read posts about geocaching related stuff, not requests for forum placements, changes to the GC.com website, etc.

As far as my views on the “A.S” thread, well… it is just that. I tend to treat it like the music I do not prefer that is played over the speakers at some restaurants. I acknowledge it is there, but tune it out. Sorry Sparky

Well put, and no need to apologize. At least you are honest and respectful in your posts. That's my point exactly, if you don't like it, it's not that hard to tune it out. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should like AS, or that they should even post in AS. I'm just trying to figure out why it's so hard for some people to click a stupid button and bypass it if they don't like it.

Oh, yeah, Team Demp has posted in AS....not funny posts, either. More like posts to try to derail the thread. Hmmm.....how do you derail a thread that isn't a thread? I.....I.....ummm.....just can't say what I'm thinking right now, it's not PC.

I guess another thing I don't understand is how the same people can complain and make suggestions on how to do away with AS, or at the very least, bury it so they don't waste another 2 seconds of their life clicking a little button, yet never get the point that has been made in every thread like this one:

ABJECT SILLINESS ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE!!!!

Funny, that statement actually has two very true meanings! :lol:

For those of you who don't understand: AS isn't moving, going away, being hidden, etc. Meaning number two: AS rambles along, not really making any headway; in other words, it's not going anywhere....get it, Team Demp? Can I make it anymore clear? Would it help?

Sparky-Watts Posted: Jun 19 2004, 08:18 PM 

Cachito Ergo Sum

QUOTE (Shaddy @ Jun 19 2004, 11:13 PM)

Validate your account and we'll talk. 

Why would I want to talk to an ugly disgruntled cat. :lol:

Beats me, but you've already posted messages directly to me twice now. Is the laundry done yet? Don't wanna get any wrinkles in them socks!

AS has become a semi instant messanger of sorts. It actually is off topic in that ti's use as an IM isn't the original intent of the topic starter. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any isses about that and on occasion I post and get quick answers on things I missed in the forums.

The reason there will be no off topic thread is that it was stated there will be no off topic thread by the only people who have the authority to create on here on this site where it's desired by the people who use the site.

LAST time

While I would really enjoy an off topic forum, I remember reading that it isn't gonna happen. And I enjoy reading AS. It keeps me entertained while I work and proves to me every day that real life is still happening somewhere and that my work is not the end all be all. Sure it is more like reading a chat than actual thread now but it still is pretty silly overall.

Having it pegged to the top would be nice, at least I would never have trouble finding it that way.

I have no advice for those bothered by it showing up as "new posts", but I can understand why that would pose a problem to some folks. Good luck getting a off topic forum created!

-Jennifer

I admit I do not participate in the AS thread. It popped up while I was on vacation and grew so fast I didn't bother reading up on it. Does it's presence bother me? Nah! Does it in any way detract fro my experience here? Nuh uh. Do I sometimes feel out of the loop and consider actually reading it? ocassionally.

As near as I can figure it. The complaints about Abject Silliness center on the inconvenience of it being so popular. Perhaps if your favorite topics had such avid support there wouldn't be any inconvenience for you.

Lighten up, McGraw! I'm a caching fan who also enjoys the comraderie of AS. Having been to several different sites and forums I've found AS to be the most fun and cleanest to visit.

(Sheesh. Some people just don't get it.)

You know you can edit the quoted text so you don't have to post EVERYTHING from a post you are quoting. I've seen you do this numerous times, so I guess you didn't know you can do it.  I love Abject Silliness and lurk there all the time!  Why can't we get rid of geocaching topics completely, since Abject Silliness is the only worthwhile thread here?

And what's that got to do with the price of tea in China? Running out of arguments on the topic at hand, so you have to resort to insults? Figures. :huh:

There was no insult!! It appeared from your postings you were unaware of this ability so I was pointing it out to you.

I haven't run out of any argument. I stated why, as others have, that it's annoying. And I wasn't arguing but stating my opinion and explaining the reasoning behind the original request which I agree with.

As for your constant posting that AS isn't going anywhere, I don't see that as the option being requested. No one cares that AS exists (though you seem to think everyone has a problem with it). We care that it adversely effects our use of the forum and if moved elsewhere it would still exist but not cause the issue being discussed.

I don't see an issue with the with the AS thread. So it's at the top of the page all the time. So, sometimes the screen says there is a new post and it happens to be in AS. Neither bothers me at all. I just ignore the thread and go on to the next one.

Its not a thread that I care about. I've visited it maybe 4 times and posted once, as a joke. But the thread provides a service by keeping a lot of chaff out of the rest of the forums. Besides, a lot of people enjoy it. I've seen people with hundreds, and even thousands of posts there, who I rarely see in the rest of the forums. That could be a good thing. :huh:

Just do what I do. When I see the AS thread on the page, my eyes just move onto the next thread. It doesn't make life more difficult for me, so let the people there have their fun.

Edited by briansnat
I disagree.  And just how much time does it take to do that?  Still don't see the problem as stated. 
So change the way you check for new posts to the way I told you.  Problem solved and Jeremy doesn't have to take time out from important stuff to fix what ain't broke.

Sparks, got to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Our method, you click one time on Geocaching Topics, and everything in GT is right there.

Your method, 1) click My Assistant; 2) x number of new posts since your last visit; 3) click view; 4) close My Assistant; 5) scroll through numerous pages of updated topics, many, if not most of which are in areas of no concern, i.e. Baltic States, etc.

I think it is more efficient to do one click browsing, but it gets old seeing an update, but then just being AS.

I disagree.  And just how much time does it take to do that?  Still don't see the problem as stated.
So change the way you check for new posts to the way I told you.  Problem solved and Jeremy doesn't have to take time out from important stuff to fix what ain't broke.

Sparks, got to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Our method, you click one time on Geocaching Topics, and everything in GT is right there.

Your method, 1) click My Assistant; 2) x number of new posts since your last visit; 3) click view; 4) close My Assistant; 5) scroll through numerous pages of updated topics, many, if not most of which are in areas of no concern, i.e. Baltic States, etc.

I think it is more efficient to do one click browsing, but it gets old seeing an update, but then just being AS.

See the link right next to "My Assistant"? The one that says "View New Posts"? Try that one out. My method:

1.) Click on "View New Posts". And now you're done!

One click browsing of all the new posts. The posts, not forums that had new posts. With your suggested method, you have to click at least twice to find the new posts in a forum. See, pay attention to ol' Sparky, and ya end up actually saving time and benefitting from my overwhelming knowledge! :huh:

See the link right next to "My Assistant"? The one that says "View New Posts"? Try that one out. My method:

1.) Click on "View New Posts". And now you're done!

One click browsing of all the new posts. The posts, not forums that had new posts. With your suggested method, you have to click at least twice to find the new posts in a forum. See, pay attention to ol' Sparky, and ya end up actually saving time and benefitting from my overwhelming knowledge! :huh:

Still have to go through 4 pages, the vast majority of which hold no interest. I still don't see it as the most efficient way to browse posts under Geocaching Topics.

But thanks for showing a new method. I'll still use my way though.

By the way, I don't want to get ride of AS. I just wish there was a way you didn't have to open Geocaching Topics to find that the only new posts were for AS.

While I would really enjoy an off topic forum, I remember reading that it isn't gonna happen. And I enjoy reading AS. It keeps me entertained while I work and proves to me every day that real life is still happening somewhere and that my work is not the end all be all. Sure it is more like reading a chat than actual thread now but it still is pretty silly overall.

Having it pegged to the top would be nice, at least I would never have trouble finding it that way.

I have no advice for those bothered by it showing up as "new posts", but I can understand why that would pose a problem to some folks. Good luck getting a off topic forum created!

-Jennifer

Well, now, here ya go! Pin that thread to the top of the forums!!!! I get tired of having to scan down past a couple of threads about "Cacher xxx Hits 100" , or "Why Do I have Warn 0% under my name?" when the AS regulars are asleep at the wheel.